logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2017-reads
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-29 01:35
Hidden Figures
Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race - Margot Lee Shetterly

Hidden Figures tells the story of the role that women “computers,” particularly female African-American “computers” played in the birth of the aeronautics industry.  This is an important story, a story that should have been better known a long time ago, especially considering how important race and gender were, and still are, in the US.

Biographies tell what people did; the best also tell who people were – their personalities and what they cared about.  1st time author, Ms. Shetterley generally does a good, though dry, job telling a story about Dorothy Vaughn, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Christine Darden.  But at the end I didn’t feel like I know the women themselves. I am currently #65 on the hold list for the movie.  I wonder if I’ll have a better sense for who Dorothy, Mary, Katherine and Christine really are after watching some of the scenes I just read about come to life.

review 2017-04-28 14:51
Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress #4) by Jeaniene Frost
Destined for an Early Grave - Jeaniene Frost

Her deadly dreams leave her in grave danger

Since half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her undead lover Bones met six years ago, they've fought against the rogue undead, battled a vengeful Master vampire, and pledged their devotion with a blood bond. Now it's time for a vacation. But their hopes for a perfect Paris holiday are dashed when Cat awakes one night in terror. She's having visions of a vampire named Gregor who's more powerful than Bones and has ties to her past that even Cat herself didn't know about.

Gregor believes Cat is his and he won't stop until he has her. As the battle begins between the vamp who haunts her nightmares and the one who holds her heart, only Cat can break Gregor's hold over her. She'll need all the power she can summon in order to bring down the baddest bloodsucker she's ever faced . . . even if getting that power will result in an early grave

This book was another roller coaster live that is Cat and Bones. While Cat is moving around a lot in this book she still is with all the familiar faces, some more than others.

Since meeting Bones and teaming up with him, Cat had many challenges but this one might be one of the biggest yet. This book pushed Cat like never before with people and events all over the place. Past things that she forgot will be revealed to her and that will cause many changes with a lot of trouble, for Cat and Bones and them as a couple.

I really liked Cat in this book, while she was strong and never gave up she also had some weak moments that made her even more likeable.

Bones, oh man I really wanted to kill him in this book, while it all turned out okay I don’t think he was right to be such a big jerk to her and even his friends.

I really loved the friendship that grew between Vlad and Cat, I think it is good for Cat to have him as a friend.

There is so much going on in this book that I don’t know what to say or write without spoiling it to everyone who hasn’t read it yet, so I will keep this review shorter.

There are some major things happening not only to Cat who is battling with Gregor in her sleep as well while she is awake but also to her friends and family.

We have some big battles and with those some big loses, that were both surprising and heartbreaking.

This book kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the book. Some big twists are happening and every time you think, that it will calm down it picks you right back up.

I laughed, and I cried and was honestly shocked at some outcomes of the book.

While Cat and Bones are pretty much in the outs in this book and apart for the better part of it we still get plenty of them together .

Overall great book, best so far, at least for me and I rate it 5★

Some of my favorite quotes

“Movies. Drinks. Headless chickens. You know, girl stuff. ”

***

“Bloody hell, Kitten. Never thought to be flogged by my own furniture. Do you know I saw bloomin' stars when that cracked over my nog?”

***

“Slumber party with Dracula, all things considerd why not?”

***

“Trying to wake you,” Bones answered crisply. “I cut you, threw water on you, slapped you, and set a lighter to your legs. For future reference, which one

of those do you think worked?”

“Good God,” I hissed. “No wonder I thought you were Death incarnate in my dream, and that made me run toward Gregor at first!”

goodreads-badge-add-plus-

Available NOW

amazonBig bnbuy KoboButton

Jeaniene Frost

Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series and the Broken Destiny series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends. Aside from writing, Jeaniene enjoys reading, poetry, watching movies with her husband, exploring old cemeteries, spelunking and traveling – by car. Airplanes, children, and cook books frighten her.

For information on Jeaniene's books, reading the first 20% of each book free, book trailers, deleted scenes, creature mythology, and more, please visit: www.jeanienefrost.com

Links

Website *** Faceboook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/destined-early-grave-night-huntress-4-jeaniene-frost
review 2017-04-26 14:44
The Struggle (Titan #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
The Struggle - Jennifer L. Armentrout

A bloody path has been chosen…

The war against the Titans continues, and they remain determined to wreak havoc on the world, but Seth has become something all gods fear. Now the most dangerous, most absolute power no longer resides in those who have been freed from their tombs.

The Great War fought by the few is coming…

All may doubt and fear what Seth has become. All except the one woman who might be his final chance at redemption. Josie will do anything to prove that Seth is on their side, but fate has a nasty way of changing lives, of changing people.

