Comments: 8
mlsimmons 6 months ago
I agree with this 100%. I don't really take review requests. I mostly get my books from publisher lists, the library or I purchase myself. There are some authors who know me and know I read their works that will offer me review copies and I usually take them. If it is a new-to-me author, I might look at their work, but I'm don't take most of them. My TBR list already so large, I'm trying not to add more. Part of me feels bad about turning down most authors who are trying to get their foot through the door, but I already read a ton of indie authors and I can't read them all. I have to be very picky or I will get overwhelmed. Great post.

Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads
Got My Book 6 months ago
One of the happy side effects of exclusively reviewing audiobooks is that a lot of requests can be auto rejected because they aren't audio. I do feel bad saying no, but I have had better luck in stuff I pick myself. I try to give plenty of indie stuff that I've found on my own a chance.
Brian's Book Blog 6 months ago
Unfortunately, even writing all of these out you will still get someone who finds you via Amazon (I'm actually surprised at how many I get that way) who don't even know that this site exists.

I've also had people quote something from my Policy page and still ignore other parts. So it'll always be a battle. But yours is very clear!
Got My Book 6 months ago
I actually just took my email off Amazon this week, since some research told me that it might be where the requests were coming from. I left the web address though. I am considering removing my email from everything and doing an online contact form, we'll see.

The real reason I wrote this post is so that I can be "helpful" and send the link to anyone who sends me a spam request.
Oh WOW this email on Amazon thing that Brian talked about above me I had NO IDEA about- I have to check my settings for sure!

I think one of the biggest ones is NAME. I got an email 2 days ago saying "Dear Olivia, I love your blog!" Well that's great for whoever the hell Olivia is, but it isn't helping me
Got My Book 6 months ago
Yeah, you can list an email and/or your blog url. I deleted the email but left the url.

That's almost funny if it weren't so sad.
Um, I think half of my comment got cut off! ANyway, what I had said was that I DO appreciate how hard it is for authors to put themselves out there, and most of them ARE super good about it, but there are always those who ruin it for the bunch. But yeah, I changed my policy to say that I could only respond to accepted requests, but I STILL feel bad for not responding. It is a tough situation, and your tips are awesome!!
Got My Book 6 months ago
Thanks. I do want to remain open to indie authors, so that's why I switched to a form. I too feel bad about not responding to some, but it is better than being rude (which I sometimes want to do).