KatieMc 7 years ago
RE: if Maud’s daughter, Helen, kept repeating things that Maud had forgotten, why then didn’t she keep repeating the details of what had happened to Elizabeth!?

Yes, it would have been nice, but it would have changed the whole structure of the book. It makes me wonder if the author could have provided the reader with this information and still manage to have an interesting book?
KatieMc 7 years ago
SPOILER QUESTION to follow.......

At what point did you realize that Maud's agitation about Elizabeth was really about Sukey? One thing about dementia is that the short term memory suffers while long term memories can remain vivid. I can't say I totally had it figured out (I never really do) but I think about 1/2 way through I realized that she was probably going to solve the Sukey mystery.
KatieMc 7 years ago
One more interesting point (and then I will shut up)... patients with dementia often have a paranoid streak. I think it might be due to the fact that they are confused and might think that people are trying to trick or take advantage of them. Anyway, I never got a paranoid vibe from Maud. I wonder if the author did this intentionally. Of the half dozen or so relatives/acquaintances that I have known with dementia, only one didn't seem paranoid.
Hol 7 years ago
I think you're right, if the author had provided the info about Elizabeth it would have changed the book too much. Really, it would have meant less mystery to solve, but I think Sukey's disappearance was enough to be honest.

I think it took me a while to realise Maud was really conserned about Sukey. I think I knew distantly from the beginning, but I didn't think it coherently until after the halfway mark.

Yes, I was also thinking of the paranoia angle. Although do you not think, in a way, that the whole book was geared towards paranoia, the paranoia of Elizabeth?
KatieMc 7 years ago
I would say she was paranoid for Elizabeth, not of Elizabeth. And of course, Elizabeth is a proxy for........ Maud never seemed to have the attitude that people in her present day life were out to get her personally.
Hol 7 years ago
Oh yes, I see what you mean now.