Lornographic Material 4 years ago
I rec WATER FOR ELEPHANTS and JOYLAND. :)
Ha, thanks E.!
Degrees of Affection 4 years ago
Isn't there a Daphne DuMariae (can't spell and in hurry) book where England is turned into a theme park? Might be a short story but I remember hearing about it somewhere. I think it's a later book, if that helps.
I'll look for it, but I think I know which one you're talking about...just not off the top of my head. Argh!
Degrees of Affection 4 years ago
I might have been thinking of Rule Britannia, but the blurb I read didn't mention anything like you were looking for.
Yeah, I don't think that one's it. For some reason, I remember reading a description similar to yours - England turned into a theme park, but I don't know if that was a work by DuMaurier or someone else. I'll have to search for it.
Degrees of Affection 4 years ago
I think what might have happened was some described a book but told me the name was the DuMaurier book. Knowing the person...that's happened before.
I did find this book that had London reimaged as a theme park - I'm going to add it to my list because it seems interesting (link to book listed on GR): https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6449926-pastworld
Degrees of Affection 4 years ago
Thanks, I'll have to check it out!
Darth Pony 4 years ago
The Dream Park series by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes is all I can think of not already on your list. Goodreads page for the first book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/357922.Dream_Park?ac=1
Thank you so much! Seems like that's on my GR list, but not here. I'll add it shortly.
Familiar Diversions 4 years ago
Circus of the Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton
Carousel Sun by Sharon Lee
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
I'm actually re-reading "Something Wicked This Way Comes" at this very moment. =) It's an old favorite of mine. Thank you so much
Familiar Diversions 4 years ago
Oh, and I remember this being a graphic novel (or picture book? can't remember) rather than a novel, but it might fit: The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr. Punch by Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Dave McKean.
Oh that definitely works, thank you! =)
Familiar Diversions 4 years ago
Since my first response to your post, I've added two books to my TBR and requested one via ILL. This kind of thing is why my TBR is so huge.
I was surprised to find that "The Accidental Siren's" actually free on Amazon right now. Thank you!
I'm definitely going to follow this thread. I love amusement parks!