logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 24-festive-tasks
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-02 20:13
Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin
Young Jane Young - Gabrielle Zevin

Young, Jane Young was the second book by Gabrielle Zevin I’ve read. I loved her other book, The Storied Life of A.J Fikry and this one had a particularly intriguing synopsis. It’s about a sex-scandal between a prominent congressman and his intern, Aviva. The novel is written from the perspective of four women who were connected with the scandal. It had first-person perspective, second-person and third-person, which kept if really fresh. There wasn’t any particular perspective I liked best, I enjoyed them all.

Aviva has just started as an intern for a congressman when the novel begins. The first perspective is her mothers, who advises her to end the relationship. She doesn’t and it ends up becoming public knowledge eventually. The congressman gets off relatively unscathed and retains his position in office, but Aviva’s life is virtually ruined. No one will hire her and every time she gets an interview all the perspective employer has to do is Google Aviva and the story is revealed.

The first number of chapters are narrated by Aviva’s mother, as said. The second part is from the perspective of Aviva herself, then her daughter for a short time, the Congressman’s wife and finally Aviva herself again. This didn’t feel jarring at all and seamlessly moved between parts. That was one of the aspects I liked a lot about it, the fact it was so smooth to read when it changed so often.

This is the kind of book you’re better knowing very little about before you read, so I won’t say anything further about the plot. It highlighted and discussed something we know is very prevalent in today’s society, public shaming, due in large part to the internet. The novel also tackled the issue of gender inequality and feminism and did it in very human way.

review 2018-12-31 16:53
Couldn't Get Into it
The Color of Magic - Terry Pratchett

I tried. I really did. But this book was not for me. It dragged. It had a lot of people and things happening and I felt like I needed to read a prequel book in order to understand everything that was going on. Maybe I just didn't get the funny parts of the book. I just felt lost through most of this. This is my second time attempting to read this book too and I don't think I will go back for a third time.

This book follows a wizard named Rincewind who guides Discworld's first tourist, Twoflower, around Anhk-Morpork then throughout the western lands and the great Circle Sea all the while being followed by Twoflower's luggage.

The writing was fine, I just thought the flow was a bit lopsided.

Hogfather

review 2018-12-30 16:15
Hercule Poirot´s Christmas
Hercule Poirot's Christmas - Agatha Christie

This will definitely become one of my annual christmas reads, I had such a blast reading this story about a dysfunctional family and the repercussions a toxic christmas feast brings to them. The patriarch of the family, Simeon Lee, is a true devil.

The solution to the mystery was a bit of let down, though. To me it felt like Christie came up with a murderer on a whim and for me it was hard to follow why exactly this person did hold such a grudge. (The Suchet movie adaption does a better job at giving the murderer a motive).

I´ve read this book for the 24 tasks as a book that takes place in England.

review 2018-12-30 16:06
The Concrete Blond
The Concrete Blonde - Michael Connelly

In this third novel Harry Bosch has to deal with the repercussions of the dollmaker case and him killing the alleged perpetrator, Norman Church. While being sued by the widow of Church, a body with the signature signs of the dollmaker is getting found. Bosch has to deal with this one question: has he killed the dollmaker four years ago, has he killed an innocent or is a copycat killed on the loose?

Another strong entry in the Harry Bosch series. I preferred the murder investigation over the trial parts, but Connelly seamlessly weaves these two story lines together and as with the previous books in the series, this becomes a page turner very fast.

There is still one thing that I don´t like about these books: Harry´s love life. Harry in love is cheesy as it gets and I really don´t like the (needy and clingy) love interest in this book.

I´ve read this book for 24 tasks as a book where something comes to an end (the dollmaker case).

review 2018-12-30 15:52
Sous Chef
Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line - Michael Gibney

This book is what is says on the front: Gibney puts you into the shoes of a sous chef, the second in command in a kitchen, for 24 hours. And by telling his story in a second person narrative, it feels like the reader itself is standing in the middle of the kitchen, sweating, trying to get the food on the table.

This book was a mixed bag for me. The work ethics of the people working in restaurants and the descriptions of food and the work that goes into creating the perfect dish were fascinating and this book gives you a glimpse into the madness that this profession is. Being at work for 18 hours a day, six or seven days a week ... I don´t know how they do it and I´m glad that I never even considered to get into that line of work.

What I didn´t like about this book, though, is the incessant gutter talk between the coworkers and even though this might be a realistic depiction of their conversational skills, it annoyed me to no end. And the way that this book is written, Michael Gibney doesn´t strike me as a very sympathetic person. Which again might be true for a lot of people in this profession, because you might be an asshole to survive in a working enviroment like that.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the food industry and the secret life behind the kitchen door in a restaurant.

I´ve read this book for the 24 tasks as a book that takes place in New York.