logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: An-Ember-in-the-Ashes
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2019-08-19 16:28
Review: A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes #2) by Sabaa Tahir
A Torch Against the Night - Sabaa Tahir

Set in a rich, high-fantasy world inspired by ancient Rome, Sabaa Tahir's AN EMBER IN THE ASHES told the story of Laia, a slave fighting for her family, and Elias, a young soldier fighting for his freedom.

Now, in A TORCH AGAINST THE NIGHT, Elias and Laia are running for their lives.

After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt the two fugitives as they flee the city of Serra and undertake a perilous journey through the heart of the Empire.

Laia is determined to break into Kauf the Empire s most secure and dangerous prison to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars' survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance at freedom.

But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies: the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene Elias s former friend and the Empire s newest Blood Shrike.

Bound to Marcus's will, Helene faces a torturous mission of her own one that might destroy her: find the traitor Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape...and kill them both."

4.5 ★

This book starts off right where we were left last book. So if it has been a while since you read book one it might be helpful to read a recap or something like that, because it throws you right back into it.

In this book we’re also getting Helene’s POV and I really liked that. She was a important character from book and now we get to know her better and see her thought which I really liked.

I wasn’t sure about her in the first book, but now I really do like her and feel for her. I think out of all of them she had the toughest journey. Laia….. umm I’m torn when it comes to her. Sometimes I can’t stand her and other times I feel bad for her. She definitely grows in this book but still sometimes it feels she is not sure of anything or herself. Sometimes she is like she doesn’t know anything and unsure and other times she almost seems overconfident. I think that was part of me not really likening her at times.

Elias, I liked him and he also had a rough time in this book, but I think he handled it pretty good…… for the most part. I’m super curious to see what will become of him.

I thought the beginning of this book was a bit slow but oh boy did it pick up, the last half of this book I read though in one sitting because I didn’t want to put it down.  This book also gave me emotional whiplash for sure. There are so many twist that will make your head spin. It’s filled with action, betrayal, shocking discoveries , heartbreak. The last few chapters were brutal not just the onslaught but also emotionally.

I honestly have to say though sometimes I had a Game of Thrones flashback   in some scenes.

Yes, there is romance but I don’t think it takes the foreground all that much. In some parts it is important but others not at all.

Overall I enjoyed this book a lot. I rate it 4.5 ★

Available NOW

Amazon *** B&N  *** Kobo

review 2019-08-15 15:44
Review: An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes #1) by Sabaa Tahir
An Ember in the Ashes - Sabaa Tahir

Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.

I finally got to this book that been sitting on my shelf forever and I’m so happy I did.  I really enjoyed this book, it was a bit different from what I thought it be but that made it even a bit better.

I really enjoyed this setting, its dark, twisted and cruel world they live in but it was fun to follow them and see how they will survive,  if they survive.

The first half was a bit slower as far as word building and character introduction but I actually in this case really enjoyed the slower pace. It didn’t give you the feeling of too much info dumping which was nice.

The book has duel POV, Elias and Laia , but we get an even bigger view into their world from each of them . Elias the soldiers and other view and Laia the slaves and some of the resistance, both are not pretty but fun to follow each and their journeys.

I really enjoyed the characters for the most part, I liked Elias right away, but Laia took a bit getting used to not sure why. But I ended up liking her. I also liked Helene very much, there were a few I wasn’t sure about and that I didn’t trust as much, and still don’t at the end but we shall see.

The romance I wasn’t sure what we get … a love triangle, love quadrangle or what….. I had some theories but that got squashed shockingly like a bug on the windshield.

There are some pretty good plot twists some will give you whiplash, some I saw coming others really surprised me.  We also get plenty of action and some heart breaking moments.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and I can’t wait to see what happens next.  This was a great first book into a new series that I really enjoyed.

I rate it 4 ★

Available NOW

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

review 2019-05-20 15:38
In den Fängen der Finsternis // A Reaper at the Gates!!!
 Elias & Laia - In den Fängen der Finsternis - Sabaa Tahir

German and english review (spoiler cause I will post the summary but my actual review is spoilerfree)

audible // Netgalley ebook ARC

Inhalt: Wo Leben ist, ist Hoffnung

Das Martialenimperium steht am Abgrund: Imperator Marcus überzieht das Land mit dem Blut der Unschuldigen, während Blutgreif Helena diese zu schützen versucht. Weit im Osten weiß Laia, dass sie den Nachtbringer aufhalten muss, und das ohne Elias. Denn Elias ist nun als Seelenfänger an die Zwischenstatt, das Geisterreich, gebunden. Dazu verdammt, einer uralten Macht bedingungslos zu dienen - auch wenn dies bedeutet, die Frau aufzugeben, die er liebt.

