logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: BookLikes
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-16 04:50
Book Review for The Trouble with Twelfth Grave: A Novel (Charley Davidson Series)

The Trouble with Twelfth Grave: A Novel (Charley Davidson Series)

• Series: Charley Davidson Series (Book 12)
  • Kindle: 304 pages
  • Publisher: St. Martin's Press (October 31, 2017)
  • Language: English
  • Asin:BO6YSCGMO
  • ISBN-10: 1250147557
  • ISBN-13: 978-1250147554
  • Reviewed by: Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
  • Arc copy provided from NetGallery
  • Gene: Ghosts,Paranormal,Mystery,Thriller,Suspense,Private Investigators,Supernatural

Grim Reaper Charley Davidson is back in the twelfth installment of Darynda Jones’ New York Times bestselling paranormal series, The Trouble with Twelfth Grave.

Ever since Reyes Farrow escaped from a hell dimension in which Charley Davidson accidentally trapped him, the son of Satan has been brimstone-bent on destroying the world his heavenly Brother created. His volatile tendencies have put Charley in a bit of a pickle. But that’s not the only briny vegetable on her plate. While trying to domesticate the feral being that used to be her husband, she also has to deal with her everyday life of annoying all manner of beings―some corporeal, some not so much―as she struggles to right the wrongs of society. Only this time she’s not uncovering a murder. This time she’s covering one up.

Add to that her new occupation of keeping a startup PI venture―the indomitable mystery-solving team of Amber Kowalski and Quentin Rutherford―out of trouble and dealing with the Vatican’s inquiries into her beloved daughter, and Charley is on the brink of throwing in the towel and becoming a professional shopper. Or possibly a live mannequin. But when someone starts attacking humans who are sensitive to the supernatural world, Charley knows it’s time to let loose her razor sharp claws. Then again, her number one suspect is the dark entity she’s loved for centuries. So the question becomes: Can she tame the unruly beast before it destroys everything she’s worked so hard to protect?

First off let me say that this is one of my favorite authors and series and I will never get tired of reading this story over and over again as well as the entire series that grace our book shelves.

OMG! Another fantastic read that was filled with so much suspense and humor.The story had a cast of unique and fun characters.Charley definitively has group of interesting friends all with interesting personalities and talents and I have to say that that we love reading about them as well.

Charley never disappoints she always makes me laugh and she still amazes me at the lengths that she is willing to go to protect and the ones she loves.Charley is a fiercely loyal friend .

I love everything about Charley especially how fiercely she loves.I love that she has a  sense of humor ,I love how she loves coffee and it is her vice as it is mine.A like seeing her doing something she was born to do and how she helps all those lost souls.The cases she investigates are always intriguing and exciting and we are always looking forward to how she solves them.What I love most about Charley is that she is always so laid back she is a god after all and a grim reaper to boot but acts almost normal or as normal as a supernatural element can act.Just down to earth as well as sweet kind, loving and loyal yet one of the most deadliest beings on earth.

I have to say that the story constantly kept you on edge as we were always looking for the Axe to fall.I love how Charley had faith and hope in Reyes knowing with her heart that he would never betray her or their love and always do what it takes to keep their daughter safe even when common sense tells you to do the opposite.

The saying must  be true that the heart will always recognize ones soul mate in no matter what shape or form and that was true for Charley when It came to Reyes.I loved how Reyes even not being Reyes at the present recognized the connection he had with Charley and how protective and jealous he was over her even not knowing  she was his wife.Reyes is sex on a stick for sure whether he is acting good or bad we still love the bad boy even when things are not what they seem.Reyes and Charley create heat and fire when ever they are together but when their intimate things are hotter than hell.No matter what name Reyes is going with he always need a good dose of Charley to keep him happy and sane .

I loved the story from cover to cover it was intriguing and intense and full of twists and turns and many surprises.This story was quite the page turner as I never put the book down until it was finished.

I love when you can connect with the characters you read about and I was able to do that  with this cast of characters as I loved them all with their quirky personalties they made this story all the more interesting.I love all the Chaos that surrounds Charley all the time as her actions and deeds make me laugh constantly through out this current tale.

