logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Alyssa-Rose-Ivy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-01-21 21:18
Hamilton's Battalion: A Trio of Romances by Rose Lerner, Courtney Milan, and Alyssa Cole
Hamilton's Battalion: A Trio of Romances - Alyssa Cole,Rose Lerner,Courtney Milan

The Siege of Yorktown 1781. Colonel Hamilton has his army in place and is just obliterating the small town while awaiting for reinforcements. Two of the stories arise from the battlefield; the third is tied to the descendant of someone at Yorktown. They share their stories in letters and interviews with Eliza Hamilton as she writes her husband's biography after his death (roughly in the late 1810s and early 1820s).

Promised Land by Rose Lerner - 4 stars

Rachel faked her death to run away from her marriage and towards Washington's army. She meets up with her husband (one of Washington's spies) at Yorktown. I love a good "can this marriage be saved?" trope in historical romance and this one delivered. Both MCs are Jewish and the story really shined with the choice to have the MCs be of a religious minority; certain scenes that depicted how the Jews dealt with Jewish law and customs while also serving in the military were used to deepen their relationship. I thought the one sex scene was shoe-horned in and didn't add to the story, but by the time it happened I was already rooting for Rachel and Nathanial's HEA. This was my first time reading Lerner, but it won't be my last.

The Pursuit of.....(Worth Saga) by Courtney Milan - 4 stars

This novella falls third (or maybe #2.5) in the Worth Saga series, but you don't have to read the first two books to understand what is going on in this story. John Hunter is an ex-slave (ran away from his master, then returned to rescue his sister and mother) living in Rhode Island when the call for black men to enlist in Washington's army comes with an entitlement to freedom papers after the war. John's sister is married to enslaved man, so to keep her man at home while also earning his brother's freedom papers, John enlists in his stead. At Yorktown, he meets British Lt Henry Latham (see post from last week). John helps Henry escape from the British army; in return, Henry accompanies John on his way back to Rhode Island and his family. I love road trips, although this one is longer due to being on foot. There is stinky cheese, the sexual politics and morality of slavery, plus actual courting after John is reunited with his family and Henry goes back to Britain. I loved John and Henry, and seeing them as older men (thirty or so years after the HEA) was a real treat. The Milan magic is in full force here.

That Could Be Enough by Alyssa Cole - 4 stars

This novella ties into another of Cole's stand alone novellas, Be Not Afraid (from the anthology For Love and Liberty). In this novella, Andromeda Stiel (granddaughter of Elijah and Kate Sutton from Be Not Afraid) visits The Grange in her grandfather's place to give his story of serving under Hamilton (both in New York and Yorktown) to Eliza. It is at The Grange that Andromeda meets Mercy Alston, the maid and secretary for Eliza. I finally get a Boston marriage-style HEA! This is the shortest of the stories, as there is no military action or duties to add to the story. It also has a mostly fade to black sex scene.

I gave a half star more because of the authors' notes found in the back of the book. The authors tell the readers where they got their inspiration (each acknowledged Lin-Manual Miranda and his show) and historical research, plus what drove them to put the project together in the first place.

review 2017-11-15 14:48
Hamilton's Battalion: A Trio of Romances - Courtney Milan,Alyssa Cole,Rose Lerner

I picked up the book for Milan, but also, Hamilton! Three charming stories that explore three different couples with different connections to the the war. All three of these do what I love most in an historic setting: create a realistic scenario, but focus on characters who are traditionally overlooked: Jews in the Revolutionary war, slaves and freedmen of color, and the ways in which women serve both in uniform and not during wartime. And also, three different but concordant pictures of Eliza Hamilton and her great work.

Personal copy

review 2016-08-23 14:58
Book Review: Hunt By Alyssa Rose Ivy
Hunt (The Grizzly Brothers Chronicles Book 1) - Alyssa Rose Ivy

Painfully neutral is the only way I can describe how I feel about this book, which is beginning to become a theme with books by this author. I enjoy her writing style and the plot wasn't bad, but I still can't bring myself to love this book.

