logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 5-Stars
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-22 02:33
Theft of Swords
Theft of Swords - Michael J. Sullivan,Tim Gerard Reynolds

One of my friends described this series as fantasy-lite and boy is it ever. Hadrian and Royce are fun protags, but the stories are on the thin side.

I didn't realize this volume has two different stories, so I was getting annoyed at how quickly the first story appeared to be resolving itself. But even after realizing what was going on, the writing and resolution of the first story is still too reliant on villain monologues. The story didn't take any unexpected twists and the characters don't have much depth. The second story was somewhat better in construction and the way it was paced. The fantasy elements are slow to be integrated, maybe to ease the reader into the world? Though I'm not sure why a fantasy fan would need such easing. (Ok, GRRM is on the feet-dragging side of this too, but his characters and their various relationships are complex and complicated, and the world they live in feels real. And even when the villains reveal things, you can't be sure they're telling the truth.)

The narrator has that fantasy-type voice which works well with the narration, but he doesn't have much range on the voices. A lot of the characters start sounding the same after awhile.

These are decent stories and fun, but I can't say I'm tempted to continue. I did pick up The Crown Tower during Audible's last sale, so I'll try that one next and see if some of these issues get improved upon or not.

review 2017-03-18 13:36
Harvest Home ★★★★☆
Harvest Home - Thomas Tryon

Some books have such compelling action that I get completely sucked in, reading to find out what’s next, what’s going to happen on that next page. This is not that kind of book. Instead, it is a slow burning, wonderfully atmospheric story that sucked me into the mysterious events and curious characters, so that I kept reading because I wanted to know more, to mine the hints and subtleties to find out *why* people were doing and saying and events and stories were not matching up. I am not a fast reader, and with baseball games having started, I’m slower than ever, which is why it’s significant that I finished a 400 page hardcover in only four days. And that’s literally all I can think of to say without spoiling the whole plot.

This novel is not without its problems. It is certainly dated, but I wouldn’t say that it hasn’t aged well. More that it is an excellent snapshot of the cultural issues and fascinations of early 1970’s mainstream America. Although I have never studied the history of feminism, I am willing to bet that a modern feminist scholar would find a lot to dissect here.

One last thought. I first read this book when I was not quite a preteen, because it was all the rage at the time and my parents never noticed when I snuck their adult fiction off the shelf after they were done with it. They never would have let me read the novel equivalent of an R rated movie. So I didn’t have the maturity or the base knowledge to understand a lot of it (no internet in the 70’s and children were much more naïve then), and I’d forgotten most of the plot, so in some ways I was coming to this book unspoiled. And I’m glad of it. This book had been left on my parents’ bookshelves for 40 years, until I found it mixed into a box of my grandmother’s books, when my mother chose to give them to me as keepsakes rather than throwing them out. I was delighted to find it, and now I’m even more delighted after having reread it as an adult.

Previous Updates:

Pg 50: http://sheric.booklikes.com/post/1540577/harvest-home-progress-50-401-pg

review 2017-03-15 02:24
Midnight Riot (or, Rivers of London)
Midnight Riot - Ben Aaronovitch,Kobna Holdbrook-Smith

Oh, boy, that was fun! And funny! This is like the UK's answer to Harry Dresden - if Harry was way more mellow and his dog was a slipper with ears. Harry's dog might be named Mouse, but he ain't tiny. :) Toby still has it where it counts though.

Survey says: Harry kicks ass; Peter is swell bloke.

The world-building was pretty well-developed throughout the story, not just for the magic stuff but for London itself for us non-Londoners who don't know how London works. I imagine it's told in a politely backhanded enough way to still be amusing to those who live there though. We're told only what we need to know when we need to know it, and aren't info-dumped for no reason, yet it still manages to set things up for later books.

The case was interesting and certainly unexpected.

Punch and Judy is just messed up, y'all. And to think that was considered appropriate entertainment for the whole family back in the day.

(spoiler show)

Leslie looks like she's getting set up to be the Murphy of this universe, only much more mellow and less awesome. Though she could still end up being awesome later. We'll see.

I'm not sure at all why the American publisher changed the name of the book from Rivers of London - since the rivers actually are pretty important - to Midnight Riot. Sure, there's a riot and it happens at night, but it's not even the climax of the book. Com'n. Did they really think we'd need the promise of a riot to get us interested? That's horrible. This isn't like trying to get kids interested in a bunch of old guys sitting around discussing the meaning of life to a bunch of rocks (BORING!) versus wizards doing cool magical stuff with stones (AWESOME!). There was just no reason to change the title, and maybe it's just me, but it also introduces an unfortunate (most likely completely unintentional) racial implication. Peter's mixed-race. There's a riot. Must be connected, yeah? Let's make it the title! Boo! Bad job, American publisher! Bad job!

The narrator, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, did an okay job. He has a nice voice, all silky and rich and mmmmm...wait, what was he saying? ;) I did tend to get caught up in the sound of his voice and miss the actual words he was saying, having to go back and re-listen and mmmmm... :D The downside is that he really needs to learn how to breathe properly when he's narrating. Lots of deep inhales at pretty much every stopping or pausing point. Comma? Time to breathe. End of sentence? Time to breathe. I did listen to the sample for the next book, and he seems to have improved on this point, so I'll continue with the audios.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-03-15 01:06
Book review : It ends with us colleen hoover
It Ends with Us: A Novel - Colleen Hoover
December 29-March 12

Sometimes it is the one who loves you who hurts you the most.

Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up—she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily’s life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.

Ryle is assertive, stubborn, maybe even a little arrogant. He’s also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily. And the way he looks in scrubs certainly doesn’t hurt. Lily can’t get him out of her head. But Ryle’s complete aversion to relationships is disturbing. Even as Lily finds herself becoming the exception to his “no dating” rule, she can’t help but wonder what made him that way in the first place.

As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan—her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.

Review : This book was sad and beautiful . Lily has been through a lot and then she meets Ryle a doctor he tells her he doesn't do relationships but he wants her so they finally start going out but then in a heat of a moment he hurts her . Lily owns a flower shop and her coworker is Ryle's sister . She tells him if he hurts her again she will leave him . Lily's friend from childhood is back Atlas . When Lily was younger Atlas was a homeless kid Lilly use to smuggle food and they use to watch the ellen show and then there relationship became more until he moved and went to the military but now he's back he owns a restaurant . Ryle is threatened by there past relationship and speaks harshly to Atlas saying Lilly pitty fucked him . Lily's father was abusive to her mom . Lily is happy with Ryle , Ryle meets Lily's mom . Alysa is is pregnant. I wasn't sure I was going to like this book because I don't really like abuse books but it was told very well . Lily meets Ryle's parents and they like her and Lily and Ryle get married Alysa has her baby rylee a baby girl and then Lily goes home and Ryle has been drinking and he hurts her again twice one he pushes her and there was an incident Ryle accidentally shot his older brother and he died . Ryle tells lily he wants help that he needs to walk away sometimes but then something bad happened he hurts her again he bites her beats his head against her and tried to Rape her I FUCKING HATE THIS MAN and she calls Atlas and she goes to the hospital and she stays with Atlas for a few days and she meets his friends Ryle is going to England for three months and Lily finds out she's pregnant a lot to take in and she doesn't know what to do about Ryle she finally tells Alysa she tells Lilly to leave him . Ryle is back and Lily tells him off . And she tells her mom . Lily goes into labor and she tells Ryle she wants a divorce . Months later when she's bringing emmy to see Ryle she runs into Atlas she drops of Emmy and runs after him and I hope they end up happy together they talk about kids and charity .
Quotes:
There is no such thing as bad people. We’re all just people who sometimes do bad things.”

He pulls back to look down at me and when he sees my tears, he brings his hands up to my cheeks. “In the future... if by some miracle you ever find yourself in the position to fall in love again... fall in love with me.”

It stops here. With me and you. It ends with us.”

You can stop swimming now, Lily. We finally reached the shore.”

“Maybe love isn't something that comes full circle. It just ebbs and flows, in and out, just like the people in our lives. Just because we didn't end up on the same wave, doesn't mean we aren't apart of the same ocean.”

“Did I mention he was wearing a onesie? I’m talking a legit, full-grown man in a SpongeBob onesie.”

Yes. I kept the magnet Atlas gave me when we were kids. Yes. I kept the journals. No, I didn’t tell you about my tattoo. Yes, I probably should have. And yes, I still love him. And I’ll love him until I die, because he was a huge part of my life. And yes, I’m sure that hurts you. But none of that gave you the right to do what you did to me. Even if you would have walked into my bedroom and caught us in bed together, you still would not have the right to lay a hand on me, you goddamn son of a bitch!

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-03-15 00:31
Book review : The art of being normal lisa willimanson
The Art of Being Normal: A Novel - Lisa Williamson

January 22- March 10

David Piper has always been an outsider. His parents think he's gay. The school bully thinks he’s a freak. Only his two best friends know the real truth: David wants to be a girl.

On the first day at his new school Leo Denton has one goal: to be invisible. Attracting the attention of the most beautiful girl in his class is definitely not part of that plan. When Leo stands up for David in a fight, an unlikely friendship forms. But things are about to get messy. Because at Eden Park School secrets have a funny habit of not staying secret for long

Review : I loved this book this is about David and Leo both very different but the same . David has always been different his parents think he's gay but he's not he wants to be a girl . Leo is a new kid at school who doesn't like making friends he's marked right away as a troubled kid he meets Alisha a girl who sees him not for his bad boy act . One day David gets bullied bad by this one asshole guy and Leo helps him out and punches the guy . Leo and David start talking and Leo starts tutoring David in math . When David is alone he dresses in girl clothing David wants to be a girl to be trans but he has to tell his parents . Leo is has started dating Alisha and he's happy but then Leo tells Alisha his secret . David decides to visit Leo since he hasn't been showing up to school and David tells Leo that he isn't gay that he wants to be a girl And Leo tells David he's trans I totally didn't see that coming but there were signs and David asks if he will come back to school and he eventually does but some bitch mean girl finds out Leo is trans .
The reason Leo left his old school was he was attacked by some classmates and tied to a tree fucking terrible .
Leo finds out who his father is and he wants to go meet him and David is going with him and David decides to go in girl clothing they go drinking and get really drunk and they find Leo's dad and he was a fucking asshole . Leo's aunt explains that Leo's dad ditched them before he was even born . David finally comes out to his family and tells them about him wanting to be a girl . David's friends throw this winter party that isn't part of the school David and Leo dance it was cute I loved this book and the characters .
Quotes :
Normal is such a stupid word what does it even mean

Look it's beautiful out. Are you seriously telling me you'd prefer to lie on the sofa in the dark all day correct .