logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2016
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-24 14:54
How to Save Money on College
Cracking the AP Chemistry Exam, 2016 Edition (College Test Preparation) - Princeton Review

I am trying to do as much AP work with my homeschool crew as possible to help them save money on college. I borrowed this book because I wanted to see how it breaks down. It is interesting as it shows explanations for answers and the girls know how to research and can find more if they have questions, or I can help them find the answers. I do think this will make our list of books for school.

review 2017-06-24 03:43
Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet (1-4)
Black Panther (2016-) #2 - Ta-Nehisi Coates,Brian Stelfreeze
Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet Book 1 - Ta-Nehisi Coates,Brian Stelfreeze
Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet Vol. 3 (Black Panther (2016-)) - Brian Stelfreeze,Ta-Nehisi Coates
Black Panther #4 - Ta-Nehisi Coates,Bria... Black Panther #4 - Ta-Nehisi Coates,Brian Stelfreeze

I read this comic book series for my graphic novel class. I went into it knowing nothing about the Black Panther except having seen him in an Avenger's movie I think. I found this series of comic books more than a bit confusing. So many characters to keep track of and so many story lines that I didn't really understand. But, the main story is good, and if you know the backstory, maybe it will be easier to follow and understand.

review 2017-06-22 21:00
Kinda loving this series
Supergirl (2016-) Vol. 1: Reign of the Cyborg Supermen - Steve Orlando,Brian Ching,Emanuela Lupacchino

I knocked down one half star for the art - which was actually quite good technically, but the style didn't match the story for me - and I knocked down one half star for trying to incorporate issues from the TV show.   (A TV tie-in would work far better for that, and some of the ways that, say, Cat Grant was in this book?   Just felt forced.)   And while Cat is a character from the comics, so legitimately could be part of this without feeling like it's from the show, she's a doplleganger for the Cat on the show.   (And again, I don't blame DC for trying to capitalize on the success of the show, but I'd rather have a tie-in.   This Supergirl is a teenager - and a young adult on the show - is probably what makes Cat's appearance feel so forced.)

Still, making Supergirl a teen is a good way to deal with the alienation and anxiety and angst that comes with getting through those awkward, awkward years.   And this takes full advantage of Kara being a Kryptonian, adding another level to that sense.   Cyborg Superman is chilling in this volume, brining Kara part of her home - at an unbearable price.   It pits the family she's born into against the family that raises her on Earth, asking for even more unbearable choices to be made.

And overall, that was kept me rapt, and makes me want to read more of this series.   The tension kept ratcheting up, the pacing just divine, and while I do think there are minor, minor flaws, it's not enough to keep me from reading more or from enthusiastically recommending this series.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-06-21 22:44
Book Review : Us Sarina Bowen & Elle Kennedy
Us - Elle Kennedy,Sarina Bowen

June 16-18

Can your favorite hockey players finish their first season together undefeated?

Five months in, NHL forward Ryan Wesley is having a record-breaking rookie season. He’s living his dream of playing pro hockey and coming home every night to the man he loves—Jamie Canning, his longtime best friend turned boyfriend. There’s just one problem: the most important relationship of his life is one he needs to keep hidden, or else face a media storm that will eclipse his success on the ice.

Jamie loves Wes. He really, truly does. But hiding sucks. It’s not the life Jamie envisioned for himself, and the strain of keeping their secret is taking its toll. It doesn’t help that his new job isn’t going as smoothly as he’d hoped, but he knows he can power through it as long as he has Wes. At least apartment 10B is their retreat, where they can always be themselves.

Or can they?

When Wes’s nosiest teammate moves in upstairs, the threads of their carefully woven lie begin to unravel. With the outside world determined to take its best shot at them, can Wes and Jamie develop major-league relationship skills on the fly?

Review : I loved this series it was cute and sexy Wes is starting being a hockey player as a rookie so him and Jamie have to hide there Relationship but Jamie is unhappy with it and Wes's teammate blake moves in next door I love Blake he's loud and funny . I love Wes and Jamie's relationship they love each other . Jamie loves his Job except one bigoted guy . Then Jamie gets really sick and Wes and Jamie's relationship is out and Jamie is depressed and Jamie and Wes are barley speaking and Jamie is sick of being babied and doesn't want anyone's help and he ends up going to califorina to spend time with his family and Wes is worried and he does an interview and the interviewer asks if he wants to get married and Wes said he would marry Jamie any day and Jamie goes to Wes and he proposes I'm so happy for them and they I loved these books .

