logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Adventure
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-12-12 17:32
Secrets in Death by J.D. Robb
Secrets in Death - J.D. Robb

Lieutenant Eve Dallas is in one of her husband's bars, having a drink with a colleague, when a notorious gossip journalist stumbles from the bathroom and collapses. COD: knife would to the brachial artery.

It turns out, the gossips journalist had a side business—blackmail, so it must've been a mark that did her in. The only problem is finding out the correct culprit.

A decent story, yet nothing substantial to write home about. Dead bodies weren't piling up, so it wasn't a serial, and the danger and urgency was extremely low, the investigative process into the blackmail business wasn't really surprising in terms of what they dug out, I couldn't really bring myself to care about the victim and all her victims, the killer was predictable, and the pacing was very spotty.

The second murder was definitely overkill, and it felt like the story ran a little too long, slowing the tempo even more.

A solid story, but nothing out of the ordinary.

review 2017-12-11 09:51
Echoes in Death by J.D. Robb
Echoes in Death - J.D. Robb

Eve and Roarke are returning home from a party, when a naked, shocky and covered-in-blood woman walks into the street. After taking her to a hospital, Eve goes to investigate, and finds the woman's husband dead in a blood-spattered bedroom, with various pieces of art missing throughout the house, and the three safes empty.

Digging deeper, Eve discovers a similar crime (only without the dead husband) has happened before. Twice. And she knows it'll happen again...

I felt like I read this story before. Formulaic, template-y, plodding, and rather dull. The crime didn't spark particular interest in me, and the investigative process was little better, since it focused mostly on the procedural and drone work, without a palpable sense of urgency or danger.

review 2017-12-08 16:30
Magical Children’s Adventure – The River Keepers by Michael F Stewart @MichaelFStewart
The River Keepers - Michael F. Stewart

The fabulous cover for The River Keepers by Michael F Stewart is done by Martin Stiff. Great job, Martin.

I love when a cover depicts the story inside and Martin’s cover was only the first step drawing me into the adventure.

The River Keepers

Goodreads  /  Amazon

MY REVIEW

I had read A Cold Dark Place by Michael F Stewart and loved it, so when Michael offered me a copy of The River Keepers for review, I snatched it up and began to read.

I love that the adventure is in their own backyard. So…after your children read this, you may see them outside, looking…

Natasha and Teagan are sisters. Actually, they are more than that. They are twins, mirror opposites.

A freak storm. A downed tree. What’s that I see?

At eleven years old they are off on an adventure that leads them to research and learning, getting lost in the magic and growing in ways they never could have foreseen. Their adventures will not only change their lives, but their parents too.

I love how Michael slips a little science and ecology into the story in a way that is sure to intrigue everyone. I love when there is a lesson to be learned and it is wrapped up in a wonderful and entertaining tale, sending a subtle message to all who read it.

A skunk, a mouse, a frog…what would it be like to walk and hop in their footsteps?

You will never look at critters…or gnomes…the same way again.

When the skunk sprayed…I laughed out loud.

When the mouse squeaked…I cringed in fear.

Michael F Stewart has created a magically wonderful adventure that is suitable for all ages. To all you adults out there…let your inner child run wild!

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  5 Stars

Read more here.

MY MICHAEL F STEWART REVIEWS

A Cold Dark Place

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/magical-childrens-adventure-the-river-keepers-by-michael-f-stewart-michaelfstewart
review 2017-12-07 15:11
Brotherhood in Death by J.D. Robb
Brotherhood in Death: In Death - J. D. Robb

Dennis Mira walks into the brownstone he shares with his cousin intent on raising hell, since the cousin wants to sell the house no matter what. But Mr. Mira obviously interrupts something shady, since his cousin is sitting in a chair, bruised and bloody, and Dennis gets a whack on the head for his trouble. When he comes to, his cousin is gone, someone has taken the security feed...And Dennis calls his wife, asking her to bring Eve.

What looks like a missing person's case, soon turns into murder, when Edward Mira is found back in the brownstone, naked, tortured and hanged, and the murder investigation will force Eve to uncover a decades-long conspiracy that will awaken her own demons.

An intense, intriguing, and gripping tale of entitlement, privilege, nightmares and pain. I agreed wholeheartedly with Eve on this one—the right payment would've been a lifetime of suffering; the payment received was too mild, and didn't really help the victims, quite the opposite.

Yet, there were lighter elements thrown into the mix, to keep the book from going too dark and twisted. We got a longer and heftier glimpse into Dennis Mira's personality—his compassion and quiet nature were almost palpable as he comforted Eve. No wonder she has a crush on him, who wouldn't.
There was also a nice little scene between Eve and Peabody discussing partnership and friendship, and Eve and Roarke's relationship and bond continue to fascinate and inspire.

A solid, "meaty" story that will make you contemplate the difference between right and just, vendetta and justice.

review 2017-12-05 17:18
Wonderment in Death by J.D. Robb
Wonderment in Death (In Death Series) - J.D. Robb,Susan Ericksen

A young woman walks into her brother's apartment, stabs him in the chest with a pair of shears, and jumps off the balcony. It looks like a regular murder/suicide, but people who knew the girl, keep repeating she wouldn't hurt her brother, so it's up to Lieutenant Eve Dallas to figure out what happened.

This is one of those short stories/novellas, you wish were turned into a full-length novel. There was just so much there to explore, from the Alice in Wonderland theme to the possibility of mind-control through drugs and suggestion.
Add to it a deliciously mad villain and you get quite a potent combination.

The way it played out, on the other hand, came across as slightly rushed and pretty lucky investigation-wise. Still, a pretty solid story with the always solid cast.