logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: -Mind-
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-06-14 19:36
The Power of Your Subconscious Mind
The Power of Your Subconscious Mind - Joseph Murphy

You, my dear reader, are in possession of the most powerful tool in the entire Universe that you could ever possess through your entire lifetime. You are in possession of your mind, you are in possession of your beautiful mind, your beautiful mind that's capable to bring impossible ideas and impossible dreams to life. So my question, my dear reader is, are you even fully aware that your beautiful mind is so powerful that it can give birth to impossible ideas and impossible dreams? Probably not, am I right? You wanna know why? Because many of us don't use our minds the correct way, and instead of feeding our minds with wisdom and with knowledge of this world, we feed our minds with silly unimportant nonsense and stupidity of this world. And it's because many of us feed our minds with silly unimportant nonsense and stupidity of this world, we cannot take complete control over our minds, for our minds are in complete control over us, and what we do through life is what our minds tell us to do. Because you see our minds are like hungry wolves that truly need to feed on something, and when we feed our minds with something we shouldn't be feeding them, we are providing them with a chance to take complete control over us. So, when we feed our minds with something we should be feeding them, we are providing ourselves with a chance to take complete control over them. We are providing ourselves with a chance to recreate our lives by our own terms and by our own actions. This book shall teach you many things in that retrospect, but most important of all, how to take complete control over your mind, unleash its hidden power, and how to live a life you've always wanted to live, life by your own terms, life by your own actions, enriched with joy, happiness, laughter, and filled by love and filled by gratitude.

review 2019-06-07 02:58
The Title Says Almost Everything You Need to Know About this Rollicking Adventure
The Girl Who Could Move Sh*t with Her Mind - Jackson Ford

Not unlike James Alan Gardner's All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault from 2017, the title, The Girl Who Could Move Sh*t with Her Mind tells you all the important things about this book that you need to know before picking it up -- although I think this book does a better job of following through with the tone of the title throughout the book. The voice, the attitude and the defining characteristic of the protagonist (at least as most people are concerned) is all right there. If the title turns you off, don't bother buying/borrowing this novel, you're going to hate the experience. The same goes for the first few pages -- if you're not amused and/or intrigued by Teagan's personality and narration within the first chapter, just stop and go find something else. If you're amused and/or intrigued? You'll be in for a good time. If you're amused and intrigued? Well, my friend, settle back and enjoy.

Teagan Frost is our titular girl, and she...well can move sh...aving cream with her mind. She has psychokinetic abilities (not telekinetic, she's touchy about that distinction) -- or pk, as she calls is. Teagan will slowly describe her abilities to us as she has opportunity -- and eventually will spell out to someone where those abilities came from (surprisingly far from the beginning -- which I appreciated). But for the initial plot all you need to know is what the title said.

She's part of a pseudo-governmental espionage team that acts a lot like judge and jury without bothering with the formalities. No one, or almost none of her team wants to be on it, but the shadow-y figure that calls the shots is forcing them all to be part of it (including Teagan -- don't get the idea that she wants to be some pk wielding super-hero/secret agent -- she wants to work in a kitchen somewhere until she's good enough to start her own restaurant). The rest of the team have various skills that prove handy in their tasks, but she's the only one has any kind of extra-ordinary abilities. Actually, as far as anyone knows, Teagan is the only person alive who can do what she does.

That is, until a dead body is discovered -- and the victim could not have been killed by anyone but a psychokinetic. Naturally, there's a tie to both Teagan's teams recent activities and the location they were in the night before. The police are looking for them (not that they have an explanation for how the victim died, but they expect someone can), and some of the higher ups in the government want to take care of Teagan without worrying about due process (those who live by the sword and all) -- and if that "take care" involves dissection or vivisection so they can figure out how her pk was given to her . . . well, who's to complain? Teagan doesn't have a lot of time to clear her name, but she's going to try. As are most of her associates -- if she does down for this, they will to.

