Murder by Death 8 years ago
I absolutely loathed House of Silk, so I knew I wasn't going to read this one, and I looked at the spoiler. Yeah - I see shades of what I hated in House of Silk in your spoiler, so I know I made the right choice.

It occurred to me when I read HoS, and as I read your review, that Horowitz doesn't really like Sherlock Holmes.
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
I think you may be right. That would explain a lot. I don't remember HoS very well, I've been thinking about rereading it this year, but based on this alone I think SOMEBODY didn't like him. Whether him or an editor or something. Funny that, since these are authorized by the Doyle estate. Thank goodness Holmes has fallen into the public domain. Sure you got to take each pastiche with a grain of salt but if all that was coming out were these...

What did you hate exactly?
Murder by Death 8 years ago
I listened to the audio version (for context) but off the top of my head, I hated that he made Watson into a man so in love with his own voice he just went on, and on, and on. He gave Sherlock crises of conscience, had him questioning himself, basically he just didn't feel at all like the SH I love and expect. The plot was overly complicated as well. I remember very clearly yelling at the speakers in my car while this was on. :P
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
Well that says a lot. I've only done that a few times...and yeah, those are books I'd never read again. You're right, I do remember Holmes questioning himself. I can't remember how I felt about it. I can see someone doing it right, after all he is human though he rarely shows that side of him. However, given how we think Horowitz feels about him, I don't think he would handle it right.

One of the things I love about Laurie R. King, she manages to keep him Holmes and yet shows a more human side of him.
KatieMc 8 years ago
I put the popsugar reading challenge list in a google doc which may make it easier to track
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
That's a great idea! I'm putting each book into the shelf and noting which checkmark it corresponds to. I also have the picture stored and I'm placing checks and the book name beside the element in paint.