logo
Incorrect verification code

Esther Averill - Community Reviews back

sort by language
Kaethe rated it 6 years ago
Jenny, the brave little black cat in the red scarf, finds the courage she needs to help a friend. It'd be unbearable if it weren't so cute and earnest. Edited to add: And there's a nose flute which is crazy. Library copy
Kaethe rated it 6 years ago
Cats going to Boarding School? Oh, my, yes, please! I can only imagine I'm as fond of these books as I am for nostalgia's sake. Because the art is only adequate: some pictures are adorable, but others seem just poorly executed. And the stories themselves are practically cliches of 40s children's l...
debnance
debnance rated it 8 years ago
Did you know there was once a Boarding School for Cats? If you were a cat, would you want to go there?Some who went there were like Pickles, sent by his master to learn manners. Pickles who thrived at the boarding school by running over innocent cats with his hook-and-ladder truck. Others were sent...
Osho
Osho rated it 9 years ago
I received a copy from a friend to whom I'd mentioned that I adored Esther Averill's cat books as a child. Next year maybe I can score a copy of Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky. Averill's early reader tells the story of Pickles, an aggressive, maculate yel...
Kaethe rated it 10 years ago
Now that I think about it, perhaps it's the combination of new York realism with the touches of the absurd, like Pickles in his own little hook and ladder. Or cats dancing the sailor's hornpipe. It works.
Kaethe rated it 10 years ago
For some reason the Jenny books don't seem to old-fashionedly twee. maybe just because sometimes the cats are mean to each other. Anyway, everyone loves Jenny.
Bashara Likes Books
Bashara Likes Books rated it 10 years ago
This is the story of Pickles, a big brute of a spotted yellow cat, and how he finds a sense of purpose. I like that the story is told in three parts so that an emergent reader can a) take breaks when needed and b) feel a great sense of accomplishment upon finishing each part. The vocabulary is mos...
Kaethe rated it 11 years ago
These stories are so wonderfully unexpected, they're strange and charming and full of cats acting not quite like people but not quite like cats either.
Kaethe rated it 15 years ago
I like that the cats don't behave exactly like humans, although they do a little bit.
Kaethe rated it 52 years ago
It's got a spotted cat instead of a dalmatian for the fire department mascot. And the cat wears a fire hat. It's brilliant. Go and read all the Esther Averill forthwith.
Need help?