In the end, the sun will fall…

The only way they can save the future and save themselves is by facing the unknown together. It will take more than trust and faith. It will take love and the kind of strength not easily broken. No matter what, their lives will never be the same.

For what the gods have feared has come to pass. The end of the old is here and the beginning of the new has been ushered in…

I’m so glad I could reunite with these characters, I really did miss them. This book seemed a bit slower and had less action than the last, but we get a lot of character arc in this book. It pretty much starts off where we left with the second book as Seth left, not only his friends but also Josie. When Seth left in the last book we found out that he is the …….. ,but he is sooo, sooo much more and it was kind of a shock and but also funny. The gods didn’t care for him before but now that is even a bigger issue. Speaking of the gods, we don’t get to see or hear a lot from them excerpt select few. Herc was completely missing and not even mentioned, maybe once if even, so that was a bit odd. He is still dealing with some issues or what he thinks are issues. But I think we are finally over the hump as far as Seth being all “nobody deserves me” spiel. I think maybe he starting to see what we all saw in him a long time ago, and it is about time. We get to see w much lighter and freer side of Seth as well which I enjoy so much. The softer, funny Seth that loves not just himself. Josie, she dealing with some pretty severe stuff after being taking by a Titan, while Seth was off finding himself. Some of it was pretty heartbreaking. But it really showed how much she has grown since book one. She has become so strong not only her powers but her, as a woman. I just wish she would see it as well and stop comparing herself to Alex or what Alex can do and she can’t. Because she is one strong and powerful heroine herself. As I mentioned we don’t get much of the gods, but we do get to see Apollo here and there. But, man something better be brewing that we don’t know about yet. Because he was one class A douche in this book. And I say that even though I loved him in the first two books. We get plenty of time with Alex and Aiden, Deacon and Luke and I loved how they become such a big part of the story without taking over the story. We even get to see some other old friends. I like that Josie and Alex grow closer and maybe even become close friends. I like that Alex is there for her when Josie needs someone the most. She also stood up for her at times and other just sat and held her hands when needed. Overall it was a great book, we have big characters and plot development happening. Some pretty awesome and big things are happening. Some of them were easily figured out and hinted at all throughout and other were pretty shocking like the cliffhanger that of course we getting. While we don’t get as much action we still get plenty of humor, romance and suspense and of course some action does happen. I’m already anxiously waiting for the next book.

I rate it 4★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Loving him meant that I knew from the first moment that I fell for Seth that he was complicated – that loving him wouldn’t be easy. Loving him…Well, it meant that I was willing to fight for him.”

***

“What destiny crap are you talking about?” A secretive smile curved the corners of his lips. “There is so much you do not know.” Why I hadn’t blasted the glittery fuck-face out the window yet was anyone’s guess.”

***

“If something happened to you again?” Lightning shot between the clouds, lighting up the sky in brilliant white. “I would burn this fucking world to the ground and then I would destroy Olympus.”

***

Seth snorted as he placed the last of the eggs on a plate. “That is just as likely as you actually being useful. “ One side of Aiden’s lips kicked up. “You know, I think you have a crush on me. “ Seth simply smiled in return, and it was a bit of creepy, hide-your-kids kind of smile that actually reminded me of Apollo, and that really made it even more weird. “It’s like the Twilight Zone,” murmured Alex, her eyes big. “Watching them work together on anything, even when it’s just eggs and bacon.”

Available NOW

author-photo-jla_j-lynn

# 1 New York Times and # 1 International Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Martinsburg, West Virginia. All the rumors you’ve heard about her state aren’t true. When she’s not hard at work writing. She spends her time reading, watching really bad zombie movies, pretending to write, and hanging out with her husband and her Jack Russell Loki.

Her dreams of becoming an author started in algebra class, where she spent most of her time writing short stories….which explains her dismal grades in math. Jennifer writes young adult paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, and contemporary romance. She is published with Spencer Hill Press, Entangled Teen and Brazen, Disney/Hyperion and Harlequin Teen. Her book Obsidian has been optioned for a major motion picture and her Covenant Series has been optioned for TV. Jennifer has won numerous awards, including the 2013 Reviewers Choice Award for Wait for You, the 2015 Editor’s Pick for Fall With Me, and the 2014/2015 Moerser-Jugendbuch- Jury award for Obsidian. Her young adult romantic suspense novel DON’T LOOK BACK was a 2014 nominated Best in Young Adult Fiction by YALSA.

She also writes Adult and New Adult contemporary and paranormal romance under the name J. Lynn. She is published by Entangled Brazen and HarperCollins.

