logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2017
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-06 15:30
Hilarious
Despicable Deadpool (2017-2018) #300 - Scott Koblish,Mike Hawthorne,Gerry Duggan,Matteo Lolli

They went all out, setting up the next series perfectly.    This Deadpool - and those before - ended up getting bogged down by a lot of baggage.   It was harder to balance the emotional aspect with the off-the-walls manic humor and social statements, and so they found a way out.

I'm sure this will come back later, but for now...

I say perfect.   But I'd think that there would be a way to Google things, but I suspect someone will take care of that, or it will be explained later on?

So much vomit.   Content warning for y'all.   Usually I stop reading at vomit, but it got funnier and funnier, and just yes.

ETA: Cap played a huge part in this and I'm still one-half starring everything with Cap in it until Marvel apologizes for the gas lighting about Hydra never being nazis and reverses the decision on that.

review 2018-07-06 14:13
Read this because I saw Black Panther recently
Marvel's Black Panther Prelude (2017) #1 (of 2) - Will Pilgrim,Annapaola Martello

This was up for free on Comixology - I believe it still is - and I wanted to see what this book was like.   Call it morbid curiosity: Black Panther was okay, but I didn't think it was one of the stronger Marvel offerings.   I know that it got a lot of hype and that many, many people think this is the best Marvel movie ever.   What I mean is I may be in the minority.   I did appreciate how strong a role women - and women of color I should specify - took in the movie.   I appreciated seeing a Marvel movie that was all people of color, to be honest.

That being said, I think it dragged, I was already bummed about Vision's obvious role in Infinity War and I  knew he wasn't in this.  I also read Black Panther, but it's never been one of my go-to characters or books.   I didn't have the nostalgia factor or the emotional investment in this.   I also think that Civil War was a better movie that engaged me more, especially the parts with Black Panther in them.

On a geek level, which I feel is less important than seeing strong black women in the movies, I enjoyed how Black Panther included so many of the characters from the comics while trying to minimize some of the racism in said comics.   (By having different tribes, the animal masks that represented different tribes and not using them much, they could have M'Baku - Man-Ape in the comics - without us thinking of him as an ape.  Or I didn't.   I saw him as a very human character with very human motivations, whereas in the comic booth his costume, the constant use of the 'Man-Ape' title and simplistic power-hungry motivations make him far less relatable and quite frankly make it easier to dehumanize him.)

So I'm going over the movie because I saw it before reading the prelude.  I went in carefully: I was expecting to like but not love this.   The is the story of how T'Challa starts off as the Black Panther.   I found the storyline more engaging, but the lack of strong female characters was mind-boggling given how many strong women the movie is filled with.    In fact, I found the lack annoying in this comic.

Good look at how he starts superheroing and what shapes and motivates Black Panther, but not sure I'll read the second.   Yes, it was good, but not great, and I am way, way behind on my comics right now.

review 2018-07-04 05:11
Purple Hibiscus (round two for book club)
Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I've read this before, but a book club picked it for July, so I read it again. It's still the same book I read in 2005 (says my kindle - who knows if that's correct?) One thing I adore: Adichie does a great thing in all of her books -- refuse to define terms others may not know, or may have to even look up. I find it wonderful that this is true even in a first novel. Imagine the strength it took to get this published in the US without some idiot editor forcing her to define words all over the place or worse - Americanize the novel! I've seen a lot of true voices come unhinged from reality by explaining what their own words mean - not so this novel or any of Adichie's other work that I've read. (And I do hope to be reading her fiction for years to come.)

While this coming of age tale of a tyrannical zealot self-hating father (with lines like "He did things the right way, the way the white people did, not what our people do now!") and a terrified frozen family walking constantly on eggshells treads somewhat familiar lines, it's a very strong first novel, despite what feels like an abrupt ending after a beautifully woven storyline and very strong characters.

Clearly Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was born to write, to communicate and never to apologize. An excellent first novel and still a worthwhile read, though if you're only going to read one of her novels, I'd recommend one of the later ones. This, however, is probably well suited for a book club read. So for this month, I'm knocking out my book club books as fast as I can in order to read some new ones I want to read by myself.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-07-02 20:37
Book Review : Final girl Riley Sager
Final Girls - Riley Sager

April 23- June 23

Ten years ago, college student Quincy Carpenter went on vacation with five friends and came back alone, the only survivor of a horror movie–scale massacre. In an instant, she became a member of a club no one wants to belong to—a group of similar survivors known in the press as the Final Girls. Lisa, who lost nine sorority sisters to a college dropout's knife; Sam, who went up against the Sack Man during her shift at the Nightlight Inn; and now Quincy, who ran bleeding through the woods to escape Pine Cottage and the man she refers to only as Him. The three girls are all attempting to put their nightmares behind them, and, with that, one another. Despite the media's attempts, they never meet.

