Martini 8 months ago
Learning runes at school sounds pretty awesome.
Krazykiwi @ Kiwitopia 8 months ago
Apparently around here, they still used them fairly regularly as a written language until about 200 years ago! My favourite thing though, is that the cafetaria rules are painted around the walls in runes as a frieze. And all the kids could read them too.

(I actually found a picture of the cafetaria on Google: http://www.t-d.se/tdimages/147320/Stallarholmsskolan021.jpg )
Martini 8 months ago
That's cool, thanks for the link!
They're like a national secret code, only very few people outside of sweden should be able to read them. You can tell me that these are the cafeteria rules, but perhaps it actually says "Growing up sucks! Release your inner Pippi Longstocking!" ;)
Wanda's Book Reviews 8 months ago
Lucky you to live so near Viking ruins!
I think I bought this today. I dont know though, I am sick and my brain feels like mush. Me sick with an Internet connection, a new tablet, and a bank card makes be broke.
Krazykiwi @ Kiwitopia 8 months ago
Ahh, I recognise this. I have taken to hiding my wallet when I am in "my brain is full of concrete mix" mode :)
Murder by Death 8 months ago
I have a question that's going to sound stupid, and I think you answered it in your most excellent review, but I just want to make sure before I shell out for a hardcover. So - what was his point in writing this book? Is it purely a collection of known Norse myths that are as true to primary source as possible, with some creative license taken only where there are narrative gaps? Or, is he reimagining the myths and weaving his own story based on his interpretation of them?

I definitely got the impression it's the former, but I'm often positive my husband said 'A' only to find out he meant 'B'... so I thought it safest to ask. :)
Krazykiwi @ Kiwitopia 8 months ago
It's straight up A. They're direct retellings, and stick very closely to the sources, but retold in simple modern language, although not anachronistically so. The Gaimanesque touches are in things like the dialogue (obviously not from the source, and typically quite funny) and I don't know quite how to put it, something in the rythym of the tales. If you're a Gaiman fan already, you'll know what I mean by that I guess :)

I'm not sure I would buy the hardback of this, myself. It's a slim little book, and I don't see myself re-reading it like I do his other work. My kids are too old now for me to be reading it to them, although it'd be perfect for that! Actually I might grab the audiobook sometime though if I see it at a good price, he's reading it himself, and he's one of few authors I think are good at that.
Murder by Death 8 months ago
Perfect - thanks for this. I've been wanting to find a collection of Norse tales for quite some time (since a very good friend of mine admitted reading them in the Old Norse, which I did not at all find intimidating *snort*). I've read *some* Gaiman; enough to know I like his style, but I didn't want to get a pastiche or imaginative reinterpretation. Since I don't have any Norse mythology at the moment, I thought this might be a good one to get in hardcover.

But I'm definitely going to listen to it in audio - as soon as the other 800 people who were quicker than I was at reserving it from my library are finished. :P
Krazykiwi @ Kiwitopia 8 months ago
Oh! In that case, a hardcover makes much more sense for you than for me :) It's more of a very loving repackaging of the original stories, than any kind of reinterpretation. I think you'll like it.