logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Audiobooks
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-02 04:36
You Gotta Get Bigger Dreams
You Gotta Get Bigger Dreams: My Life in Stories and Pictures - Alan Cumming

This was a nice collection of stories/anecdotes. Some were funny, some were touching, some were a little bawdy. My favorites were the ones where he was talking about his dogs, especially the one where he went on a cross-country road trip with his dog, Honey. You could tell that he truly and genuinely loves his pets. And with Alan Cumming's narration, it almost felt like you were sitting around with him listening to him regale you with stories from his life.

The audiobook comes with a pdf that contains the pictures in the print book. But, I often times found that I was so enchanted listening to him tell these stories that I'd forget to follow along on the pdf. This book was a lot of fun.

review 2018-11-19 21:37
Save a Truck, Ride a Redneck (Southern Eclectic Novella)
Save a Truck, Ride a Redneck - Molly Harper, Amanda Ronconi

If you read the Southern Eclectic novels, this is a prequel back story for one of the characters, Marianne, and how she ended up with Carl.

It's short, but it covers all the bases, introducing most of the family, including one character that dies before the full-length books begin.  We get a bit more insight into Donna, Marianne's curmudgeonly mother.  Less funny than most of the other books, it's sweet in its way and since I went in already invested in the characters, I enjoyed it well enough.

review 2018-11-19 21:24
My Bluegrass Baby
My Bluegrass Baby - Molly Harper,Amanda Ronconi

Straight up chick lit romance and not Harper's best.  Lots of very worn tropes get page time in this little romance about a woman fighting for the job she was promised when a new and, of course, gorgeous interloper comes into the picture.

I love Harper's work in general; it's funny, sweet, snarky, and often unpredictable, but this (admittedly early) work of hers just fell flat.  It wasn't bad, it was just very formulaic.

Amanda Ronconi did a wonderful job, as usual.

review 2018-10-24 07:05
Changeling (A Novel of Magic and Manners, Book 1)
Changeling - Molly Harper

I bought this one night under the influence of sleeping medication, along with a slew of other Molly Harper titles, one of the rare examples of doing something under the influence that you don't regret the next morning.

Saying that, I didn't realise it was a YA novel until I started listening to it.  I'd probably still have bought it, because Molly Harper, but there was a radical shift in expectations in the first 30 seconds.

This is an alternative England, in a world where people with magic took over the world, suppressing technology because they believed non-magical people would destroy the planet.  Non-magical people, called snipes, are now the serving classes in a society that feels like a dystopian version of feudalism and an oligarchy.  Magic families beget magical offspring, snipes beget ... more servants.  Except Sarah's parents.  She's a snipe and it turns out she has oodles of magic her parents have been trying to suppress so she isn't hauled off.  Of course she's found out and this is the story of what happens after.

This is a sweet story, about magic and the power of friendship.  It's also filled with snark, thank goodness, because sweet is generally not my thing.  Reading it as an adult, there are small nit-pics I could make about the story logic, but they aren't generally the kind of thing pre-teens would notice.  At least, pre-teen me wouldn't have.  Pre-teen me would have been more enthralled with this book than adult-me was, and adult-me was sitting in my car on the street in front of my house for 15 minutes after work so I could keep on listening.  That's a rarity for me, but Molly Harper just knows how to create a story book world that's easy for me to get caught up in, whether it's a YA or and Adult one.

Amanda Ronconi narrates this, as she does all of Harper's other books, but if I hadn't seen the credit on the cover, I'd not have believed it.  The characters are English (and I think Sarah's/Cassandra's family is Irish?), and while my tin ear cannot say with any accuracy that she nailed the accents, she totally sold it to my ears - she sounded completely different; I only heard hints of anything recognisable when she was delivering the snarky lines.

Overall, an enjoyable story and entertaining audio.

review 2018-10-15 07:41
Peachy Flippin' Keen
Peachy Flippin' Keen - Molly Harper

A short story about one of the cousins in the Southern Eclectic series, the coroner for Lake Sackett, Frankie McCready.  This story outlines the history behind the battle between her and an over privileged teen age boy who didn't get his way during a school trip.  This battle becomes a sub-plot in the longer novel Ain't She a Peach.

It's moderately amusing, but doesn't reach full Harper potential for laugh out loud gags, likely because of the short story format.  Still, it was an amusing way to spend a couple of hours in the car, and Amanda Ronconi does a fantastic job with the narration.