logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2017-reads
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-22 12:38
At Grave's End (Night Huntress #3) by Jeaniene Frost
At Grave's End - Jeaniene Frost

syns

It should be the best time of half-vampire Cat Crawfield’s life. With her undead lover Bones at her side, she’s successfully protected mortals from the rogue undead. But though Cat’s worn disguise after disguise to keep her true identity a secret from the brazen bloodsuckers, her cover’s finally been blown, placing her in terrible danger.

As if that wasn’t enough, a woman from Bones’s past is determined to bury him once and for all. Caught in the crosshairs of a vengeful vamp, yet determined to help Bones stop a lethal magic from being unleashed, Cat’s about to learn the true meaning of bad blood. And the tricks she’s learned as a special agent won’t help her. She will need to fully embrace her vampire instincts in order to save herself—and Bones—from a fate worse than the grave.

my though

This was a difficult book to review, just because there was so much going on and I really have no idea where to start.

First off this book also was an emotional roller-coaster, happy, excited, scared, sad, relieved, back to worried.

I thought Cat grows a lot in this book and finally comes to terms what she is and embraces it. While she had some truly weak moments, she was stronger than ever before. She showed what she can do and will do to protect those around her and avenge the people she loves. She showed her vampire site more and more and is becoming a vampire more than she realizes it. I think.

On a site not I really doubt that she can be the only one like her. I mean was there only ever one horny newly turned vampire?  I don’t think so, but oh well. Also if he dies a now, will she turn into a vampire without being turned? Be nice to know but I’m not in a hurry her being killed ….just yet.

In this book more things about her father come to light and things are being resolved more or less, but I really think that is not the end of if just yet.

Her mother in this book really surprised me. She also had some great comic relieve once in a while which was much needed, with this book being a bit darker than the last two

We learn more about Merches, and Ian and meet Vlad for the first time. I really love that him and Bones don’t like each other, since most of the world just seems to love Bones.

Also like that she has now trusted friends Denise and her husband, and that both of them know her and Bones “secret”.

Of course there is Cat’s team. I really love her team it is such a nice mix if people, that all balances each other out. Some I like more than others of course and then there is Tate …… I don’t know what to think of him…. One moment I love him and another I want to hurt him. He is There are also a bunch of changes in the team happening, again not really sure if I love them all. I have to see how it all plays out further to really judge it.

Bones, some big things are happening with him as well and I’m not sure how much I can say without spoiling it. But one think is for sure no matter what he will always be there for Cat and her family and do whatever it takes to protect her and them. No matter what the cost. He also can get pretty cruel, but we knew that and so does Cat but he has something he doesn’t want her to see and that kind of put a wedge between the two.

There is a lot of action, gore, suspense but also humor and romance happening.  But not all is sunshine and rainbows in the end and we lose some dear friends, not everyone makes it out alive and some were truly heartbreaking. Actually there are a few heartbreaking points in this book.

Overall I loved this book and can’t wait to see what is happening next, I rate this book 4 ½ ★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Actually, Justina, I didn't just ring you to chat about what an undead murderer I was...right, degenerate whore as well. Did I ever tell you my mum was one? No? Oh, blimey, I come from a long line of whores, in fact I called to give you the good news. I asked you daughter to marry me. Now, do you want me to call you Mum straightaway, or wait until after the wedding?”

***

“I’d gone heavy on the black eye makeup until raccoons and I could pass for cousins.”

***

“Wow,” Tate whispered. “They’re fucking right on the dance floor. ”

“I see that.” There was an edge to my words.

Dave gave me a sideways grin. “Juan will cry at being stuck in the van. If he were here, he’d be screaming 'Authenticity’s imperative!' and taking his pants down.”

***

“Killing your rival doesn’t guarantee happiness. Sometimes it ruins any chance you have of it instead. Memories of dead men hold far more power than the annoyances of living ones.”

***

“Nothing else mattered but right now. This instant, I’d become the person I’d always wanted to be. Strong. Fearless. Loyal. Someone even I could be proud of.”

Jeaniene Frost

Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series and the Broken Destiny series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends. Aside from writing, Jeaniene enjoys reading, poetry, watching movies with her husband, exploring old cemeteries, spelunking and traveling – by car. Airplanes, children, and cook books frighten her.

