RedT Reads Randomly 3 years ago
Good profile post. Thanks for sharing. I am currently working on the memorization. :)
Love your kitten and the shower story. My cats like being high as well.
I was going to comment on your profile page, but the comment box wasn't there. Perhaps I should have just been more patient though, because this comment box took nearly a minute to open. BL has been busy today.
YouKneeK 3 years ago
Thanks! LOL, maybe I had better prepare a test.

I think because of the way I did the profile, adding it as an actual page instead of linking to a post, it must not allow for comments. I wasn't entirely sure how to go about it and I think I must have taken a different path than you and Bookstooge did.
RedT Reads Randomly 3 years ago
BLers seem to like taking quizzes. You might get some takers.
Carpe Librum 3 years ago
I'm glad I'm not the only one having a difficult time keeping everyone straight. I was feeling guilty about that.
YouKneeK 3 years ago
You are definitely not alone! I don’t expect anybody to remember anything I’ve posted before, because I know how much trouble I have with it myself.
I tried to do the profile thing directly as well, but because of the picture I used, you couldn't read it. So I had to a regular post and then figure out how to link it. Yours shows up really nice though...
YouKneeK 3 years ago
Ah… that makes sense. It was an awesome picture you posted, so definitely worth the trouble!
Kitty Horror 3 years ago
What a great profile. The things you wrote about being independent and valuing privacy really struck a chord with me as I'm exactly the same.
YouKneeK 3 years ago
Thank you! One of the awesome things about this site is how many people I’ve encountered who share and can understand the personality traits that sometimes seem so uncommon out in the "real world".
Kitty Horror 3 years ago
Yep, I find BL a much more supportive site. I feel a lot more confident in putting my thoughts out there on here. I don't feel I get judged in the same way.
From Dark Places 3 years ago
Great profile post, I love the way you go off on one sometimes. I can image having a conversation with you and not being able to get a single word in LOL.

You have a thing about your identity being used or abused that I don't really understand, I always think it's not really worth hiding who would want to abuse me. I'm an average guy and there's millions of me on the net. My only concern around this is my bank and credit card details but you just have to be careful and stick with well known sites etc.
YouKneeK 3 years ago
LOL, thanks. I’m often the quieter half in real-life conversations. Real-time dialogue with somebody is very different from asynchronous communication online.

As far as real names, the biggest problem for me is the combination of data that people can amass which is harmful in combination with your real name. We tend to reveal a lot about ourselves over time, and it's easy to find and compile that data. Then it can be used to locate and rob your home during an announced vacation, answer security questions to get an account password reset, set up new accounts under your name, etc. On the more extreme side, some random person you’ve made mad on the internet might use your name and the personal info they've amassed to impersonate you and put content out there under your name that could cause problems with getting hired or even bring legal attention your way.

To me, a real name is an unimportant part of online interaction and thus it isn’t worth the risk. I’m the same person with or without it. I’d rather be a little careless with some of my other personal details, which can serve to facilitate more interesting conversations, but keep that info unattached to my real name.
From Dark Places 3 years ago
Troy I've just realised you and young miss Kneek are probably the 2 most wordy people on here, you both must be lightening typers ;)
YouKneeK 3 years ago
Troy, your profile is great! I just read it; I don’t think I’d seen it before. I think I was one of your earliest followers, so you may have put it up after I first explored your blog and decided to follow. You’re one of the ones who stick out (in a good way, of course!) so I’ve never really had to look your profile up to remember things.
I whole-heartedly agree. It's particularly confusing when I think one person loves this genre when in reality they love that genre; that can really affect reviews. And I, like you, don't tend to interact much; I feel like it's much easier to remember someone if you've actually had a conversation with them.

I also feel you on the liking thing! Since one can change their dashboard view to just 'liked' posts I tend to like a lot of posts I want to come back to or read later.
YouKneeK 3 years ago
I definitely agree with you about it being easier to remember people once you’ve actually had a conversation with them. For me the conversation also has to be more than random small talk, even in real life. I’m really bad about meeting people and then not remembering them unless we’ve had some sort of memorable conversation or worked on a project together.

That “Liked posts” filter is great. Sometimes I remember reading something and want to look at it again, and that’s often the fastest way for me to find it. Another benefit to being selective with the "likes". :)
YouKneeK 3 years ago
LOL I have, at times, brought random passers-by at work to a screeching halt to verify if I was actually typing or just randomly hitting keys on the keyboard, because I do type quite fast. On the other hand, nobody could possibly be slower than I am when it comes to trying to type on a smart phone.
YouKneeK 3 years ago
I’m very similar when it comes to the preference for desktops. My main home computer is a desktop. I have a personal laptop, but I rarely use it. My work computer is a laptop, but I dock it and use it like a desktop when I’m in the office. I’m just as comfortable with the laptop keyboard though, since I use it often when traveling or attending meetings.

I have a 10.5” tablet, and I bought a Bluetooth keyboard for it that works ok, so I do occasionally use it for e-mails and things like posting comments on BookLikes. Mainly just when I’m traveling, though. If I’m at home, I prefer the desktop.

My smart phone is for work, so I don’t always have any choice but to answer e-mails on it if something comes up when I'm not around a computer, but I avoid it when I can. If I’m alone, I use the voice-recognition to dictate my e-mails rather than type them on the phone.
YouKneeK 3 years ago
LOL, very true. All my thumbs every really learned how to do was smack the space bar at the appropriate moments.

I never use my tablet to read e-books – too heavy and bulky and not as pleasant on the eyes. For that, the Kindle Voyage is mandatory for me. :)
Bark's Book Reviews 3 years ago
I'm so glad you did this! I love knowing more about my online friends. I have an About Me tab but it's mostly filled with sarcasm about my reviewing process. One of these days I may be brave and type up a real one. Most of the "about me" stuff comes out in my reviews/posts though.
YouKneeK 3 years ago
Thank you! I actually remember reading your “About Me” tab before, because it made me laugh. I really enjoyed reading it, and your dog and cat are both adorable! :) Someday I'll have to get around to posting a picture of my cat.