Comments: 7
Tannat 2 years ago
I didn't find the Luggage thing to be a flaw because it's the Luggage: it's an exception unto itself. It's also followed Rincewind into alternate universes before. But I can see how it could be viewed that way.
YouKneeK 2 years ago
It seems to me that, with this new allowance that the luggage isn’t necessarily going to stay with Rincewind’s *physical* body, then the luggage might as well follow Rincewind into his dreams or into his imagination if he imagines going to other places. :)
Tannat 2 years ago
You know, I can see that happening. I'm not sure it's likely to happen, but if a story called for Rincewind to get stuck in his own head, the Luggage would show up. Didn't it follow him to Death's country way back when?
YouKneeK 2 years ago
Hmmm… probably. I can’t remember now which book that happened in. I thought Rincewind was there physically, though, just like Alfred and Mort and the others who have been there. It makes perfect sense to me for the luggage to follow him there if he was there physically, since it’s been established that the luggage can go anywhere imaginable.
Tannat 2 years ago
It was either the first book or the second, and I think only his "soul" was there. His physical body stayed behind because there was a kind of astral umbilical cord stretching back to it.

Besides, it's been established that the laws of physics only apply to the Luggage as far as the Luggage wishes them to. Multiple interiors, does laundry, etc.
YouKneeK 2 years ago
If it was in one of the first two books, then he didn’t have the luggage yet. He got it at the very end of the 2nd book.

My problem isn’t with where the luggage can go. It’s been established the luggage can go anywhere, so I have no problem with it going to Roundworld. My problem is that it followed Rincewind somewhere he wasn’t. Rincewind’s *physical* body was in UU. He was even eating sandwiches in UU while his senses observed Roundworld. To my mind, the luggage only went there because the rules were changed as a convenient plot cheat.
Tannat 2 years ago
Alright it was following Twoflower then. And fair enough.