logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 5-Stars
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-17 03:26
Summer Sisters ★★★★☆
Summer Sisters - Judy Blume

I wish I knew what magic makes a book so compelling that you just get sucked right into it and look up hours later, thinking, “I should go to bed, but just a few more pages, but ohhh I’m really going to be sorry when my alarm goes off at 5:30, but just a few more pages, ohhh what the heck okay another chapter.”

In another author’s hands, maybe, this would not have been that kind of book. There were a couple of twists but it was otherwise fairly predictable. The characters were not especially complex and yet I just wanted to know what happened, what they did, why did they do it, and yes I even needed a few Kleenex at the end. The brief little peeks into every (with one key exception) character’s innermost thoughts following key events should have been annoying, but I was instead delighted with them.

I can’t explain it, but this was one of those books. More than 400 pages and I am a slow, stodgy reader, but I gobbled this one up in 2 days. Go figure.

Paperback version, picked up secondhand on a whim 3 years ago.

Previous Updates:

7/16/18 – 297/416

review 2018-07-16 19:02
Review: “Boystown 6: From the Ashes” (Boystown Mysteries, #6) by Marshall Thornton
Boystown 6: From the Ashes - Marshall Thornton

~ 4 stars ~

review 2018-07-15 16:47
Lock In ★★★★☆
Lock In - John Scalzi,Wil Wheaton

Loved it. Loved the writing, loved the characters, loved the story. I loved the “what if” of the idea of the story. I loved how the concepts of body autonomy and consent and disabilities and discrimination and community are toyed with. The only reason this wasn’t a five star is that I was a little too distracted by the plausibility of the *how* of the disease, but that’s something I tend to always get wrapped up in with this sort of story and not at all the writer’s fault.

Audiobook, purchased via Audible. Wil Wheaton’s performance truly makes the story come alive. He is amazing. Many thanks to Obsidian Blue for recommending this one to me!

review 2018-07-15 12:59
Review: “Boystown 5: Murder Book” (Boystown Mysteries, #5) by Marshall Thornton
Boystown 5: Murder Book - Marshall Thornton

~ 4.5 stars ~

review 2018-07-15 07:53
Boystown 4
Boystown 4: A Time For Secrets - Marshall Thornton

”You’re mine.”

Easily the best and most intriguing mystery yet. But damn...my heart is getting a workout here.