logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Bliss
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-02-07 17:51
Loved it
Bliss - Judy Cuevas,Judith Ivory

I read this as a buddy read, for quotes, comments, and discussion: Bliss Buddy Read

"Dis non."

I am wrung out from reading this, I quoted and talked a lot in the buddy read, so I'm going to let that for the most part talk for what I thought about this book.

This was published in 1995, it has a bit of different rhythm to it. The heroine and hero are solidly introduced on their own and their characters are established before they meet (around 35% mark), this completely worked for me and if you're looking for depth to your characters that creates an incredibly emotional story, then it will work for you too.

These characters weren't perfect, our hero is addicted to ether, has some struggles with not being the "hot, talented artist" anymore and our heroine is escaping a reputation that gave her a nickname "Miss Seven Minutes in Heaven" and wants a romantic easy life in Paris. It was the underlining truth to these emotions and characters that will have me thinking about these characters for a long, long time.

It was passages like this:
In the musty dark of the attic, Hannah felt heartened at last. And so very impressed with the real Nardi de Saint Vallier. He might not be a prince, but he was heroic: a man ready to face his nemesis, all that had worn him down before. Better than the fancy trousers and pretty coats that had once impressed her, this man had a magnificent fortitude.
that had me absorbed.

The author brilliantly interweaves societal issues and family dynamics through characters' thoughts and actions; these characters were not perfect but they grew.

Secondary characters had me desperately wanting a Director's Cut of the book so I could get a more thorough look at them.

If you can find this book, grasp it with both hands, I've rarely read a book that had such amazing depth to emotions. Read this, read this, read this (then go the buddy read and comment so I can talk about this book more and for years to come :)

"You should know, Hannah, that I would marry you over and over, as many times as it takes to make the world see I love you."

review 2020-01-13 05:42
Unexpected
Mismatched In Mayhem - L. E. Rico

This is book #4, in the Whiskey Sisters series.  This book can be a standalone novel.  For understanding the series, and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading this great series in order.

Walker is the one who takes care of her family.  She puts her family first, herself last.  Then she helps someone left behind at her family's bar.  It may be something out of the ordinary for her, but she is a good person.  Why is everyone so shocked?

Mason is excited to get along with someone who does not know who he is.  His secret is safe, and the chemistry is hot!  Until they get to know one another better, and time is running out to tell her the secret he has kept close to his chest.

This was so much more than I thought looking at the cover.  Cute cover though, and I do love me the kitties.  What I found was a story with so much to it I could not put it down!  I loved the heat, the banter, the characters and more.  I really will be reading this author again soon.  I give this read a 5/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review, by Netgalley and its publishers.

review 2019-10-27 22:39
Review: No Strings Attached [DNF]
No Strings Attached - Harper Bliss,Angela Dawe

I tried.

I really tried.

It started interesting, but immediately the best friend became the annoying overbearing I-know-what's-best-for-you friend trope.  And then the protagonist falls for a person who had been an absolute dick to them when they first met.

Then the love interest turns out to be pretty okay (first meeting was still a dick move though) and the protagonist turns into a clingy, whiney, we-slept-together-once-and-now-I-want-a-committed-relationship trope.

I tired to hate-listen, but every one of the characters just got on my nerves and I just couldn't even.

I hated that the best friend got to decide when it was time for the protagonist to come out as bi or a lesbian and to immediately get out there and start dating.  I always thought every person needed to do things at their own pace.

I hated that the protagonist let her best friend push her into something she wasn't necessarily ready for.  And then she fell in love with the first woman she slept with, even after the woman made it VERY CLEAR that she was not looking for anything more than a friends-with-benefits relationship for various reasons, one of which was that she was always travelling for work and wasn't around long enough to commit.

I hated that her new boss's wife decided to set her up with one of their friends without even clearing it with her first.  She shows up for dinner and chats with the boss while they wait for her wife to arrive.  Low and behold the wife arrives with a "friend" they've been thinking about setting her up with.  After that I was just out.

This was not enjoyable for me.

review 2019-10-16 02:37
More to Love by Alison Bliss
More to Love (A Perfect Fit) - Alison Bliss

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had some issues with this book. This was really more of a 2.5-star read but since I am feeling generous, I am rounding up. I have had a review copy of this book for quite a while but hadn't had the chance to read it so I decided to pick up the audiobook and give it a try. I thought that the narrator did a great job but I just couldn't ever get completely behind this story.

Jessa was great. She was confident and an all-around nice girl. She worked hard and wanted to play by the rules. She wasn't afraid to take risks or go for what she wants. And then there is Max. Max ruined this story for me. He lies when he meets Jessa and doesn't stop lying for the whole book. Jessa deserved better than that.

I did enjoy seeing Jessa connect with the people in town. I also thought that Max and Jessa had great chemistry and there was some potential for their relationship. My problem is the Max waits way too long to come clean and his lies go on way too long. He even takes steps to keep the deceit going after he has started to get involved with her. There were just a lot of lines crossed in this story. Every time Max had an opportunity to come clean with Jessa and didn't take it, I lost some respect for his character. By the end of the book, I had no respect left. Jessa deserved better.

I thought that Violet Strong did a great job with the narration. Her narration was one of the highlights of the book. She did a great job with the character voices and had a great reading voice. I had no problem listening to her narration for hours at a time. I wouldn't hesitate to listen to more of her narration work.

I think that there are some readers that will enjoy this one more than I did. I have a hard time with romances where one character is deceiving the other so this one didn't work for me. I haven't quite given up on this author and would love to try more of her work in the future.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Forever (Grand Central Publishing) via NetGalley and purchased a copy of the audiobook.

Initial Thoughts
More like 2.5 stars but I am rounding up because the narrator did a good job. I didn't like Max at all. It is really hard to fully enjoy a romance when one of the characters is completely unlikable. Max is lying for almost the entire story and I think that it was a big enough deception to make it hard to want to see this relationship work. Jessa was great and I think she deserved better.

review 2019-09-30 13:17
Audiobook narrated by Lance Greenfield and Samantha Brentmoor
Throttle Me - Chelle Bliss

Audio narrated by Lance Greenfield and Samantha Brentmoor and hard copy. Ink and all.  This is my first experience with reading a Chelle Bliss story. I enjoyed the read. ALOT of steam, but the story is there and the interaction of characters is the best of this story line. The steam was over done (just my opinion), however, the romance and humor helps bring this up to enjoyment level.