BrokenTune 1 year ago
I love this book. :)

Btw, I have no doubt that Humboldt was a part of the book's inspiration. At least, he is mentioned in it.
I love this book too now. I loathe "classics" because they are long winded, boring and usually love stories mixed with outdated social commentary. Not to mention horrible translations. But I loved this book. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea arrived this morning by the same translator. I read a kiddies illustrated version of this when I little, so I hope it is even better now. And I've added Around the World in 80 Days to next month's book order. Oxford doesn't have anymore Jules Verne after that. :(
I'm considering The Count of Monte Cristo as well, but historical novels aren't really my thing.

A whole lot of familiar scientists were mentioned in the book. :)
You wouldn't by any chance be familiar with Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World and the other 4 Professor Challenger stories? Are the other 4 worth purchasing a book for?
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Yes! I loved that he mentioned so many scientists and from so many different countries. The whole scientific community aspect of this novel was fab.

My next will be The Mysterious Island, which is a sort of sequel to Twenty Thousand Leagues. I loved Capt. Nemo as a kid, and still do, but the rest of the book doesn't hold as much sway for me as Journey does. 80 Days is fun, but it lacks something for me.

The Count of Monte Cristo is another favourite that I first encountered as a kid. My gran used to read it to me (that and Three Musketeers....I hated her other, more kid-oriented books, especially Heidi). But it is long, and it is heavy on the details of everything that Dantes does. So, it is something that requires a lot of patience...much like Dantes' revenge.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Re Doyle: Not yet but I am slowly working my way through them. I have a couple to pick up from the library, but sadly not The Lost World, yet. I'm hoping soon, tho.
Any particular advice on a translation of Count of Monte Cristo? If you liked The 3 Musketeers you might like to try the Khaavren Romances by Steven Brust? It's a semi fantasy/adventure set of novels written in the style of the 3 Musketeers. Even the way the books are set out.

My experience of the 3 Musketeers is a kiddies animated series with mostly dogs and the occassional cat. It was fun.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Dogtanan!! :D I'm not a big fan of the Three Musketeers, not the first story in the series. I did love The Man in the Iron Mask, tho, for the historical setting, and still at some point want to read the books in between them.

I'm not sure about a particular translation for The Count. I need to re-read it, too, but haven't looked into that, yet.
Well, I've done a bit of research on the Monte Cristo translation and the recommended one is the unabridged Penguin edition translated by Robin Buss but the Oxford World's Classic series also has an unabridged translation by David Coward which I can't find any information about. There are also apparently a vast number of poorly translated abridged versions floating about.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Abridged versions! Yech...!

Thanks for doing the research on this.
Do you prefer the Oxford World Classics to the Penguin series or is it a matter of collecting all the matching spines?
Re matching spines - I am tempted.

Either the Penguin or the Oxford will work for which ever book you are looking at. They usually contain the same material, translations (if any) will probably be different, and the supplementary introduction and appendices (if any) usually cover different material. The Penguin editions seem to be slightly cheaper.

I've got all but one of the Icelandic Sagas in the Penguin version. The odd one out I chose the Oxford version because I had other books by that translator and liked his work. I've got a mish mash of Oxford and Penguin for the mythology stuff. Both publishers produce decent work so it is just a matter of translation and supplemental material if you are picky. Both publishers produce books of the same size so they fit nicely on the shelf together anyway. :)

For Count of MC, I'm probably going to end up going with the Penguin edition (assuming I buy it) simply because it comes in hardcover. A 1300+ page book needs to be in hardcover or the spine breaks and the book falls apart.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Ah, ... For some reason, I got the impression that you preferred the Oxford ones.
*shruggs* The last book (Journey to the Centre of the Earth) had the prettier cover... and now all the Jules Verne have to have the same spine. And since these are classics, most of the other classics I buy will probably also be Oxford - matching spines and covers. *ducks* Except the George MacDonald Fairy Tales and Nutcracker and Mouse King because Oxford doesn't have those.

This is bad. I need to stop shopping for books 2 years in advance.
Murder by Death 1 year ago
You mean, not everybody shops for books 2 years in advance? Ok, 2 might be a stretch, but my list of to buy is usually 18 months out at any given time. I like to be prepared when it comes to books. Nothing else, mind you, just books. :)