Char's Horror Corner 4 weeks ago
AMEN.
Portable Magic 4 weeks ago
I don't have any objection to recreational marijuana, but I am curious about the claims for its medical use. I hear a lot of assertions but very little about actual scientific evidence from clinical trials.
Char's Horror Corner 4 weeks ago
Since it is still illegal FEDERALLY for any use, many universities and/or labs cannot legally obtain or grow marijuana for testing. At least, that's my understanding as of now. I wish that would change for so many reasons, (jailing people for growing their own plants, raids on facilities in states where it's legal for medical and/or recreational use) and probably most importantly-real testing and experimentation on medical uses. There is a whole world of medicine that may be hidden in those buds that we haven't discovered yet. Who knows how many people could be helped?
Portable Magic 3 weeks ago
I can see how that would limit the scientific testing in the US. What about outside of the US? Isn't it legal in some European and Asian countries?
sherrysniderfundin 4 weeks ago
Thank for commenting. There have programs on TV that help to explain the issues with doing research that you covered well, Char. I have seen where some people even moved to a legal state to seek help for themselves or their children. I am hoping that the changes we have seen, will continue to grow and more answers will be found. I have chronic pain and unable to take many medications that would help because of adverse reactions. Due to pain meds being abused nationwide, even my doctor won't prescribe them any more. Being in pain every day, all day, can be very debilitating, and anything I can find to help would be on my list. To think I could lose everything and be jailed, just because I am seeking relief is SO wrong.
Char's Horror Corner 4 weeks ago
I'm sorry to hear that you are in pain. I am in a similar situation. :(
Here in MA we voted to approve it for recreational use, (as medicinal use has been approved for a few years now.) Even though we approved it for recreational use, our state is dragging its feet, and adding so many regulations and taxes, it's still not available and I think it's been two years since we voted.
Portable Magic 3 weeks ago
I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you to suffer with chronic pain, and I've wondered how the efforts to address the opiod crisis would impact people who actually need opiods to manage pain. There does seem to be sufficient evidence that marijuana is effective for pain management. My concern is about the claims that it can treat so many diseases and conditions, where there seems to be so little actual evidence. It reminds me of the claims made for various nutritional supplements that aren't FDA regulated. Also, I'm concerned about parents choosing to use it on children without adequate scientific knowledge of the potential long term effects and without informed medical advice.
sherrysniderfundin 3 weeks ago
I have friends and family in MA, but they would only be using it recreationally. I have a relative in Georgia, and sad to say, she will not make it. She is in serious pain, but it is not available to her and nothing is helping her. I am in Florida and it has been approved for medical use, but I don't think we can get it. We do have some doctors available now and I will be checking it out. I agree, that we need to be very careful. I always wonder about all the stuff in health food stores and all the supplements. I take vitamins and even wonder about them. We definitely need more studies done, but it is difficult to do when the government holds the reins so tight. I don't know what the answer is, but with all the brilliant minds we have available to us, I am counting on them to figure it out.
Portable Magic 3 weeks ago
I agree - they need to promote legitimate research so people can work with the facts and make informed choices. The current direction, where medical use claims are trending in the direction of unregulated supplements and snake oil salesman, is really troubling to me. But people who are suffering need to have better choices available, too.
Char's Horror Corner 3 weeks ago
You've said it all right there, PM.
sherrysniderfundin 3 weeks ago
I agree Char. Thanks so much for all your comments.