Meine Bewertung: Die Bücher werden besser und besser!!!

Die Serie wird mehr und mehr zu meiner absoluten Lieblingsserie. So so so verdammt gut. Der Schreibstil ist einfach so verdammt gut. Dann hab ich nebenbei auch das Hörbuch gehört und die Sprecher machen die Sache einfach so so so so gut.

Und die Charaktere. Sie sind inzwischen meine Babies. Außer Elias, ich werde mit ihm einfach nicht wirklich warm und das hat sich in dem Band nicht wirklich geändert. Aber ich liebe Laia, ich liebe Helena. Livia. Harper. Ich liebe die vielen verschiedenen Beziehungen zwischen all den Charakteren.

Alles in allem war das Buch wirklich unglaublich gut, ich hab ein bisschen gebraucht bis ich reingefunden habe, weil es schon eine Weile her ist seit ich das zweite Buch gelesen habe. Aber es war wieder voller Action, es war voll von Wendungen. Es war großartig!!!

***

Summary: Beyond the Empire and within it, the threat of war looms ever larger.

The Blood Shrike, Helene Aquilla, is assailed on all sides. Emperor Marcus, haunted by his past, grows increasingly unstable, while the Commandant capitalizes on his madness to bolster her own power. As Helene searches for a way to hold back the approaching darkness, her sister's life and the lives of all those in the Empire hang in the balance.

Far to the east, Laia of Serra knows the fate of the world lies not in the machinations of the Martial court, but in stopping the Nightbringer. But while hunting for a way to bring him down, Laia faces unexpected threats from those she hoped would aid her, and is drawn into a battle she never thought she'd have to fight.

And in the land between the living and the dead, Elias Veturius has given up his freedom to serve as Soul Catcher. But in doing so, he has vowed himself to an ancient power that will stop at nothing to ensure Elias's devotion--even at the cost of his humanity.

My review: These books keep getting better and better!!!

This series is slowly but surely becoming one of my favorites. So so so damn good. The writing was just incredible. I also listened to the audiobook while reading and the people reading did such an amazing job.

And the characters. They have become my babies. Except for Elias, I just don't like him that much, he's just not doing anything for me, and that didn't change with this book. But I love Laia, I love Helene. Livia. Harper. I love all the different relationships that these characters have.

All in all, I truly loved this book, it took me a bit to get into it, cause it feels like ages since I read the second book. But there was so much action, there were so many twists and turns. It was amazing!!!

<!-- Used for easily cloning the properly namespaced rect -->
show activity (+)
review 2018-07-30 20:27
An Ember In The Ashes- DNF at 102 pages
An Ember in the Ashes - Sabaa Tahir

You know, I used to feel really, really guilty about putting a book down before I had finished it. Like I owed the author something. But after suffering through way too many terrible books with one-dimensional characters and cliche plots, I learned I only owe MYSELF the respect of actually enjoying what I read.

This book, what I was able to read of it, was boring as crap. At first, I was okay with the characters, but the more you read, the more you realized they were absolutely lacking in any depth. Elias is just the straight-A, rich jock type with mommy issues, Laia is the pretty-not-pretty girl with no spine but a world of talents and no brain.

The world, which was billed as Rome-like, didn't feel Roman at all. In fact, I didn't feel much world building at all.

The names of the people in this book were like something from a children's book. The Martials, the military types. And the Scholars, the smart ones. Really?

The Resistance uses Laia as a spy to bring down the Empire. That's the point I quit because Laia, despite her parents supposedly being huge Resistance leaders, is an idiot. What well-oiled revolution is going to use a stray they just found in the sewers as their spy? It reeks of stupidity on all parts. The girl couldn't even say a sentence without stammering and she's being sent into the Commandant's quarters.

Oh, and there's lots of mention of rape. The Masks, the really "good" assassins, really like rape.

Is this what passes as literature? This book was so fucking hyped it's all I saw on my Instagram feed for months. God, I have got to learn to trust you guys here over pretty pictures on Insta. Those people take great pics of trash writing.

review 2018-05-10 03:18
An Ember in the Ashes - Sabaa Tahir

Just have to say I just loved the book a whole lot. I have a favorite new character in Elais. I love how real he is and how much he wants to do the right thing even if he gets killed because of it. I like Laia and at the beginning I didn't think I would like her at all. I am so happy that it didn't turn out that way. I am still not sure on how I feel about Helena. I don't hate her but so far I really don't have any feelings about her. I know I can't stand Marcus or Keegan at all.

I loved the book so much that I started reading A Torch against the night now. When I had two other books that I had planned ahead of this one. Definitely one of my favorite reads this year