We learned a really big secret this time around and I have to say that I never saw that coming.I was awestruck!

Favorite quote:
"Okay,Fine,You're  a god.How would you track and capture yourself?""I'd lure me with coffee then keep the cups coming.Trust me I would go anywhere.I doubt that would work for him though.Not all gods enjoy java as mush as I do."

5 stars from us

Another superb read from a fantastic author.

Goes in to the keeper pile!

Recommended read to all and the entire series as well you won't be disappointed.These characters are why I love reading series so much as we can never get enough I our favorite characters.

review 2017-11-14 03:56

Pregnant- ✔
Single mother of two - ✔
Biker best friend – ✔
Ex that’s still a D-Bag – ✔ ✔

New Years is the time for new beginnings. I thought I’d gotten that when I visited Texas over Thanksgiving. Then again, very little has changed. I’m still a librarian living in the same house. My daughters are growing up fast. Sure, I’ve acquired a new best friend who’s convinced me it’s time to give dating a fair shot. Which isn’t exactly easy when I’m pregnant with an Asshole’s baby. Does that complicate matters? Sorta. But there’s nothing left for me to do except move on. The jagged edges of my shattered heart have been polished. Questions answered, and blank holes from my past plugged. Now I’m ready to take the plunge into uncharted waters, to build a happier life… until a bomb comes along and tests my strength like never before. Nobody fucks with my family and gets away with it. Not even you.

Warning: Proceed with caution. Contains adult sexual content, the excessive use of the F bomb, violence, and whatever else that makes it unsuitable for anyone under the age of 18.

Not a stand-alone, 2nd book in a Trilogy.
Must read Hopelessly Shattered previously.

Let's start off by saying I really love anything that this author writes she is at the top of one of my favorite MC Romance writers.Some of my favorite characters Bink.Big,Gunz. I have to say that I am also loving this new series but, I HATE reading books with Cliffhangers!I understand why the author has chosen to write this new series this way as she is giving the reader a story not rushed and complete and these main characters have a history that is complicated and she is not rushing to end their journey but, I still hate cliffhangers and this one had me having my mouth wide open saying OMG !OMG!No.......

I have to say that I loved the story from cover to cover and once I started reading it I didn't put it down until it was finished and at that point I didn't wanted it to end. OMG ! hours later and I  was still thinking about that ending.Now thats a great book!

I love when you can connect with the character that you read about and I was able to do that with this cast.I know once that happens at the beginning of the story I knew I was going to love it and I did even Ryker as I just want to constantly smack him up side his head for constantly hurting Kat.I loved how our favorites from a  previous series showed up and played a part in this current story like Big and Gunz as I just love Gunz he is just to funny.

This was and emotional tale for sure.A definite roller coaster of ups and downs along with twists turns with heartache ,pain and suspense.I love how the story unfolded throughout the story alway keeping you on edge to see what happens next.

I always pick a favorite character in a story and this time around Kat is going to be mine.I saw a different side of her this time around.She was always a strong women but, we saw a lot of her fire and determination.I loved how she loved her children with her whole heart.What a strong single parent with two kids and a baby in her belly and the mother of three from a man she can never have and never stop loving.My heart broke  throughout the story for her as she was just the sweetest person in the world and a wonderful mother and just didn't deserve what life kept dishing out to her.I found her to be loving and beautiful inside and out and had a sense of humor.I loved her fire and passion for life and most of all a wonderful mother.

Ryker on the other hand  I found sexy and hot as hell but, throughout the whole story I wanted to just punch him constantly and kept screaming  at him saying "When are you going to get your priorities straight and stop hurting the women you love and your family! "Ryker is a character you love and hate at the same time.Max he was a character that I fell in love with from the very beginning.Max is Kat's savior who offers constant support and just loves her
unconditionally and we are so glad she has him as her best friend.

Favorite scene in the story would have to be what transpired in the doctors omg! I felt for once that Kat was put first  for the first time in a very long time.

Just and amazing story all around with a wonderful cast of characters to love and hate.This one goes into the keeper pile and I will be re-reading this book and this series over and over again it was just that good.

Recommended read to all!
This authors story keeps better and better!

