YouKneeK 1 year ago
Thanks, these are some great tips! #1 is advice I’ve heard before and it makes a lot of sense to m e. For one, it solves my problem of avoiding the books I’m most interested in because I know I won’t enjoy them as much in an audio format. I also like the idea because I normally avoid re-reading. There are so many new things I want to read, even though there are stories I’d enjoy reading again. Listening to a previously-read book during times when I wouldn’t be able to read anyway wouldn’t bother me as much.

The last audio book I tried was actually a book I'd read before. I only made it through maybe 8 out of 20+ hours before giving up, but I didn’t realize from the sample just how annoying the narrator would be. He was very melodramatic and it was a book with a lot of characters that he didn't distinguish between very well. I started switching to music more often until I finally just had to acknowledge I was never going to finish it. I need to do a better job of picking good narrators, like the first article you linked to mentioned.

The children’s book idea is an interesting one I’ve never considered. It might be fun to re-read some of those old favorites I remember from my childhood and see if I get something new out of them as an adult.

The 2nd article was interesting also. My mom read to me a lot when I was really little, but the taught me how to read (at my insistence) at age 3 and I don’t think anybody read much to me after that. Knowing my personality, I would have wanted to do it myself. I wonder if I would be better at listening to audiobooks if I’d been read to more often as a child.
Got My Book 1 year ago
The narrator has a HUGE impact. If I don't like the narrator, it doesn't matter how great the book is.
Got My Book 1 year ago
Oops, forgot to use the Shift key to do a line break.

I too feel better about re-listening, despite my huge TBR pile, when I do it while I wouldn't be able to Read.

The author of the 2nd article pointed out that her children had different levels of interest in audiobooks depending on their personalities.
YouKneeK 1 year ago
Practice probably helps with that also. I imagine it gets easier to predict which narrators you will like or dislike based on the sample. And you become familiar with certain narrators. I did really like the Legion audiobooks (written by Brandon Sanderson) because they had an awesome narrator. They were really short, though.
YouKneeK 1 year ago
I noticed that, and it makes sense, but I also think the same criteria would apply just as much to the enjoyment of reading books as listening to them, since both are usually solitary activities.
Got My Book 1 year ago
The introverts in my family do "together time" by all sitting in the same room reading.
Murder by Death 1 year ago
Narrators make or break an audiobook, definitely. In fact the narrator of the Parasol Protectorate series made the books even better than they are in print because she adds so much personality to each of the characters; she was absolutely brilliant. Same goes for Jenny Sterlin and the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King.

I too started with re-reads and I started with just listening in the car on my daily commute: it was a long one and the radio here in the morning is awful (all talk and vapid talk at that). Then I tried a non-fiction, where personalities and characterisations weren't needed (I had mixed results with that). Now I've always got one going in the car, or when I'm walking somewhere.
Got My Book 1 year ago
I only do NF if I'm sure I'm not going to want to take notes.
Great post, thank you! I'll definitely start off small then.
Got My Book 11 months ago
Good Luck.
This post is so useful, thank you! Definitely going to try and listen to some more audiobooks.
Got My Book 10 months ago
You're welcome. I hope it helps when it's time to start your commute again.
I know you use a dedicated mp3 player, but have you ever tried an app on your phone? I'm looking for something that I can use when I drive to & from work. I have a music player but it doesn't have a "speed up" function that I can tell and I find the narrators read rather slow.
Got My Book 10 months ago
I actually have an iPod and use the Audible app. I am able to transfer almost all of my non-Audible books into it via iTunes. Pretty much the only other app I use is the library Overdrive one. I am not sure how you would transfer in non-Audible books if you have Android. (And I agree that narrators are too slow.)
Thanks! This is all brand new territory for me, so I'm learning as I go.
Got My Book 10 months ago
Good luck, let me know if there is anything else I can help with.