logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Adventure
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-18 19:19
Dangerous Spirits (Spirits #2)
Dangerous Spirits - Jordan L. Hawk

I don't have much to say about this one. It was fun, and the ghost story was less obvious than in the first book, but I still figured it out way before the characters did and it still follows all the usual tropes. Henry does a stupid thing at the beginning of the book and then lies about it for the next 75% of it. Vincent is also holding things back, so all the relationship angst is based on them not talking or trusting each other. I did like the background that we get about Vincent and Lizzie and their mentor Dunne, and the climax was sufficiently tense. Overall though, this is pretty average.

review 2018-11-15 21:52
Maude March on the Run (Maude March #2) by Audrey Couloumbis
Maude March on the Run! - Audrey Couloumbis

The papers call Maude notorious. But 12-year-old Sallie knows her big sister didn't do the things the stories say . . . not on purpose anyway. In fact, she and Maude have made a fresh start and are trying to live on the up-and-up. But just when the girls are settling into their new life, Maude is arrested—and before you can say "jailbreak," the orphaned sisters are back on the run! In the sequel to the critically acclaimed The Misadventures of Maude March, Newbery Honor winner Audrey Couloumbis once again takes on a dizzingly fast, delightfully rowdy, and altogether heartwarming ride through the old west—proving that half the fun of any journey is the getting there.

Amazon.com

The saga of the March girls continues! Maude is now sixteen while little sister Sallie is twelve. They're still technically in hiding, and keeping their true identities on the DL proves to be a continuous struggle. Maude started insisting on taking back her womanly way of dressing while tomboy Sallie prefers to keep on with the menswear look they've been rocking. Maude potentially blowing their cover stresses Sallie out but she tries to keep her calm by keeping her nose buried in her beloved dime store novels (though now she reads them from a different perspective, having now lived the "novel" life herself).

My heart went out to him. I'd learned there was more to being a hero than the glory parts. The glory parts wore a little tarnish if you looked real close. It didn't make the hero any less of one.

To make matters even more complicated, local outlaw the Black Hankie Bandit has recently been apprehended and brought to trial in the girls' new town of residence. All the lawmen suddenly in the area has the March girls sweating a bit! At one point, Maude IS recognized at the diner where she works. She's arrested but Sallie and friends bust her out, forcing the sisters back on the run yet again.

Speaking of these adventures, this book includes a much more detailed map of the March sisters' travels than the last book offered. While I found the first book's actual adventure elements more entertaining than in this sequel, I feel this sequel offers more humor and as readers we get deeper into the emotional bond between Maude and Sallie. But seriously though, there are some really great one liners in this one:

Re: a gunfight: "The earlobe is a surprisingly messy place to get shot."

"Reputations are easier to pick up than put down."

"Things happen in this world that cannot be properly understood unless you were there in the midst of them."

"If the story won't make you cry, the spelling will."(Maude)

The feminist undertones are slightly stronger in Maude March on the Run than its predecessor. The novel as a whole spotlights Maude wanting to be her own boss while Sallie pushes to get the same level of respect as the boys around her. She points out how people only use the term "you girls" when someone wants to silence the girls' opinions or objections. Certainly important themes young female readers will benefit from experiencing! Hopefully these stories, historical fiction though they may be, will serve as a source of empowerment for the young female audience they draw in.

Plus, super cute telegram style dedication at the start of the book -- I've never seen anyone else do this before!

My review for Bk 1: Misadventures of Maude March

review 2018-11-14 02:52
Swashbuckling Adventure with an Enchanting Twist
Daughter of the Pirate King - Tricia Levenseller

Audience: Young Adult

Format: Audiobook

We're outnumbered. Outgunned. Seven of my men lie dead on their backs. Two more jumped overboard as soon as they saw the black flag of the Night Farer on the horizon.

- opening paragraph

Seventeen-year-old Alosa is not only the daughter of the Pirate King, but also a captain of her own ship, and a powerful fighter with more than a few tricks up her sleeve. She allows herself to be captured in order to complete a mission for her father - to find one-third of an ancient map which leads to a legendary treasure.

