Barks At Everything 1 month ago
This was one of the books my sister lugged around in high school! I wish we'd kept them :(
Char's Horror Corner 1 month ago
It was really good quiet horror. I think I was in just the right mood for it too. (It was a book club read, and we all know sometimes the current choice doesn't work for us, but this one did.)

And yeah, when I was a pre-teen-teen, I kept handwritten notebooks of the books I'd read. I wish now that I'd kept the lists AND the books!
Barks At Everything 1 month ago
Ah, I did that too! We were horror reading twins.
Tigus 1 month ago
I figured you would like this one a bit more than I did...and I did like it. but I love two of his "louder" ones better: Lowland Rider, and Second Chance. The mood of Ash Wednesday, and the writing style, were top-notch, but the static nature of the ghosts sets the stage for a quieter, albeit unique, story. it was entertaining, for sure.
Char's Horror Corner 1 month ago
I've only read one other of his works which was Reign. I enjoyed it!
I shall look up and most likely add Lowland Rider and Second Chance. Thanks for the recs!
Portable Magic 1 month ago
Well this sounds really good, I'm putting it on my TBR. And I've never heard of this author, so it sounds like I have a whole back catalog to look forward to!
Char's Horror Corner 1 month ago
I hope you enjoy it when you get to it! I've been aware of Chet Williamson for many years, but so far, I've only read two of his books. This one and Reign, which was about a haunted theater. I'm impressed and want to read more of his work. :)
Portable Magic 1 month ago
The only one my library offers is Psycho Hospital. Not too sure about that one. I've bought the kindle edition for Ash Wednesday, so I can start that one once I finally get around to finishing Flowers for Algernon.
Char's Horror Corner 1 month ago
Flowers for Algernon? Oh man, did that book ever make me bawl my eyes out!
Portable Magic 1 month ago
I'm finding it a different experience re-reading it as an adult. Poignant still but really problematic in some ways.
Char's Horror Corner 1 month ago
You read it when you were young too? I wonder if I would feel differently about it now?
Portable Magic 1 month ago
I was in middle school at the time and hadn't yet learned to think critically about the narrator's beliefs, attitudes, and assumptions. So, I'd say it depends on where you were in that level of reading maturity when you read it.
Char's Horror Corner 1 month ago
I was probably around that same age.