5 stars from us

“Absolutely Brilliant & Addicting Read!!!!” - j luvs bks_n_naughtiness (Amazon Review)

“Phenomenal read! The most anticipated book of the year does not disappoint!” - MaryB (Amazon Review)

“..the author has an endless imagination and I need not fear that she will have something equally as entertaining for her readers next.” - iScream Book Blog

$0.99 for a LIMITED TIME on Amazon US
$0.99 on Amazon UK - November 10-17

Author Bink Cummings was born and raised part of a biker family. Upon the incessant coercion from her sacred sisters, she has begun her newest journey in life--writing. When she's not shacked up in her home writing at all hours of the night, Bink enjoys riding motorcycles, taking care of her family, reading, and cooking huge meals--Especially her infamous chocolate chip cookies.

review 2017-11-13 00:10
Book Review for Kat by Jessie Cooke

Title: KAT: The Women Of...
Series: Southside Skulls Motorcycle Club
Author: Jessie Cooke
Genre: MC Romance
Published: November 3, 2017

“Hurricane” Katrina Brown left the Southside for a new life in California when her boyfriend thought she’d killed someone.

Now she’s returning after someone died in California and someone else is dying back home.

Faced with the demons of the past, her desires for Dax, and her anger towards Dax’s wife Angel, Kat is a wild one with a world of trouble just waiting to unravel again.

That trouble is only set to get worse when Dax makes her an offer she can’t refuse.

This is the 6th book in the Southside Skulls MC Series. It is a Standalone Romance Novel but characters from the previous novels, DAX, CODY, GUNNER, ZACK & LEVI are included in this story too.

HEA and No cliffhanger.
Intended for Mature Readers

Omg! Another great read in this on going series!This is one of the funniest books I have read to date so far.I loved Hurricane Kat she was hilarious and so much fun to read about.
I enjoyed all the side characters as well as they are funny,loyal,possessive,dangerous and all the them are complicated and that goes for the men as well as the women but all so interesting and fun.I loved seeing so much of Dax & Angel Marshall as well.

As funny as the current story was it was just as emotional.We came to love Kat from the previous books and I found her to be brash have fire and one that was guarded and you sensed she was a little bit lonely so I am so glad that she found a little bit of happiness.

I always pick a favorite character in a story and mine is going to be Kat for sure.I found her to be beautiful ,giving,loving,one who loves with her whole heart,full of fire and passion and she had and amazing personality and was funny as heck.I loved her from the onset of the series.

I loved the plot and the story from beginning to end.The story had me laughing more than once throughout the story but, the story was just as emotional.Kat's life as been paved with pain and sorrow.Up until now she had kept it hidden but, the love of her life has reappeared and now its stirring up the heartbreak she thought she left behind and on top of all that her father is dying.My heart broke for all that she was going through but, Kat was a character full of layers and as the story progressed we saw those layers fade away and she just blossom.

I love when you you can connect with the characters that you read about and I was able to do that with this cast of characters and when that happens I know I am going to love the story and I did just that.

The story was filled with old pain and sorrow,second chances and new beginnings love and laughter and forgiveness as well as many unexpected turns and twists.Kat was a hellcat she was hot as hell in and out of bed.The sex scenes between her and David were hot as hell.The story overall was a page turner and delightful.I loved it from beginning to end.

Favorite scene would have to be what happened roadside with a MC member I never laughed so hard and throughout the day I thought back on that scene and laughed some more.
Grins....

In this story although Kat is not hooking up with and MC member she is connected with Dax from their past and their lives are intertwined and David is Angels brother and Dax's brother in-law. Dax considers her family and part of the MC.That being said there was enough of the club members and their drama going on to keep with the MC theme that we so love to read about.The story really did have so much going on that it kept you engrossed.There was a few unexpected surprises and a few loose ends tied up and I was happy of the outcome of them.I have to say that the author created the perfect ending to this story that had us in awe and we finished it with a smile on our face.

Overall we loved it from beginning to end.I really loved each and every story so far in this series and I have to say I love each and every character.One of the things I love about this series is their women they are strong independent and tough as nails and funny as hell and a delight to read about.

Recommended read to all.

5 stars.....

Chapter 1...

