logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2015-to-read
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-05-21 11:19
Review: “The Lightning-Struck Heart” (Tales From Verania, #1) by TJ Klune
The Lightning-Struck Heart - T.J. Klune

~ 5 STARS ~

review 2018-05-04 00:24
Introducing Mr. Winterbourne
Introducing Mr. Winterbourne - Joanna Chambers

I read this as part of the Another Place in Time anthology that was released a few years back. Here's what I said about it then:

This was fun. Yes, this all happens in a day and usually that annoys me, but it doesn't here. I didn't see it as insta-love, not even really insta-like, since Winterbourne and Freeman had to get over their preconceptions of each other before they could start getting along. It was fun seeing them realize they're not so different after all.

review 2018-02-08 21:04
Was Bogie Here – Blood Rain in Trieste by George Henry @georgehenry47
Blood Rain in Trieste (Volume 1) - George Henry

Blood Rain in Trieste by George Henry made me think of Casblanca and Humphrey Bogart. I wonder…did Bogie ever visit Trieste, Italy?

Blood Rain in Trieste

MY REVIEW

Sounds like shades of Casablanca and Bogie made a trip to Trieste, Italy and ran into Hawaii Five-O.

Milo Marchetta is a musician, a club owner…in walks a dame, only this one wants to hire him to commit a murder.

Mobsters, hookers, money laundering, murder and bullies. What more could you ask for? Small men acting big. Walking a line between life and death. The characters are not prim and proper. I love flawed characters, but these characters are past flawed. They are desperate, twisted individuals, the dregs of humanity.

Milo has a big mouth and a penchant for putting his foot in it, or should I say someone else’s foot. Flawed…he is twisted, broken. As he gets his ass and a bunch of other things kicked…I can’t help but laugh. Even when he tries to do something good it craps on him. He’s so friggin’ damaged I don’t know how he’s still alive.

Forbidden love…the ultimate price…death.

There is so much going on, double cross, triple cross, revenge, betrayal, murder…don’t look away. You might miss something.

This was heavy, slow reading for me. It felt like work, like I was studying for school. Normally, this would be right up my alley, so I wonder, was I having an off day? You’ll need to judge for yourself.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 3 Stars

Read more here.

review 2018-01-25 20:32
Monday Mini – Surgical by Geoffrey Germann #GeoffreyGermann
Surgical - Geoffrey Germann

I had reviewed the first book, Prepare, in this superhero series and loved it (see it here), so when Geoffrey Germann sent me Surgical, Book II, I was eager to read more about the superhero, Darren Kiel.

Surgical

MY REVIEW

Terror from the opening pages.

Darren Kiel is a vigilante, a super hero. Who doesn’t love someone who works undercover saving those unable to save themselves, never needing or wanting credit or acknowledgement?

Darren is an introvert and has been alone for so long, he is craving interaction with another human. He works in disguise so only has fleeting contact and can never let anyone know who he really is. After 200 days a man could lose his mind.

Until…

He becomes part of a superhero, scifi team: Darren has the suit, Faye has the cloak, Walter is the brains and the means, Brigham is the gopher, and Ives is the techie, the inventor. The characters are unique individuals, well developed, flaws and all. I would love to be a part of their team.

It makes me wonder what super heroes are lurking in our world, invisible to us. Could it be your next door neighbor?

The technology is very realistic and who knows what the government keeps secret from us. Maybe some of it is being used today?

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Surgical by Geoffrey Germann.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 5 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

The leader of a lynchpin Eastern Bloc nation has been increasingly erratic, belligerent, destabilizing the entire region. On the cusp of reversing the personal campaign that is destined to bring war, he is assassinated. His death comes with no warning, draws no blood, and leaves no trace; a puppet with its strings cut.

A new assassin, a new terrorist, can kill anyone, anywhere, anytime. He is undetectable, untraceable, unstoppable. He will bring governments, nations, and continents to their knees one leader at a time.

His next target is Walter Rocaena.

To fight this enemy Walter will need extraordinary help, but he hasn’t seen Darren Kiel in over a year. Can Walter find him in time and, even if he does, how can anyone stop an assassin that can kill with a thought without ever being near the target?

Even if it is possible, can they do it before civilization itself unravels?

• Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/monday-mini-surgical-by-geoffrey-germann-geoffreygermann
review 2018-01-19 21:41
The Undead Walk Among US in Cloak of Deceit by Gwen Mitchell @Gwen_Mitchell
Cloak of Deceit: An Urban Fantasy Romance (Alex Moore Book 1) - Gwen Mitchell

I received Cloak of Deceit from Gwen Mitchell some time ago and it got lost in the review pile. This year, I aim to catch up on every review owed, regardless of how long it has been.

Cloak of Deceit (Alex Moore, #1)

MY REVIEW

Alex Moore is a college senior and her whole life had been planned out. Until now.

Her boyfriend broke the rules of the vampire society when he created her and now she is not only a vampire, she is a psychic and has telekinetic powers.  The voices inside her head are the hive, a group of psychics called Gregori. But she is more than that.

She is an impossibility. She is a Gregori, a sworn enemy of the Undead, even though she is one of the Undead also.

I went through the painful, horrifying transformation with her. I heard the voices calling. I ran with her, though it was only in our minds.

Whether she was a violation of the law or a walking bull’s eye, it didn’t matter. Either way she was in deep danger. They all want her dead.

There would be no escape. Without Julian, a Knight of the Cloak, a sexy Undead enforcer, she didn’t stand a chance. Would he stand beside her?

When she talked of drinking the blood and the thickness coating her throat, it almost made me gag.

Tomato juice + cow’s blood = newbie cocktail

I enjoyed this vampire romance novel. Gwen Mitchell did an excellent job with descriptions and details of the fights and emotions of the characters. I loved and hated them and what more can I ask for.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Cloak of Deceit by Gwen Mitchell.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 3 Stars

Read more here.

• Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/the-undead-walk-among-us-in-cloak-of-deceit-by-gwen-mitchell-gwen_mitchell