logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Amazon
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-13 02:43
I Love Rhysand what a Freaking badass!!!!!!
[By Sarah J. Maas] A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses) (Paperback)【2017】by Sarah J. Maas (Author) [1865] - Sarah J. Maas

Really Loved this one so much, started it Sunday morning and finished it by Sunday night.

In the other review that I just did, I didn't mention how much I freaking loved Cassian, Nesta, AZ, Elain, and jusr all of Rhys's court. I also started to like Lucien a lot more, since he wasn't around Tamlin in this one. I am confused on whom I want Elain with, I am leaning more towards AZ, I just love Az and I don't think he gets the love that I feel he deserves. At first I thought that Az and Morrigan had a thing going, but since they don't, I just feel that Az will be more gentle with Elain, and I loved how he treats her in scenes they were together in. But to be fair Lucien didn't have much scene time with her. So maybe as the new series comes out and they get more time together, that could change and I will want Lucien with her, who knows.

Another character that was very intriguing and I wasn't sure about at first was Amren. I love what she was and what happened to her in the end. A very interesting turn of events. I really love the different courts we got to visit and how each court's differs from the other ones.

Tamlin I am still not really sure about, I don't know if I still can't stand him, but I know. I don't forgive him for all the crap that he put Feyre thought. But I hope we get to see more of him, and I wonder if there will be a story for him. I just don't know if I will ever read that story, but who knows.

Now my gosh do I love Rhys and Feyre so freaking much, they definitely belong with one another. I just think they flit perfectly together. I love that even when they were apart they weren't really. I can't believe how powerful Rhys was, but I guess I should have had some idea, but wow what he did to Tamlin after Tamlin did what he did, I was speechless, and then I was saying you go Rhys. And Feyre she just was a Freaking badass in this book. I love when something happened to one of her love ones, and what she did was just awesome. Of course she still did make a lot of stupid mistakes, but a lot of characters in order books as well as this book, have done stupid things as well.

The ending and what I first thought happened, made me so freaking sad, until I found out that it really didn't happen.

Things I didn't like about the book were really not big things that would make me lower my rating, like for example it was slow at times, and I wish the battle lasted longer. And that there were more excitement at times. I also need to mention the girls father, I was glad that  he was at least in the book for a tiny bit, and that he played apart in the battle.

I can't wait for the next book, which I have already preordered. I really want to know what happened after the ending of this book, and who is going to be the main characters in the next series.

review 2018-02-13 00:10
WoW what a book.
A Court of Mist and Fury - Sarah J. Maas

This weekend I finished both this book and the last one in the series, and what a hell of a ride it was. Will start with the review of this one, and then I will make another post on the last back.

In the first book I wasn't sure why readers didn't like Tamlim, because at first I thought they were so cute together. But after I finished reading it at looked back on their relationship, there were signs that things were going to happen to their relationship and that Tamlin was going to be the person to cause the conflict.

Now Rhys I knew from his and Feyre's first meet that something was going to take place between those two at a certain point. I always liked Rhys from the beginning, sure his was a really ass around her most of the time but those two when they were around one another still has amazing chemistry between them.

Now let's talk about this book, can I say I really hated Tamlin in this book, what he did to Feyre was just so freaking wrong and I am sorry but what he did to her just made me wish I could go into the book and knock some sense into him. I just don't understand why he thought what he did wasn't a bad thing to do to her or anyone for the matter. And when she was freed from that awful situation, I just wanted to give Rhys a really big hug, I would say kids but Feyre would kick my ass.

You could see the big difference between Tamlin's court and Rhys's court in the way they treat there people. I have to also mention that I love how Rhys got Feyre to start to read, oh boy those two just cracked me up.

I loved that Rhys wasn't trying to hold Feyre back, and how he didn't treat her like glass, and that she would break.. Tamlin I know he had an awful life but so did Rhys.

Feyre in the first book I wasn't sure about, I didn't know if I liked her or not. But boy did she kick some ass in this book. When she found out the secret Rhys was keeping from her I understand kind of why she was upset. But come on, would she have been able too handle that information at the time? No of course not, she was in love or though she was in love with Tamlin. I love that scene where they see one another after she left, and the whole scene between Feyre and Rhys.

The ending wow was that cray, cray, and what we thought happened and what was revealed by that certain individual was just freaking awesome!!!!! And what happened to Feyre's sisters was also crazy. Just loved this book so much.

review 2018-02-06 14:25
Review: Operation Hail Storm
Operation Hail Storm - Classroom Edition - Brett Arquette

Due to some unethical and TOS violating marketing this book caught my notice and I decided to take a look at it. Is this book truly as good as the author claims, and some glowing 5 star reviews assert?  Well, in addition to the spamming, and strange claims of being well suited for fans of very dissimilar books, it will probably not surprise you that more honest reviewers also state it is in serious need of good editing.

