logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Bethany-House
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-07 05:23
Shelter of the Most High - Connilyn Cossette

I received this book for free from the publisher (Bethany House) in exchange for an honest review.

This book is the second in a series and I did not read the first book. Like a lot of Christian fiction series, the first book centers on one of the characters in this book. The fact that I did not read it did not hinder my comprehension of the story. Anything that happened in the previous book was explained fully in this one, so it it totally possible to read this as a stand-alone.

This was also my first time reading biblical fiction so I had no idea what to expect or if I would even like it. Luckily, I ended up really enjoying it.

The book captured my interest from the very first page. We are immediately thrown into the action of when Sofea and her cousin are kidnapped by pirates. Sometimes books can take too long to get the actual storyline, so I was happy to see this book get right to it. As a whole, this book had quite a bit of action and excitement which I wasn’t expecting (but loved).

There was a really good balance of the religious elements. I never felt like it was too much or too preachy. It was woven into the story beautifully.

The only thing that prevented me from giving this 5 stars was that I didn’t connect much with Sofea. I wanted a little bit more from her. I connected with Eitan no problem, but Sofea not so much.

All in all, this was an exciting tale and if you are looking to get into biblical fiction, consider picking up this book/series.

review 2018-08-04 17:57
Review: The Hope Jar
The Hope Jar - Wanda E. Brunstetter

Wanda does it once again with her latest book. Ever wonder what would happen if you mistaking though someone was your relative or grandchild by think that the person got the same hair color as your daughter?

That person goes along with it by pretending to be someone they are not. Well, that is kinda what goes on in this book. Can you fault the person that was asked, if you are acting as that person even though you are not them?

Well, the Lapps do this when they get a letter from their granddaughter Sara and hurry to pick her up at the bus station that day which is July 5th. Not knowing what she looks like or if she is even coming that day.

Michelle is asked if she is Sara Murray? She goes along with them. She never really says their granddaughter or not. We know she wants to stay away from Jerry and his abuse.

As she stays with them, she learns about the Amish culture and a little bit about the Lapps. She meets the family. She is asked questions by the Lapps. She too has questions.

We Eli as well. He seems fond of Michelle. Does he not know if he wants to stay Amish or go English? What will he decide? He comes to help Michelle (Sara), and Lapps. He comes over to the Lapps to see Michelle (Sara).

How does it end? Do we meet the real Sara? You will have to pick up a copy to read to find out.

Source: nrcbooks.blogspot.com/2018/08/review-hope-jar.html
review 2018-05-22 06:06
Book Tour: The Accidental Guardian
The Accidental Guardian - Mary Connealy

Are you a person would would like to see what an wagon trail is like. Learn about it some what. Well you get glimpses of it though the accidental guardian. You can see what it like to be a survivor of a wagon train.

We find out about Tracy Riley and some of his past. He has to protect not only woman but also two children. They are survivors of the wagon train. We seem to be following more of Deb's story rather then her little sister Gwen and the children. Though maybe in the second book we learn more about the children and Gwen story.

Deb is adventurous and Trace and seem interested in Tracy from  the beginning. Trace put Deb in his bed that first night. Is there romance between them or not?

Source: nrcbooks.blogspot.com/2018/05/book-tour-accidental-guardian.html
review 2016-09-12 21:08
No Way Up (The Cimarron Legacy #1) by Mary Connealy
No Way Up (The Cimarron Legacy) - Mary Connealy

No Way Up starts with a bang (well, more of a rumble) as an avalanche sets up the circumstances that drive much of the plot for the story that follows.

Heath Kincaid is a very likable character, as he saves the Boden patriarch and investigates the cause of the avalanche. Sadie, a gratifyingly spunky heroine, is grateful to him for saving her father and is quick to join him in his attempts to reach Skull Mesa. As Heath calls on skills he learned growing up near caves in Colorado (reading Connealy’s Kincaid Brides trilogy is not necessary to read this novel, but you sure might want to after), he and Sadie both go through a time of personal and spiritual growth as they come to terms with the bossiness of older brothers and their attraction to each other.

It is in little moments that are part of the forming of Sadie and Heath's relationship that I found a majority of the humor in this particular novel. This was most notable in the utterly charming moments of Heath's embarrassment.

I enjoyed the return of characters from the prequel novella as well as new characters. In particular, I appreciated the way native characters were portrayed in a manner that seemed, to my limited knowledge, authentic and respectful.

I would easily classify the Mary Connealy books I've previously read as Christian Historical Fiction and, as the author herself describes them, "comedies with cowboys." In this novel, however, I saw less of the comedy. Instead, the thought that struck me quite quickly is that this is a Western. Not just historical fiction set in the Old West, but a Western with a capital W, so...

Recommended for those who enjoy Westerns set in the 1800's, with clean romance and a bit of humor included. I also recommend that you read the novella, The Boden Birthright, prior to reading this novel. It is currently available as a free ebook.

This (edited, full version at bookworlder.wordpress.com) review refers to a free review copy, courtesy of the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.

review 2016-09-01 02:03
Her One and Only by Becky Wade (Porter Family #4)
Her One and Only - Becky Wade Her One and Only - Becky Wade

This is the fourth book in Becky Wade’s Porter Family series and there may be some spoilers if read first, including one particularly touching secondary storyline. But not reading the other books (and not being a football fan) did not stop me from thoroughly enjoying this story of a former bad girl turned Marine turned bodyguard and the football player (emphasis on player) she is assigned to protect.

If I had read the prior books, which seem to have taken place years before this one, I probably would have been a bit less confused in some of the scenes that included Dru’s family (though what’s not to love about a big fictional family that includes some overprotective, bossy older brothers who are all Cowboys fans and dislike Gray's team). I felt I was missing a lot of background and could not always keep the characters and their relationships to Dru straight.

One of the aspects that I really appreciated about this book was the faith journeys of the main characters. While the interplay between Gray and Dru (just thinking of the nicknames they give each other – especially “Big Football Hero” – makes me want to chuckle) is great fun to read, where their story really shines is in the ways they help each other face their pasts and heal. Dru’s conversion story and the message that “sin to a lesser degree is still sin” gave me a bit of a pause. Introspection is not something I expect to come from a contemporary romance, but it is a pleasant surprise when it does.

Recommended. Becky Wade infused this story with a mix of action, romance, humor and heartache that has me wanting to read the rest of the Porter Family series.

This review refers to a review copy provided by the publisher, Bethany House.  It is a slightly edited version of the original from my blog, where it includes some fun little quotes.