logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2016-read
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-04-19 20:27
Saving The Snow Leopards in The Killing Game by Toni Anderson @ toniannanderson
The Killing Game - Toni Anderson

I love the cover below for The Killing Game by Toni Anderson. I have seen a lot of covers done by Demonza and they do a great job!

The Killing Game

Amazon Goodreads

MONDAY MINI REVIEW

I love thriller/suspense novels and Toni Anderson is a must read author for me…then add a wildlife biologist wanting to save the snow leopards…YAY!

What do a British SAS agent, a wildlife biologist and a Russian terrorist have in common? Snow leopards. One wants to save them, one wants to kill them, and the other is caught in the middle.

I love everything about the book, The characters, both good and bad, they all have their part to play. The location and the objective, who wouldn’t want to travel to Afghanistan on a mission to save something as beautiful and endangered as the snow leopard?

Toni Anderson writes some fantastic tales filled with danger, and this is another one I am happy to have traveled through. Keep up the great work and “I’ll be back” for more!

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  5 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

Wildlife biologist Axelle Dehn isn’t about to let anyone harm her endangered snow leopards—not the poacher intent on killing them, nor the soldier who wants to use them as bait. But Axelle is unknowingly entangled in a conflict that stretches back three decades, a conflict that could spark a war between two of the world’s great nations.

​British SAS soldier, Ty Dempsey, is on a mission to hunt down an infamous Russian terrorist in a remote region of Afghanistan. Dempsey hasn’t failed a mission yet, but when Axelle is kidnapped by the Russian, he is forced to choose between duty and his heart. He risks everything to save the determined, prickly woman he’s fallen for, but in doing so sparks a deadly series of events that threaten to expose the most successful spy in history. A spy who will destroy anyone who gets in his way.

• Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/saving-the-snow-leopards-in-the-killing-game-by-toni-anderson-toniannanderson
review 2018-04-16 18:24
What Is Your Meaning of Success – Climbing Maya by Ken La Salle @KenLaSalle
Climbing Maya - Ken La Salle

Climbing Maya

Amazon  /  Audible  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Ego can be one of our biggest downfalls, or at least it is for Ken.

In our youth, we feel all things are possible. Who do we end up disappointed? Do we expect too much? Some people accept the world as it is, others fight to change it. Some people go through life with a smile, others a frown. Which are you?

Some people turn to religion, philosophy, health and exercise. Whatever regimen allows us to cope.

What is success? It means something different to each of us. Does it take a major event… divorce, loss of a job…to make us reassess ourselves? Denial doesn’t stop things from happening and challenging your boss won’t save your job.

I wondered about the title…Climbing Maya..and it is one man’s search for success. Why do people climb mountains? Is there only one answer? My mind is spinning, yet I have my answer…am I content with my life? Yes. I have many of the things I dreamt of and more. I am content and happy to be able to do the things I love in life and have someone to share them with.

I can relate to Vicky and her ‘support’ of her man. She sounds a lot like me. And…yo dude…I am glad you figured it out and moved on.

One man’s journey for the meaning of success opens his eyes to what is truly valuable and meaningful in his world and isn’t that how it should be?

Climbing Maya by Ken La Salle is a thought provoking book that may keep you up at night as you ponder what is your meaning to success.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Climbing Maya by Ken La Salle.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

READ MORE HERE

MY KEN LA SALLE REVIEWS

• If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gifLook on the right sidebar and let’ talk.
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting fundinmental!
review 2018-02-25 15:55
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
Spin - Robert Charles Wilson

Series: Spin #1

I changed my mind. Three stars feels a little too generous for this so I'm going with 2.5.

It's a great concept and wanting to find out what had happened kept me reading. Basically, one night all the stars go out and humanity discovers the entire planet has been enveloped in a weird opaque (-ish) membrane that has a simulated sun but doesn't actually let anyone see through it. And somehow Earth's perception of time has slowed way down with respect to the rest of the solar system. So Wilson invokes crazy physics in an interesting way because the general consensus is that some alien race has done this...for reasons.