Kat sat in the office while Dax looked over the estimate that she had brought him. She was spoiling for the fight she expected to come, so when he chuckled, she straightened her spine and said:

“I’m sorry, what’s so funny?”

He looked up at her with those gorgeous blue eyes. Damn, every time she saw him lately she needed a fresh pair of panties. When they were younger all Kat could think about was getting the hell out of the Southside and making a real life for herself that had nothing to do with crappy bars or motorcycle clubs. There was a brief, fleeting moment when she might have had a chance with Dax. Hindsight made her wish she had taken it. Who would have thought he’d end up with Angel Brady? She almost rolled her eyes at the thought. He interrupted it by saying, “A new, industrial-sized convection oven? We shot your oven?”

She narrowed her big almond-shaped eyes. Dax’s men had been involved in a shoot-out with a local street gang in the bar her father owned. Dax promised her that he’d not only pay for damages, but renovations as well. Now, it sounded like he was trying to renege. “No,” she said in a sarcastic tone of voice. “My oven was not shot. But if I heard you right, when you came by the other day to beg my forgiveness, you said you would not only replace what was damaged, but also pay for the renovations.”

Still with a smile tugging at his way too sexy lips he said, “I did say that. I’m just surprised that a…an establishment like Brownie’s would have a need for an oven that would make Gordon Ramsey proud.”

She folded her arms across her chest. “You know my situation, Dax, right?”

“Some. I know you gave up your job in Hollywood to come home and take care of Dillon. He didn’t tell me what was going on with him, exactly.”

Kat left for Hollywood when she was twenty-one years old. She wasn’t aspiring to be an actress like a lot of young women that headed out west. Kat went there to become a stuntwoman. Five years later, she was finally getting noticed by some of Hollywood’s biggest directors…and that’s where she made her mistake. She told everyone she’d come home to take care of Dillon and the bar, but the truth was, she came home because there was nowhere else to go.

“He has cirrhosis of the liver. He’s drunk himself to death already; we’re just waiting for his heart to stop now.” Dax gave her a look that said he didn’t believe she was as callous about it as she tried to pretend she was. She ignored it and went on, “In the meantime, he’s let the bar go to shit and he can’t afford to pay his utility bills, much less the medical ones. I gave up a high-paying job to come home, and that’s okay. He’s an asshole and a drunk, but he’s my father, so he’s my asshole and drunk. But that bar is not going to ever support us. When I was in California, my roommate was a chef. He owned a catering service that brought food out to the movie lots. He taught me a lot and before I left, he gave me some of his best recipes.” He didn’t “give” them to her, but it wasn’t like she’d be competing with him 3000 miles away. “I want to start catering. I have Dillon’s van, and it’s something I can do and still run the bar.”

Dax’s lips twitched again. “So what were you planning on doing for equipment before we shot up your bar?”

She narrowed her eyes again. “I was going to empty out my savings account. If you’re going to be this way, I still can.”

He chuckled again. “I’m not being any ‘way,’ Kat. I’m just trying to make sure we reach an agreement here that we can both live with. I agree with the numbers for the inside of the bar and again, I apologize to you for the damage and inconvenience. The kitchen, however…well, that kind of cash is going to have to be run by the executive board. I’m just not sure they’ll agree to it, unless…”

“Unless what?”

“I could put it in front of them as a business proposition.”

She cocked an eyebrow and leaned forward in her chair. “What kind of ‘business’ are you suggesting?”

“What if we were silent partners?”

“Silent as in you give me money and keep your mouth shut about how I run things?”

Dax shook his head at her. He leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. Kat licked her lips before she realized what she was doing. Damn. It should be fucking illegal to be that hot. How is a red-blooded female supposed to not want to rip off that kutte and t-shirt he’s wearing, climb up into his lap, and rub her naked body up against his rock-hard, tattooed one? He’s sex, dipped in ink with crystal blue eyes and a smile to die for…and fucking Angel Brady ended up with him. How fucking fair is that? “I’ll present it to them as a silent partnership that we keep out of as long as you’re turning a profit and paying us the amount we agree to every month…how does that sound?”

“Like you’re screwing me in the ass with your big dick,” she said. She stood up, knowing she wasn’t in a position to turn down whatever offer he presented, but not willing to let him know that. “We’ll decide if this is going to work once I see those numbers.”

