I HATE it when people label a character a Mary Sue just because they don't like her. It's like, if you're gonna criticism it, at least learn about what you're criticizing! It drives me nuts. And like, if the character is good at, say, math? Or cooking? Or singing? Or all at the same time? BOOM. Instant Sue. Despite the fact that real life people are often talented at many things.
Experiment BL626 4 years ago
For me, I hate it when people are quick to stamp a kickass heroine a Mary Sue, but rarely would they do it for a kickass *hero*, and I'm like "WTF?". Men kicking ass are men just being men, but women kicking ass and bam, they're a Mary Sue. *facepalm*
Khanh the Killjoy 4 years ago
I don't slap the label on without giving reasons D:
Experiment BL626 4 years ago
You don't, and you don't have to give reasons if you don't want to. No reader is required to. I'm just tired of how for every 99 female characters that are stamped Mary Sue, only one male character is stamped a Gary Stu. Mary Sue's are highly over-reported, and Gary Stu's are highly under-reported. Sometime I feel like I'm the only reviewer who stamp characters Gary Stu's. No matter what definition the reader believe a Mary Sue to be, there should be roughly the same amount of reported Gary Stu's and Mary Sue's. I always hear about how the YA heroine is a Mary Sue, which I rarely doubt, but what about her love interest? Isn't the "bad boy" also a Gary Stu of sort?
Experiment BL626 4 years ago
Ooo. That came off venty. Sorry. Anyway, the message I want to send here is: Gary Stu's are around us, we should stamp them too in addition to the Mary Sue's.
Khanh the Killjoy 4 years ago
Ha! I've called out a few myself I think the reason why I don't get them is because I generally stick to books with a female MC. I've read only a few books narrated by makes and as such my Gary Stu proportions are significantly lower.
I don't really call out GS because I very rarely read male-lead books. But it is true that a GS is just a regular guy whereas a MS is some perfect girl. Harry Potter's a GS, but everyone still loves him.
Khanh the Killjoy 4 years ago
Doh. That didn't even occur to me. I think sometimes we do put on the rose-colored lenses when it comes to a character we love so much.
Experiment BL626 4 years ago
Mary Sue's and Gary Stu's aren't necessarily bad characters. Harry Potter is one of the good, well-developed ones. :)