logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Agatha-Christie
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-05-26 17:51
Death in the Clouds by Agatha Christie
Death in the Clouds - Agatha Christie

Series: Poirot # 12

This was a weird little mystery, partly because it's 1935 and Hercule Poirot is flying on an commercial airliner or aeroplane. It was also interesting to read about a commercial flight from back then and how the plane was arranged. I was initially a little confused because the diagram at the beginning referred to a "rear car" and I had a weird picture in my head of interlocking pieces of an airplane like a train and wasn't entirely sure I was correct about them being in a plane for a few pages. But they were.

A murder occurs during the flight when a woman is mysteriously killed by a poison dart that no one witnesses. Poirot is on the flight but too incommoded by air sickness to be paying much attention to anything, so he feels that he has to investigate afterwards to clear his name (some people on the inquiry jury apparently suspected him just because he was a foreigner).

I didn't see the end coming and I quite enjoyed the book, but the whole thing was just a little outrageous.

I read this for booklikes-opoly square #29 - The Monorail since it "involves travel by air". At 253 pages, this gives me $3 for my bank, so my balance is now $95.

Previous update:

63%

review 2017-05-24 20:49
The Secret of Chimneys
The Secret of Chimneys - Agatha Christie

I really enjoyed reading The Secret of Chimneys, eventhough the plot is incredibly convoluted and the racism, expecially in the beginning of the book, is staggering. There are political intrigues, killed monarchs, a mysterious manuscript, a jewel thief mastermind, international affairs and the big country estate called chimneys, where all the different characters met up and all those story lines are coming together.

My biggest issue with this book is that exactly one specific character happens to be present at Chimneys by sheer luck and everything depends on this character in the end. I´m quite capable of suspending my disbelief, but I have a hard time with this, since everything depends on this one chance encounter. And since Christie seems to be infatuated with that specific character, the other characters aren´t allowed to shine (by that I mean specifically Inspector Battle).

It´s not my favorite Christie, but it´s been an enjoyable read and as of now Christie is my go-to-author for comfort reads. I really love reading her books,eventhough there might be flaws in some of them.

I´ve read this book for the Frontierland 2 square for Booklikes-opoly and people get shoot in this one. A perfect fit.

Page Count: 400 pages

Money earned: $3.00

review 2017-05-19 03:51
Sparkling Cyanide
Sparkling Cyanide - Agatha Christie

It didn't take long to get completely absorbed in this one. And while I ended up being--at least partially--right about who the guilty party was (though completely and totally wrong about motive), Ms. Christie had me doubting myself pretty much right away.

I also didn't realize this was the fourth in the Colonel Race books, but fortunately, this definitely stands alone.

review 2017-05-12 06:31
At Bertram's Hotel
At Bertram's Hotel - Agatha Christie

I grew up with Agatha Christie the way some people grew up with the Bible; she was a constant presence in our house.  Being a contrary child, that means I'd read everything except Christie.  Mild guilt about this while I was in my 20's had me picking up the Miss Marple short stories (minimal commitment, you see).

I gotta say, while I could understand the attraction, I didn't understand the devotion.  Miss Marple was smart and the mysteries were great, but the abuse of village parallels was too much.  Towards the end,  I was just yelling "just say what you mean you old bat!"

Which is why it's now very many years later and, with few exceptions, I still haven't read most of Christie's work, even though I've been slowly accumulating them.  When my current booklikes-opoly square required a book set between 1945 and 1965, At Bertram's Hotel was just about the only book I had that fit the bill.

So, here I am, finally reading my first full-length Miss Marple.  I'm happy to report only one village parallel!  And Miss Marple does more than just sit on a bench and knit; she's actively eavesdropping and inventing mishaps to get closer to people who are up to no good.  She felt like an active participant in the mystery, even if she wasn't really sleuthing and had no idea about what exactly was going on until the end.

But the book was generally a bit odd.  At 192 pages I should have had it read in a few hours; instead I kept falling asleep every time I picked it up so that it took me 3 days instead.  It wasn't boring; Christie is a master at pulling you into whatever setting she's cooked up and I quite enjoyed Bertram's Hotel, but the momentum was very slow to build and ultimately, what should have been a tidal wave of a story was more of a small surge: I felt the pull, but nothing so strong as to suck me in completely.

I also got the impression that Christie was rather fed up with Miss Marple when she wrote this, or maybe just feeling wistful herself about the way the world seemed to be changing rapidly around her.  I kept imagining Christie as Miss Marple; longing for a time when England, and by extension, her mysteries, were more elegant, well-mannered, and gracious.  Even though there would be at least 10 more books after this one, At Bertram's Hotel feels like a nostalgic look back by an author who's feeling her age.

So, not her best, but I'm betting it's nowhere near her worst; definitely more likeable than reading the Marple short stories back-to-back.

Total pages: 192

$$:  $2.00

review 2017-05-07 19:34
Poirot Investigates
Poirot Investigates - Agatha Christie

It seems I´m not a big fan of Agatha Christie´s short stories, since they are utterly forgettable and at least two of them didn´t make sense and I couldn´t be bothered to read them again.

The reason I give this collection a three star rating in the end is the witty banter relationsship between Poirot and Hastings. The more I read about Christies character (whether it being these two or Miss Marple), the more I love them.