He didn’t try to hide his smile then. It kind of pissed her off that he was so amused by her. “The board meets tomorrow afternoon. How about you make something for us for lunch…something easy, but good, so the guys can see what kind of catering talent you have?”
“Fine…but I’ll need half upfront.”

He cocked an eyebrow. “Half of what?”

“Half of my fee. You don’t think I’m making you shit for free, do you?”

“Katrina, you are a piece of work,” Dax said, but still with a smile on his face. “Go talk to Gunner, tell him how much you need for your supplies and after we get our delivery tomorrow, I’ll pay the catering fees…deal?”

“Sure,” she said. Her body was burning up as she looked at him. It pissed her off that she wanted him so badly. She never wanted a guy she couldn’t have. Kat didn’t have any hang-ups about sex, or her body. That had earned her a reputation on the Southside as a slut before she left home for California. But she didn’t see the difference between her and all the man whores in town, especially the ones in the MC. The double standard pissed her off, and she’d enjoyed the anonymity of living in Hollywood where she could fuck whoever she wanted and it was nobody’s business but her own. She had standards, and she didn’t fuck another woman’s man…most of the time. Dax Marshall would be the one exception she’d be willing to make, if she could get him to realize what he was missing. Maybe once they became business partners…she licked her lips again. Damn, I need to get laid. “What time tomorrow?” she asked him.

“One.”

“How many people?”

“Fifteen.”

“Drinks?”

“Nah, we got that.”

“Dessert?”

“Hmm…something chocolate?”

Yeah, me dipped in hot chocolate sauce, and whipped cream in every orifice. “I could do chocolate.”

“Sounds good then. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Just like that, she was dismissed. She wondered just for a second what he would do if she pulled off her shirt. It was just a fantasy, she’d never do it. Too bad for him though; her tits were real, and they were fabulous. She wondered if Angel Brady could say the same.

She left Dax, picked up her money from Gunner, and fended off a few creepy bikers before getting on her own Harley and heading back to the bar. Kat didn’t grow up in an MC, but she and Dillon moved back to the Southside, where her parents had grown up and the Skulls ran the streets, when she was twelve years old. She knew the first time she saw the Skulls roll by that she wanted to learn how to ride a Harley. She was thirteen the first time she rode one. Unfortunately, it was one that she’d “borrowed” from her friend’s uncle and she dumped it before she even got it out of the lot…but with just that one taste, she was addicted.

When Kat got back to Brownie’s, Dillon was sitting on a stool, talking to their one and only customer. Bill Hardy was an old friend of Dillon’s from high school. They’d played football together. Dillon was something of a legend on the Southside back in those days. He was a running back with 11,232 career rushing yards. It was a record for any high school running back, anywhere. Thirty years later, his record was still holding strong; unfortunately, Dillon wasn’t.

“Hey, Bill,” Kat said as she walked behind the bar.

“Hey there, Hurricane. How goes it?” Kat earned the name Hurricane from her classmates in school when she was just a kid and Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans. It might not have stuck if not for the fact that her personality and her temper were as unpredictable and volatile as a Category 5.

“Hangin’, Bill. What’s new with you?”

“Not a damned thing. You know the wife left me, right?” Kat had only been back home for a month and she’d already heard the story twice.

She nodded. “Yeah, Bill, that sucks.”

“For one of them bikers. Bastards. Cocksuckers. First they take over this town and then just about the time us respectable citizens thought we were going to be able to claim it back, that Marshall kid marries a cop. What the fuck is that?”

Katrina chuckled. She had the same thought herself when she came back and found out who Dax had married. Unfortunately, Kat and Angel had a history before Angel ever met Dax, and that made it even harder for Kat to take. “Yeah, who would’ve thought?” she said. “Hey, Dillon, I need the van tomorrow.”

“For what?”

“What do you care? You using it?” Her dad had gotten his license taken away the last time he’d been picked up on a DUI. It was his fifth, and his final chance with the motor vehicle department. When he called Kat, sobbing over that, she’d told him he was lucky the cops stopped him each time before he killed anyone. He’d told her that she was “cold and uncaring.” That conversation had ended up much the same as most between them did, with a lot of yelling and him hanging up on her.

