logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2018
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-25 15:47
Pre-Review Thoughts: The Splendour Falls
The Splendour Falls - Susanna Kearsley,Barbara Rosenblat

The Splendour Falls

by Susanna Kearsley
narrated by Barbara Rosenblat

I have been enjoying Susanna Kearsley as far as the only couple other books I've read by her, so it was probably inevitable that I'd come across a disappointment--I just hadn't expected it so early on.  The Splendour Falls dragged something awful, and the truth is, the actual story's conflict doesn't even quite surface until about 8 hours into the audio book; 8 hours out of a 12 hour audio book.

As I had had a good impression of Kearsley since the first book I'd read, I'm hoping the next one will be a bit better.  I've noted that The Splendour Falls is apparently NOT her best work, and there's a general consensus that it might even be one of her lesser novels.  The book is still beautifully written, with lovely characters whom, while abundant and sometimes hard to keep track of, sort of came alive.  Except for our main heroine, Emily... she continued to be the boring speshul snowflake and I had a hard time relating to her.

I will have a full review out soon.

Halloween Bingo 2018
(a genre or mode of literature and film that combines fiction and horror, death, and at times romance)

Source: anicheungbookabyss.blogspot.com/2018/09/pre-review-thoughts-splendour-falls.html
review 2018-09-25 15:20
John Peters in the Land of Demons
John Peters in the land of Demons - A.H. Matai

by A.H. Matai

This one confused me in that the writing was stilted, much of it in short sentences like you might see in a children's book, but the characters were university age. There was some off sentence structure and weird word choices and eventually I decided that it must have been written by someone whose grasp of English is being seen through a foreign grammar structure. I tried to look up information on the author to see if they came from a non-English speaking country, but couldn't find anything.

There were some interesting ideas but the story just didn't flow. I do generally find stories involving demons very interesting. There was a lot of 'telling' as far as the character's feelings were concerned, mostly when they got angry. The premise of the story really attracted me but I just couldn't get into it.

review 2018-09-25 14:16
Review: Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega #1) by Patricia Briggs
Cry Wolf - Patricia Briggs

Anna never knew werewolves existed, until the night she survived a violent attack... and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she'd learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. Then Charles Cornick, the enforcer—and son—of the leader of the North American werewolves, came into her life.

Charles insists that not only is Anna his mate, but she is also a rare and valued Omega wolf. And it is Anna's inner strength and calming presence that will prove invaluable as she and Charles go on the hunt in search of a rogue werewolf—a creature bound in magic so dark that it could threaten all of the pack.

I read and love the Mercy Thompson series so of course I wanted to read this series as well and I’m happy that I did.

Of course I already know most of the world and setting from the Mercy books and some of the characters but of course we get some new elements and storyline and some more new characters and that made the book just great and fun to read.

I should say that I never was  big fan of Bran, Sam and especially Charles and had a bit of a rough start with Charles in the beginning. But at the end he stated growing on me…. I’m still not his biggest fan and more than once wanted to punch him but I did up liking and understanding more of him.

Also I did not read the pre-quell Alpha & Omega and think it would have helped especially in the beginning of the book. I was a bit confused but things cleared up fairly fast.

Anna, I really enjoyed her , while she started out pretty timid and quiet you could still tell she is a pretty strong charades, She thinks things through and she will not back to down from people. She is really kinda feisty and of course has her funny moments.

Charles as mentioned not my fav but he is growing on me. Anna just makes him so much more likable. But I did enjoy seeing a bit more of his magic from his mom’s site .

I liked how Anna and Charles grew and got to know each other as mates and as a couple throughout the book, it was fun to follow them.

Bran, like I said earlier he I never really liked him all that much but after this book I actually like him a lot. We learn a lot more about him, his history and really Charles and Sam’s history as well .

Asil. Ohhh Asil, I really liked him, he became one of my favorites in this book, I knew from the first time we meet him there is more to him. I just like everything about him.

Overall I really enjoy this book, I really enjoyed and looking forward to learn more about Omegas I thought it was very interesting. I also liked the witch part and always love a good witch stories and such.

So in short I really enjoyed this first book in this series and looking forward to book two

I rate it 4 ★

Buy Links

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/09/25/review-cry-wolf-alpha-omega-1-by-patricia-briggs
review 2018-09-25 13:45
Don't Know What I Was Supposed to Take Away From This One...
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

I tried to get into it, but Robert Neville in "I Am Legend" kind of sucks. You feel sorry for him for losing his wife and daughter, but then Matheson will have him talk about how the vampires that are women are trying to seduce him and a few times he has to talk himself out of going outside to them. I am guessing rape? Cause they seem to fall down as if they are dead during the daylight hours. Eh. I don't know. Spoilers: There's also a dog and it dies and I was mad so there was that.

"I am Legend" has Robert Neville as it seems the sole survivor of a vampire virus. Neville spends his days hunting vampires and also trying to find out a cure. You (and me I guess) start to feel sorry for Robert as you realize he has nothing to break up his days and his nights are spent drinking himself to oblivion to block out the noises and yelling the vampires do.

The vampires in this book curiously enough are not like vampires in Salem's Lot. They seem similar to Count Dracula that they have some control over their bodies and reasoning. They don't like garlic though or religious symbols depending on the vampires background before they were turned (which made zero sense).

Things change for Robert though when he sees an actual live dog and then comes across a woman named Ruth. Robert is desperate to just make a connection with someone or anything in order to hold onto what is left of his humanity.

This book takes place during the late 1970s in the U.S. so there is no discussion of cell phones, blogs, the internet, etc. so you definitely can see how in that time and place things and people could be cut off from each other.

The world building works for me since you hear how the virus spread through misquotes (which makes sense when you think about the Zika virus) and how slowly everyone was taking over.

The ending didn't make a lot of sense to me. I don't want to discuss cause of spoilers, but my brain/logic thinks that the whole ending just ruined what came before it.

review 2018-09-25 11:51

Comes Out :June 5 2018

Pages:352

Netgalley ARC

Book synopsis:

You’ve got everything she wants …

Newly married Natasha has the perfect house, a loving husband and a beautiful little girl called Emily. She’d have it all if it wasn’t for Jen, her husband’s ex-wife who just won’t leave them alone …

Then Natasha returns home one day to find her husband and Emily gone without trace. Desperate to get her daughter back, Natasha will do anything even if it means accepting an offer of help from Jen. But can she trust her? And do either of them really know the man they married?

If you loved The Girl on the Train, Gone Girl or The Couple Next Door then this dark, twisting psychological thriller from Amazon chart bestseller Jess Ryder is guaranteed to have you gripped

My thoughts

5 stars

Natasha : she'll do any thing to protect her little girl

Nick: the husband - a douchebag - he loves to play Natasha and Jen against each other

Jen: the ex wife

it really is a  dark, twisting psychological thriller, because when the story starts you have no idea who is telling the story, you find out that its told in different perspectives and caught in this drama is sweet little Emily. You see how the 2 wives the new one and the ex one is played against one other , how Nick is not a person you want to know , and how Natasha will do anything for her little girl, it does remind me a little of The Wife Between Us but I still loved it , if you liked that one you might want to check this one out, its a thriller you can not miss out on, because you have to read it it find out the what happenings to all the characters , who will win little Emily. With that said I want to say thanks to Netgalley  for letting me read it and review it in change for my honest opinion.