Links

Website *** Facebook *** Twitter *** Goodreads

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/struggle-titan-3-jennifer-l-armentrout
review 2017-04-25 11:33
on a par with book one, but not as good as book two.
Three New Wishes - Sean Michael
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book. This is book three in the Rainbow Island series, but you don't need to have read book one, Three Wishes and book two, Three More Wishes to be able to fully follow this one. But it would really help you to follow Damien, Guard and James and what has happened to them and how they have got to this point in their relationship. I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as book two. That was the best of the three and here's why. The first two wishes are very similar, with a Dom/sub relationship and the third wish?? That was way off my radar and didn't do anything for me. Tim is bored, and sometimes visits the clubs for a night of release. But he wants to experience the full lifestyle sub experience. And Rainbow Island is just the place for him. Dom Rain arrives to teach him. But Rain has been watching Rain at the club: watching and waiting. And now, he can experience Tim for three whole weeks. I liked these two, liked that Rain had been following Tim, liked that they worked out very early what they both needed. Mike has been hired to be a sub for 3 weeks. Dom Brendan wanted someone without any prior dealings with the lifestyle. Their connection ran instant, hot and deep. Can Brendan offer Mike more than just three weeks? My favourite of the three. I loved that Mike, other than what he'd read, had very little knowledge of the lifestyle Brendan wanted him for. Loved that while Mike was bratty, Brendan worked with that. Loved that Mike was fully aware he could stop it all at any time, and was able to voice all his concerns to Brendan, and Brendan wanted to hear them. Robbie and Angus have been together for ten years. They want to experience puppy play. They come to the island to figure out whether it will work for them. My least favourite. Little bit too far out there for me. BUT I did like that Robbie and Angus took little bits of puppy play away with them, like the collaring idea, and the milking, even if total puppy immersion wasn't for them. AND THEN!! Dear Mr Michael, could Guard, Damien and James have a full book, just for them?? I still feel I missed a lot, and I so wanted more. I know, I know I said that in the other two reviews, but PLEASE??? Just to get the full story of what happened to James: the accident, the aftermath and them finally getting back together!! Not as good as book two, but on a par with book one, so... 4 stars **same worded review will appear elsewhere**

review 2017-04-25 11:20
Best one, after book one!
Chiromancist - Charmaine Pauls
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book. Bono isn't part of Cain Jones' team, not in the sense that he has none of the Seven Arts but he does fly them around the world, wherever they need to go. When their target, a woman who can read the future, a Chiromancist, takes a shine to Bono, he is thrown into the fray. But Sky pushes his buttons, buttons he never knew needed pushing. And it becomes a question of who will die first: Sky at the hands of Josselin and his team, or Bono at the hands of Sky's jailers. This is book 8 in the Seven Forbidden Arts series. It can be read as a stand alone, but I re-iterate the point that I would strongly recommend you read all the other books before this one. It would give you a better picture of Cain and his team, and of Godfrey and what he's been up. I am so very very glad Bono got a story! I've been waiting for his story, (not even knowing if it would come, because I somehow forgot to ask THAT question of Ms Pauls) since he dropped Josselin of in front of Clelia all the way back in book one. And it does NOT disappoint! Bono, the brooding Senegalese pilot, first meets Sky, the Chiromancist, when they visit for a reading. They know just what she is and what her Art is. They also know who has her on a tight leash. She doesn't like what she sees and she has no idea how to stop it. But Bono makes Sky want in a way she never did before. However, her ties to Doumar, and to Godfrey run fast, and they run deep. She knows the only way she'll really be free is to die, and to take Doumar and Godfrey with her. Finally!! We finally get just WHAT Godfrey is doing and not even Cain Jones saw THAT one coming, I tell ya! Not saying what, cos that's spoilers, and you'll not get it, nope, certainly won't!! But I swear, Godfrey has more lives than a bloody cat, and so far, he has used 8 of them. So book 9, Cain's story (soooooooooooo bloody excited for that!!) and Godfrey *should* run out! I love the layers that Pauls weaves into her stories. I did not see what Sky was gonna do coming at me. I did NOT see why those ties ran so deep coming at me! I did not see what Cain and Bono and the team did coming at me! I love being surprised on every level here! There is far less emphasis on Sky's Art. It not about her Art. It's about her and Bono and their love for each other, and how to get themselves out of the mess they find they are in. And you know what?? I LOVED that. In one of the other book reviews for this series, I noted that I didn't like that in that book, there wasn't so much of the Art. But HERE?? LOVED that there wasn't so much of it. I've no idea why it worked so well here! Something didn't quite click for me in book 7. Not so here. Whatever it was, doesn't happen here and I would have read this book in one sitting, well into time when I should have been at work, but really, I had to be present that day! But had real life not got in the way, one, single sitting. And its a long book!! OH!!! that little birthday party!! So great to catch up with everyone and their other halves, and the little ones! So many little people!! Ok so, summing up?? BEST ONE YET!! By far, after book one, my favourite of them all!! 5 full and shiny stars, because, lets face it, it can't have anything else, not at all!! **same worded review will appear elsewhere**