logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Adventure
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-21 22:54
5 Out of 5 Stars for Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel
Waking Gods - Sylvain Neuvel

~ABOUT THE BOOK~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a child, Rose Franklin made an astonishing discovery: a giant metallic hand, buried deep within the earth. As an adult, she’s dedicated her brilliant scientific career to solving the mystery that began that fateful day: Why was a titanic robot of unknown origin buried in pieces around the world? Years of investigation have produced intriguing answers—and even more perplexing questions. But the truth is closer now than ever before when a second robot, more massive than the first, materializes and lashes out with deadly force.

Now humankind faces a nightmare invasion scenario made real, as more colossal machines touch down across the globe. But Rose and her team at the Earth Defense Corps refuse to surrender. They can turn the tide if they can unlock the last secrets of an advanced alien technology. The greatest weapon humanity wields is knowledge in a do-or-die battle to inherit the Earth . . . and maybe even the stars.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was a re-read/listen on audio as a refresher for my e-ARC of Only Human.  And also...because I love this series in Audio format. My eARC of Waking Gods review can be seen here. My review of Sleeping Giants (the first book in the Themis Files) can be seen here.

The Themis Files is freaking amazing...this pic kind of says it all.

An easily conceptualized science fiction series infused with mysterious alien elements and plenty of wtf and omg moments thrown in.  Seriously, that ending…I'm so psyched to see where this series is going with the 3rd installment.  I'm fairly certain I'll be starting it soon.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 5/5

Originality~ 5+/5

Ending~ 5/5 Cliffhanger~  YES!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ Love these covers!

Narration~5++  Absolutely amazing, full-cast narration rocks.

Series~  Themis Files #2

Setting~ Earth

Source~ Audible Audiobook

review 2018-02-20 21:42
Book Review of Fountain of Secrets (The Relic Seekers Book 2) by Anita Clenney
Fountain of Secrets - Anita Clenney

A relics expert with a nose for mystery is torn between her sexy billionaire boss and her hot bodyguard. Each would die to save her...and win her heart.

Kendall Morgan puts her sixth sense back to work in the second book of the Relic Seekers series, divining the history and location of ancient relics. Her boss, the gorgeous billionaire Nathan Larraby, sends her to Italy to safeguard a priceless treasure belonging to the Protettori, an ancient order of monks who guard four powerful relics that Nathan believes may be the cure for his dark curse. He also sends brooding mercenary Jake Stone to watch Kendall’s back—although her back isn’t all Jake has his eye on.

Nathan joins them, and all three tumble into a labyrinth of defenses created by the monks to protect their treasures, including the Fountain of Youth. They find themselves in England on the trail of the legendary King Arthur, who along with the Reaper, seems mysteriously connected to the Protettori. Sparks fly and bonds are tested as Kendall and Nathan’s pasts are revealed and Jake’s becomes even more mysterious. The trio must stay one step ahead of the mysterious Reaper if they want to survive.

Fountain of Secrets twists and turns through the shadows of myth and reality as Kendall races to uncover the Protettori’s secrets and fight her growing attraction to her boss and her bodyguard.

Review 4*

This is the second book in The Relic Seekers series. I loved it!

Kendall Morgan is a wonderful character. However, I sometimes wanted to shake some sense into her. She works for a billionaire as a relic finder. She has a special gift that allows her to track down, as well as know things about, the artifacts she procures for her boss. When her boss, Nathan Larraby, hires her to locate four powerful relics, little does she realise the danger she will face. Not just from Nathan's reclusive nemesis known only by the name of Reaper (as in Grim), who is also after the artifacts, but from her attraction to her co-worker, Jake Stone.

This is an urban fantasy romance with a twist. I started reading the story and was instantly hooked. The story is told through the view points of Kendall and Jake for the most part, but as it progressed, other characters, namely Nathan, also has his say.

I found myself on a roller coaster of emotion as the story unfolded. I enjoyed getting to know the characters better and we are introduced to quite a few new ones.

