logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: A-is-For-Alibi
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-03-26 23:14
"A" is for Alibi by Sue Grafton (audiobook)
A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone #1) - Mary Peiffer,Sue Grafton

Series: Kinsey Millhone #1

Not a bad mystery, although the romance angle earned a few eyerolls. The main character as a female PI who is actually competent at her job was a nice angle, although I'm not sure if I'll explore the rest of the series.

review 2019-03-11 01:33
A Is For Alibi by Sue Grafton
A is for Alibi - Sue Grafton

Kinsey is quite a character.
This series focuses on her, she is a private investigator, and this is not only an intro to her but her first case. What a case it is too. So many possibilities and unanswered questions... intrigue, more murder and quite a sexscapade!
Would I call this novel brilliant, no, but I can see what sparked the love of this series. I definitely want more!
I want to know what Kinsey will be up to next.... will it be taking off from where this left off? I hope so.
I bought this one on the day of the authors' passing. I'm so glad I did too, and now I see exactly what the hype was about.

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2019/03/a-is-for-alibi-by-sue-grafton-11.html
review 2019-03-05 21:18
The Perfect Alibi
The Perfect Alibi - Phillip Margolin

The Perfect Alibi has a great protagonist in Robin Lockwood. She's interesting, tough, and doesn't settle for the easy answer. We start with a rape case that seems pretty cut and dried, but things aren't always exactly as they seem, and given the length of the book, I did expect things to go off the rails. What I didn't expect was for this story to take so many different paths. We have conspiracies, murders, rape, and misconduct all happening in rapid-fire succession and with the number of characters introduced, it all becomes convoluted. Some things do tie in together, but a lot of it is closer to degrees of separation than anything tied together - A guy goes to prison for rape, his lawyer may or may not be tied to a murder, the DA isn't the most ethical and might have reasons to want the lawyer out of the picture, then we have a mysterious bad guy lurking around for completely unrelated reasons. That's just the tip of the iceberg in this one, and the only thing that everything seems to have in common is that Robin is involved with most of it in one way or another. The author does tie everything up in the end, but the middle goes down so many avenues that it's all just more distracting than anything else. The book had the potential to be a great story with the twist in the rape case and a less than likable guy behind bars for the crime, one who may or may not be guilty. As it stands, there is just too much going on and much of it is way over the top. This one could certainly have done with a bit of the less is more adage. The saving grace of the story for me is Robin. I did enjoy reading how she figured things out, and I liked her self-assurance and willingness to go the extra mile.

review 2019-01-06 11:58
Alibi for a Corpse - Elizabeth Lemarchand

The rural community of Twiggadon (2 cottages,a"manor"house,a farm and a car dump) is startled by the discovery of a skeleton in the boot of a car. Scotland Yard is called in and D.I. Pollard and Sergeant Toye are sent to Northamptonshire to assist the local constabulary. The main problem is the identification of the victim (this was written in the sixties so no DNA,no digital database...) and the determination of the cause of death. After some solid detection work,with the help of the local constables, landlords and other inhabitants of the surrounding villages, one after the other suspect is cleared. Finally there is only one left but most of the evidence is circumstantial so they have to find a creative solution to capture their culprit...

Although written in the sixties, it has a Golden Age aura. Probably village life, small police stations and any absence of coarse language or behaviour (barring murder) ensures this atmosphere but that is fine by me!

review 2018-01-25 17:25
An Alphabetical Read-Together!
A Is for Alibi - Sue Grafton

Can you believe that I had never read any of the Kinsey Millhone books? Pretty much everyone can probably recognize that mystery is far and away my favorite genre, right? And yet, somehow, I had managed to studiously avoid reading a single one of Grafton's wildly popular and incredibly long series about California P.I. Kinsey Millhone.

I think this is because somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I had become convinced that this series was very similar to the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum mysteries (it's probably because of the title conceit - Grafton uses the alphabet, Evanovich uses numbers). About ten years ago (maybe more, it's hard to remember) I read about 10 Stephanie Plums in about 10 weeks, and then realized that they really did grate on my nerves, and that Grandma Mazur was an inadequate reason to continue subjecting myself to Stephanie's crotch quivers over Ranger/Joe. I looped Grafton in with this distaste.

Which is really too damned bad, because at least this first book, while brisk and entertaining like Evanovich's books, does not possess the thing that got on my last nerve about Stephanie, which is my ultimate dismissal of any possibility that she would last more than one book without getting murdered. Stephanie Plum is TSTL. Kinsey Millhone is not.

So, I am pleased to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Grafton's prose is clean, the mystery, while a bit overly convoluted, is realistic enough that I did roll my eyes so hard that they broke, and the Kinsey is a likeable protagonist.

I was pretty sure that Obsidian Blue was a fan of the series, so when I decided to dive in, I asked her if she wanted to join me for a read-along in the tradition of our Poirot Project and our failed attempt at co-reading the Prey books, which just resulted in us having a vomit fest. Hopefully this one will be more successful! It's a reread for Obsidian, and a new read for me! We've not set a specific pace, and it makes sense to just let things unfold as they will!