logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 3-inherited
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-18 13:36
Harvest Home ★★★★☆
Harvest Home - Thomas Tryon

Some books have such compelling action that I get completely sucked in, reading to find out what’s next, what’s going to happen on that next page. This is not that kind of book. Instead, it is a slow burning, wonderfully atmospheric story that sucked me into the mysterious events and curious characters, so that I kept reading because I wanted to know more, to mine the hints and subtleties to find out *why* people were doing and saying and events and stories were not matching up. I am not a fast reader, and with baseball games having started, I’m slower than ever, which is why it’s significant that I finished a 400 page hardcover in only four days. And that’s literally all I can think of to say without spoiling the whole plot.

This novel is not without its problems. It is certainly dated, but I wouldn’t say that it hasn’t aged well. More that it is an excellent snapshot of the cultural issues and fascinations of early 1970’s mainstream America. Although I have never studied the history of feminism, I am willing to bet that a modern feminist scholar would find a lot to dissect here.

One last thought. I first read this book when I was not quite a preteen, because it was all the rage at the time and my parents never noticed when I snuck their adult fiction off the shelf after they were done with it. They never would have let me read the novel equivalent of an R rated movie. So I didn’t have the maturity or the base knowledge to understand a lot of it (no internet in the 70’s and children were much more naïve then), and I’d forgotten most of the plot, so in some ways I was coming to this book unspoiled. And I’m glad of it. This book had been left on my parents’ bookshelves for 40 years, until I found it mixed into a box of my grandmother’s books, when my mother chose to give them to me as keepsakes rather than throwing them out. I was delighted to find it, and now I’m even more delighted after having reread it as an adult.

Previous Updates:

Pg 50: http://sheric.booklikes.com/post/1540577/harvest-home-progress-50-401-pg

review 2015-07-13 15:38
Hollie Adams' Things You've Inherited from Your Mother (2015)
Things You've Inherited From Your Mother - Hollie Adams

Things You've Inherited From Your Mother focusses on Carrie, but the broader use of characterization does as much to build readers' understanding of Carrie as Carrie's own narrative. Ultimately, however, it is Carrie's voice which will linger for readers, as much as for the cringes and winces as for the giggles and snorts.

The prose remains buoyant even when the narrator is sinking. And the novel's structure is tightly knit, so that the final words leave readers with an understanding that the simple fact that readers are holding this story in their hands demonstrates that Carrie's means of coping with her grief were effective after all.

(This is a spoiler-free space, but I would love to tell you exactly why the ending was so fitting. I do have much more to say, here on BuriedInPrint.)

review 2015-05-28 14:07
Bound by Blood by Claire Ashgrove
Bound by Blood (Inherited Damnation Book 4) - Claire Ashgrove

I really loved Fintan.  Perhaps it is because of his academia side with his scrolls and knowledge of history, but he was just a really great character. Beth isa great match for him. Both were incredibly well developed with history and emotions that really ran deep. Beth is denying herself and what she really wants to follow a dream that isn't hers. But Fintan is willing to try anything to make her see what's really there and embrace it.

The ties to the Selbovae Celt past were a very nice touch and really helped give me a better understanding of the family history. Beth history is a very important part of the story and it was a bit of a surprise to see just how much it affected her. We have a nasty sibling living with Fintan that really does her best to ruin everything - and actually comes very close! They had me worried for awhile about how it was all going to work out right!

I think this couple may have been my favorite so far, and the setting was just about perfect.

*This book was received in exchange for an honest review*

Source: www.bittenbyromance.com/2015/05/bound-by-blood-by-claire-ashford-review.html
review 2015-05-25 00:00
Inherited Thorns (The Empathetic Enchantments, #1)
Inherited Thorns (The Empathetic Enchant... Inherited Thorns (The Empathetic Enchantments, #1) - Sammie Sidelinger Book: Inherited Thorns (The Empathetic Enchantments Series Book 1)
Author: Sammie Sidelinger
Publication Date: 4/16/2015
Reviewed by: Tammy Payne- Book Nook Nuts
My Rating: 5 Stars

REVIEW
New to me author.

We have some paranormal beings I have not read much of so that was nice. Acer is Native American and he is more than many bargain for. He has never wanted a woman until he meets Haven. Something is pulling him to her and when she takes him prisoner he finally gets her? or does he? He now wants what his buddy Blaze has but why?

His wings are always hidden but when Haven sees them what will he tell her? To himself he is a monster.
Can he have Haven forever though?

We have shifters, warlocks, witches and a bit more in this fantastic paranormal book. The author gives us action and some sexy hot passion. The story flows very nicely and the characters I enjoyed immensely especially their names and what unique abilities each have. The book however could use more editing as there are some hiccups in various areas but not enough to take away from the story.

I was gifted this book for my honest review.

[a:Sammie Sidelinger|9860773|Sammie Sidelinger|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1416451280p2/9860773.jpg]
review 2015-03-17 14:19
Destined to Die by Claire Ashgrove
Destined to Die - Claire Ashgrove

I love when a "bad guy" falls in love.  They make such a great story as they learn to be better people and come to grips with their past.  Belen is not your traditional bad boy.  He really does do some bad things, and one of those bad things sets off the chain of events that leads to his eventual redemption.

Belen was a very interesting character.  He chooses to follow his darker side.  He thinks his lighter side is tainted by his mother's abandonment and he walks away from it.  When this decisions puts Faith in danger because of his actions, he begins to second guess everything he's done.  The catch, he really doesn't want to be a better person at first.  It was great!

Seeing Belen with Faith was like watching a different person than when he was with everyone else.  She really was his angel and showed him how powerful good could really be.  He is determined to walk away from it all, but when his love puts her life in danger, he needs to make the final decision of whether or not her life is worth his immortality.

There was quite a nice little twist in this story that only made it work even better.  Again, I loved the fact that it wasn't love or lust at first sight.  The characters had a history that the story really built on and it adds a layer of reality to a paranormal that makes it work so well.

*This book was received in exchange for an honest review*

Source: www.bittenbyromance.com/2015/03/arc-review-destined-to-die-inherited.html