logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 3rd-grade
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-09-04 20:59
A fabulous “tail” of a story: Of Salt and Shore
Of Salt and Shore - Laura Watkinson,Annet Schaap

Of Salt and Shore is a story of pirates and sideshows and secrets and loss. But it’s also the story of Emalia aka “Lampie,” a spunky little girl with the same kind of moxie that makes Pippi Longstockings so endearing. I was hooked like a fish on a line. The story is emotionally engaging, and I didn’t want it to end. I love when a book makes me feel something toward the characters, and reading this made me want to hug Lampie, smack her daddy, and drop a bag of flour on storekeeper Mrs. Rosewood’s foot, and that’s just within the first couple of chapters. Lampie has to overcome a lot of obstacles, and she takes a lot of knocks, but she keeps getting herself back up and pushing ahead. No matter what happens, she just keeps moving forward. Her life is full of action, adventure, tragedy, and, eventually, kindred spirits and camaraderie. I think the knickname Lampie fits because, no matter how dark a turn things take, she finds a way to shine a light into the situation.

I could easily see Of Salt and Shore being made into a movie, perhaps something along the lines of A Monster Calls, only not quite as dark. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and stayed up late reading into the wee hours because I couldn’t put it down.

I received an ARC from Netgalley for an honest review, and that’s exactly what my review is: honest.

review 2020-08-06 12:04
Resurrection: The Legend of Sanction
The Legend of Sanction (Part one: Resurrection) - Kayne Sampson

by Kayne Sampson

This has an interesting concept where demons are corporeal and have uneasy relations with humans. There was a lot of emphasis on swordplay and a smattering of magic that would appeal to sword and sorcery readers, but the writing struck me as middle-grade and didn't hold my attention as much as I'd like.

I would recommend it for boys 10-13 and maybe a little older. Especially reluctant readers who might get captivated by the fight scenes.

review 2020-07-31 04:34
Lifeboat 12
Lifeboat 12 - Susan Hood

Audience: Grades 4 & up

Format: Audiobook/Library

I shouldn't do it.

- first line

This book is based on a true story of kids that were travelling on the SS City of Benares to Canada to escape the Nazi bombing of London. When the ship is torpedoed, Ken (13) and other survivors are left on Lifeboat 12 in the middle of the ocean. It's the little details in this book that make it so impactful. Ken was supposed to be on a different lifeboat, the young woman who makes up stories for the boys, the one sailor who acts crazy to make everyone laugh.
The story is told in verse, so I recommend reading a written copy more than the audio (or maybe both together). The audio is very well done and I could hear the emphasis and lyricism in the narrator's voice. The story is compelling and shows the importance of believing in yourself and each other and joining together to survive. Highly recommended. A 6-8 Sunshine State nominated book for 2020-21.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2020-07-25 06:07
Book review : The titans curse Rick Riordan
The titans curse - Rick Riordan

October 4 - 19

Summary - When Percy Jackson receives an urgent distress call from his friend Grover, he immediately prepares for battle. He knows he'll need his powerful demigod allies at his side; his trusty bronze sword, Riptide; and . . . a ride from his mom.

The demigods reace to the rescue to find that Grover has made an important discovery: two new powerful half-bloods, whose parentage is unknown. But that's not all that awaits them. The Titan lord, Kronos, has set up a devious trap, and the young heroes have just fallen prey.

Hilarious and action-packed, this third adventure in the series finds Percy faced with his most dangerous challenge yet—the chilling prophecy of the Titan's curse

review - This is my favorite Percy jackson book so far this one was so crazy first annabeth Percy and Thalia go to this boarding school where there are two half bloods Bianca and nico and there is a monster of course Dr. Thorn percy and Annabeth are dancing and then percy notices that there missing so percy goes after them . Dr. horn takes them hostage and then annabeth comes in her invisible cap the others show up and some new characters to the hunters Artemis and zoe , Annabeth goes missing Bianca joins the hunters they get a ride to camp from Apollo Thalia drives them to camp not the best driving . Percy wants to find annabeth but there is nothing the camp can do . The oracle tells him of the quest and Thalia Bianca grover and Percy can't go chiron tells him to go home for Christmas but he has a dream about annabeth and he knows he has to go nico tells percy to watch out for his sister . so blackjack takes him but mr . D stops them but ends up letting them go when he meets up with the others he ends up killing a lion . they are looking for aritimis and annabeth . and the general is planing something and Luke is working with him , the skeletons go after them they go to the hoover dam a girl saves percy life rachel dare . Thalia asks for her fathers help and some angels help them . they go to annabeths father they take his car but a lightning bolt hits the car . zoe's father is atlas and Artemis is holding up the sky they trick atlas but zoe got poisoned by the dragon and is dying , they go to olympus some want kill percy and thalia because children of the big three thalia joins the hunters so she won't turn sixteen just two years away for percy I loved this book great read .

favorite quotes “Wow,” Thalia muttered. “Apollo is hot.”
“He’s the sun god,” I said.
“That’s not what I mean

Let us find the dam snack bar," Zoe said. "We should eat while we can."
Grover cracked a smile. "The dam snack bar?"
Zoe blinked. "Yes. What is funny?"
"Nothing," Grover said, trying to keep a straight face. "I could use some dam french fries."
Even Thalia smiled at that. "And I need to use the dam restroom."
...
I started cracking up, and Thalia and Grover joined in, while Zoe just looked at me. "I do not understand."
"I want to use the dam water fountain," Grover said.
"And..." Thalia tried to catch her breath. "I want to buy a dam t-shirt.”

Do you always try to kill people when they blow their nose?”

review 2020-06-12 01:27
Book Review: North or Be Eaten by Andrew Peterson
North! or Be Eaten - Andrew Peterson

North! Or Be Eaten is the second book of this Wingfeather Saga series. Though we start in Glipwood forest it seems like we get a bit about Tink and Janner and the Igiby family. I would suggest reading book 1 first. Though, I only got book 2. It was just as good without needing to read book 1. Though, I think it would be best if you want to know how and why we start where we do in “North!, or Be Eaten.”

We seem to be following Janner the most throughout the book. Though we get glimpses Tink. It seems that both Tink and Janner are what this book is about. Though the way Igiby family acts will they be able to survive.

What will happen to Janner and Tink and Leeli? Will they be able to stick together. Will they be killed by the Fang of Dang or the Stranders? I got the feeling something is up with their grandfather. Who wants the Igiby grandfather?

Will the sibling embrace their special talent or gifts? Will they allow Fangs and Gnag the nameless and others to betray them. It was an enjoyable read. Though a bit of it made me take a while to read. Once you get into the book it adventure of a ride.

The images that are drawn are wonderful. I love them. The author does a wonderful job of writing the story. I was more surprised at how it ends. There are quite a few twisted and turns throughout the book. Young adults and children will enjoy this book/ series. Good for middle-grade children and up.

The book is really clean and teaches some lessons as well as throughout the book. You would be surprised that this teaches about the importance of family, grace, friendship, trust, and sibling rivalry