logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 5-Star-Review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-13 18:14
Prepare To Be Outraged – Breath of Scandal by Sandra Brown @sandrabrown_NYT
Breath of Scandal - Sandra Brown

Breath of Scandal by Sandra Brown is my latest addition of her work to my read shelf. She is an author that appeals to me on every level and I am happy to share this (late) review. I finished reading the book on 3.30.15 and, as much as I loved it, it’s hard to believe I have waited this long to share my review.

I would like to thank Net Galley and Grand Central Publishing.

Breath of Scandal

Amazon  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

We have some young, hormonal boys out drinking, bored and looking for something to do. I see nothing good coming from it..and I hated to be right.

Noel is the sheriff’s kid and is a spoiled pig, a creep, and I think he will grow up to be a very bad man. He had the best of everything and thought Jade would fit right in. She sure didn’t and snubbed him. Jade’s mom thinks it’s a great idea,  but Jade has her eyes set on Gary.

I quickly figured out what is to come, but there was lots of anticipation and tension created while I waited for it. That is why I love Sandra Brown. Just because I know what’s coming, her writing makes for  page turning, white knuckled reading. The writing is so good, I smell the beer on his breath, feel the slime of the mud as we crawl through the car ruts and the cold swampy water as we huddle in the ditch, terrified.

I felt the fear before Jade did, because, as a reader, I know what is coming before she does. LOL I cringe as I think of it. I feel it is going to be so much worse than she can imagine….and I’m right. I am horrified!

I am so pissed off!!!! Breath of Scandal reads like a true story. I want to throw my Kindle at the wall I am so ticked off. I had to stop reading for a moment and catch my breath, get my emotions under control. AND, I am only at 15%. It is so hard to describe the emotions bubbling through my veins, racing through my mind, aghast at the abuse and misuse of power and the nonchalance of the characters involved, from the bad guy, the cop, her friend, and her own mother, probably the biggest betrayal of all.

Crowd mentality can cause people to take on newer and darker personality traits. The wealthy and powerful rule and think that laws were made for other people, not them. Is the one aiding and abetting as despicable as the actual villain?

I’m beginning to plot Jade’s revenge for her. I love her ability to pick herself up and go on.  I love her grit and determination.

The only downside was when Sandra Brown veered off topic to tell Dillon and Debra’s story, but there must be a reason????

Breath of Scandal by Sandra Brown had all my emotions raging. Dying would be too good for the evil characters, and believe me, they are evil. A death sentence would be too good for them.

I could rant on and on, but I think I have said enough. If you love your emotions running the gamut, disgusting villains, and a protagonist that will have their day, then you need to grab a copy now!

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Breath of Scandal by Sandra Brown.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 5 Stars

READ MORE HERE

MY SANDRA BROWN REVIEWS

• Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product imgaes are linked.
Source: www.fundinmental.com/breath-of-scandal-by-sandra-brown/#.XBKYRml7kl0
review 2018-12-12 18:44
In A Dark Alley, They Meet – Dark Remnants by L K Hill #LKHill
Dark Remnants (Street Games #1) - L.K. Hill

Oh man, no way could I resist Dark Remnants by L K Hill. I love covers that have an eye on them. Are they really the doorway into someone’s soul?

Cover Art:  Kealan Patrick Burke

Dark Remnants (Street Games #1)

Amazon  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Lovin’ that eye on the cover and it makes me feel like someone is watching me.Could it be the female protagonist, Kyra, or Gabe, the detective? Well, I say we all hook up and do some sleuthing.

Abstreuse City is a very dangerous place. L K Hill does a great job describing it. the homeless, the garbage, the smells and the dark, the pimps and the prostitutes.

Kyra and Gabe’s path collide when she finds out about a plan to turn the cops raid of a drug house into a slaughter house. She knew she had to intervene. And…could they be looking for the same person?

I’m not sure who Kyra is looking for, or why she is so curious about the dead prostitute, but I will find out.

I wasn’t sure if this would grab me like it did with the funny names, like Slip Mire, but I quickly got involved. Dark Remnants is fast paced and action packed, just the way I like it.

Kyra is hard as nails and quick on her feet, yet able to win the trust of others.She is able to read people, using it to her advantage. She looked like a junkie, from her spiky black hair to her black clothes with the hoodie and the track marks inside her elbows. Her eyes are so blue you couldn’t overlook them and she wears makeup to create a sickly pallor. She does no whining and crying, just has an intense desire to get the job done. Love a strong female character!

I love it!

