logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2015
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-21 02:58
Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin #1)
Widdershins - Jordan L. Hawk

Reread review 1/20/19:

No wonder I couldn't remember some of this. I read it three and-a-half years ago! ;) Time flies.

Whyborne and Griffin are the best. <3 I really enjoyed revisiting them at the start of their relationship, and seeing how much they've both changed and grown in confidence and strength since this first outing. Whyborne's so used to abuse and bullying that just Griffin being nice to him is enough to endear Griffin to him. And Griffin is so used to being abandoned that Whyborne sticking by him in times of trouble is enough to make its own impression. They're exactly what the other needed. <3

Christine's as great as ever. I still think making Ms. Parkhurst

fall for Persephone is a retcon. She's clearly crushing on Whyborne this whole time, but suddenly she's into a squid monster. Ooookay. Sure.

(spoiler show)

I'm going to try to be more open-minded about Niles, since as of book 10 I still have reservations about him. He was somewhat less awful here than I remembered him being - though he's still plenty awful, no question.

Original review 6/7/15:

I held out on delving into this series for the longest time, because historicals, especially in M/M are almost never done to my liking. They're too contemporary, or they're costume dramas, or they've got the sickly waif, or what have you. I've really only enjoyed Tamara Allen's works because she gets into the mindset of the time and doesn't try to modernize them. Ms. Hawk doesn't quite come up to that standard, but she comes incredibly close. The characters sound like they're from the turn of the century, more or less. They don't go gaga over the dress of the times; there is no more attention paid to anyone's garb than there would be in a contemporary fiction. So I liked this book just for that right from the start.

Then the plot starting picking up. Historical AND paranormal? Two genres I'm usually picky about. I'm trying to get into shifters, but so far I've only read THIRDS and that fell flat. Vampires? Even if I hadn't had my fill with Anne Rice in high school and with Buffy/Angel right after that, I do believe Edward Cullen has ruined the genre for the rest of humanity and all of time. Harry Dresden works for me because it's from the POV of someone working to oppose those forces and it doesn't get overly angsty, and that's more or less what Ms. Hawk does here as well. There is some angst, thanks to that Big Misunderstanding, but I wasn't bothered by it because of the way it was resolved. The paranormal element takes front and center, and I liked seeing Whyborne struggle to understand it and resist its lure. I thought the family conflict was resolved a bit too neatly, but I'm willing to see if it's resolved for good or just put on hold due to traumatic circumstances.

I really enjoyed Whyborne and Griffin. They're not as cut and dry as they appear to be. They both have past struggles to contend with and past regrets that haunt them, but they're a good match for each other. You could see Whyborne slowly growing more confident in himself as the book progressed. Griffin too gets some development, but as the story is told through Whyborne's POV, we only get to see it secondhand, but we do get to see it and experience it. Then there's Christine, who in my mind looks and acts much like Marvel's Agent Carter. She's the perfect woman and I hope she becomes a regular character and a part of their team.

There were a few typos, words repeating where they should have been edited out (no, not the stutters), and a couple of other minor instances but nothing overly glaring. There was just the right amount of sex, at least for me. And while this isn't quite instalove, they do fall for each other fairly quickly if you pay attention to the timeline. Still, with the focus being primarily on the investigation, that didn't bother me all that much. I'm much more forgiving of that trope when the characters are able to get over themselves and focus on the actual plot instead of getting sidetracked constantly by feels and horniness. Not that there isn't some sidetracking, but it's not on every single page and they're able to act like mature adults.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. I can see myself becoming a fan of this series if they continue to hold up to the standard set by this one. Plus, Widdershins sounds like a place that can get Hellmouthy, so I'm looking forward to what their future adventures might entail.

review 2019-01-12 04:38
Um, yes, please more!
Clean Room (2015-2017) Vol. 1: Immaculate Conception - Gail Simone

Luckily volume two is on Comixology Unlimited. I held off because I wasn't sure I'd like the concept of this story, but it's Simone.   It's weird, and a slow, creeping panic of a horror tale.   More than that, it's utterly effective.

I was completely creeped out and paranoid by the end of this, and add in little twists in the characters, I was feeling for them and frightened for them.   It's about the characters, and it's about something much larger than any single character at the same time.

I will continue, but maybe not just right now?  I think I need a couple days to recover.

review 2019-01-10 19:11
A Kidnapping & A Conspiracy – 3 Lies by Helen Hanson @HelenHanson
3 Lies - Helen Hanson

Creepy cover for 3 Lies by Helen Handson, don’t you think? How would you like to run into him in a dark alley?

Cover:  Domino Ink

3 Lies (Masters CIA Thriller, #1)

Amazon  /  Audiobook  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Clint noticed the old van because it sounded like a sports car. He is on his way to Beth’s house.Beth is the love of his love. When he get there, she is nowhere to be seen. Where is she? Who has her? Do they know she does her own dialysis? Would they even care?

She has been kidnapped, ransomed for money.

An unrecognized code brought an alert to the CIA. No one could imagine how bad it was.

WTF is going on? And who’s behind it?

As Clint goes about his business, not knowing what to think of Beth’s absence, I want to scream and yell at him. What are you doing going fishing? CHECK IT OUT!

Helen Hanson has located this fabulous thriller on the coast of Massachusetts. I love when I am familiar with a story’s location. Adds that little bit of reality to the fiction. And I do love a good conspiracy, with Helen supplied in spades. Then add the dialysis Beth requires which makes the characters ring true. Wonderful job on 3 Lies Helen and I look forward to finishing the series.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

READ MORE HERE

MY HELEN HANSON REVIEW

The Master’s Key

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product imgaes are linked.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/a-kidnapping-a-conspiracy-3-lies-by-helen-hanson-helenhanson
review 2019-01-05 17:47
The fact that Wade and Gabby are described as best friends?
All-New Wolverine (2015-2018) #31 - Tom Taylor,Marco Failla,David Lopez

That is just the best.   And even better is watching them do best friend things together: infiltrate the lab where Gabby's pet wolverine was experimented on, face down the horrors of animal testing and what comes from that, and then burning that all down to the ground.

Fun times.   If you're Honey Badger and Deadpool.

And seriously?  I didn't follow this series, so I didn't realize that Gabby was Honey Badger. Sighs.   I'm not sure I'm okay with that name, but Gabby herself remains awesome.

review 2019-01-05 17:38
Fantastic finale
Spider-Gwen (2015-2018) #34 - Jason Latour,Robbi Rodriguez

I'm glad I held off until after I read the first storyline in the next series, actually.   It was less sad knowing that something fabulous came after this, although I usually am a stickler for reading things in order!

Beautiful, heart felt, and I have to admit I miss the art.   The art for the new series is wonderful, too, but this still feels more evocative to me and I absolutely think this artist is my favorite Spider-Gwen artist.