For information on Jeaniene's books, reading the first 20% of each book free, book trailers, deleted scenes, creature mythology, and more, please visit: www.jeanienefrost.com

Website *** Faceboook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/graves-end-night-huntress-3-jeaniene-frost
review 2017-03-21 17:52
The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow #1) by Rachel Morgan
The Faerie Guardian - Rachel Morgan

syns

Protecting humans from dangerous magical creatures is all in a day’s work for a faerie training to be a guardian. Seventeen-year-old Violet Fairdale knows this better than anyone—she’s about to become the best guardian the Guild has seen in years. That is, until a cute human boy who can somehow see through her faerie glamor follows her into the Fae realm. Now she’s broken Guild Law, a crime that could lead to her expulsion.

The last thing Vi wants to do is spend any more time with the boy who got her into this mess, but the Guild requires that she return Nate to his home and make him forget everything he’s discovered of the Fae realm. Easy, right? Not when you factor in evil faeries, long-lost family members, and inconvenient feelings of the romantic kind. Vi is about to find herself tangled up in a dangerous plot—and it’ll take all her training to get out alive.

my though

This was one of those book for me that I wasn’t sure if I like it or not. There were several things that I liked but also several things I disliked about the book. There was one part that made me continue read the book and later actually like it at the end. The book is very fast paced and super easy to read, I read it in a little over 5 hours and one sitting. I really enjoyed the world building and Creepy Hollow and most of the residents there. A few I’m not sure about and for good reason as it turns out in the end. It is really easy to get lost in the world of Creepy Hollow. I liked the concept of the Guild and it kind of reminded of Vampire Academy meets Shadow Hunters and I cannot wait to see and learn more about it. I was not a huge fan of Vi, she seemed a little immature at time even for YA. I also thought for someone who is on top of her class she gets her butt kicked way to many times. I know not all hero win and get the behinds kicked but it seemed to be happening to her way more plus like I said she is the top student and could have handled some of her situations a bit better. We also have her Insta-Love with Nate, which made no sense to me at all. Actually the entire Romance between them made very little sense and seemed a off. I could not at all relate to it. Nate, He seemed forced and while he was funny most of the time, sometimes it just seemed forced to me. There is a lot of backstory to him and yet we know almost nothing about him but I think we will learn a lot more in later books. The person I absolutely loved was Ryn, if not for him would have quit the book about 25% in. It is clear early on that there is some kind of history between him and Vi but it is not revealed until much later in the book… what and why. I think if the book would have concentrated more on the main story line instead of the romance part it could have been much better. But overall it was enjoyable. There are some big plot twists and which made it really good and made sure I will read the second book in the series. Overall it was a good read and I’m curious to see what happens next but I really hope Vi grows up a bit in future books.

I rate it 3★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Did you really think I wouldn’t look for you?” “Honestly? Yes. You seemed a little busy losing your tongue down someone else’s throat.”

***

“Whatever game you’re playing, you’re going to lose,” he whispers. “And I’ll be right there to rub your nose in it when it happens.” “Great. Well, at least I have something to look forward to.” I cross my arms. “Now why don’t you go parade your lack of dignity somewhere else?”

***

“I refuse to let you talk me into a make-out session in a dodgy, underground tunnel. I have standards, you know.”

Rachel Morgan

Rachel Morgan spent a good deal of her childhood living in a fantasy land of her own making, crafting endless stories of make-believe and occasionally writing some of them down. After completing a degree in genetics and discovering she still wasn’t grown-up enough for a ‘real’ job, she decided to return to those story worlds still spinning around her imagination. These days she spends much of her time immersed in fantasy land once more, writing fiction for young adults and those young at heart.

Rachel lives in Cape Town with her husband and three miniature dachshunds. She is the author of the bestselling Creepy Hollow series.

Website *** Facebook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/faerie-guardian-creepy-hollow-1-rachel-morgan
review 2017-03-18 20:25
A light romp that prompts some deep thinking
The Spaceship Next Door - Gene Doucette,Steve Carlson

The description on my BookLikes blog clearly states:

Terse and to the point!

No zombies. No vampires. No angels. No self-help. No horror.

Okay, so I broke my own rule. I read a book with zombies in it. I almost put it down when the zombies appeared but I was so entranced by the book that I decided to break my hard and fast rule. After all, I am already reading a book about aliens on earth and really up until now it has been a rather G-rated adventure.

It has been a long time since I have felt so compelled to want to copy a quote from an audio book. Now, I want to get my hands on a hard copy of this book so that I can find the few lines and pin them up on my computer to read every now and then. And , no, I am not going to quote them here when I do find them because that would be a spolier, a really big spoiler.