Looking at the Kindle Sample, so far the first 9 pages are one big Info Dump. *Snore*.

So far, the sketchy info we have about the two "girlfriends" of the high ranking North Korean official that are hanging out at his pool is that they're unbelievably interested in the eagle-but-we-know-it's-really-a-drone they see flying. Like, seriously, in between huge info dumps about this drone, it's mechanics and functioning, etc, these girls just keep repeating things like,

"Look at the pretty bird,"
"Oh, I see it," "Is it an eagle? I think it's an eagle!"
"I think it is an eagle,"
"Do you see the eagle, Mr. Kim?"
"Look, Mr.Kim. The eagle is right there."
"Do you see the eagle?" [Yes AGAIN...] "she asked Kim again."

Now, I admit, I'm not an expert in how nubile young "girlfriends" act and talk about when hanging out at the luxury pool of a powerful and wealthy man in what is a very poor country. But I really do expect this isn't it.

And, back to some unnecessarily detailed info dumping...

And then, "Understanding if he didn't look at the eagle, the women would continue to pester him,"

Are these "women" eight years old? Mentally challenged in some way? On drugs? Or maybe this guy has a fetish for ornithologists?

'"It's so beautiful," his girlfriend [inconsistent - as we're already told there are two of his "girlfriends" present, so...] said. "It must have a nest close to here. Around and around it goes. I've seen it every day for the last few days."'

Really, I'm shaking my head, sure, mention the bird, but this is really ridiculous and unbelievable behavior by women in this situation. I'm getting the impression the author here just wants the characters to serve the plot - which is calling attention to this "bird" (and talking about it on and on and on), and didn't put much thought into making these "girlfriends" believable as actual characters, or the situation of hanging out at this pool very believable. He's also insulting his readers, because he apparently thinks they are too stupid to notice something important unless he repeatedly hits them over the head with it.

So far, Mr. Kim has only grunted. Twice.

"Did you see it?" "Oh, wouldn't it be wonderful if you could just float on the air like that? No worries. No problems."

Mr. Kim laughs.

Now we get more telling and not showing.

(I'm bored.)

The First Chapter: A drone that is made to appear to be an eagle is flying above the estate of a North Korean official tasked with building a long range missile. The official and two of his "girlfriends" notice it. And pages and pages and pages of info dumping about this drone, and the hot water this guy will be in if he doesn't deliver.

That's it. (I'm still bored).

Ok, the eagle-really-a-drone is being shot at, and the drone operator says, "Don't those idiots know that the eagle is a protected species?"

Telling me he's an idiot since 1. only certain species of eagle are protected and 2. in the US. I suspect the author may have intended that to come off as sarcastic humor, but the way things are written here in context it doesn't come off that way. Probably in part because of a lack of providing important details like facial expressions and tone of voice.

"He'd been recruited by Hail because he was the winner of the X-Wing Fantasy Flight Game Contest."

I just rolled my eyes so hard I hurt myself.

I'm a gamer. I'm also a Sci-Fi reader. I know there's actually a place to put gamer-fantasy-fulfillment like this into a story and have a willing audience go with the author, in spite of this sort of thing being unbelievable and unrealistic.  That place is in some forms of Sci-Fi/Fantasy.  It doesn't suit a political thriller like this book is.  Here it simply feels so unrealistic it jars the reader out of the story.  This type of story depends upon sounding realistic and credible, making it sound believable, even when stretching what we currently have as far as present day tech.  This is one example of where this book fails in that regard.

Enter the woman team member, "Typically, she wore a dress that showed off her long legs. [Of course she does *roll eyes*] She was tall for an Asian woman, but she liked being tall. Tall, smart and sexy."

Excuse me while I hurl. Yeah, yeah, I get this is a "guy" story. Puke.

This woman is the member of a para-military team, on a para-military ship, in the middle of a para-military operation. Wearing a dress. Just, no. <= not gonna happen. A skintight, latex, catsuit would make more sense than a dress. Does this ship have an elevator? Because if she's using stairs or ladders to move between decks she's giving everyone a nice show, whether they want it or not. Maybe she doesn't care. *eyeroll*

Then of course she has to look down and check out her fingernail polish. For chipping. Ya know, just to look like she's cool and collected. Or, has her priorities seriously skewed. Again - No.

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps this woman just slept her way through MIT, because so far she cares mostly about looking sexy, showing off her legs, and the state of her manicure. Sure, those things have their place - but not in the middle of a para-military operation on board a para-military ship.

This is really, really, bad as far as female characters, who so far are either cardboard props just there to cry out "the bird! the bird!", or a book smart woman who clearly has zero common sense, and is so sexual a being she has to walk around on a para-military ship where the guys flop around in t-shirts, wearing sexy dresses so, I dunno, she can be oogled or something.

