logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2019-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-09-02 15:46
Book Review: The Body Painter by Pepper Winters
The Body Painter (Master of Trickery Duet #1) - Pepper Winters

There is a lot to unpack here with my feelings so I will try to be fair and concise with my review. While I did enjoy the writing style of the author, by the end of the book I was thoroughly aggravated with these characters and I wanted more answers. As noted in the content warning, this is not a book for young readers. There is a lot of dark and sinister things going on throughout the story and you should be prepared. I can’t go into too much detail without giving some major spoilers so just know that this is not a lighthearted book.

A few things I did enjoy about this story were the varying points of view. Olin and Gil find each other as adults after a high school romance ended badly. We are slowly filled in on their past as the story progresses giving unique perspective to the present situation. Gil’s troubled past and Olin’s unanswered questions about their breakup make for a lot of tension.

Truth be told, I feel like the story could have been a bit shorter. There was a lot of back and forth between Olin and Gil that seemed unnecessary. The chemistry between them was clear from the beginning and it felt like chapter after chapter of Gil telling her to go away and Olin refusing to stay away. By the time the story progresses it’s the end of the book and you are left to wait for the next book to get any real answers.

I did enjoy the author’s writing style and beautifully descriptive setting. The actual body painting scenes were so immersive you felt like a fly on the wall in the room. The artistry of the the process came through and was really interesting to read. The chemistry between Olin and Gil was strong, the tension immense, and the unanswered questions plentiful.

I would recommend this story to readers who enjoy a lot of suspense and love/hate relationships. If you enjoy jumping into a storm of drama and mystery then this is the book for you.

review 2019-08-27 22:15
Book Review: The Fire Unseen (Book 1)
The Fire Unseen (Unseen Series #1) - Andrew C. Jaxson

After reading The Dark Unseen last week I knew I had to grab the first book in this series right away, and I was not disappointed. Jaxson creates a world within our world that cryptic, hidden, and possesses special powers.

There are some particularly graphic moments and the supernatural elements will send a chill up your spine. Don’t fret though, you won’t need a night light for too long after reading this story.

Ari is a reluctant heroine. We meet her as she’s coping with a significant loss having survived a town explosion that killed several other people. For all intents and purposes she should not have survived, but by some miracle she comes out mostly unscathed. Then a mysterious new friend visits in the hospital and things start getting weird.

Ari is thrown into an unknown world and has no choice but to trust those helping her. There are twists and reveals throughout the story that keep the pace moving quickly as you dive into this new complex world with Ari. Despite physical and mental exhaustion our heroine fights the evil lurking at every turn.

I recommend this book if you’re in the mood for a thrilling YA story that creeps you out and makes you question which side is good or evil, and how much fate determines the future of our world.

review 2019-08-27 22:13
Book Review: The Dark Unseen (prequel)
The Dark Unseen (Unseen Series 0.5) - Andrew C. Jaxson

What a wild ride. This short little novella will grab your senses and take you along a creepy journey like no other. Jaxson has a way with words that makes you not want to stop reading, you have to know what happens next.

If you aren’t a fan of creepy things that go bump in the night, this book is not for you. While it’s directed as young adult, I would recommend this for ages 16 and up. There are some graphic moments.

We meet Hud as he graduates high school. To celebrate he and his two best friends go camping high up in the mountains. What was supposed to be a night of celebrating and reminiscing quickly turns dark and sinister. This unknown monster has the teens running for their lives. As these events unfold, Hud starts recalling memories from another time in his life. Does he know this monster already?

I recommend this book if you’re in the mood for a thrilling YA story that will leave you wanting more. I was so enthralled I immediately started the next book, The Fire Unseen, after finishing this one. Check back next week for that review! You won’t be disappointed.

review 2019-08-22 21:24
Book Review: Summer Bucket List
Summer Bucket List - T.K. Rapp

What a delightful summer treat this book turned out to be. While there’s not a lot of surprises per se, the story of Holland and Milo finding each other is sweet and full of young hopefulness.

Holland’s character is a pretty typical popular kid in high school. She fits in with most social groups and enjoys being friends with lots of people. Milo is a quieter sarcastic character who keeps to himself. Despite having classes together Holland still feels that Milo has a sense of mystery about him. He never really opens up to her the way most people do, so of course that drives her crazy.

Cue graduation, parties, and then working together. Milo and Holland get to know each other and decide to date knowing that summer would mean the end of things, enter the bucket list idea. Super fun ideas peppered through this coming of age story.

I recommend this book if you’re in the mood for a fun, sweet, young adult romance. Summer romances are built up so much in high school, it’s rare to find one that will last after.

review 2019-07-03 15:00
Review: She's a Spitfire
She's a Spitfire - Chloe Liese

This story picks up right where He's a Brute left off, so make sure you read that one first. The history of Zed and Nairne's dynamic is important to the story. Full disclosure, I didn't read book 1 first and that may have skewed my enjoyment of She's a Spitfire a bit. I did go back and read it and it helped me enjoy/forgive some aspects that I didn't initially like. This review is my thoughts having read both books now.

I have to say I really enjoy Nairne as a character. She is smart, feisty, determined, loyal, and doesn't take shit from anyone. Even in the face of thinly veiled threats she manages to let Zed know that she cares. Nairne knows what she is and isn't capable of and doesn't let that stop her from enjoying her life and following her dreams. She is the epitome of handicapable.

Elodie is one of my favorite sidekicks. Not only does she fiercely protect her best friend, she also calls her out when she's being unreasonable. Best friends need to call you out on your shit and know you'll be friends afterwards. I really enjoyed the dynamic between Nairne and Elodie and I think it was very well written.

Zed is not my favorite person. Despite his deep devotion and moral compass I just can't get behind how he talks to Nairne. I understand it's part of their dynamic and they enjoy each other but it is definitely not my cup of tea. To each their own.

Overall I did enjoy the twists and turns of this suspenseful story. It was a fun exhilarating journey with two people who love to hate each other. Zed and Nairne's passion for each other and for life is enough of a story, add in some mafia ties and a stalker and things get heated pretty quickly. I recommend this book if you don't mind some crass language and some very stubborn main characters.