logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2014-Books-Read
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-05-28 22:47
Book review : Daughter of smoke and bone lanini Taylor
Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor

My review from 2014

April 8- May 23

Summary -Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

Review - Karou lives two lives she's a teenager that lives in Prague and has sketchbooks filled with different creatures and the other life where those monsters are actually real she is the errand girl to the chimera a man monster named Brimstone and it involves teeth Brimstone has teeth Karou doesn't know what is with the teeth and where the shop really is he says it is in Elsewhere . other characters that I loved are zuzana is karou's best friend . then we meet Ackiva who is an angel with vengeance for the chimera he and the rest of the angels are putting black handprints on portals when Ackiva and Kauro meet he tries to kill her and then stops Karou gets away and gets back to the portal she sees the door that has always been closed open and goes in and brimstone is there and this other creatures he throws her out goes home and she tells zuzanna and she believes her when kishmish is flying dead into her hands and the portal is gone. ackiva wants to know who Karou is and when he finds her Karou bares her hamsas and hurts him they go to talking and then something happens she starts to feel for him and when he notices her wishbone necklace and he says he knows who she is then his angel family appears he tells her to run and ackiva tells them that he fell for a chimera and they left . before I get into something big that I was not expecting I want to talk about the wishes so the wishes comes from pain scuppies are not that bad but bigger it's worse and Brimstone said hope is bigger than wishes . so when they break the wishbone it goes back to madrill I knew of her because she was akiva's love and she died but this was like the biggest thing I liked hearing all the stuff but when Mad is sentenced to death for being an angel lover that's when resurrection comes into play so apparently when you die you can take the soul and put it in another body and that's what happened to hide Mad from thiago the white wolf Brimstone put her as Karou WHAT! I didn't see that coming and the ending there all dead I loved this book so much I recommend it .

Favorite quotes Who are you ? he asked she almost didn't recognize the language he spoke as chimera so soft on his tongue don't you usually find that out before you kill someone.

Daughter of smoke and bone by lani Taylor

You haven't come up here before ? He asked she turned to him oh yes I bring all the boys up here . And if they don't meet your approval he said you can always push them off. Page 218

Fiala would so eat her words . You should bring him in to model on monday . Right said Karou I'm sure he wouldn't mind stripping for a bunch of humans disrobing said zuzanna ,prim .For art page 236

It's a wishbone , she told him , holding it out . you hook your finger around the spur , like this , and we each make a wish and pull. whoever gets the bigger piece gets their wish. Magic ? akiva had asked . what bird does this come from that it's bones are magic . oh it's not magic . The wishes don't really come true then why do it ? she shrugged . Hope ? hope can be a powerful force . Maybe they're no actual magic in it , but when you know what you hope for the most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen , almost like magic . Page 288

review 2015-09-05 21:34
Publisher:  Thomas & Mercer
Publication Date:  9/1/2015
Format: Other
My Rating: 4 Stars

A special thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Robert Ellis introduces a gritty, new LA Homicide cop, Matthew Trevor Jones, the first in the series, CITY OF ECHOES an intense, fast-paced Hollywood noir-style detective crime thriller.

Matt Jones is excited about celebrating his promotion to Hollywood Homicide, with his friend over dinner and drinks, when he receives a call from his supervisor, Bob Grace. He is to start the following day.

An emergency, with a warning. Somebody has been murdered in Hollywood. He and his partner, Danny Cabrera--almost as green as Matt, with just three months under his belt working in Hollywood, happen to be the only choices for this assignment.

Between the economy and the budget cutbacks from Washington and Sacramento—cops had been pulled off the street and crime had become a burgeoning industry. So both men had been fast-tracked to Homicide—his celebration will need to be postponed. He texted his buddy. Now, it is show time.The combination of excitement and terror.

A violent murder case, a man gunned down in a parking lot off Hollywood Blvd – A serial robber? The victim—is it someone he knows? The murder victim had just received a text—dinner off. Call ME. From him? Could it be Hughes?

The SUV--Kevin Hughes had been more than a friend to him. More than a mentor. After their tour of duty in Afghanistan, it had been Hughes who convinced Matt to write off his troubles by leaving the east coast and moving to LA Hughes took him under his wing. Now he has to tell Kevin's wife. She will devastated. Where was Hughes partner, Frankie Lane? Something was going on? He senses something. Something familiar.