He narrowed his own almond-shaped eyes at her. Kat looked just like her father. Sometimes when she looked at him she found it strange to see her own eyes staring back at her. “Why you always have to be such a smart-ass?”

She sighed. “I don’t know, Dillon. I don’t have time for analysis tonight, though; I have some cooking to do.”

“What are you cooking?” Bill asked her.

“I have to bake a cake or two.” She smiled proudly and said, “I have my first catering job tomorrow.”

“Catering job? Why would you do that? Who’s going to take care of the bar while you’re out catering?” Dillon asked.

“Seriously?” she said. “You can’t handle it for a few hours at a time without me? I mean, I know Bill here can knock ’em back pretty quickly, but since he’ll probably be our only customer, I think you’ll be okay.”

Dillon’s eyes took on that sad, nostalgic quality they got when he was sliding toward inebriation and he said, “You know, it used to be standing room only back in the day when we first came back here. People dropped in just to look at my memorabilia.” Kat sighed. He was about to go off on a tangent about his lost opportunity. He could have been the greatest running back the NFL had ever seen. One fateful night of poor decisions changed all that when he injured his knee and lost his place in the draft. Kat didn’t believe he ever really got over that. He might have, if that had been the worst that ever happened.

Early on, Dillon masked his pain with an artificial smile because it was all about keeping up appearances. He married his high school sweetheart, the captain of the cheerleading squad, and the cliché couple that would eventually be Kat’s parents moved to New Orleans.

Dillon got a job there, working for Katrina’s mother’s uncle in a bar in the French Quarter. Her mother worked at a popular bed and breakfast on Bourbon Street. Katrina was born in a hospital overlooking the Mississippi River and from the outside looking in, for the first seven years of Katrina’s life, the little family looked perfect.

From the inside, however, Katrina was an innocent, unwilling witness to the destruction that would ultimately tear them apart. Dillon couldn’t adjust from being the local golden boy on the Southside of Massachusetts to being a nobody in the French Quarter…or at least that was what Kat heard her mother say repeatedly. Her mother Cora was beautiful. She had long, dark hair, lavender eyes, and the body that went along with being the captain of the cheer team. Her job as a concierge at the B & B afforded her the opportunity to meet a lot of people…a lot of men…and she liked to flaunt those assets of hers, or so Kat heard Dillon say repeatedly.

There were passionate fights and although Kat was too young to know what was happening then, she eventually figured out that there were also passionate make-up sessions. Kat spent the time that she wasn’t at the gymnastics classes, the ones her mother pushed her to take, hiding in her room so that she didn’t have to listen to them. When they fought and when they made up, she’d turn the sound up on the TV in her room to try to drown them out. Kat was seven years old when they had their last fight. She was in her room as usual watching TV and trying to ignore the ugly things they were saying to each other. That fight seemed to last forever, finally ending with the slamming of the front door.

Kat would be woken up the next morning by the sound of the doorbell…and the detective that walked through the door when Dillon opened it would bring news that would forever change both of their lives.

Jessie Cooke writes hot romance novels about tough guys, bad boys, bikers, fighters and lovers and the women of strong character who tame them.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-10-23 17:00
Hanging the Elephant (Also: Final 2017 Halloween Bingo Read)
She Walks These Hills - Sharyn McCrumb

Well, I'm glad that this year's Halloween Bingo ended on a high note for me -- in terms of writing, that is, even if not topically.

She Walks These Hills is one of Sharyn McCrumb's Ballad novels, set in the Roan Mountain / Cherokee National Forest part of the Appalachian Mountains -- I'm guessing that the town of Hamelin, TN, featured in the novel is based on Hampton, TN.  (There actually is a Hamelin, TN, too, but it's in a different part of the state, whereas the location of Hampton fits the book's geographical references perfectly.)  The novel is named for the legend of one Katie Wyler, a pioneer girl who in 1779 was abducted by a group of Shawnee, but managed to flee from her captors and walk all the way back home, covering a distance of several hundred miles; only to be killed once she had reached what she believed to be safety -- and whose spirit is believed to still be haunting the area.  While the novel's Katie Wyler is fictitious, McCrumb based her legend on the story of several actual pioneer women who suffered a similar fate (minus being killed upon their return home); most notably, Mary Drapler Ingles

