Anything by Alastair Reynolds should fit. I'm not very military in my scifi choices.
Got My Book 1 year ago
Thanks, I have him on my research list and will look into them.
Elizabeth Moon (who was herself a marine) writes military sci-fi - as a fantasy reader you might be familiar with her Paksenarrion books. I'm most familiar with Vatta's War (which is rather more revolutionary than military - first book is called "Trading in Danger") which is very good, but she has an even more military series, The Serrano Legacy. I like both a great deal more than Honor Harrington, to which they are often compared, probably simply because they have female protagonists.

Vatta's war is available as full cast dramatisations, although they're quite expensive (from a company that produces audio plays primarily for long haul truckers, I forget the name, but you should be able to find them from that.)

Ann Aguirre's Sirantha Jax series (First book Grimspace) also fits the bill (both military and revolutionary), but may have a little bit much sexual content, although I don't remember it being more than one or two scenes per book (definitely check reviews for that one though, or get other opinions, I could be misremembering).

Got My Book 1 year ago
The Sirantha Jax series is on my rejected list, so I am guessing you're right about the sexual content.

I will check out Elizabeth Moon though. I did read a bit of Paks, but stopped before some heavy stuff that was coming up.
Hol 1 year ago
Sorry, wish I could help.
Got My Book 1 year ago
That's ok, maybe next time.
The Tin Star duology by Cecil Castellucci!
Got My Book 1 year ago
I've never even heard of those, thanks for the recommendation.
Tessa's Blog 1 year ago
I am more into fantasy than science fiction, so I might not be the most helpful person for this subgenre. But I did really enjoy Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It is YA and there is very little romance. The book focuses on the journey of a boy who gets drafted into the military to save the planet. It is very character-focused and really unique from other science fiction novels.
By the way, this is my first time visiting your blog and it will certainly not be my last! I found your blog in a comment and I just had to check it out.
Got My Book 1 year ago
Thank you, Ender's Game is a true classic and a good recommendation. I didn't include it in this post, because I am featuring it in a post on School stories at the end of the month.

Welcome to my blog. I have added yours as well.