I'm wondering if the person who wrote this has ever met a woman, like, in actual real life.

One reader made fun of this comment, which is part of the narration, not a comment from a character:

"...but missile technology was complicated—damn near rocket science."

The sarcastic comment about this is well deserved, because of course missile technology is exactly rocket science.

Prior to his unceremoniously being removed from GoodReads for TOS violations, the author insulted this reader for not being able to recognize what he felt was obvious sarcastic humor.

Well, I have read the above in context and I can confirm it doesn't come off as sarcastic humor by the narrator.  It's rare for a book to have a narrator that breaks the 4th wall to give humorous asides to the reader. And when it's done it's both consistent and clear.  That this statement comes off as stupid, rather than a joke by the narrator, is a failure of the writing, not of the reader.

This book, so far, isn't the worst I've read, although that bar is really, really low, and it may have appeal for a male audience who like female characters to be out of male fantasy rather than reality, and enjoy prolonged and very detailed explanations and descriptions of numerous gadgets and weaponry. But, it's not that great, either.

I found the characterization to be shoddy to non-existent.  The writing is way too much telling not showing, with pages and pages of info dumping.  I understand some readers enjoy high tech stories with details about the gadgets, but that should be told organically to the story, and interspersed with the plot and the action.  Here the story grinds to a halt as we're provided a detailed lecture. It's incredibly boring, and very bad writing.  Particularly for an Action/Adventure/Thriller.

Don't like the marketing efforts for this one.  This author has been booted from GoodReads for spamming many users offering them this book for free.  In these spam messages he makes claims to it being similar to all sorts of dissimilar popular books, in the effort to entice readers.

After being booted from GoodReads this author continues his spam campaign by creating new accounts, sending spam to users, then deleting those accounts.  Rendering blocking useless, and making reporting to GR more difficult.

This author is also asking people to "like" positive reviews of his books, which is considered review manipulation and violates TOS.

Additionally, the $9.99 price is also way too high for a self-pubbed ebook.

review 2018-01-29 17:45
WOW This Book was Nothing Like I ever expected!!!!!!
Scythe - Neal Shusterman

So I read this book during the 24 in 48 readatoan. (Sorry I know I spelled that wrong.) I really loved the book so freaking much, that it was so hard for me to put down.

My favorite character was Rowan, wow what happens towards the end of the book just blew my mind, something that he did I just never thought he could ever do. That's all I am going to say, because I don't want to spoil things for readers that haven't read this book yet.

Now on to Citra, I really wasn't so into her at first, but she also does something at the end that I never thought she had in her. I just think towards the end she really started to grow up.

I really don't know what I would do if I had to decide who I would gleaned, or even how I would go about gleaning the individual, that I chosen. I would be afraid that I would let the power go to my head, but I really hope I would be strong and be merciful, in the way I would go about gleaning them.

I have the second book thunderhead, I will probably read that one in the next couple of months, after I read a few more that I have already planned to read.

review 2018-01-29 04:38
Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake #1)
Stillhouse Lake - Rachel Caine

CW: Gruesome details of murder victims

This story opened with a bang and didn't really let up from there.

Gina has a great life: perfect husband, 2.0 kids, house with white picket fence. Until she comes home one day to a nightmare and realizes that everything she though she knew was a lie: her husband is a serial killer.

Several years later, after spending life on the run from internet trolls and real crime sycophants and the families of her ex-husband's victims who want revenge any way they can get it, Gina's reinvented herself as Gwen, and her children also have new names. They're starting over in a quiet, idyllic lake town and while Gwen is paranoid about everything and everyone around her, she thinks they might just be able to put down roots here. Things are far from perfect, but for the first time she things just might have the possibility of getting better.

And then a body is found floating in the lake outside her home.

This was an interesting thriller that details just how hard it is to "disappear" in the age of internet, smart phones, GPS and social media. Gwen can't trust anyone with the secret of her previous identity, the one everyone hates without getting to know, but she does have to trust some people in order to keep fleeing when trouble gets too close. She's a woman who lives in a constant state of alert, and though she tries to shield her children from the worst of it, it still rubs off on them and affects them too. She sees hints of her ex-husband's detachment in her son and her own paranoia in her daughter. Though all her instincts are telling her to run, it makes sense why she decides that this time she's going to stand her ground.

The reactions of those around her also ring true and while some things do start become if not obvious then at least obviously suspicious, there's enough reason given to understand why Gwen isn't making these connections, even despite her paranoia. There are also enough red herrings to keep the reader guessing. I saw reviews that mentioned this ended in a cliffhanger - let me assure you that the main conflict that appears about halfway through the book is resolved in this book, but there's a last-minute development to hook you for the next book.