logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2016
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-19 01:39
Cybertron comes back to Earth
Transformers: Robots In Disguise (2011-2016) Vol. 7 - John Barber,Sarah Stone,Livio Ramondelli,Andrew Griffith,Casey Coller

At least, Optimus Prime and a small group of Autobots do.  I wasn't a big fan at first read, but I'm coming to appreciate just how brilliant a move this was: the focus stays on the Cybertronians, not the humans, and even then?   Thundercracker adopting a dog and becoming the worst screenwriter ever is just hilarious.

Somehow, even when he's mangling screenplays and writing in general, Thundercracker just wins me over.   Like completely over.

Loved this, and read it early on in the month, right before the Hugo packet hit.

review 2018-06-14 16:51
Map: Collected and Last Poems by Wislawa Szymborska
Map: Collected and Last Poems - Wisława Szymborska,Clare Cavanagh,Stanisław Barańczak

Map spans Polish Nobel laureate Szymborska's work from the 1940s up until 2011. Her poetry is immediately engaging, often funny, and down-to-earth. She writes about the smallest subjects (a cat alone in its owner's home) and the largest (mortality, time). She'd be an excellent poet to read if one is new to or intimidated by poetry.

The translation by Clare Cavanagh and Stanislaw Baranczak is impressive given that many of Szymborska's poems play with words and language, though, not knowing Polish myself, I can only give my impressions. I only know that a personable, curious voice comes through.

Here's a late poem (about this painting) whose beauty brought tears to my eyes:

Vermeer

So long as that woman from the Rijksmuseum

in painted quiet and concentration

keeps pouring milk day after day

from the pitcher to the bowl

the World hasn't earned

the world's end.

I can't remember what prompted me to finally read Szymborska's body of work beyond the occasional anthologized poem, but I'm glad I did. I asked for it last Christmas (I read poetry only in print and often ask for books of poems then; they can be expensive!), and I happened to flip to "Possibilities," written as a list of preferences, which contains the following lines: "I prefer the absurdity of writing poems / to the absurdity of not writing poems." Me too.

review 2018-05-03 18:21
So, that was finished
Avengers (2016-) #690 - Al Ewing,Mark Waid,Jim Zub,Pepe Larraz,Mark Brooks

Legacy numbers didn't last that long.   Marvel feels like it's really flailing.   They need to sit down, write good stories, and keep going with series for more than one year and a half, to be honest.

review 2018-05-03 18:18
Relief at the penultimate issue
Avengers (2016-) #689 - Al Ewing,Mark Waid,Jim Zub,Pepe Larraz,Mark Brooks

So, so close.

This was just way, way, way too long!

review 2018-05-03 18:08
Almost there
Avengers (2016-) #687 - Al Ewing,Mark Waid,Jim Zub,Paco Medina,Mark Brooks

Did Marvel really need to put this out once a week?   Nope, but they did anyway!