So I really wanted to found out more about these "Hypotheticals" (the aliens) and what they had done to the Earth, but I struggled to get through the book because I didn't actually like any of the characters. Tyler was tiresome, Jason was your sort of typical nerd genius, I got tired of E. D., the abusive father (verbal and mental abuse, not physical) real fast, and I had zero patience for Diane's desire to ruin her life by running off to find religion and marry a controlling husband. Tyler's thing for Diane was more pathetic than romantic, and some of what I would have found way more interesting (the stuff that was happening to Jason) got glossed over near the end because Tyler just wasn't around for most of it.

I know Wilson already played the crazy physics card with the Spin membrane but I just couldn't suspend my disbelief very well for the Mars terraforming plan. Mars is just too small for that to work, especially over that kind of time scale. Seriously, you'd lose all the "atmosphere" you liberated unless you repeatedly crashed comets into it, and even then....

But I did want to keep reading, which why I debated between 3 and 2.5 stars.

Previous updates:

5 %

review 2018-01-25 19:57
One Sentence Review – The Cursed Canoe by Frankie Bow @Frankie_Bow
The Cursed Canoe - Frankie Bow

Anyone up for a cozy mystery? Watch out for The Cursed Canoe by Frankie Bow.

I love this fun cover and couldn’t say no to it.

The Cursed Canoe (Professor Molly Mysteries, #2)

Goodreads  /  Amazon

MY REVIEW

The Cursed Canoe by Frankie Bow had some good writing and interesting characters, but I wanted more of the mystery and what saved the story for me is that I didn’t guess the ending, which is a huge plus for me, a very good thing.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The Cursed Canoe by Frankie Bow.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 3 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

Professor Molly Barda investigates a mysterious paddling accident near Hawaii’s Mahina State University, and realizes it isn’t just business majors who cheat to get what they want. Whether it’s moving up in the college rankings, getting a seat in the big canoe race, or just looking out for themselves, some people will do whatever it takes-including murder.

My Black Thumb Review

• Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/one-sentence-review-cursed-canoe-frankie-bow-frankie_bow
review 2018-01-19 21:09
Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins @pameloth
Saving Grace (Katie & Annalise #1) - Pamela Fagan Hutchins

I am a cover girl and when I saw the cover for Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins, I had to have it. I love anything to do with water and this one is a beauty. What do you think?

Cover by Heidi Dorey

Saving Grace (What Doesn't Kill You, #1)

Goodreads  /  Amazon

MY REVIEW

I love the cover and the location, the Virgin Islands, for Pamela Fagan Hutchins’ Saving Grace. It was all I hoped it would be.

I was relating to Katie quickly, wrapping her napkin neatly around her beer, playing pool and winning, but that’s where the similarities ended. I don’t drink and text and neither should she. I find it terrible that a lawyer would act like she did, especially in a room with all her coworkers. She acts like an obsessively love struck teenager.

The beginning is abrupt and I was thrown right into the story and I don’t much like Katie right now. But, let’s see if there is a reason for her being so out of control and sophomoric.

The name dropping got a bit annoying…Dennis the Menace, Bon Jovi, Direct TV, iPhone, Ihop, Hooters, Vaio, Dell, Blackberry…you get the drift.

An intervention sent her to St Marcos in her quest to solve the mystery of her parents death and get her act together. Enter Ava, who in her way introduced Katie to Annalise, Hebrew for Grace, an abandoned mansion that spoke to Katie. Now Pamela has my attention! Who…or what… is really doing the talking?

Katie loved walking on the beach and it cleared her mind. Now, we’re getting together.

Oh man, guess it had to happen, but I’m disappointed how her trip ended. I have a feeling that will change. It was just getting good for me, but I feel there is a lot more to come.

When the news came over the phone after one of the worst days of her life, I got super excited too. My heart beat faster, a smile came to my face, and I began racing through the pages. Oh yeah, now we’re cooking with Caribbean heat.

She got a pick up with a lift kit and cruised off to her new life. I want to be there!! I love to bury my feet in the sand and I have enjoyed a PainKiller or two.

I’m afraid for her and her friends. In the islands anything can happen. The suspense is mounting, the tension building. I can feel it. I see it coming. Does she?

I didn’t like Katie’s whining and sniveling for the longest time, but her growth and development, her willingness to see herself as she really was and make changes, made me like her more and more.

Now…after thinking I wasn’t going to like this so much…I find myself hating for it to end and wanting more.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars