I can't get into this series. I didn't read past the first book because it was boring to me. I can relate to the mind wandering. I tend to have that happen when a book doesn't do it for me.
BUGGY 4 years ago
I couldn't get into this series either. I thought there must be something wrong with me because the series is so adored but I didn't even make it through the first book. As you say, my mind wandered
At least I'm not alone like I thought.
Debbie's Spurts 4 years ago
I'm really into them. But I think i got into them because I mostly liked the Mercy character—and at the time I read the first book it completely avoided a lot of urban fantasy formulas I was pretty burned out on or outright irritated by (alpha male instaluv and the pack stuff seeming more like a raping, violent, bullying gang preying on weaker members). Some of the mythology was different (lots of wannabes jumped on that bandwagon since).

Just an impulse buy for me at the checkout-line display in a local bookstore because it looked "different." When finished loaned to BFF who got seriously hooked where I borrowed next few free from her and now am hooked where I pre-order while she's willing to wait for paperback. But, that said, there are parts where my mind wanders, too.

Some of the books in series are edge of the seat wonderful and some uneven. But I want to know what happens next. I just downloaded the latest and am starting; the previous book was good but read more like an adventure in the life of and was a bit "tame" for the series. I'm not giving spoilers away by saying the latest has a stalker with Adam's ex-wife in danger; i'm hoping the stalker part doesn't turn it into a "suspense" genre book and loses the Mercy storyline I read this series for (i think those lost storyline bits are where my mind wanders).
Marianna 4 years ago
Do you read the Alpha and Omega series, too?
I'd seen a few people mention that book 7 didn't have some of the same feel. Maybe I'll be the random person who puts it as my favorite of the series for whatever reason.

I do really like that Mercy is a mechanic. That's not a stereotypical female job in fiction.

Do you read Kate Daniels? That's another series I'm just okay on, but I'd only read the first 2 and need to pick up 3 because everyone tells me that's the book where the series takes a turn into really good territory. Since I made it to book 3, I might as well give it a go to see if they're right, I suppose. :)
Debbie's Spurts 4 years ago
I read the first Kate Daniels (was okay, but like you, I keep hearing all the hype and expected more)—well-written and liked her character well enough but not very into the law-enforcement or bounty-hunter-ish aspects, worldbuilding a bit different and even interesting but mostly just background noise so couldn't pull it from an okay read, and with a huge yuck to ganglike shifter packs outside the law. Friends always discussing and always insisting book 3 is where I will get into it so I did start book 2 and the first few chapters have bored me to tears. Since I own it, plan on attacking a chapter or two every few months until it hooks me or I finish.

When I say friends, I mean a handful that have reading tastes eerily close to mine that have really pressed and who in the past have been right to press me past beginning chapters of certain books (like "Feed")—because otherwise I have to at least like the first book (even if it reads clearly as if just a series setup and not a very good story in and of itself) if a series to pick up book two.

There are just some series you hear so much about (Kate Daniels, Dresden Files, Mercy Thompson, Downside Ghosts, ...) that you have to check them out if only to be a part of the conversation!
I understand the dilemma. It's fun to be included on the discussion and be able to contribute to the conversation. I struggled with the first book of Downside Ghosts and had to put it down, even though I thought the world was dark and gritty, just the way I like it. Someday I will psyche myself up to soldier through, just so I can decide whether or not to see if the series is or is not for me. Dresden Files is another series I want to read, even though (again), people say that it doesn't start to hit a good stride until book 3 or 4. I don't get why so many series have books you have to push through in order to get to the good stuff!
Debbie's Spurts 4 years ago
The first Dresden Files book did not blow me away and make me have to read the series; but, I liked it and I liked the main character. I've seen it dissected and overanalyzed for all kinds of things on posts and in discussion groups in a way that made me feel I was back in a junior high literature class or political correctness lectures, but I liked Harry Dresden and the story pace. Better than the Kate Daniels book for sure; one reason I can out my finger on for not being blown away by Dresden is the first book being odd about magic rules and when he could or couldn't use abilities—and, while I get the air of the old detective books (or at least an air of Captain Picard faking a 1940s hard-boiled private dick on the holodeck), I absolutely don't like detective books or mysteries else I may have loved Stormfront.
bookaneer 4 years ago
Other than an overpowering desire to murder Adam, I like the Mercy books...they aren't books that I rush to get ahold of, but I enjoy them. I think she's one of my favourite female UF protags.
I also like (but not love--wince) the Kate Daniels books. For me, though, I think bk3 was the high point. Personally, I didn't really see a huge difference in the novels throughout the series, but I've also heard people say the later books are better. Certainly the romantic tensions pick up in #2 and #3, so maybe that's it. **shrugs**
I do believe the TDF thing, but I'm attracted to them because I see them as noir/hardboiled mysteries with added kaboom. If you don't like detective books, then maybe they won't get better as the series continues....not sure. Certainly the worldbuilding expands, but the reason why I'm still so hooked on the series is the multi-book mystery setup...I'm still dying for certain reveals.
Downside Ghosts is one where I never made it past the first book, but with that one too, I've heard the series gets better.
Debbie's Spurts 4 years ago
Dresden Files I can get free so sporadically may progress; Downside Ghosts too gritty for me; Stacia Kane can really write, just not a world or characters I can get into.
bookaneer 4 years ago
That was part of my problem too. I really couldn't stand the protag.
...You get TDF free? Library?
Thanks for letting me know what you thought. It's good to see that I'm not a complete oddball for not completely feeling the love.
Debbie's Spurts 4 years ago
Yes, TDF (at least first few) free via my library's ebook loan—overdrive.