logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Baltimore
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-09-14 17:29
Lady in the Lake - Laura Lippman
Lady in the Lake - Laura Lippman

This is an embarrassment of riches: so much so that I am immobilized in my decision-making capacity. I'll go with whatever anyone else tells me first.

This paeon to old school newspapers and journalists was touching, nostalgic, and also thrilling. The relentless hustle to put out a daily paper helps keep the suspense high in a story that stretches out a fair bit. The crimes, the business of reporting on crimes, and how little those two might intersect is a constant theme. Really I loved pretty much everything: Madeliine and Cleo, the many different types of mothers, civil rights and equal rights, the new hairstyles and clothes and fabrics of 1966. For all that is very much a crime story, it has a bit of everything except a Tracy Turnblad musical number. The Dickens comparison still feels somewhat apt.

The only other upside to having finished it (beyond the sheer pleasure of a good story well told) is that I am reluctant to start something else right away. In an effort to keep my buzz going and not bring it down on some other kind of book entirey maybe I will accomplish some of the things I was going to do in the first half of the day "as soon as I finish this chapter..."

Library copy

review 2019-06-10 05:25
The Baltimore Book of the Dead
The Baltimore Book of the Dead - Marion Winik

This is a terrific book, especially if you are like me and love to read the NY Times obituaries. I used to feel weird admitting that, but two things made me change my mind. 1. The NY Times still prints them, and that can't possibly be just for the friends and family. and 2. They made a documentary about the NY Times writers of those obituaries, appropriately called, Obit. But I digress, sorry. This beautifully-designed, pocket-sized edition (I know adorable is not an acceptable literary term, but still) is tempting to devour in one sitting, but I suggest you take your time. Winik does not use people's names, which I liked, (This is a follow-up to her original Glen Rock Book of the Dead, which I couldn't get a copy of in my local book store.) but I did spend some additional time trying to google to figure out who some of them were. (The Playwright, anyone?) So yes, I read it in two days instead, but really, this one is worth savoring.

review 2019-01-16 08:05
Release Blitz w/Review - Fighting to Score

Fighting to Score by Lisa B. Kamps is available now!

She's worth the fight...

Amazon - https://amzn.to/2Qg9Sss

iBooks - http://bit.ly/FTSapple

B&N - http://bit.ly/FTSnook

Kobo - http://bit.ly/FTSkobo

ADD TO YOUR TBR: http://bit.ly/2BVsy88

Shane Masters has it all: a promising career with the Baltimore Banners, a big house, fast cars, financial security, and—up until a month ago—the woman of his dreams. Now he's floundering, with no idea what he did wrong and no idea how to win her back. To make matters worse, her brother—Shane's former best friend—shows up and decides to get involved.

Chloe Hunter has never run from a challenge in her life—until the weekend she visits Shane in Baltimore and realizes he isn't exactly the same man she fell in love with all those years ago. He's too accustomed to getting what he wants and Chloe refuses to be just another prize for the taking. That doesn't mean she's giving up, not yet.

Shane will stop at nothing to win Chloe back. But when the past suddenly collides with the present, will he fight for a future with her—or will the game end before their chance to be together even starts?

Fighting To Score (Baltimore Banners #12)Fighting To Score by Lisa B. Kamps
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is book #12, in the Baltimore Banners series. This book can be read as a standalone novel. For complete understanding of the series, and to avoid spoilers also, I recommend reading this series in order.

Chloe is running scared. She got together over the holidays with the love of her life. Can she trust him not to break her heart, again?

Shane has always been in love with just one woman. He thinks all is well after they reconnect over Christmas. Then she disappears again. Is it possible to fix what you never knew was broken?

These characters were really something. I almost put the book down. There was a lot of angsty pieces. I am so glad I read to the finish line. This couple was so meant to be. I found it to be right on for this series.

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review.

About the Author:

Lisa B. Kamps is a USA Today Bestselling Author who loves cheering loudly for her favorite hockey team, the Washington Capitals. She came about the fandom honestly as she lives in Maryland with her husband and two sons (who are mostly sorta-kinda out of the house), one very spoiled Border Collie, two cats with major attitude, several head of cattle, and entirely too many chickens to count.

While Lisa writes a lot of hockey - one such series, The Baltimore Banners, features "…hard-hitting, heart-melting hockey players…" [USA Today], on and off the ice - she also delves deep *ahem* into the heat with a series of hot and heroic firefighters who put more than their lives on the line in the Firehouse Fourteen series. She's recently introduced a whole new team of hot hockey players who play hard and love even harder in her Banners' spin-off series, The York Bombers. The Chesapeake Blades--a romance series featuring women's hockey--also recently launched with WINNING HARD. Her newest series, Cover Six Security, will launch in early 2019.

For more information, please visit: www.LisaBKamps.com

Connect With Lisa!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LBKamps

review 2019-01-16 07:05
Scared
Fighting To Score - Lisa B. Kamps

This is book #12, in the Baltimore Banners series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For complete understanding of the series, and to avoid spoilers also, I recommend reading this series in order.

Chloe is running scared.  She got together over the holidays with the love of her life.  Can she trust him not to break her heart, again?

Shane has always been in love with just one woman.  He thinks all is well after they reconnect over Christmas.  Then she disappears again.  Is it possible to fix what you never knew was broken?

These characters were really something.  I almost put the book down.  There was a lot of angsty pieces.  I am so glad I read to the finish line.  This couple was so meant to be.  I found it to be right on for this series.  I give this a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-07-23 16:33
Baltimore Blues
Baltimore Blues - Laura Lippman

Wow. What a crazy ride! I loved reading about Tess, her family, her uncle (who may not be a uncle) and having this whole thing set in Baltimore. Lippman manages to make Baltimore come alive and you get to see the many sides to Charm City. I really enjoyed Tess too since we don't just get her off and running in her new freelance career as a PI. Lippman introduces some great characters, Tess's aunt Kitty, her ex Johnathan, her rowing buddy Rock, and her best friend Whitney.

"Baltimore Blues" has Tess Monaghan still dealing with being unemployed after being let go from the Star. She still dreams about going back to a newspaper and becoming a reporter again, but for now works in her aunt's bookstore and for her uncle at a state agency. When her friend Rock asks her to follow his fiancee and get some answers on why she is acting so weird, she does so, cause being broke is not that much fun. Following her around, Tess realizes there is more than meets the eye with her. When his fiancee tells Rock that a lawyer she is working with has forced her to sleep with him, he goes and confronts the man. When the lawyer is found dead, fingers point to Rock, and Tess is hired to work alongside his lawyer.

Tess is such a mess and I love her. She has a weird family and lives above her aunt's bookstore. She has an on and off relationship with an ex, but also finds herself thinking of someone who works with her aunt named Crow (I am also reading books with characters having terrible names). Tess is in a rut and her investigating to help out her friend seems like the best thing she can do. She seems to be drifting through her life.

Tess's aunt is pretty hilarious, but sketched thinly. I did love Tess and her relationship with her friend Whitney and how they pushed/pulled each other though.

We don't get to really see the different Baltimore's here though. Lippman addresses that in her third book (Butcher's Hill) and I was happy to see it. I maybe laughed at Tess talking crap about how bad D.C. was compared to Baltimore (it's funny cause it's true).