logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
back to top
Search tags: 2019
Load new posts () and activity
Like Reblog Comment
review 2019-09-16 08:04
Kann nicht an „Final Girls“ ansetzen
Schwarzer See - Riley Sager

Inhaltsangabe

Emma Davis ist Künstlerin und steht am Beginn einer großen Karriere. Niemand ahnt, dass sie in ihren Bildern eine traumatische Erinnerung verarbeitet. Vor 15 Jahren hat sie im Sommercamp in den Wäldern am Lake Midnight etwas Furchtbares erlebt: Ihre drei Freundinnen verschwanden eines Nachts, man fand keinerlei Spuren. Jetzt kehrt Emma zurück an den schwarzen See. So schön die Umgebung, so beklemmend ist die Atmosphäre im Camp. Und dann scheint sich die Geschichte zu wiederholen: Erneut verschwinden drei Mädchen. Doch Emma ist fest entschlossen, sie zu finden − und endlich herauszubekommen, was damals geschah. 

 

Meine Meinung

Lange habe ich mich auf ein neues Buch von Riley Sager gefreut, da mir „Final Girls“ damals super gefallen hat.

Als ich dieses Buch entdeckt habe, war schnell klar, dass ich wieder zu diesem Autor greifen möchte. Der Klappentext klang spannend und mysteriös und auch die Optik des Buches kann mich wieder für sich einnehmen.

 

Ein Gefühl, welches mich fast durchgängig im Buch begleitet hat, war, dass ich einfach mit der Protagonistin Emma nicht warm geworden bin. Ich empfand beim Lesen einfach nichts, was ihre Person und ihre Geschichte anging.

 

Was beim Lesen sofort durchkommt, ist das Mysteriöse. Auch wenn die Erzählerin mich nicht packen konnte, schafft es der Autor eine durchweg düstere und beklemmende Atmosphäre zu erschaffen. Für einen Thriller dieser Art, war das Camp am Lake Midnight das perfekte Setting.

 

Was geschah damals mit Vivian, Natalie und Allison?

Ich hatte beim Lesen wirklich keine Ahnung, warum und durch wen diese drei Mädchen vor 15 Jahren verschwunden sind. Der Autor konnte also die Spannung halten, aber ob das Buch auch den perfekten Spannungsbogen hatte, muss wohl jeder Leser für sich selbst entscheiden.

 

Das Buch wird auf zwei Zeitebenen erzählt. Zum einen erfahren wir die Geschichte im Camp vor 15 Jahren und da Emma auch in der Gegenwart zurück ins Camp kehrt, wiederholt sich die grausige Geschichte auch in der Gegenwart nochmal.

Dieser stete Wechsel hat mir gefallen.

 

Mit der Auflösung hätte ich nicht gerechnet. Der Bogen dahin war gut, aber für mich fast etwas zu mystisch.

 

Mein Fazit

Vom Schreibstil und der Atmosphäre kann ich dieses Buch wieder empfehlen.

Ich hatte dieses Mal persönlich ein Problem mit der erzählenden Figur Emma.

Ich kann auch eine Woche nach Beendigung des Buches noch nicht sagen, was mich so sehr an ihr gestört hat.

Auch wenn mich „Schwarzer See“ nicht so begeistern konnte, wie „Final Girls“ freue ich mich auf mehr des Autors!

 

Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2019-09-16 03:20
Bunny ★★★★★
Bunny - Mona Awad

I’m honestly not sure what I just read. I think it made sense, in a way, sort of, by the end. What I do know is that it was funny, and sad, and nightmarish. It was batshit insane, and I could not stop listening to it until the story was over. Warning: buckets o’ blood. And mini-cupcakes, with sprinkles.

 

Audiobook, via Audible. Sophie Amoss did a terrific job, for the most part. Her Bunnies were wonderfully horrific, but her accent for a Scotsman sounded just like I would sound, trying to imitate a Scotsman.

 

 

 

I read this book for the Booklikes Halloween Bingo 2019, for the square Dark Academia: Any mystery, suspense, supernatural or horror that takes place at a school - high school, college, boarding school, etc. This story takes place at a college in New England, with the main characters all graduate students.

