Debbie's Spurts 6 months ago
You should be able to add a new book.

I'm not a librarian but I'll do it for you and comment back with the link.
Debbie's Spurts 6 months ago
Hmmm...it says the hardcover edition already exists at http://booklikes.com/in-calabria-peter-s-beagle/book,13817469
Debbie's Spurts 6 months ago
Won't let me add the kindle edition; says already exists at http://booklikes.com/in-calabria-peter-s-beagle/book,13862239

Cannot add MP3 CD audio book cause thinks it is at http://booklikes.com/in-calabria-peter-s-beagle/book,13862242

No luck adding audible edition, thinks it's already at http://booklikes.com/in-calabria-peter-s-beagle-bronson-pinchot-blackstone-audio/book,13862245

(I was able to add missing bookcover and put in librarian request to combine strayed editions to same work).
Murder by Death 6 months ago
They're already combined - the system does it automatically.
Debbie's Spurts 6 months ago
Cool, those glitches where narrator caused it not to combine were getting pesky. When I put in the report to librarians, they sure looked separated though.

I didn't ask to have the ebook and kindle editions separated because I saw your post where that's still an issue.
Murder by Death 6 months ago
That's not a glitch, it's part of the logic the combine function uses and it's still in place. Those three editions were identical in title and author (the one audio edition is missing the narrator, which will get added in sometime today).

Thanks - That ASIN bug is pissing me off and I'm tired of seeing that damn error message pop up. :-/
Murder by Death 6 months ago
Anyone can add a new book - there are instructions on BookLikes blog if anyone needs step by step instructions.
Murder by Death 6 months ago
Also - if you search by ISBN or ASIN for any book, if BL doesn't have it, it will import it either from Amazon or one of its other feeds.
Debbie's Spurts 6 months ago
@Olga, did I miss the edition you needed?

If you cannot add a book because of one of those odd menu bugs/glitches where you can see it but not click it, the direct URL is http://booklikes.com/book/add
Olga Godim 6 months ago
I wasn't looking for a specific edition, just the title, and it didn't show. That might not mean it's not there but that I couldn't find it. I'll try again now because I do want to add it to my shelves.
Olga Godim 6 months ago
Oh, now it worked. But it still wouldn't show the book when I typed the title alone. I needed to add the author's name before the book would show up. I don't understand this database at all.
Tannat 6 months ago
The search function can be finicky especially if you add/omit leading articles from the title and some word combinations are ubiquitous and pull up other records. Sometimes it'll be further down on the list so you'll have to actually hit return to go to the search results page to find it. If I want to be sure, I'll go find an ISBN even if it's not for the edition that I'm looking for and search by that. From there, I can see if there's an edition closer to the one I want or add another edition of the book from the book page.
Murder by Death 6 months ago
Thanks Tannat - I started to write this and got tangled up in my own explanation and gave up. You did it heaps better! :)
Tannat 6 months ago
It's as I said earlier, great minds...
Debbie's Spurts 6 months ago
I'm learning not to search for "title" or "title by author" — "title author" works better. isbn13 and ASIN numbers are very effective; at keast if those don't show in search results you can add a new book or a new edition with that isbn13/ASIN.

If all else fails, best is finding the dang book on amazon (where booklikes seemingly pulls most of its data) and copying whatever word/phrase/number is in the Amazon URL after the "/dp/" before next punctuation mark as your search term (it's almost always the ASIN or ISBN anyway but if not booklikes will still successfully import book from Amazon).

For example, the Amazon URL for the audible edition might be https://www.amazon.com/In-Calabria/dp/B06WD1RQTH?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ3XCC7GLJWZDXC2A&tag=book0dc0-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B06WD1RQTH or https://www.amazon.com/In-Calabria/dp/B06WD1RQTH/ so search for what's after "/dp/" which turns out to be ASIN "B06WD1RQTH"
Debbie's Spurts 6 months ago
The book database here, just like on goodreads and other sites, will get better the more it's crowdsourced from us members and maintained by the librarians.

But, it's so frustrating not being able to easily search for books it's easy to give up and not keep adding books or clicking edit/report on book page for librarians to straighten out stuff. It's been four years since I imported my goodreads data file and I still haven't tried cleaning up,my shelves to make sure I have editions combined with main work, correct editions, correct series info ...