Now, Quincy is doing well—maybe even great, thanks to her Xanax prescription. She has a caring almost-fiancé, Jeff; a popular baking blog; a beautiful apartment; and a therapeutic presence in Coop, the police officer who saved her life all those years ago. Her memory won’t even allow her to recall the events of that night; the past is in the past.

That is, until Lisa, the first Final Girl, is found dead in her bathtub, wrists slit, and Sam, the second, appears on Quincy's doorstep. Blowing through Quincy's life like a whirlwind, Sam seems intent on making Quincy relive the past, with increasingly dire consequences, all of which makes Quincy question why Sam is really seeking her out. And when new details about Lisa's death come to light, Quincy's life becomes a race against time as she tries to unravel Sam's truths from her lies, evade the police and hungry reporters, and, most crucially, remember what really happened at Pine Cottage, before what was started ten years ago is finished.

Review : This book was crazy this is about Quincy and 10 years ago escaped being killed while all her friends died at pine cottage then one of the final girls died and another final girl shows up at her door. who is kinda fucked up and tries to get Quincy to deal with her pain of pine cottage . I loved how it had flashbacks to pine cottage going up to the killing of her friends and I will say I did not see what came coming . Sam meets coup who is Quincy cop friend who has a thing for Quincy . I didn't like Quincy's boyfriend I don't think they were right for each other I'm glad they broke up . Quincy actually sleeps with coup which wow . It turns out Lisa didn't kill herself she was murdered . Quincy asked the reporter to look into Sam and he does she's not sam she's actually tina who killed her stepfather who was touching her . Sam takes her hostage and gets her to actually remember what happened at pine cottage Joe didn't kill Quincy's friends it was Coup who saved her oh my freaking god he has a thing for killing girls he killed Lisa and the real Sam . Quincy kills Coup . Quincy gets a tattoo and hears about a killing where only one girl survives and goes to her to teach her to be a final girl .

Quotes : I'm a fucking final girl”

Baking is a science, as rigorous as chemistry or physics. There are rules that must be followed. Too much of one thing and not enough of another can lead to ruin. I find comfort in this. Outside, the world is an unruly place where men prowl with sharpened knives. In baking, there is only order.”

If he did,” I say, “Coop’s too much of a gentleman to make a big deal out of it.” “Gentleman?” Sam says. “He’s a cop. From my experience, they fuck like jackhammers.”

review 2018-07-02 13:53
Nie droga, lecz trakt. Królewski.
Droga królów - Brandon Sanderson

Właśnie mija rok, od kiedy przeczytałem tę opasłą powieść. Trochę żal, że byłem zbyt leniwy, by opisać moje wrażenia od razu, z pewnością wtedy potrafiłbym poruszyć więcej aspektów, ale może i dobrze - bo dzięki temu oszczędziłem Wam nadmiaru zachwytu wylewającego się z każdego zdania recenzji! Tak, bo tylko w kategoriach zachwytu mogę tę książkę opisywać.

To, co najmocniej odczuwałem niemal od pierwszych stron, to odczucie, że jest to z pewnością najbardziej dojrzała pisarsko powieść Sandersona. Wyraźnie widać, że jest ona efektem wieloletnich przygotowań, klecenia wątków, budowania postaci. Nie kłują już w oczy niespodziewane, z księżyca wzięte zachowania bohaterów. Wątki (nie wszystkie - wszak to dopiero pierwszy tom) pięknie się ze sobą spajają, a mimo to ich kulminacja następuje w zupełnie niespodziewanym miejscu. Świat Rosharu, w którym dzieje się akcja powieści, jest po prostu nie-sa-mo-wity, tak różny od ziemskiego, a jednocześnie tak konsekwentnie przedstawiony!

Czytałem opinie, że fabuła wolno się rozkręca, są dłużyzny - ja żadnej z tych rzeczy nie odczuwałem! Owszem, jak to u Sandersona, temperatura akcji mocno podskakuje pod koniec powieści, nie oznacza to jednak, że wcześniej jest nudno. Wręcz przeciwnie, poznajemy bohaterów w przełomowych dla nich okolicznościach, a wcześniej prolog i jeszcze wcześniej pre-prolog skutecznie wzbudzają zaciekawienie.

O czym jeszcze mogę powiedzieć, żeby zachęcić do przeczytania? O spektakularnie przedstawionych scenach akcji, tak działających na wyobraźnie, że aż przypominających nagrane w slow-motion sekwencje z hollywoodzkich filmów? O tym, że choć nawał zdarzeń był ogromny, to jest to zaledwie początek całej historii, która zapowiada się imponująco? O tym, że następna część - bo już ją przeczytałem - tylko to potwierdza? O tym, że dla takich książek warto czytać książki?

No, bo warto:)