logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2016
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-20 21:40
Uncle! - Lila Leigh Hunter

2.5 stars.

review 2017-10-19 16:17
Ghostly Review – The Haunting of Hotel La Belle by Sharon Buchbinder @sbuchbinder
The Haunting of Hotel LaBelle - Sharon Buchbinder

I love the beautiful cover for The Haunting of Hotel LaBelle by Sharon Buchbinder. I am always eager to pay a visit to a haunted place and this is the perfect time of year to do so. Come and in…if you dare.

Cover:  Rae Monet

The Haunting of Hotel LaBelle

Amazon US  /  Amazon UK  /  Amazon CA  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

The Haunting of Hotel LaBelle by Sharon Buchbinder starts me out with a laugh and I love that.

The story begins at Hotel LaBelle in 1905. Finally Lucius’ dreams came true. He’d worked hard, sacrificed much, including his love. He was ‘left’ with a curse from Mourning Dove’s powerful mother.

Present Day:  Tallulah was at the Hotel LaBelle to find out why the hotel’s renovations were being delayed. The outside looked like Hotel LaHelle. She hadn’t had a vision in a year and she wondered, “Why now?”

Enter Lucius:  who is neither alive nor dead. My thoughts are of a very unusual romance. Is it possible?

Both the living and the dead want her there, to fix what is broken, to save Hotel LaBelle.

The Native American mysticism adds that extra element that intrigues me, that takes this creatively written paranormal/supernatural read to a special place. I love haunted buildings and ghosts. Tallulah also has a dog, a pug. Any time a critter appears in a book I am reading, it adds a little spice to the story. The writing has a humorous side, along with the mystery, and all I can say is, “I want to return to Hotel LaBelle:”

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The Haunting of Hotel LaBelle by Sharon Buchbinder.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

Read more here.

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/ghostly-review-the-haunting-of-hotel-la-belle-by-sharon-buchbinder-sbuchbinder
review 2017-10-17 16:33
A beautiful cover for an amazing story...
The High King's Golden Tongue - Megan Derr

'The High King's Golden Tongue' started out as a story back in 2012 in the M/M Romance Groups 'Love is Always Write' event on GoodReads and I read the story way back when and then at some point for whatever reason I know not, nor do I really care, why the author made the decision to expand the story into a book. Initially I have to admit I was a little apprehensive because I was concerned that it would feel too repetitive and I'd get bored and end up not liking the story as much as I had but when I saw that it had gone from 41 pages to well over 200, 277 to be exact. I was confident this could not possibly be the case and thankfully I was not disappointed.

I love fantasy, it's one of my favorite genres but I am also really fussy about who I read in this genre. I've read a few fantasy novels over the past while and they've been good and I really enjoyed them but this book for me went way beyond 'it's been good and I really enjoyed it'. From the very first page...no wait from the cover because have you looked at that cover? It's gorgeous and such a perfect visual to this story and damn, did it ever do it's job. One look at that cover and I was drawn in and with each word I just wanted to go further and further into this story.

But I'm going to just take a minute here to chat about book covers because we all know book covers are important, oh we can say they don't matter. Hell, I've said it numerous times and maybe to some they don't but truth of the matter is that cover is the authors initial shot at grabbing the readers attention, of making not only a first impression but a lasting one and in that department this cover nailed it and then I started reading the book...

I loved the richness of the descriptions and the way the story just flowed. I am admittedly one of those people that can become easily bored with overly descriptive books...didn't happen. I was anything but bored my mind was busy painting pictures and creating visual images and rolling into production of the mental movie that a well crafted story can effortlessly bring to mind.

For me this story had it all. I found myself so enchanted with Prince Allen. Aside from the fact that he was obviously one smart dude. I mean seriously 14 languages? I always feel impressed with myself if I can keep a grasp on one...English, the one I'm suppose to know...now, back to Prince Allen and why I liked him.  I never felt that he was conceited or arrogant about his ridiculously impressive linguistic skills or his station in life as a prince. For me his viewpoint was simply realistic he spent years being taught these things and so to him it only made sense that he would know them and he was incredibly brave and determined, I loved how he treated everyone with courtesy and respect but at the same time he didn't come off as being a pushover or perfect. He had flaws and insecurities just like any normal person.

High King Sarrica was simply a larger than life character and I liked him. I liked that he had Lesto to keep him in check along with Rene. These two were the brothers of his deceased husband Nyal as well as Sarrica's friends and they were the type of friends who told him what he needed to hear which wasn't necessarily what he wanted to hear. Many of the humorous moments in the story came from conversations between Sarrica and Lesto and/or Rene.

The relationship that developed between Allen and Sarrica was to say the least extremely slow in happening but given the events of the story it would have seemed incredibly contrived for things to have moved any faster than they did in the romance department and if you're a fan of the sexy times...well you might be a little disappointed here because there's not much happening in that department until later in the book but all I can say is when it did finally happen my e-reader was smokin'.

Now, if you're a fan of stories that grab you, hold on to you and take you to places you've never been or could never imagine going to...you will not be disappointed with this story and if you've already read the short story trust me it's like the teaser for this book there is so much more to find out and if you still need more, as I apparently do well than you can scoot off to an e-book store in just a few days and get yourself even more when book #2 The Pirates of Fathoms Deep is released for sale in just 6 more sleeps ;)

review 2017-10-15 19:37
(Audiobook) The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington Irving

I've listened to this every year since I got it--four years now. Tom Mison is what makes this book for me. His narration is absolutely delightful.

review 2017-10-14 19:06
Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch (audiobook)
Foxglove Summer: PC Peter Grant, Book 5 - Ben Aaronovitch,Kobna Holdbrook-Smith

Series: Peter Grant/Rivers of London #5

Peter Grant travels to the country to help in the search for two missing girls. It was fun watching Peter completely out of his element, and the greater role that Beverly played in this way was a nice treat. Especially at the end.

I read this for the "Magical Realism" square for the Hollywood Bingo. It could also be used for the "In the dark, dark, woods", "Supernatural" and "Monsters" (unicorns) squares.