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Dark Remnants by L K Hill.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos   4 Stars

READ MORE HERE

• Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/in-a-dark-alley-they-meet-dark-remnants-by-l-k-hill-lkhill
review 2018-12-10 15:14
One Sentence Review – The City by Dean Koontz @deankoontz
The City - Dean Koontz

I have been a huge fan of Dean Koontz for years, so when I saw this for review, I had to grab it. Then…I wished I hadn’t.

Thanks to Net Galley and Bantam.

The City (The City, #1)

Amazon  /  Audiobook  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Well, what can I say…I never even read the blurb because…it’s Dean Koontz…and I was so disappointed to be denied my dose of horror that I was expecting, though I did finish it and gave it a 2 star rating for that reason, I could never get past my expectations and I know I will be reading blurbs from here on out.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The City by Dean Koontz.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 2 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

The city changed my life and showed me that the world is deeply mysterious. I need to tell you about her and some terrible things and wonderful things and amazing things that happened . . . and how I am still haunted by them. Including one night when I died and woke and lived again.

Here is the riveting, soul-stirring story of Jonah Kirk, son of an exceptional singer, grandson of a formidable “piano man,” a musical prodigy beginning to explore his own gifts when he crosses a group of extremely dangerous people, with shattering consequences. Set in a more innocent time not so long ago, The City encompasses a lifetime but unfolds over three extraordinary, heart-racing years of tribulation and triumph, in which Jonah first grasps the electrifying power of music and art, of enduring friendship, of everyday heroes.

The unforgettable saga of a young man coming of age within a remarkable family, and a shimmering portrait of the world that shaped him, The City is a novel that speaks to everyone, a dazzling realization of the evergreen dreams we all share. Brilliantly illumined by magic dark and light, it’s a place where enchantment and malice entwine, courage and honor are found in the most unexpected quarters, and the way forward lies buried deep inside the heart.

• I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked
Source: www.fundinmental.com/one-sentence-review-the-city-by-dean-koontz
review 2018-12-10 14:36
Monday Mini Review – Sleeping Beauties by Stephen & Owen King #StephenKing #OwenKing
Sleeping Beauties: A Novel - Stephen King,Owen King

Pretty cool cover for Sleeping Beauties by Stephen & Owen King.

Publisher:  Simon & Schuster

Sleeping Beauties

Amazon  /  Audible  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Sleeping Beauties is a collaboration between Stephen & Owen King, so I don’t expect it to be a Stephen King ‘original’. That being said, I did enjoy the story, but was left wondering if Stephen has lost his mojo or is in semi retirement. I hope not, because I have read a vast majority of his work and would love to have more of the old stuff. What gripped me most about the book, is the importance of the women. Hey guys, take a listen here. BUT, women without men, or vice versa, is not a workable solution to any problem. This fantasy exposes human failings, sharing their hopelessness, sadness, anger and rage, good and bad, and every emotion you can imagine. In the end, we do the best we can. There are plenty of characters for you to love and hate, but be careful, your favorite may not survive.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

In a future so real and near it might be now, something happens when women go to sleep; they become shrouded in a cocoon-like gauze.

If they are awakened, and the gauze wrapping their bodies is disturbed or violated, the women become feral and spectacularly violent; and while they sleep they go to another place.

The men of our world are abandoned, left to their increasingly primal devices. One woman, however, the mysterious Evie, is immune to the blessing or curse of the sleeping disease.

Is Evie a medical anomaly to be studied, or is she a demon who must be slain?

• I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked
  • Thanks for visitingl!
review 2018-12-04 20:24
Mackinac Island & Murder – Tandem Demise by Duffy Brown #DuffyBrown @dollycas
Tandem Demise - Duffy Brown

Tandem Demise: A Cycle Path Mystery
Cozy Mystery
3rd in Series
Independently Published (October 28, 2018)
Paperback: 298 pages
ISBN-10: 1729374786
ISBN-13: 978-1729374788
Kindle ASIN: B07JRB373X

MY REVIEW

Duffy Brown in Tandem Demise takes us to real places and lets us meet some real people, soooo, if you have ever been to Mackinac Island, you will feel right at home, except for the dead guy.

I love these quirky characters and the mystery to die for.

Especially Eve. She is a real hoot. She fits the definition of a cozy character to a tee. A fumbling, amateur detective, a bit nosy and known for it by all. No place is safe from her prying eyes. She sees dead people. She believes she lives under a black cloud. Does it put her in danger? Of course.

The humorous, snappy dialogue kept the action moving and the entertainment at a high level with laugh out loud moments.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Tandem Demise by Duffy Brown.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

ENTER THE GIVEAWAY HERE

• Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/mackinac-island-murder-tandem-demise-by-duffy-brown-duffybrown-dollycas