Portable Magic 5 years ago
I had the same childhood experience. I learned to read from those "read and play" books, and I can't imagine my childhood without them.
Got My Book 5 years ago
It's funny, I was so proud of being able to work the record player myself; and now I'm amazed watching my tiny nieces & nephews navigate a smartphone or tablet.
Portable Magic 5 years ago
I've wondered how that would work for modern-day parents. I don't think the 45rpm record/books could have been so expensive, because my parents were thrifty but bought quite a few for me. Although maybe they considered the expense worthwhile since I'd read them over and over by myself instead of endlessly pestering them to read to me. Maybe subscription audio services like Audible offers children's books. I've noticed my library offers children's lit on audio, but it's a small selection.
Got My Book 5 years ago
Yes Portable Magic, Audible does have thousands of children's titles. But expense is a legitimate concern, especially since children's books are very short and kids can go through a lot of them. Thanks Bookstooge for the idea for another post. I will plan to do one on (good) free & low cost alternatives.
Portable Magic 5 years ago
That's certainly true, if kids are starting on a new one as soon as they've finished the old. If they aren't reading/listening to the same book over and over, as they do with paper books, then I guess they could go through a huge amount in a short period of time. When I say my parents bought me "quite a few", I mean that I remember having built up a fairly sizable (to me) library, but it couldn't have been more than a couple dozen books over the few years from being able to work the record player myself until I graduated beyond picture books to chapter books.
Got My Book 5 years ago
I seem to remember that you could get them from the library by the time my younger siblings were into them. They came in a plastic bag with a handle and had both the book and the tape(s).
I don't have any kids myself, but I know that, as a kid and teen, audiobooks just wouldn't have come in all the handy for me. since most of my reading was done when I had free time during school, and I wouldn't have been able to take out any electronics. So that could be one reason there are less kids reading them.

Also, if a child's parents don't read, they might not even know audiobooks exist, or it just might not ever cross their minds. But everyone knows physical books and now ebooks exist, and they're so easy to get.

And some parents not see it as cheating necessarily, but their child isn't going to improve their spelling, grammar, etc. from audiobooks. But I can see how they do still have benefits. Even if a child isn't reading the words, they're still getting to experience new perspectives, gaining empathy, etc. And there are plenty of times when it might not be possible to actually read a book, like on car rides if someone gets motion sickness.
Got My Book 5 years ago
That's a good point about school. I did a lot of reading there, including in class.

I hope my blog can help make more parents aware of audiobooks, including for use in the car (my sister currently just plugs in a DVD.
Thanks for sharing those stats, that's quite interesting to hear how audiobook sales increase. And that's quite surprising so few audiobooks are children's books. I never listened to audiobooks as a kid or at least not that I remember, so I wonder if that has to do with why I don't listen to them now either. I always preferred to read things compared to listening to them.

I think you make a god point here that it can be helpful to bring kids into contact with audiobooks and that parents and teachers can help to bring kids into contact with audiobooks.
Got My Book 5 years ago
I'm a bit of an evangelist and think that everyone should give audiobooks a decent chance.
Wendy (guest) 5 years ago
We don't have any great way to play audiobooks in our household. My kids don't have phones or MP3 players yet. We do check out playalongs from the library for road trips. I tried listening to audio books on my phone, but there's some glitch that prevents me from downloading books from the 3M Cloud library. In the classroom, I use 3M a lot to borrow library audio books for my students to listen to on their iPads. I have far more students who want to listen to audio books than who want to read on their devices, interestingly. Actually, this is giving me a post idea for sharing what methods my students like--I'll refer back to this post as my inspiration! And as others said, both as a parent and as a teacher, I'd rather use the library than pay for Audible.
Got My Book 5 years ago
If you are going to be listening in just one room, you might check to see if you can play the library audiobooks via the computer. And audiobooks are a lifesaver for road trips. I usually only purchase books after I have listened to them and know I will want to listen again.
Okay, I was so excited by this I got a post up about the reading habits of my middle schoolers, in terms of what formats they read on. It's at http://falconerslibrary.blogspot.com/2016/06/how-do-you-read.html. Thank you for the inspiration!
Got My Book 5 years ago
Cool! I will add it to my next Sunday Summary.