logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2016
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-24 22:10
The Fire Child by S.K. Tremayne
The Fire Child by S. K. Tremayne (2016-06-16) - S.K. Tremayne

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I liked this book quite a bit. This turned out to be quite the page turner and I ended up liking it even more than The Ice Twins. This was a book that I never knew quite what might happen next. I ended up reading this whole book in a little more than 24 hours because I had such a hard time putting it down. I am very glad that I decided to pick this book up.

The story opens with Rachel and David as newlyweds at his family home, Carnhallow House. Rachel is now the step-mother to David's son, Jamie, whose mother has recently died. It is a huge adjustment for Rachel and the day to day task of caring for Jamie falls largely to her since David is away during most of the week for work. Jamie is still grieving the loss of his mother and it is showing in some of his actions. Rachel starts to wonder about what really happened to Jamie's mother and starts asking a lot of questions.

I thought this book had a whole lot going for it. It went in directions that I would have never imagined and I love being taken by surprise with this kind of book. The pacing was perfectly done with enough action to really keep the pages turning. Jamie was one of the creepiest kids that I remember reading about in a book which was a big plus. Add in the old house and the mining tunnels running all over the place and there is a whole lot of creepy in this story. I never really knew if I should trust Rachel. I think that Rachel's character was written in such a way that it was hard to tell if she was actually psychotic or if these things were really happening.

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of psychological thrillers. This was one of those books that made me wonder if any of the characters should be trusted but I had to keep reading to figure out what was real. This is the second book by S.K. Tremayne that I have read and I can't wait to read more.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Grand Central Publishing.

Initial Thoughts
I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I thought that the kid in this story was pretty creepy which I loved! The story took a lot of unexpected twists that kept me guessing.

review 2017-03-24 20:34
Undeniably one of the craziest books I ever read…
Illuminae - Jay Kristoff,Amie Kaufman

--Below is my review for this book in paperback format, I just listened to this in Audio format, and it was phenomenal, a full cast of characters for narration sets this apart from most audiobooks, if you've been thinking of trying an audiobook...get this one.  The only downfall is it could spoil you for regular audiobooks.

Book Title:  Illuminae

Author:  Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

Series:  Illuminae Files #1

Genre:  Science Fiction, Deep Space, YA

Source:  Own on Paperback

⇝Add to Goodreads⇜

♪♫My Picks For Book Theme Song♫♪

♫Here's to the Heartache by Nothing More  --It's spooky, it's like it was written to go with this book.♫  &

My Demons by Starset  --This is AIDAN'S song, for sure.  I believe that if they ever get around to making a movie for this, Starset could do the whole Soundtrack.♫

Ratings Breakdown

Flow:  4/5

Backdrop (World Building):  4/5

Originality:  5+++

Book Cover:  5/5

Ending:  5+++  Cliffhanger:  No, but you can tell it's not over yet…

Will I continue this series?  H*** Yes!!!

My Thoughts

If I explained this book in one word it would be:  Intense

Some other words would be…

Raw, Graphic, Gut-wrenching, Teeth-clenching, Nail-biting, Wonder, Awe, Interstellar, Lol, Fearful, Doubtful, Suspenseful, Thrilling, Movie-worthy, a-pain-in-the-ass-to-read-at-times, and ultimately Satisfying.

I read this in Paperback form, and I need to say, I really don't like reading actual books.  The print is too small for me see, even with my glasses on, unless I'm in direct sunlight.  I also had a kindle version from the library, that I read on whenever it was too dark for my paperback.  I'm glad I had both versions; it helped immensely.  For this book…you need to read it in hardcover or paperback.  Not all of the parts of it are easily read from a kindle.  This is so interesting that I'm contemplating using a Audible credit to buy the book in Audio version. Side-note--I did that

Sex Factor:  There is only talk of sexual situations, but this book is definitely older YA; because of the intensity of the graphicness.

review 2017-03-23 10:29
Science-Fiction at its best.
The Word Endangered (The Face of the Deep, Book 3) - Steve Rzasa

This was a fantastic read. I love classic science-fiction adventure (opera?) novels done well and this is a perfect example. Steve Rzasa's novels keep getting better and this is the best one yet in the series. I did not read Broken Sight which takes place prior to this story but I look forward to doing so.

Overall, the writing is excellent an awesome story and indepth plot-line that expands the created universe. I really hope this is not the end of this series. Such a unique concept for a series.

A must read!

review 2017-03-22 00:33
MASTERED BY HER CAPTOR by Opal Carew
Mastered by her Captor by Opal Carew (2016-06-21) - Opal Carew
  This has both the prequel and the novella of Kalie and Erik. Kalie's fantasy is to be kidnapped and at the mercy of her captors. She gets her fantasy but cannot let go of the one man, Erik. Erik's been burned before and wants to be left alone but Kalie will not let him. He decides to show her his darkest side.

I enjoyed this story. It is hot. I could feel the trepidation Kalie felt when she believed that Erik would not give them a chance. Her fear of losing Erik was real. She also knew if she lost him, she would lose herself. Erik had to come to terms with his past and the hurt he suffered. When he can do that his world expands and he can let Kalie into it.

I look forward to reading more of this series.
review 2017-03-19 01:27
So, so adorable!
Marvel Tsum Tsum (2016) #2 (of 4) - Jacob Chabot,David Baldeon,Chris Samnee

The second issue popped up on MU, so I decided to check it out since this promised Ultron.   And it was just as adorable as the first issue, although I enjoyed it more, because, well, Ultron!   And other assorted supervillains as well.

Fun, and while it's clear it's set in the Marvel Universe, this is more of a side story about kids who find the tsum tsum in a case meant for the collector.   Who is an obsessive dick and must have the one case out of a hundred million that he already has.   (That makes him obsessive, but if you saw how he treated the people responsible, yeah, dick.   True they were like, 'but a hundred million others so is this really that important?'   Which didn't help, but a gentle, but firm 'yes, I paid for it, I say it's important,' would have been less dickish.   But not at all like you, would it collector?)

Still, cute, makes sense in the world they're setting this in and how they're going about establishing this all is pure logic.  I'm taking is a possibly non-canon side-story and enjoying it for what it is, and that's making it all the more fun.