logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2018
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-14 18:28
Good ending, although it doesn't hold up for me completely
Death Of The Inhumans (2018) #5 (of 5) - Donny Cates,Kaare Andrews,Ariel Olivetti

Marvel either needed to get more brutal, or less.   (And to be honest, given the rest of this series?   More brutal would have been the most appropriate!)   That being said, this felt... off.   The mixture of brutal and hopeful at the ending was gut wrenching - but didn't seem to fit the premise of this series, nor the promise held in the title.   I know I like a good brutal story about characters I love, although I'm not sure why, so I felt a little let down - and relieved at the same time.

So I'm not sure: I just wanted a little more oomph from this ending.   It feels like the mini-series wasn't sure where to go while doing something in particular - allowing certain characters to make it if you want to get particular - and then this.  I know comics are more well planned out.   Marvel cancelled Chelsea Cain's Vision series because it conflicted with plans for Viv in the Champions.   That is: Marvel wouldn't let Donny Coates do whatever he wanted.  I'm not sure if his vision for this conflicted with what Marvel wanted, or if this was a carefully crafted ending that just didn't work for me, but it didn't.   Overall, though, it's a five star series: even with the choppy ending, there was enough here for me to highly suggest this, from the lovely art to the plot twists that won't stop, plus the philosophical thoughts that were dropped in here.   (Yeah, it wants you to think about mortality and what you'd do in the most extreme situations.)   And the ending wasn't a complete mood killer, or even bad: I was just expecting more given the pace.

And I think that might be what be wrong.   This barrels along at high speed - and the stop is sudden and disorienting and that's making me cranky-pants and nitpick about the ending.

I think I'll be more okay with it when I reread this - and this is good enough to reread.

review 2018-11-14 18:08
Marvel isn't afraid to get brutal
Death Of The Inhumans (2018) #4 (of 5) - Donny Cates,Kaare Andrews,Ariel Olivetti

And they do here.   I've been wondering when they're going to kill people off with something called "Death of the Inhumans."  I mean, there was the huge death count in one, but very few of the royal family?  Esepcaily with them on all the covers.

Arguably the royals are the Inhumans franchise as they've always been central to that.   Is Marvel killing of other Inhumans?   The franchise?   Both?

And then they managed to bring some of the royals back.   So what's going on?    But I'm starting to think this might be more of a spiritual death: their hope is being killed off, and that's far, far more brutal than merely killing off the royals.   Just look at what they've done to Black Bolt for an example of something far more brutal than killing him off.   I'm still hoping for hurt/comfort there, but I think it's going to be hurt and then more hurt, and then me curled up into a ball at the end of issue five, the final issue in this mini-series.

But until I get there?   I'm loving this!

review 2018-11-14 17:47
I spoiled myself for the big reveal
Transformers: Lost Light #22 - Brendan Cahill,James Lamar Roberts

I didn't mean to, but someone was talking about it on Twitter.   Oops.   Regardless, it took my breath away, because it's huge, and it makes sense to me on multiple levels, none of which I can talk about without spoiling a couple people I got started on this - and that I'm still hoping will finish this.

I laughed so hard a couple times during a break in my class.  Everyone ignored me because I was hoping up a Transformers comic, but they don't know what they're missing out on here!

Love, love, love this so damn much.  I can't believe I only have three more issues and then no more James Roberts writing Transformers!   It just can't be true, and it is at the same time.

review 2018-11-14 17:32
Monday Mini Review – Born A Crime by Trevor Noah @Trevornoah
Born a Crime - Trevor Noah

I have been watching Trevor Noah on The Daily Show for some time now and when I saw he had a book out, I had to have it. I checked it out from the library and I was not disappointed.

Cover Design:  Greg Mollica

Publisher: Spiegil & Grau/Penguin Random House

Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood

Amazon  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Trevor Noah is a prime example that how you grow up is no excuse. He shows that you can be whatever you want to be. He is livingthe American Dream after growing up in Africa during Apartheid.

I couldn’t help but laugh at his childhood antics. I love that nothing crushed his personality, his ability to make fun of life. Him and his mother are an amazing pair. Their life was rich in love and experience.

“We had a very Tom and Jerry relationship, me and my mom. She was the strict disciplinarian, I was naughty as shit.”

His mom, Gotta love her. They laughed in the face of death. His mother is an amazing woman. Strong, stubborn, confident, determined. I love how she ‘worked the system and if you read these essays you will wonder if you could do the same.

I laughed with them, I was angry for them and I deeply respect their ability to rise above the horror they lived in.

You don’t want to miss these fabulous essays.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

READ MORE HERE

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/monday-mini-review-born-a-crime-by-trevor-noah-trevornoah
review 2018-11-14 03:34
Penric's Demon by Lois McMaster Bujold (audiobook)
Penric's Demon - Lois McMaster Bujold,Grover Gardner

Series: Penric & Desdemona #1

I stumbled across this while looking for more audiobooks at the library because none of my audio holds were available. It was short so I figured I'd give it a shot.

It turned out to be a cute novella about how a nineteen year old boy on his way to his betrothal lands himself a demon and thus becomes a sorcerer (which leads the girl in question to break things off). Now, Penric was a bit of nitwit at times but he managed to not be too annoying, so I enjoyed my introduction to his story, and I think I'll continue with it because my library has the others. Desdemona is the name he gives his demon, which is apparently an odd thing to do.

Penric is rather young but he knows awfully little about how his world functions because he's basically clueless about demons. I'm not sure whether that was just because he was young, lived in a bit of a backwater, or what. I guess I'll see if the other books elaborate at all.