logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Amazon
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-06 06:44
Pretty good start to the trilogy!!!!
Enclave - Ann Aguirre

So I had my son pick 5 books off either my book shelf or the kids and this book was one of his books.

I thought it was good for the start of a series. Did it blow me away, no it didn't,  did it Suck? No it did not, but it was a interesting book and makes me want to read the next book in the series.

In the book the main girl character was Duece and the main guy character is named Fade. Out of the 2 Fade, which is a guy in case you didn't know. I thought he was the most interesting character to read about. I like the girl character Duece on, but she didn't blow me away. I didn't like her very much at all until the second part of the book. I didn't like how the young ones were called brats. The freaks, who the characters of Duece and Fade have to hunt and kill before they get killed by them.

It was interesting watching them having to hunt down these freaks. I can't remember tho if it was mentioned what exactly the freaks are and how they came about..

So anyways at first there below the ground but something happens and they both get banished, and then they go above ground. The first part of the book is setting up what is happening below ground and why those 2 characters are banished. And the second half is what's happening above the surface and the adventures they encounter along the way. Its not a spoiler because it's mentioned in the flap of the cover. The above ground parts are my favorite parts of the book.

It is a trilogy and I am going to read the next book in the series as well but not until probably July or August.

Next book I am going to start reading tomorrow is A Reaper at the gates, since Amazon screwed up and sent it out early.

review 2018-05-14 04:46
So freaking awesome and amazing and all types of feelings!!!!
A Torch Against the Night - Sabaa Tahir

Wow what a one hell of an amazing and fantastic ride. I just can't believe how much I love this series so far. I am so in love with Elias, and watching him suffer all the time really hurts my heart a whole lot. Boy can't this guy freaking have a little bit of happiness in his life. I am sure A Reaper at the gate is going to freaking hurt or maybe even break my heart. Why what goes down with Elias in this book is a freaking mess. Darn it I want him to have some freaking happiness in his life.

Laia I love so much as well and I think she has grown up a lot in this book and I hope that continues .I didn't care for something that she did in this book but it had to happen in order for what she finds out about to make so type of impact. And it's interesting in regards to something that she is able to do in this book.

Helene I just don't freaking care about her at all and I don't know if I ever will like it. I don't like what she's becoming at all. I hate to admit this but I found myself staring to skip the pages that has her point of view in it. I really don't care about her family and what she is going through at all. I know that sounds harsh but I can't help how I feel about her. I really want to like her but every time she is the main point of view I like her even less than before.

Marcus I can't stand either but I understand him because he's just plain not a nice individual. Helena i just don't understand how can do the things she's doing. Before that certain thing happened towards the end of the book I could kind of understood but after that could place I just can't understand it. I really hope she is able to change my mind about her.

A lot of killings again in this book and a lot of things took place that were really important and interesting developments .I can't wait until next month for the 3rd book to be released

review 2018-05-10 03:18
An Ember in the Ashes - Sabaa Tahir

Just have to say I just loved the book a whole lot. I have a favorite new character in Elais. I love how real he is and how much he wants to do the right thing even if he gets killed because of it. I like Laia and at the beginning I didn't think I would like her at all. I am so happy that it didn't turn out that way. I am still not sure on how I feel about Helena. I don't hate her but so far I really don't have any feelings about her. I know I can't stand Marcus or Keegan at all.

I loved the book so much that I started reading A Torch against the night now. When I had two other books that I had planned ahead of this one. Definitely one of my favorite reads this year

review 2018-03-28 22:17
A pedestrian pastiche of a steampunk mystery
Affinity Bridge - George Mann

Fog-enshrouded Victorian London is hardly a safe city in this steampunk thriller.  A “revenant plague” runs rampant through the East End, turning the infected into decaying cannibals.  A mysterious glowing policeman is strangling people to death.  And an airship carrying fifty passengers crashes, yet the clockwork automaton piloting it has vanished without a trace.  To solve these crimes Scotland Yard turns to Sir Maurice Newberry, anthropologist turned Crown investigator.  With the aid of his assistant Veronica Hobbes he apples his intellect (and the occasional fist) towards untangling these mysteries and defeating the Empire’s enemies.

George Mann’s novel is a mystery that evokes the atmospherics of a familiar setting refreshed by its steampunk elements.  Yet the book is hampered by pedestrian writing that turns it into little more than a pastiche of familiar elements.  The plot itself is primarily a rush of events, with character development implied rather than undertaken.  The main protagonist comes across as a pale imitation of Sherlock Homes (must every Victorian detective be an opium addict?), while his relationship with his assistant seems to be little more than a Victorian derivative of the Mulder-Scully dynamic.  It all makes for a book that, while an entertaining read, is not one that has much to distinguish it beyond the many other works in the field.

review 2018-03-28 16:30
Why starving our way to health doesn’t work
Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea - Mark Blyth

This is very much a book of the moment, though this is partly a matter of luck. While Mark Blyth’s book was written in response to the emergence of austerity policies in 2010, its publication was nicely timed with the contemporaneous undermining of the key study by Carmen Reinhart and Kenneth Rogoff which was used to make the case for the necessity of austerity. Though Blyth’s book was written before the revelation of the study’s flaws, his more broader focus on the origins and development of austerity is no less powerful and damming.

Blyth’s book can be broken down into three parts. The first is an explanation of the recent debt crisis that has plagued the global economy. Here Blyth demonstrates that, contrary to much of the political rhetoric, this did not originate as a sovereign debt crisis but as a private debt crisis in the banking sector, one that became a sovereign debt crisis in a “bait and switch” as European states (and their taxpayers) absorbed the costs of fixing the problems created by the profligate and unwise lending policies of several European banks. Blyth then turns his attention to the history of the idea of austerity, which he sees as born out of a set of assumptions in classical economic theory that remained overly simplistic and underdeveloped. He concludes the book with an examination of the application of austerity as policy in recent history, showing how the examples of the past offer clear demonstration of its failure of austerity as a solution to economic crisis – and often end up making the problems worse rather than better.

All of this makes for a convincing argument against austerity as a response to economic downturns. Its effectiveness is aided by Blyth’s ability to walk the reader through the recent crises and untangle the underlying causes. While his use of economic jargon can make some of his arguments difficult to follow, overall he provides a clear and direct explanation of economic events. The result is a book that should be read by anyone seeking a better understanding not just of the concept of austerity and its misuse, but of the broader economic crisis we face and what brought us to this point.