logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Audiobooks
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-23 20:34
(Audiobook) Dracula - BBC Radio Dramatization
Dracula - Bram Stoker,Tom Hiddleston,David Suchet

As I mentioned in a previous update, this is an adaptation of Dracula that is much changed and much whittled down. The very bare bones of the original story are still here, but a lot is left out.

That being said, it's still an enjoyable listen, and the cast all give excellent performances.

However, if you're a Dracula purist, you might want to pass this one by.

review 2018-09-22 01:08
(Audiobook) Kill Creek
Kill Creek - Scott Thomas,Bernard Setaro Clark

I will let you all know right now, I will not be able to do this book justice. I probably shouldn't even be trying to review it this soon after finishing it, because my thoughts are all various versions of, "ASKDAFJSKDLALSKD!!"

Four horror authors are invited by a young wealthy man--who runs a website devoted to all things horror--to spend the night in the Finch House and have the interviews that occur during that time to be streamed live.

The authors include, Sam, who writes horror with relatable everyman type characters, Sebastian Cole, a horror legend, Daniel, who writes teen oriented horror with moral messages, and our lone female author, Moore, who writes violent horror with a sexual bent.

Accompanying the four authors to the house are Wainwright, the website owner, and Kate, who operates the cameras, and is also Wainwright's girlfriend.

The group survives their night at the house without any major happenings occurring, and they all return to their normal lives. It's at this point that the book truly becomes horrific in the best possible way. Things start happening and the tension grows and...I'm going to stop there for fear of spoiling things.

The characters are fully formed and well developed, so much so that I truly cared for them and about what happened to them, and that did make the book difficult to read at times, but that's what makes really well written horror books so good.

Oh...and the ending? Perfect.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Bernard Setaro Clark, and he was amazing!

review 2018-09-09 21:23
(Audiobook) An Uninvited Ghost

This is the second in a charming mystery series that I discovered last year during Halloween Bingo. The books center around Alison Kerby, a divorced single mother who owns/runs a guest house converted from a large, old Victorian House on the Jersey Shore. The house is also inhabited by Paul Harrison and Maxie Malone, two ghosts who were murdered in the house not long before Alison bought it. Alison, her 10 year old daughter, Melissa, and her mother can all see and communicate with Paul and Maxie. The events of the first book--Night of the Living Deed--revolved around discovering who killed Paul and Maxie.

The second book finds Alison hosting her first tour group of senior citizens, folks who signed on to visit the guest house in order to see spooky happenings. In order for Paul and Maxie to agree to provide said spooky happenings at certain times of the day, Alison agrees to help Paul investigate cases, even going so far as to get a PI's license.

Paul comes to Alison to ask her to help him investigate a case in which another ghost, Scott, believe he has killed someone.

Oh, and did I mention that Alison has also agreed to let the tv show "Down the Shore" (Guess which show that's alluding to!) film at her house?

All of this, and Amanda Ronconi's excellent narration, combine to create a highly entertaining and hilarious read.

I used this for the following square:

It's a good thing the square's description is this:

"any book that relates to bad luck, superstitions, including (but not limited to) black cats, ravens or crows, or the unlucky number 13, either in the title, series, book cover or page count."

Because while there is a black cat on the cover (which makes it eligible for the square), the kitty is only in one single scene in the whole book. Which makes me wonder why it's on the cover to begin with.

Additional squares this book would also fit:

Amateur Sleuth

Ghost Stories

Cozy Mystery

Murder Most Foul

review 2018-09-03 23:49
(Audiobook) The Bloody Chamber
The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter, Emilia Fox,Richard Armitage

Wonderful. Simply wonderful.

I enjoyed every story in this collection, save for one. The first four were my favorites, with the fourth--"Puss-in-Boots"--the absolute gem of the book. "The Snow Child" was the one I didn't much care for. It was a bit too disturbing for my taste.

The writing was lovely, very flowing and lyrical, and in the hands of narrators, Emilia Fox and Richard Armitage, it truly came alive for me.

I have to especially commend Richard Armitage here for his narration of "Puss-in-Boots." I laughed so hard at times I had to back up because I had missed some of the story.

review 2018-08-15 07:14
Witches Abroad (Discworld)
Witches Abroad - Terry Pratchett,Nigel Planer
Witches Abroad - Terry Pratchett

An excellent riff on fairy tales.  I'm not actually sure what to say about it beyond that.  If you've read any of the discworld books, this one won't disappoint you.

I listened to the audiobook, and Nigel Planer did an excellent job, though I disliked his Magrat and Ella choices; his voices for them both made them sound dull and stupid. On the other hand, I've also listened to other Pratchett books narrated by Celia Imrie and I really disliked her Granny Weatherwax voice; Planer gets Granny just right - she's the crone without hurting your ear drums.

The plays on words are always my favorite part of Pratchett books and Witches Abroad did not disappoint (Emberella = Cinderella).  I also loved the we finally saw Granny's magic in a very decisive show; I hope it won't be the only time we see it.