 

Prior Updates:

Sep13 0%

Sep13 23%

Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2019-09-15 22:09
Quick Thoughts: Footsteps in the Dark
Footsteps in the Dark - Georgette Heyer

Footsteps in the Dark

by Georgette Heyer

 

 

Locals claim The Prior is haunted and refuse to put a single toe past the front door.  Left empty for years, and even their deceased uncle chose to live in a different house, far away from this particular property.  But the ramshackle old house, with its rambling charm is the perfect setting for a much-needed holiday for siblings Peter, Celia and Margaret, who have inherited it from their uncle.  It wasn't the lack of modern conveniences that made a summer spent at the ancient priory mansion such an unsettling experience.  It was the supposed ghost... or whatever was groaning in the cellars and roaming the countryside around Framley Village after dark.

But when a murder victim is discovered in the drafty Priory halls, the once unconcerned trio begins to fear that the ghostly rumors are true and they are not alone after all!  But traditionally ghosts don't commit murder.  And in this case, the things which go bump in the night are deadly.  With a killer on the loose, will they find themselves the next victims or will they uncover the true in time?  Does the key to the crime lie in the realm of the supernaturalr?  Or is the explanation much more down to earth with a more corporeal culprit of flesh and blood?



The premise for Footsteps in the Dark was definitely one that I was extremely excited about.  Even though I'm a scaredy cat, and don't really like scary stories, I get really giddy about haunted house stories, and a double whammy would be a haunted country house setting.

This is my second Georgette Heyer book, and while I didn't care for the first one I read of hers, Death in the Stocks, this book definitely made up for it.  By rights, it's not the best book in the world, and the investigative process was probably a bit questionable, but the characters were fun, even if the humor slipped into "tackily overdone" territory a few times.

And yet, I still found the bit of comical interactions rather appealing.  I DO wish that the women had more of a role in the investigation... and well, more of a role at all in the book--they seemed like background scenery, to be totally honest.

The romance was most definitely insta, which made it a little hard to take it seriously, especially since Margaret's love interest was more or less a creepy unknown who kept secrets when they first met.  I'd have been happier if their courtship didn't only consist of one walk together and a cryptic conversation in which Margaret is still unsure whether or not Michael Strange was a killer.

Nonetheless, the rest of the book was very enjoyable.  The few moments involving the Monk got appropriately creepy enough to maintain the haunted house atmosphere.  The side characters were also appropriately delightful as comic relief.

And so I'd definitely give Ms. Heyer my continued interest in her work.


***

Halloween Bingo 2019

 

 

Source: anicheungbookabyss.blogspot.com/2019/09/quick-thoughts-footsteps-in-dark.html
Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review SPOILER ALERT! 2019-09-15 21:48
Book Review: Teen Titans Raven kami Garcia
Teen Titans: Raven - Kami Garcia,Gabriel Picolo

September 15

When a tragic accident takes the life of 17-year-old Raven Roth's foster mom--and Raven's memory--she moves to New Orleans to recover and finish her senior year of high school.

Starting over isn't easy. Raven remembers everyday stuff like how to solve math equations and make pasta, but she can't remember her favorite song or who she was before the accident. And when impossible things start happening, Raven begins to think it might even be better not to know who she was before.

But as she grows closer to her new friends, her foster sister, Max, and Tommy Torres, a guy who accepts her for who she is now, Raven has to decide if she's ready to face what's buried in the past...and the darkness building inside her.


Review : I really loved this story. Tragedy happens when she loses her foster mom and her memory and she is now living with her foster mom's sister and her daughter Max . Strange things start happening to Raven she starts hearing a voice . She starts getting close to this guy named Tommy but is there something up with him . On the night of the prom the voice comes out which is her father who is a Demon she's half Demon and Tommy is working with these people who recruit people with powers. Raven doesn't really trust him anymore .Raven has decided to look for this guy name slade cause now her father is in a necklace cant wait to read the next one .

 

Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2019-09-15 21:44
Reading progress update: I've read 289 out of 304 pages.
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

Aaaahhh. My e-book copy said I had another 14 pages, but it's historical notes!!! I can't believe it just ended like that. I think I need to read the The Testaments right away...

More posts
Your Dashboard view:
Need help?