I very much enjoyed Mara as a character. I liked that she was headstrong, took everything into consideration and that she didn't jump into anything on a whim. Being in her head while she was questioning herself over Ian, for example, was very entertaining. I also liked that she didn't get on the mate bandwagon after a full two days of meeting Ian.

Ian was your basic shifter: possessive, arrogant and all around nice guy until you made him angry. I don't consider him anything special and I didn't necessarily dislike him, but he wasn't very memorable.

When things were finally picking up and getting interesting the book ended. I don't consider it a major OMG-I'll-Die-If-I-Don't-Know-What-Happens-Next cliffhanger because I wasn't really connected to the characters. I won't lose any sleep over it, is the conclusion I've come to. I will be picking up the next book just for the 'fun' of it when it gets released. I'd also like to mention that I would like to see a spin off of some kind for Ian's brothers and what happens when they get mated.

My Favorite Quotes:

"There is something soothing and healing about silent, dark nights."

"I didn't believe in luck; I believed in fate. It was both far more  dangerous and far more believable."

"Love can come in a lot of different packages."

review 2016-07-19 16:04
Book Review: Lost (Allure Chronicles #3) By Alyssa Rose Ivy
Lost (The Allure Chronicles Book 3) - Alyssa Rose Ivy

* This review may contain spoilers for Books #0.5 - 2.

This novel was surprisingly enjoyable when considering my opinions of the last few books in this series. I still did a lot of skimming, especially in the Owen chapters. They were so boring. It only started getting interesting after the Drago showed up, but by then I only had a few chapters left because the book was almost at it's end. There's also a cliffhanger thrown in for good measure. This one isn't as bad as the one in the second book, but it is still a cliffhanger.

I really liked the emotionless Daisy. She was a far more interesting and entertaining character that way. I liked how blunt and to the point she was. With the exception being thinking about Owen, because then she got so repetitive. I understand you lost your one true love, just don't remind me of all that you went through physically and emotionally every 5 pages.

I only remember Owen from the last few chapters because that's when the story fell into place. Before that it felt like one big filler. I would have been happy with a paragraph explaining what had happened with Owen and his group in the end, that way I would get more Daisy chapters.

I enjoyed Sol as a character. Even though the reader is barely introduced to him and 10 minutes later everything goes to hell. I wanted to know more about him and why he did what he did. I keep wondering what his true motivation was.

This was one of the better books in this series when you consider my love/hate relationship with it. I will be picking up the last book when it releases because I do want to know how this ends and I am a sucker for happily ever afters (which I hope is what the author is planning).

My Favorite Quotes:

"Sometimes in life the thing we want the most isn't what we're looking for."

"Doubting is negative. It means you've lost faith. But questioning is altogether different. It means you're thinking through a situation and making sure you agree with the steps being taken."

"Sometimes pain can borrow so deep inside a person that afterward they are no longer the person they were before."

review 2016-02-15 15:35
Seduction's Kiss by Alyssa Rose Ivy
Seduction's Kiss (The Allure Chronicles) - Alyssa Rose Ivy
Description

*Prequel novella to Lure (The Allure Chronicles #1)*

Never agree to a road trip to New Orleans with your roommate. At least not when your roommate is dragging you along while she reconnects with an ex-boyfriend. Possible consequences of failing to take my advice:

1) Unknowingly going out with a vampire stripper
2) Getting kidnapped by said vampire's nest mates
3) Falling head over heels for your winged hero

Believe it or not number 3 is the worst one, especially when no one believes you that he exists.

My Review

Roommate road trips are not good as long as it dosen't turn into a car accident....I Wouldn't mind running into a vampire...with one thing on his mind...well make that two...actually me & blood...I have always wanted to be immortal...this book wasn't to bad...Seduction's Kiss...I would say a vampire's kiss is a very Seductive one...Will definitely be reading more...Thanks to the Author for writing what you do...it's definitely appreciated :)

Star Rating