logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2017-reads
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-01-16 22:47
First re-read of the year
His at Night - Sherry Thomas

Still a four star read; and surprisingly enough, this time around I didn't hate Vere all that much! Guess I'm going to have to stop calling him 'the rat guy'. ;)

review 2018-01-09 14:30

Year Read:  2017

Publisher:
 Cyfarwydd Books

Source:  eARC (Author)

Content Rating:  Ages 4+ (Nothing Objectionable)

Release Date:  November 2017

I would like to thank the author Todd Strader for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have always loved reading books that deal with animals and when I got a free copy of “Rabbit’s Snow Day” from the author Todd Strader, I was really excited to check this book out since I love reading books about rabbits! “Rabbit’s Snow Day” which is written by Todd Strader along with artwork by Penny Collins is a truly cute story about how rabbits survive in the winter that children will definitely enjoy!

Basically, the plot of this book is about the rabbits trying to survive the winter and about how they try to stay out of the fox and the humans’ way while the winter is raging away and this is all told in a poetic narrative.

Wow! This book was a really cute read, especially if you love rabbits (like myself) and Todd Strader did a fantastic job at writing this book as the book is told in a poetic narrative that gives the book a unique and beautiful tone. I also loved the information that Todd Strader provided about rabbits at the end of the book as I wanted to learn more about rabbits in general and how they live in the wilderness and survive the dangers of the wilderness. Penny Collins’ artwork is gorgeous to look at as all the animals are drawn realistically, especially the rabbits themselves and I enjoyed seeing the winter atmosphere of the artwork as snow covers everything, from the ground to the trees, and all the snow covering up the pages give the artwork a beautiful and peaceful atmosphere.

Rabbit

The reason why I gave this book a four-star rating was because I felt that the story was a bit too short and I wanted a much longer story on the rabbits’ adventures during the winter season and their encounters with the fox and the humans. I also felt that a good majority of this book was focused more on giving out information about rabbits in general rather than focusing on giving us a story about the rabbits and their time spent surviving the winter season.

Overall, “Rabbit’s Snow Day” is a cute book for anyone who loves reading about rabbits and loves reading about winter as a whole. I would recommend this book to children ages four and up since there is nothing inappropriate in this book.

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Banner

review 2018-01-06 20:11
Halloween Carnival Volume 1
Halloween Carnival Volume 1 - Lisa Morton,Kevin Lucia,John Little,Brian James Freeman,Robert R. McCammon

*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*
A new series of Halloween short story collections from old and new authors alike. When I saw Robert McCammons name in the writer list, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. 'Strange Candy' is a stellar effort and manages to be both touching and a little creepy at the same time.
My favourite story was 'The Rage of Achilles', I haven't read Kevin Lucia before but was very impressed with his writing style. A grief stricken father attends the church of Father Ward to confess a crime he has not yet committed and tells of how he lost his family. This story was truly heart wrenching and really pulled you in emotionally. The stand out of the collection.
'Demon Air' was disappointing, it seemed like it was going to be a gory fun read but it fizzled out halfway through. Having heard such great things about the author I'm surprised at the quality of the story.
The next story was a nice enough read but incredibly cliched, 'La Hacienda de los Muertos'. Trick is an old tv star who is offered a role in Mexican horror movie. When he gets there he finds that some of the horror is true. I thought this was okay but everything gets solved a little too easily and quickly.
The last one of the collection was '#MakeHalloweenScaryAgain', a local author tries to use social media to revive Halloween and use it for self promotion, instead it sees a serial killer come out of the woodwork and take the hashtag literally. I quite enjoyed this one, not as much as the first two but I thought it was fun even though it was a little predictable.
Overall, I really enjoyed the collection, the first two stories make it worth while picking up this collection.

review 2017-12-30 21:43
Hybrids
Hybrids - Robert J. Sawyer

Meh.

I'm glad I can now say that I've completed the trilogy.

Hybrids had some good moments, but overall a flawed end to this story arc.

(almost 2.5 stars, but I'm feeling generous)

review 2017-12-26 22:55
Review: Warcross (Warcross #1) by Marie Lu
Warcross - Marie Lu

For the millions who log in every day, Warcross isn’t just a game—it’s a way of life. The obsession started ten years ago and its fan base now spans the globe, some eager to escape from reality and others hoping to make a profit. Struggling to make ends meet, teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty hunter, tracking down players who bet on the game illegally. But the bounty hunting world is a competitive one, and survival has not been easy. Needing to make some quick cash, Emika takes a risk and hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships—only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation.

Convinced she’s going to be arrested, Emika is shocked when instead she gets a call from the game’s creator, the elusive young billionaire Hideo Tanaka, with an irresistible offer. He needs a spy on the inside of this year’s tournament in order to uncover a security problem . . . and he wants Emika for the job. With no time to lose, Emika’s whisked off to Tokyo and thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she’s only dreamed of. But soon her investigation uncovers a sinister plot, with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire.

This is another book I bought because of all the hype surrounding it. And I’m happy to report the hype is well deserved.

I don’t think there is anything about this book that I did not like; I absolutely loved this book and everything about it.

The word building was phenomenal; the tech described in the book was just super realistic and easy to see in the mind’s eye. It was simple yet complex without being confusing.

I adored Emika, she was just so much fun to follow, she seemed real and down to earth with fairly mundane problems as she keeps getting trapped into that world. We get some romance and while it was easy to spot from the beginning I enjoyed it very much.

The plot is awesome and while you could see some things coming …. Or so I thought other things very much caught me by surprise.

I read this book pretty much in one sitting as it was hard to put down and kept you  begging for more. I cannot wait for the next   book to come out.

Overall, I really recommend this book as I, myself really loved it.

I rate it 5 ★