Quotes : I brought you a cappuccino.” “You make it difficult to hate you,” I mumble into the pillow. “That’s what everyone says.”

I care more that they want to charge me eight hundred bucks. So I wrote an email to both travel and PR telling them to bill Blake because his fat ass broke it. And you’ll never guess what they said.” He snickers. “The clubhouse will pay for it because they don’t want the hotel to have a record of a third dude in that room. You and I are fine by the PR department. But gossip of a threesome is more than they can handle.”

One by one, even after the main courses arrive, every single player leaves the room, returning in The Shirt. I keep drinking, getting happier and sloppier with every sip of wine. They even got one for Jamie. He’s the last to leave and return wearing citrusy green and a big smile. “Now we need the picture,” he says. “I’ve asked the waiter to take it.” And that’s how Canning and I came to have a big framed photo on our living room wall featuring the entire Toronto team dressed in very loud gingham. I swear the color rendered a little bolder in print than it looks in real life, because this photo is kind of blinding. But Jamie snickers whenever I suggest that. But there we are, two dozen grins stained red from the wine, waving at the camera like idiots. Blake is in the back row, his napkin tied around his head like a bandana. I have a hand on Jamie’s shoulder right in the center of the shot.

And I look…centered. It’s not a word I’ve ever used to describe myself before. But everything I ever wanted is in that photo—the man of my dreams, and my teammates. I’ve left my smug smile behind in favor of one that’s so shiny I hardly recognize myself. But it’s me up there for sure. It’s us. And it’s perfect.

The way I feel about Ryan Wesley…it’s something I thought existed only in the movies. He’s my other half. We complement each other in more ways than I can count. When he’s in the same room, I’m focused on him, and when he’s gone I walk around missing him. There’s an old quote my mother once painted on a ceramic platter. Love is friendship set on fire. I get it now.

get the feeling that Blake Riley could carry on an entire conversation with himself.

“I miss the tongue ring,” I tell him breathlessly. He’d taken out the piercing at the start of the season. I guess the team didn’t think it was safe. “Don’t you worry,” Wes teases. “I can still rock your world without it.”

Lucky? I’m about ten seconds from committing a murder. Except I know that giant body wouldn’t fit into the hallway chute

are we talking literal place? Are you at an S&M club right now? Did you join the circus?” I roll my eyes. “Yes, Jessica, we joined the circus. Wes trains seals and I ride the bears. We bunk with the bearded lady and the guy who swallows swords.” “Is that a gay euphemism? Swallowing swords?”

“Probably shouldna opened all those drawers,” Blake carries on, rubbing his chin. “Ya can’t unsee some of those toys. But everybody has to have his own kinda fun.

“I have a sex look?” I ask instead. “Yeah. Your eyes go a little out of focus, and your tongue hangs out a little.” I snort into his armpit. “Sounds sexy.”

It’s Jamie. I’d marry him in a hot second, and I’m sure he knows it.”

We are children. Overgrown, testosterone-filled children.

“Ring,” I croak. “You…I…” My mouth is like sandpaper. “In that interview, you said you wanted…” Deep breaths. “To get married some day. And I think that’s something we should do.”

we decide we want to have kids someday, there are ways for us to do that, babe. Adoption. Surrogates.” I lightly pinch his ass. “Stop acting like you’re dooming me to a life of childless misery.”

review 2017-06-20 22:31
Well, that was surprising
Suicide Squad (2016-) #19 - Rob Williams,Tomeu Morey,Tony Daniel,Sandu Florea,Neil Edwards

I'm never sure what's going to happen with this, and, damn, it keeps surprising me.   Waller should have known better than to mess around with a Kryptonian like Zod, but, well...   She didn't.   She thought she could control people that she couldn't, and what surprises me most is her reaction to her abject failure.

I actually suspected Flag would do what he would, and I'd considered Harley's reaction if he did.   (Her reaction may be the least surprising thing about this issue.)

I'm loving these characters, this team, and the stories that are being told.  I'm loving the stories that are being told.