Time prevents me from talking about all the things I want to, but that should be enough to whet the ol' appetite. It's a fun book and not one you need to know much about first. There's a lot of action, plenty of snark, some violence, some banter, some mystery, some heartbreak. There's a very Cas Russel/Peri Reed feel to this book and this world. But something that feels entirely fresh at the same time. I'm not sure that's technically possible, but it seems it. So it can appeal both to fans of Cas and Peri, as well as those who didn't care for them/don't know who they are.

There's a lot of depth to the characters, a lot more than you'd expect -- which is one of the great parts about this book. As you learn more and more about what's really going on around the murder victims the more you learn about Teagan and her team/found family (ditto for Teagan, actually). There are plots revolving around romance and friendship plots that are legitimately surprising -- in a pleasant way, nice to see someone going the way Ford does, making the choices he makes for his characters. While I'm on the subject, it wasn't just in characterizations/relationships that Ford surprised me -- he did it throughout. Even when I was saying "Well of course, ____ was really doing ___, there's no other explanation" to myself, that was a heartbeat after I said, "What??!?! No, that can't be right!" I'm not saying I couldn't see anything coming, but the ratio of surprises to telegraphed moves comes out in Ford's favor.

There are a number of X-Men parallels, going on here -- all of which would appeal to Teagan (some of which she mentions). Which is a nice touch. It's probably also something that deserves more space than I'm giving it -- I'm stopping myself, because I think I could go a long way down this particular rabbit hole. I'd love to ask Ford about it.

Now, there's one character that I think Ford messed up -- he's part of a government clean-up crew that comes to take Teagan into custody. For some reason, he hates Teagan with some sadistic vengeance, and isn't afraid to tell anyone that. It's senseless and motionlessness (yeah, I know sometimes people hate others for no reason -- I can accept that in real life, I can't accept it in fiction. There has to be a reason). Which is strange, as little as we understand this jerk, we know the murderer and the individual prompting them to act. Technically, we know more about the killer than we do about Teagan for most of the book. Which just makes the clean-up guy even stranger.

I expect in future installments, we'll get an explanation for the hatred and I'll shut up. But not until then. Ford may be playing a long game here, but this is a short game world. Ford's set up a lot for future installments, really (you won't figure out just how much until the end -- unless you're smarter than me, then maybe you'll see some of it coming) -- but that doesn't stop this from being a wholly satisfying experience.

So much of the time when I've been reading lately I get wrapped up in evaluating a book (for good or ill), wondering why an author did this or that, and what that might mean for the book as a whole, what that might say about the writer, etc. There's nothing wrong with that -- at all. But every now and then, it's nice to stop the critical thinking and just enjoy a book. I'm not saying I did that wholly (and my lengthy notes can testify to that) -- but in a real sense I did. I got lost in Teagan's voice, the action, and wondering just how far the killer (and the individual pushing him to be one) would go, and who'd be lost in the process. I didn't worry about what I was going to write, but about what Jackson Ford had written. I appreciate that.

I think this is one that could be better on a second (and then maybe on the third) read, once you can take your time and not race to find out what happened, or be dazzled by Teagan's personality. If I'm wrong, and Ford's just razzle dazzle -- well, you're left with a fun read with snappy prose and an more-entertaining-than-most protagonist/narrator. Either way, The Girl Who Could Move Sh*t with Her Mind is a book I recommend without a hint of hesitation (if you pass the simple tests from my first paragraph).

Disclaimer: I received this eARC from Orbit Books via NetGalley in exchange for this post -- thanks to both for this.

✔ A book with a curse word in the title.

Source: irresponsiblereader.com/2019/06/06/the-girl-who-could-move-sht-with-her-mind-by-jackson-ford-the-title-says-almost-everything-you-need-to-know-about-this-rollicking-adventure
review 2019-05-23 20:48
These WInston boys Are so Fine
Beard in Mind - Penny Reid

Beau is just such a great guy. He's patient, loyal, gentle, honest, hard working and sexy. Shelly his love interest is something you don't see a lot of in books. She's a tall, sexy auto mechanic, a famous artist, and has some OCD issues. Them coming together, involves therapy, talking her issues over and patience. (something I lack) I just got so tired of her issues getting in the way. yeh I'm a horrible insensitive person. :P I didn't want to listen to her program, one more time.  I felt bad for beau that he had to tiptoe around her.

There was a big secret revealed, HUGE ! it knocked me on the floor.

i didn't enjoy this one as much as I did other works from Penny Reid. Still it's a 4 star read of sexy humor.

review 2019-04-24 16:14
awesome follow up!
An Unlocked Mind - Parker Williams,K.C. Wells
Independent reviewer for Divine Magazine, I was gifted the audio file of this book. Rob is TRYING to be better person than the one who nearly ruined his brother’s life, he really is. But it’s hard when no one will help you. A visit to the opening night of Secrets is just what he needs. Til a demonstration has him running. But he returns the next week, and runs straight into Vic, along with giving Vic attitude. Rescuing the obnoxious little git wasn’t in Vic’s game plan for the evening, but he can’t leave Rob walking in the pouring rain. After depositing Rob at the train station, he never expects to see him again. Although, something about Rob calls to him, it really does. When Rob starts turning up every weekend, Vic begins to look forward to his visits. Then Life throws Rob under a bus and Vic knows this is his chance to get into Rob’s head, and for Rob to get out of it. This is book 2 in the Secrets series, but you don’t NEED to have read/listened to book one first, but I think you should. It’s bloody good! As is this one! Vic isn’t what I would call a Dom Dom, his speciality is getting a sub out of his head, rather than floggers and whips. And he KNOWS something is eating away at Rob’s mind, he just needs to unlock it. But to do THAT, Vic needs to get to know Rob, on his weekly visits to London. When Rob loses his job in Manchester, Vic offers him a lifeline, under strict terms that Vic lays down. And Rob, desperate for help and starved of any real human interaction, jumps at the chance. Rob did some things as a younger man, that come back to haunt him, that STILL haunt him. A conversation with his mother turns his brother against him, and Rob is suffering that guilt so bad, it’s a dead weight on his shoulders. Meeting Vic, though, lets something free in his soul, something he had been so afraid to admit before. Something his mother would not approve of. Something he so badly needs, it brings him to the brink of his limits and budgets and his money runs out faster than it should. But Vic? Vic gives him a chance, so long as he sticks with the rules, and those RULES are what Rob needs, He needs to find himself again, deep within himself, before he can forgive himself and to make amends with his brother, should his brother want to. What I particularly loved about this one, was the lack of the physical BDSM stuff that usually comes with these books, I mean I LOVED the lack of it. Oh don’t get me wrong, this is a sexy book, and it has a crazy amount of heat but there is a distinct lack of floggers and paddles. This was very much a MENTAL book, as in Rob needed to get out of his head so bad, and Vic knew just how to do that. Rob is, quite simply, a wreck at the start of this book, and it’s a long while before Vic can get him to admit what’s eating him the most. That is: what he did to his brother. But when the FULL picture comes clear, I cried for Rob, I really did. He felt so bad for something he did not do, it messed his head. Vic, being the most laid back Dom I have quite possibly EVER come across, is just the man for Rob, just the Dom to get to the bottom of his pain and release it. Rob calls to his soul, he really does. But not immediately. It takes a little time for Rob to worm his way in, but once he does, Vic is all in. I NEED to listen Rob’s story now though! I need to know what a little shit Rob was, and how Rob was affected by what happened, I really do. So, books one and two of Collars and Cuffs are nicely lined up for when I’ve got time. Joel Leslie narrates this one, as he does book one. I cannot, CANNOT fault the narration of these books, this one especially. Leslie pours so MUCH into Rob, and to Vic to, but to a lesser extent. The emotion pouring out of Rob when he finally breaks down and tells Vic all made me cry, great wrecking sobs that I have no doubt might NOT have come had I been reading. Leslie is, quite simply a Master at his craft, and coupled with the work of Wells and Williams, I can only give this book. . . . 5 stars for the book 5 stars for the narration 5 stars overall. **same worded review will appear elsewhere**

review 2019-04-17 14:26