This story sees the trio thrown into danger as they uncover more secrets from the secretive Protettori, and unravel the secrets hidden in their own pasts. It continues from the end of book one. Jake and Kendall grow closer together and consummate their attraction, and Nathan finds out that the changes he is experiencing is linked to an event in his past. They also uncover a mysterious connection between the Protettori, King Arthur, and the fountain of youth. This sees them travelling from Italy to England in an attempt to find the lost fountain of youth, fabled to give anyone who drinks from it not an immortal life but a longer one. The mystery and suspense kept me reading until I'd finished the book. However, I was a little disappointed that the relationship between the three didn't develop as much as I thought it could have. There is definite chemistry between the three; Jake and Nathan not so much, but they both have feelings for Kendall. I could see the potential for a threesome, but the author seems to have shied away from this aspect. Perhaps they will get together in the third book? I guess I'll just have to read it and see. The book ends in a cliffhanger and I am now looking forward to reading The Lost Chalice as soon as possible.

Anita Clenney has written an intriguing paranormal romance full of action and adventure. I love her fast paced writing style and the flow is wonderful. I would definitely consider reading more books by this author in the future, and there is a high probability that I would add her to my favourite authors list too.

Due to the above mentioned scenes of a sexual nature (which are not explicit), as well as some violence, I do not recommend this book to young readers. However, I highly recommend this book if you love paranormal/supernatural romances/romantic suspense/urban fantasy/action/adventure or myths and/or legends genres. - Lynn Worton

review 2018-02-18 11:34
The Well of Youth: The Last Prophecy Series 1 - E.J.Dawson

Although this is listed as a fantasy story it is much more an adventure story. True, the story is set in an imaginary world but it is a very recognisable one. Professor Holloran went missing when he left on a mission to follow some ancient texts referring to a well of youth, allegedly giving eternal life to the lucky drinker of this magical water. So the government sends out a dashing female captain, the professor's favourite student Andy and another scholar named Osewyn to find both the professor and the well. What follows is an adventure that features a marvellous ship called Juggernaut, an encounter with a Kraken,pirates,ice covered landscapes, huskies and colourful characters. This is the first in the trilogy and as said before, it is a great adventure story.

review 2018-02-17 14:00
The Sky is Yours by Chandler Klang Smith
The Sky is Yours - Chandler Klang Smith

This book fits into so many genres: dystopia, fantasy, science fiction, and I could add more. This is definitely found this interesting and there was a lot going on. Definitely recommend this to anyone looking for something different then the normal. This is definitely intended for adults.

In this we a have a city that is clnstantly being terrorized by two dragons. The dragons have been targeting this city for a very long time. Some people have fled, others have chose to stick it out. In this world the wealthy are “safe” in their fancy homes in the outskirts of the city. In the city it is constant chaos not only because of the dragons, but also gangs.

I dislike all three of the main characters, but i think it is supposed to be this way.

There is so much in this book I seriously wonder why it wasn’t a series instead of a single installment.

ABOUT THE AITHOR:

Chandler Klang Smith is a graduate of Bennington College and the MFA Creative Writing Program at Columbia University. Her new novel THE SKY IS YOURS is now available from Hogarth/Crown. She lives in New York City.

Amazon US

book provided by Blogging for Books

review 2018-02-14 19:17
Treasure Hunting for the City of Gold by Carolyn Arnold @Carolyn_Arnold
City of Gold (Matthew Connor Adventure Series) - Carolyn Arnold

Carolyn Arnold can sure spin a tale and I am very eager to hunt for the City of Gold.

Amazon  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

I love treasure hunting and am very excited to travel to South America to search for the Lost City of Gold with Carolyn Arnold.

Matthew was the reason Cal was the Indiana Jones type, a modern day treasure hunter. An adrenaline junkie and thrill seeker. Danger is part of his game.

Matthew, and his friends, Cal and Robyn…could danger have followed them home?

Sophie has ‘feelings’ and they are not good ones.

Have you heard of the Lost City of Gold? Carolyn Arnold made me curious enough, I had to Google Patiti, Bolivia and El Dorado. Check it out for yourself.

Due to circumstances beyond their control, their journey is thrown together, with less research and planning than the other adventures they had been on.

Danger looms from more than the jungle.

She came from his past and all their lives are on the line.

A cross between Indiana Jones and the Lost World, without the dinosaurs, add a kidnapping, and a lot of action and adventure in the jungle and I find it impossible to go wrong with City of Gold by Carolyn Arnold. I loved the book and I am super excited to have my hands on the next adventure in the series, The Secret of the Last Pharaoh.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of City of Gold by Carolyn Arnold.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

READ MORE HERE.

MY REVIEWS FOR CAROLYN ARNOLD

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/treasure-hunting-for-the-city-of-gold-by-carolyn-arnold-carolyn_arnold