That being said, while Katie's story provides the novel's background, the actual plot weaves together the stories of several contemporary (well, 1990s) protagonists:

* Hiram "Harm" Sorley, a 60+ year old escapee from a Mountain City prison where he'd been serving a de-facto life sentence without the possibility of parole for killing an affluent neighbor some 25 years previously, and who is (rightly) believed to be trying to return to his hometown of Hamelin, TN -- never mind that he's suffering from Korsakoff's Syndrome, i.e., the memory loss condition where, though you do recall events of your remote past, your short term memory is only able to record things for very brief periods (think of the movie Mememto);

* Hamelin Deputy Sheriff Martha Avery, promoted from dispatcher to her current position (on a probationary basis) as a result of a staffing shortage, who, after volunteering for her current job in an attempt to better herself, unexpectedly finds her relationship with the town's other deputy sheriff (Joe LeDonne) on the rocks -- all the while wondering why she seems to be the only person in the office who is taking Harm Sorley's escape seriously and considering him a potential threat;

* History PhD student and teaching assistant Jeremy Cobb, who has made Katie Wyler's story his pet research project and part of his PhD thesis, and who -- though a city kid and a bookworm who hasn't even gone hiking, let alone camped out in the woods a single time in his life before -- decides there is only one way to "get close" to Katie; namely, by hiking part of the rough, lonesome wilderness trail she must have been traveling some 200 years ago (yeah, well, talk about a recipe for disaster right there);

* Henry "Hank the Yank" Kretzer, a local country & folk music DJ (originally from Connecticut, hence his nickname), who covers the Harm Sorley story on the radio and becomes interested enough to try and track down the circumstances that ended up in Harm's life sentence to begin with;

* and Harm's wife and daughter, Rita and Charlotte, who after Harm's conviction went on to live a life very different from the hillbilly / "white trash" life they had been sharing with him, and whom Rita's new middle class husband Euell had shut off from Harm entirely, enjoining them to consider his being locked up in prison forever the same thing as him being dead.

And, in addition to these and other people's stories, which dramatically converge once Harm does actually make it back to the Hamelin area, this is also the story of this particular corner of the Appalachians, whose vast forests, valleys and mountainsides very much make the area's nature and geography a character of its own, and provide for a magnificent backdrop -- and the age-old tale of history repeating itself in that the interests of the defenceless are sacrificed, sometimes very publicly, on the altar of money, power, corruption, and greed: as epitomized by the (real!) story of Mary the elephant, a circus elephant who in 1916 in Erwing, TN, was hanged by a local mob, after she had acted out against and killed a handler who had severely hurt her ... and after the circus owner had realized that as a result she had become a liability instead of the asset she had been so far, and the only way he could generate one last large wad of money out of her was by putting her on display for her public execution.  (Note: You may want to think twice about following the above link or the one in the below first footnote, or researching the story online, if you find it hard to look at images or read descriptions of animals being mistreated.  In fact, I'm going to put the whole passage from the book in which "Hank the Yank" tells the story to his listeners into spoiler tags for the same reason, too:)

"Now the circus was in a pickle. They had to choose between sacrificing an eight-thousand-dollar elephant -- that was Rolls-Royce money in 1916, folks -- or missing play dates in Johnson City and Rogersville.  And the newspaper had fired folks up so that they were screaming for her blood.  It doesn't appear that anybody considered Mary's feelings in the matter.  Ws she a victim of abuse under a  cruel and inexperienced trainer?  Did she consider her actions self-defense? [...]

Those are nineties questions, neighbors.  Nobody asked them in 1916.  The circus owner reasoned that he couldn't afford to lose money from missing show dates, and after the notoriety occasioned by Eldridge's [the handler's] death, he didn't think he could get any other show to buy her.  Apparently, he decided that the only way to profit from the experience would be to reap some free publicity by staging a spectacular public execution.