Matt had transferred from the Pacific Division but was aware of the string of holdups that had been occurring in Hollywood, and along the Strip. The three-piece urban bandit.

Cabrera, goes back to the station and tells Grace, Matt may not be able to handle the case, since he and Hughes were friends. It may be too much for him. When they saw the video tapes; by the time they reached the SUV and saw Hughes body; the three-piece bandit, the cop killer in the hooded sweatshirt was long gone.

His new partner thinks he cannot handle the case – they had too much history. Matt is mad as hell at Cabrera, and an overheated argument. It is his case. He had seen his friend gunned down on video. They need to get this guy off the street. Grace is acting weird and nervous and something stinks about the entire situation. Something is off.

When another detective’s suspicious death points to a police frame-up of an innocent man in the first of a series of murders, Matt cannot trust his partner, or his boss. Actually, who can he trust. Evil or good? Corruption? A cover-up? Greed? He has to put the pieces together. What is the motive?

In addition to all his stress, and paranoia, he is worried about Kevin’s widow, Laura and his own past, the father who betrayed him and his mother- his demons. It haunts him. Will Matt come unglued and be able to hold up under the pressure and stress, or completely unravel, before he uncovers what is going down. There has to be a missing piece? Is his dad out to get him? Does he have another life? The Greedy Bastard?

In the meantime, Jones uncovers evidence linking the crime to a brutal murder, eighteen months ago. There is something more going on and he is in deep. So he has two choices to back off or dive in. A deep seated, high-level cover up and the body count is rising. More complications.

There’s a problem and it’s in Hollywood. It has something to do with the investigation of the serial killer.

Why do the arresting officers start dying? Why do murders continue after the presumed killer is caught? Someone is protecting a secret? A betrayal? Pretending. A copycat? Could someone be trying to throw them off the real killer? Transferring the blame to the three-piece bandit, or the dirty cops? Could there be something bigger in play?

When Matt thinks he is finally linking the pieces of the mystery, he has to play along in order to gather more information.Blurring the lines between good and evil.

A complex fast-paced detective mystery cop procedural-- full of red herrings, with twists and turns with every page turn. A flawed main character, with one problem after another, coming at him full force. Better keep up, with more dead and characters than you can possibly name. Can he survive the pressure?

EVIL. Monsters. Torture.  Cutting.  "Chasing Down The ONE!"

In addition to the electronic reading copy, also purchased the audio, due to travel. The narrator Nick Podehl was an ideal match, with the perfect voice for Ellis’ novel's tone of an old classic detective movie; matching the intensity.

The writing was clever with seamless connections of the multi-layered storylines. Many hidden meanings with the word “echoes”, when reading between the lines- a clever title.

My second book by Ellis, after listening to THE DEAD ROOM,narrated by Jim McCance. Highly recommend both, and look forward to more.

With the cliffhanger ending (I am dying), fans will have to wait and see what is next for Ellis’ new main man. Does Matt have what it takes to survive? Will Ellis' Jones, have as many lives asConnelly’s Harry Bosch or Mickey Haller, or Evanovich’s Joseph Morelli and Plum?

More to come with, The Love Killings (Detective Matt Jones #2) coming, 8/2/2016!
Source: www.judithdcollinsconsulting.com/#!City-of-Echoes/cmoa/55eb1b5e0cf2de902a7e98a9
review SPOILER ALERT! 2015-08-28 01:12
Book review : The Assassin and the pirate lord by Sarah J . Mass
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord - Sarah J. Maas

August 21-27

Summary- On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She’s been sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes—and she will risk everything to right the wrong she’s been sent to bring about.

Review- I haven't read throne of glass but I'm so excited to after reading this Celaena is a badass . Celaena and Sam have to collect slaves from a pirate which Celaena is against and plans to free them . Sam and her don't get along very well but they work together to free the slaves . They trick Rolf but it doesn't work out well he catches them but Sam runs and Celana knocks him out and revels herself to be a sixteen year old girl which shocks the pirate. But the Slaves get away but is Sam safe I wasn't to sure but she makes Rolf sign this paper saying he won't allow slaves she finds sam they hug great ending I loved this story .