I'm giving this one 4 and half starts and throwing it into the "To be read again and again and again" pile. Even the narrator was marvelous.

review 2017-03-17 13:05
Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) by Leigh Bardugo
Crooked Kingdom: A Sequel to Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

syns

Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn't think they'd survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and left crippled by the kidnapping of a valuable team member, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz's cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city's dark and twisting streets―a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of magic in the Grisha world.

my though

The books starts pretty much where the last one left off. The crew is still recovering and shaken by the events at the end of book one.

I thought the last book was great but this one was epic.

I don’t want to say too much to not spoil it so I will make it a short review of this book.

Okay, like I said they are still recovering from the blow of the last book, but if you know Kaz from the last book you know that he has like five plans already made to get them back on track and the crew back together.

In this book we learn so much more about all the crew members, their past, their plans for the future, they hope and dreams and is a sad realty. Relationships are strengthened but there is always the question of who they can really trust. Who will betray them next? Which is a big part to each of them but also as a crew as a whole. Plus some people still fault others of the crew for the events that took place and are holding a pretty big grudge.

There are some big twists in the book, which I mostly loved. I loved the twists just maybe not the outcome.

There were some quite brutal scenes in this book that not only showed how far some crew member would go but also some of the things they have endured in their past. But to even it out there were also some pretty sweet moments in the book, as well some heartbreaking ones. I shed tears a few times throughout the book.

The end was epic and perfect (almost) for all the crew members. It was bittersweet and a little sad.

I know I will miss all the characters in this duology, It is hard to connect to some characters in books sometimes but to love every single one of them in one book or series is pretty freaking rare. And I did. I loved the entire crew that shared this epic journey, they were super engaging and made it almost impossible to not only love one but almost all. If I had to choose some of my favorite it would be Nina and Jes, but really I liked then all , each of them for something different.

I highly recommend this series.

Overall great book, lots of twist and turns, action, sorrow, great suspense, plus love and we get a little humor.

I rate this book a full 5 ★

Some of my favorite Quotes:

“I would have come for you. And if I couldn't walk, I'd crawl to you, and no matter how broken we were, we'd fight our way out together-knives drawn, pistols blazing. Because that's what we do. We never stop fighting.”

***

“Have any of you wondered what I did with all the cash Pekka Rollins gave us?"

"Guns?" asked Jesper.

"Ships?" queried Inej.

"Bombs?" suggested Wylan.

"Political bribes?" offered Nina. They all looked at Matthias. "This is where you tell us how awful we are," she whispered.”

***

“No mourners, no funerals. Another way of saying good luck. But it was something more. A dark wink to the fact that there would be no expensive burials for people like them, no marble markers to remember their names, no wreaths of myrtle and rose.”

***

“They were twin souls, soldiers destined to fight for different sides, to find each other and lose each other too quickly. She would not keep him here. Not like this.”

***

“I am grateful you're alive", he said. "I am grateful that you're beside me. I am grateful that you're eating."

She rested her head on his shoulder.

"You're better that waffles, Matthias Helvar."

A small smile curled the Fjerdan's lips.

"Let's not say things we don't mean, my love.”

Leigh Bardugo

Leigh Bardugo is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Grisha Trilogy (Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, and Ruin and Rising).

She was born in Jerusalem, grew up in Los Angeles, and graduated from Yale University, and has worked in advertising, journalism, and most recently, makeup and special effects. These days, she’s lives and writes in Hollywood where she can occasionally be heard singing with her band. Her new book, Six of Crows, arrives fall 2015.

Website *** Facebook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/crooked-kingdom-six-crows-2-leigh-bardugo
review 2017-03-15 23:55
Today's daily deal...
English Grammar Boot Camp - Professor Anne Curzan

How sweet! An item on my wish list showed up as a Daily Deal. It is so infrequently that they feature a title that I am interested in. Lots of suspense and romance but not much that is esoteric or otherwise off the beaten track.

But, that aside, I'm already well into it and it will be a good balm for the spate of spring cleaning that has begun around here. The lecturer has a pleasant voice, knows her topic and has an engaging style.

UPDATE: Finished. So sorry to have to move on. Curzan is so easy to listen to and her subject is fascinating. As a grammarian, she is practical and realistic not pendantic and inflexible. She understands that there is a difference between spoken language and formal written language, that language and usage are constantly changing.

If you just want to learn the rules, buy a style book such as Strunk & White or Brian Gardner or the Chicago Style Manual and just follow their rules. If you want to understand what makes our language tick and where these rules have come from, listen to Anne Curzan.

Rating: 4 and half stars