Alosa is a strong, smart, fierce fighter, and she has a secret which can bend any man to her will. I like her character, but she seems a bit cocky at times and I couldn't figure out why (until the reveal). I love that Riden (the first mate of the pirates who unwittingly take Alosa prisoner) is clever enough to see through most of Alosa's tricks. Their rivalry makes it impossible for them to even imagine liking each other, but they can't deny they are both clever and strong-willed.

Alosa is easy to root for. Her relationship with Riden sometimes seems a certain disaster and other times seems meant to be. This book is well-written, exciting, and filled with action and unexpected twists. Even during the last battle, things happen that you won't see coming.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a high seas adventure with a strong female lead - young adults and adults too.

review 2018-11-13 12:53
Crave the Heat by Marnee Blake
Crave the Heat - Marnee Blake

***ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley***

Dak Parrish has family issues. That's what he'd jumped at the opportunity to come back to Oregon to fight fires—his father, mother and little brother live on the reservation nearby. While his mother appears not to want to have anything to do with him, his father makes an impromptu visit, blackmailing Dak into helping an arsonist investigator look into suspicious fires...A prickly female investigator that quickly gets under Dak's skin...

Like its predecessor this story also didn't bring much to the table. The characters were bland (although the heroine was slightly too bitchy for my taste), the suspense had its moments, but the final reveal (without much motive behind it, or a worthy resolution) left everything to be desired, the pacing was plodding...

Another puffed-rice-cake equivalent.

review 2018-11-11 15:16
Sometimes the simplest of messages can mean so much...to me this story is all about its message...
Sky in the Deep - Adrienne Young

๏ ๏ ๏  Book Blurb ๏ ๏ ๏

Part Wonder Woman, part Vikings—and all heart.

Raised to be a warrior, seventeen-year-old Eelyn fights alongside her Aska clansmen in an ancient rivalry against the Riki clan. Her life is brutal but simple: fight and survive. Until the day she sees the impossible on the battlefield—her brother, fighting with the enemy—the brother she watched die five years ago.

Faced with her brother's betrayal, she must survive the winter in the mountains with the Riki, in a village where every neighbor is an enemy, every battle scar possibly one she delivered. But when the Riki village is raided by a ruthless clan thought to be a legend, Eelyn is even more desperate to get back to her beloved family.

She is given no choice but to trust Fiske, her brother’s friend, who sees her as a threat. They must do the impossible: unite the clans to fight together, or risk being slaughtered one by one. Driven by a love for her clan and her growing love for Fiske, Eelyn must confront her own definition of loyalty and family while daring to put her faith in the people she’s spent her life hating.

๏ ๏ ๏  My Review ๏ ๏ ๏

While this story's message is a well-known one but, it's still an important one.  The reviews for this are all over the place, some loved and some did not even like.  I obviously really liked it, maybe possibly loved it, even.  Some said it was cliché, and not true to the Viking heritage...I didn't feel that way at all (not that I'm super knowledgeable about Viking heritage).  I believe if you go into this thinking that is Viking-inspired and not true Viking, you won't set yourself up for disappointment.

Maybe, it was the narration that made me so invested in this story...the narration is excellently done, after all.  Maybe it's the fact that it is a stand-alone...I do love stand-alone's.  I think it's both of these things actually...plus the vivid writing and I seriously loved Fiske, and truly loved Eelyn and Fiske together.   éé

๏ ๏ ๏  MY RATING ๏ ๏ ๏

Theme or Tone⇝ 5/5
Flow (Writing Style)⇝ 4.7/5
Backdrop (World Building)⇝ 4.5/5
Originality⇝ 4.2/5
Ending⇝ 4.5/5 Cliffhanger⇝ Nope.  It's a stand-alone!
๏ ๏ ๏
Book Cover⇝  Amazing
Narration⇝ ☆5☆ for Khristine Hvam...I've always liked her.  She always does a powerful female character justice.
Setting⇝ Between the Aska and Riki Villages...The Mountains and the Fjord.
Source⇝ Audiobook (Library)