Quotes-
He couldn't be dead. Not from the dagger, or those dozen pirates, or from the catapult. No, Sam couldn't be so stupid that he'd get himself killed. She'd... she'd... Well she'd kill him if he was dead.”

She lifted her chin. "I've been shouting for you."
Sam shrugged, sauntering over to her. "I figured you could wait a few minutes, given that I saved the day and all." His brows rose high on his ash-covered face.
"Some hero." She gestured to the ruin of the tower around them. "I've never seen such sloppy work”

Sam smiled, his brown eyes turning golden in the dawn. It was such a Sam look, the twinkle of mischief, the hint of exasperation, the kindness that would always, always make him a better person than she was.”

review 2015-02-09 15:45
.Tiger Lily Book Review.
Tiger Lily - Jodi Lynn Anderson

I wanted to love this book so much more than I did, I was really excited about this reading this and I think I got my hopes up slightly. I think I was expecting so much more.

Anderson is a genius, instead of just taking what we know and making a book about Tiger lily and Neverland she has really put her own stamp on things, she has made it her own. The characters are older than in the original which I really liked. Anderson has her details down, the fact that Neverland is real and the tribes views when it comes to the Englanders and the 'aging disease' that they carry. Tiger Lily is badass, there is no argument there, the villagers know it but they have this silent respect for her, and I don't it's all down to her being the Tik Toks, the chief, daughter.

Tiger Lily is very guarded and almost doesn't want herself to have fun and enjoy others company, and I think this is where I felt let down. When she meets Peter he and the boys are so excited by her, Peter wants to play and show-off in true Peter Pan fashion but most importantly he wants her to share in his life. But Tiger Lily is so guarded that she doesn't really join in with them, she's more of a silent observer, watching from the side-lines and joining in in her own way. It's understandable to begin with, it's her nature but I hoped that as the story went on we'd see the real her, we'd see her come to life a bit more, but that never really happened.

Family and loyalty are quite a big part of this book, the more time she spends away from the Tribe we begin to see the consequences of her actions. When the Englanders do arrive and begin to show them their ways Tik Tok asks for her help with the tribe but leaves the matter when he see's that Tiger lily doesn't really want to, reassuring her that he has faith the village will right itself in its own time. The biggest show of loyalty is Tinkerbell. The story is told through her POV which was unexpected, because of this we also learn about fairy lore and natures. Even though Tiger Lily doesn't talk to or acknowledge the fairy, Tink remains with her, following and looking out for her.

Telling this story via Tink was the smartest move, we see not only Tiger Lily but we see Peter and the Lost boys in their den and learn so much more about the pirates. Who they once were and their true colours. This book is definitely worth a read, what it lacks in general plot Anderson makes up for it in originality.
Happy reading.
xx
review 2015-02-09 14:50
.The Austere Academy Book Review.
The Austere Academy - Lemony Snicket

The next port of call is Prufrock Preparatory School with its wonderful motto "Memento Mori". Remember you will Die.

For me this is definitely the turning point of the books, we meet triplets Isadora and Duncan Quagmire, who tragically lost their brother Quigley and parents in a fire. Sound familiar? Not only that but they are heir to fortune of their own. This is where the true plot starts to come together, although nothing really happens we are fed small things, like Quagmires and V.F.D. These three letters will become the most important part to the series.

The Quagmires are just like the Baudelaires, their smart and resourceful and after a short time of knowing them are willing to put themselves in danger to help them. In true story telling fashion the Quagmires discover something important about Count Olaf and the fire that changed their lives but never get to share it with them. In this book Olaf disguises himself as P.E teacher and gets the three siblings to run countless number of laps as part of his S.O.R.E programme. And that's all he does, he doesn't try and kidnap them in the dark of the night when he's got them alone, just run circles.

As usual you have your standard collection of characters: self absorbed Vice Principle Nero who makes up some absurd rules, teachers Mrs Bass and Mr Remona who have no business teaching and vile Carmelita Sprats. Isadora and Duncan feel like a breath of fresh air, someone the children can actually trust and talk to. Someone who believes them when they say Olaf had found them and is up to no good.
This book definitely gives off the vibe of bigger things to come.
Happy reading.