Comments: 12
Degrees of Affection 6 years ago
Wow, CYOA romance. I'd never have thought. I'm kinda intrigued.
It is intriguing, and I think a pretty brilliant idea. The narratives I've read in the genre so far have been hit and miss for the most part (people will take them for what they offer), but I'm kind of hoping there's more to where this came from. It has a tremendous amount of potential and I have to say it's really creative.
Familiar Diversions 6 years ago
The first thing I thought of when I saw "'choose your own adventure' type steamy erotic romance'" was Japanese visual novels. It wouldn't surprise me if that's where the idea came from.
Yep, I had the same thought. Visual novels have been popular a long, long time in Japan.
Degrees of Affection 6 years ago
I hadn't thought of that...but you're probably right. CYOA would interest a wider audience then visual novels, so it makes sense they would change the format.

I've always wondered why they didn't make their way over here or at least Americanized versions of them.
Familiar Diversions 6 years ago
I thought they were an odd concept when I first heard about them, but I've since "played" a few, and it really was like a CYOA that happened to have artwork. I've learned I don't have much more patience for them than I did for the CYOA books I tried to read when I was a kid, though.
Degrees of Affection 6 years ago
I've never played one, though I'd like to, but my husband has and he found it passable. We play games like Skyrim, Mass Effect, and the Bioshock universe...so it was kinda a passing the time sort of thing. I'd probably like them more, considering I love to play Professor Layton.
Familiar Diversions 6 years ago
There are translated visual novels - I have an Android tablet and have tried a few, and I think there are some available in the Apple store too. Some of them are free, or free up to a certain point, with purchasable expansions (additional routes, for example). I considered writing reviews for them the way I do books and movies and such, but never did for some reason. They really could use reviews, though, if only to point out the varying "heat" levels and which ones have plot points or moments that could lead to stabby feelings.
Degrees of Affection 6 years ago
That's one of the reasons I've never gotten into them. I'd like to but I've never found a site or someone who says for certain which level the "heat" factor is. I may look around again. I know there are some free ones, I'm just not sure where to find them. I'd have to play them on my computer though. No tablet and only an ipod nano.
I've played a few visual novels myself, and yeah - the heat factor was one of the reasons why I didn't do very many of them unless there were some of a certain genre that I knew what I was going into before picking them up. I'm also aware of some of the popular visual novels, particularly those that ended up as anime/manga adaptations.
Familiar Diversions 6 years ago
Some free ones I know of that can be played on a computer are

- RE: Alistair+++ - I've only played for one route, but remember it being okay, other than that the guy had one mildly creepy moment. It's a romance, and the one route was very low on the heat scale, just kissing.
- don't take it personally babe, it just ain't your story - I never even finished my first play-through, which isn't to say it's bad. It's just that the main character's position (he's a teacher who knows more about what's going on in his students' lives than they know and can choose whether or not to act on that knowledge) was incredibly creepy. I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be romantic, and the writer wanted players to see this setup as creepy and wrong. She has created several other really interesting free and for-pay ones, but they can be emotionally draining.

Hmm, now I'm thinking I should go back and write reviews.
Degrees of Affection 6 years ago
Please do. Let me know if you do, because I'd certainly love to read them. I'll try looking for that one.