logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2016
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-24 11:43
This is how a short story should be done.
A Piece of Time - Traci Harding

This!

This is how a short story should be done. The story felt whole, the characters real and the conclusion satisfactory yet still ambiguous enough to leave questions.

Tani, our protagonist, made logical choices and decisions, even while dealing with the paranormal phenomenon in the story. It was so nice to see that logical thought pattern.

That the piece also focused on a pocket watch and tied it in so nicely, was an added bonus.

I saw no errors in this piece. An enjoyable read with a great cast of characters.

review 2017-04-24 11:14
Quite underwhelming...
Green but for a Season: A Captive Prince Short Story (Captive Prince Short Stories Book 1) - C.S. Pacat

So I loved the Captive Prince Trilogy, like really loved it. I was super excited to see there were short stories in the same world being released and bought this one and pre-ordered the second one 3 seconds apart.

BUT

I feel this short story was quite underwhelming.

The writing, as before, was a delightful mix of sweet tender moments, inner turmoil and the big bad world of Vere, but it was rehashing information we already knew from reading the trilogy. Yes, it delves a little deeper into Jord and Aimeric's relationship, but really it left me feeling underwhelmed and a little bored.

I will likely automatically buy anything CS Pacat puts out there, I love the Captive Prince Trilogy so much, but I hope the next few short stories in this end up being better than this one.

review 2017-04-23 23:45
The Flintstones (2016-) Vol. 1 - Mark Russell,Steve Pugh

Well, that wasn't what I was expecting. Rather than a funny look at stone age life a la the cartoon I remember as a child, I was faced with an interesting commentary on social issues.

PTSD in soldiers

Treatment of immigrant labour

Consumerism

(Gay) Marriage - Kudos for Fred standing up for the 'non-breeders' right to marry.

Government manipulating troops into attacking innocent tribes just to get their land.

Bullying politicians

It was darker than I thought it would be. I was grinning as I started, because Fred had to show a group of Neanderthals a night on the town and one of them had such joy at being in Bedrock. Everything was new and exciting to him and you could see the joy on his face as he skipped over to buy a balloon from a stand on the street and won himself a hat from a grabber machine. And then they killed him off on a whim from Fred's boss and the whole tone of the comic changed for me.

The artwork was bright and bold but the story was far from this and the humour was dark.

review 2017-04-20 01:25
Love!
The Punisher (2016-) #11 - Becky Cloonan,Matt Horak,Declan Shalvey

This series shows off how one-track minded Frank Castle is now that he's The Punisher.   Held prisoner on a boat, he's pitted against all the men in the criminal organization he's been tracking.

Look, it's not good for the poor boat.

He's determined to see the man responsible for all this death and grief brought to his own brand of justice, so getting a little beat up is nothing to him.   Love how true to the character this is, and how he just guts everyone who gets in his way.

review 2017-04-19 19:02
Loved it, But Still Had Problems With This One
Jessica Jones (2016-) #6 - Michael Gaydos,David Mack,Brian Michael Bendis

So in issue #6 we have Jessica Jones finally some would say turning against the mess that Carol Danvers has gotten her into. We do know that Jessica plans on exploring what she was told in the prior issue, which is that the super-heroes have purposely destroyed other realities in order to make sure the reality they all currently exist in stayed the main one.

We do have a swift end to some nonsense with someone who is out to get Carol and who never watched a movie before about what happens when the bad guy spills all of their plans.

There is some rhetoric thrown out about Carol helping Jessica with soothing Luke's anger at  her (seriously, does no one own a phone?) and then Jessica realizing that maybe she has given up way too much for such a little payoff (you think girl?).

The artwork and language made me smile since it made me think more of the Jessica Jones I saw on the Netflix show (that is a good thing). The first few issues felt off to me, and now I know why.

We get an appearance by Maria Hill and also seems to be in the dark about what Jessica has been up to and why and once again I just don't get the secrecy behind it.