I wonder if this can be considered walking dead: I mean, they're not traditional zombies, but they certainly are dead-then-not-dead, and also the hive mind is very zombie-like, too.
Tannat 2 years ago
I would disagree, personally. While "stored", they're only technically dead.
JL's Bibliomania 2 years ago
Interesting thought. But I have a couple of true zombie books (White Trash Zombie or The Girl With All The Gifts) that I've been meaning to read for a while but they just haven't made it to the top priority and this may give them the nudge I need.
I may be fuzzy on details, but I'm pretty sure there are references to the people who are ancillaries actually being killed. I'm also slightly drunk, but weren't there multiple references to them being killed? Or was I taking that too literally?

ETA: I think there were references to them being killed to create ancillaries, but doing more research I think I conflated the executions and the ancillaries, partly because it was considered death of a kind: the personality was erased, and they don't seem to have the same needs/status/pain threshold that non-ancillaries have.

Given that there are alterations, so much so that they seem to be a different species - at least to me - I personally still consider it a death of a very real kind. I think my reading of that, which still feels... let's call it emotionally true blurs the line for me. Tannat is correct: they are not technically dead, and therefore wouldn't qualify for that square. They are, however, dead in my mind. They read like modern day zombies to me, so to speak.

And man, I'd totally become one if I could. Those kind of zombies are my jam since they hook up with AIs, in very real ways.
Tannat 2 years ago
They can be killed. But then they're dead. They get replaced by other ancillary units but they don't get brought back to life (unless you're talking about extraordinary medical measures). You might consider them killed in the sense that their previous "personality" is essentially erased.
That's exactly it. I edited my post, after reading up. There are also executions/mass murders spoken about in scenes when talking about who became an ancillary: the 'death' of a previous personality was so... concrete, so real to me, I think I conflated the two and assumed that they were one and the same: that they were literally killed and then brought back as ancillaries rather than being kept alive during the whole process.

I suppose it's a testament to how much the ancillary aspect, and the horror of that, spoke to me, and I blame... me. Usually I say it's the writer, but I clearly had a brain-melt and just combined two ideas due to how deeply I felt that aspect.

And yeah, I will call out my own faults as a reader, but I will never do it to anyone else: I know what I'm thinking, but I won't speak to anyone else unless they tell me 'yeah, I misread, my bad.' I don't know what they're thinking. So I'll assume it's the writing for anyone else, but not for me.
JL's Bibliomania 2 years ago
If I wanted to go the zombie route, I would consider the previous personality "dead" and then them revived. But there isn't the disease/infection angle. You can't catch being an ancillary by touch.
Fair. I think I mostly think of them as zombie-cousins because I considered them actually dead because... I had weird reactions to the ancillaries. The whole 'oooh, you're connected to AI, wants that' bothered me, too, because I was horrified, and more horrified that I kinda wanted it, too.

So, yeah, that messed me up pretty bad, and apparently made me conflate two things.
Tannat 2 years ago
Fair enough. I just thought I'd add that although you'd be linked up to an AI, you'd no longer have your own consciousness. Your body would just be an extension of the AI consciousness. I thought that perspective jumping was interesting in Ancillary Justice, which is probably why I struggled so much with the sequels.
I know. Which is why I was torn.

I... don't remember having a problem with the change. I personally tore through all three, but I have had series where I found something interesting, it was dropped, and I had trouble getting into the other books so I do understand.
Tannat 2 years ago
I didn't tear through them, myself. Even the first one. I finished the series because I wanted to see where it would go. I realize I'm the odd one out on this, though. :)
Tannat 2 years ago
There are some aliens from outside Raadch (sp?) space.
Tannat 2 years ago
Possibly. Although JL may have other books in mind for bingo...
JL's Bibliomania 2 years ago
There are aliens, but at least in the first two books in the trilogy, they only play a bit-part.

I do have another book in mind for the Aliens square. Earlier this year I restarted the Foreigner series by CJ Cherryh, which focuses directly on the human-alien interface. I don't want to lose momentum on the reread (I'm at book 5 of 18) so was planning to slot that into the Aliens square.
Tannat 2 years ago
Hey, I restarted the Foreigner series this year too! I hadn't read the whole series though.
JL's Bibliomania 2 years ago
I read through book 11 or so a few years back and thought the series was done. When I realized my library had more, I tried what I thought was the first I hadn't read and was rather lost. So I restarted. It will probably take me several years to finish, since I'm reading one every couple of months.
Tannat 2 years ago
I had read up to book 6, years ago. I restarted where I left off, and wasn't too lost although I didn't remember all the references. When the audiobooks went on sale a while ago I picked up the first two trilogies though. It was fun revisiting them.