That's where Erwin comes in.  I mean, how are you going to kill an elephant?  Poison?  How many pounds would it take?  Electrocution?  I wouldn't want to be around if you miscalculated the lethal dosage and pissed her off.  But Erwin, population in 1916 two thousand, was the site of the repair shops for the Clinchfield Railroad.  It offered the circus owner a solution.  Why not hang the beast on a one-hundred-ton railroad derrick?  That's the equipment they used to lift railroad cars.  A five-ton animal would pose no problem at all for such a contraption. [...]

The circus people put a chain around her neck and hoisted her right up off the ground.  It took them two tries,* but they finally succeeded in kiling a rare and intelligent creature, that maybe had no business being enslaved in a sideshow anyhow.  Maybe she even preferred a quick death to a life of servitude.  I don't claim to be an expert on the opinions of elephants."

(spoiler show)

Hank concludes the story of Mary the elephant:

"I do know this: sometimes the law seems more concerned with shutting up mobs who are too dumb to be reasoned with than they are with dispensing justice.  Maybe you're wondering what all this has to do with one old man who took an ax to his prosperous neighbor a quarter of a century ago.  It's just a feeling I have, folks.  Something tells me that Harm was just as much a pawn as Mary was.  I think there's another side to both stories, and while we're never going to hear the truth in Mary's case, I'm still hoping that it can be unconvered for Harm Sorley."**

She Walks These Hills was published in 1994, but given recent political events both in Washington, D.C. and, inter alia, in places like the coal mining areas of West Virginia (which aren't actually so terribly far away from the area where this story is set), large parts of it still read shockingly relevant 23 years later -- now more than ever, in fact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Sensitivity warning: The below spoiler adds a detail on the hanging procedure.

(spoiler show)

**Contents spoiler warning: Don't read the below spoiler if you haven't read the book and don't want to read anything related to its conclusion.

Turns out that while Harm Sorley's action wasn't self-defense, he certainly was severely provoked -- it's at the very least debatable whether his act would genuinely have qualified as first degree murder; and if he had had the money to afford a better lawyer, he almost certainly would have gotten off with a lighter sentence.  Then again, if he'd had the money (and sophistication) to hire a better lawyer, he'd likely have resorted to different means altogether ... if that rich neighbor whom he ended up killing had dared to do what he did to him and his family in the first place.

Merken

Author: Jessie Cooke
Genre: MC Romance
Release Date: October 13, 2017
Reviewed by Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
ARC copy provided for honest review
5 stars from us

The night Levi's soulmate Krissy, got on the back of his fathers bike, it was the start of an unbelievable ride on the road to a new reality.

When you love someone so much that your souls are connected, that connection is forever.

A heart wrenching love story that will captivate you to the turn of the final page.

One night, one decision and everything changes.

This is the 5th book in the Southside Skulls MC Series.
It is a Standalone Romance Novel but characters from the previous novels, DAX, CODY, GUNNER & ZACK are in this story too.
HEA and No cliffhanger.
Intended for Mature Readers.

Julie, Goodreads - “...extremely intriguing MC romance with a mysterious story line of intense dreams and spirit….”

Julie from Spunky-n-Sassy - “This book, wow, it will blow you away.”

Zoe Levi Krissy

For me this Series keeps getting better and better.I think that this tale was by far the most emotional one yet.This story was kind of like a love triangle that consisted of the living and the dead.What surprised me the most is as you read the story you connected the dots as you went along but kept leading you back to the parties involved.As the story evolves all those coincidences started to make sense .

I love when you can connect with the characters that you read about and for me I did just that but, I could not help but love them from the onset of the story.My heart broke for both Levi,Zoe and of course Krissy .All these characters endured so much pain and sorrow and for Zoe she battled so much more.

A horrible tragedy and coincidence leads Levi to Zoe just when she needs it.From the moment they met there was this intense connection between them as well as sparks both drawn to each other.The intense feelings or connection troughs both of them off kilter. Levi is grieving from the losing the love of  his life yet this girl out of know where is stirring his lust and so much more.

I always pick a favorite character and mine this time around is going to be Zoe.I picked her because she was so brave to rise above all the things that were bringing her down and she continued fighting for this new life she wanted to create for herself.I thought her to be beautiful inside and out even with all her faults,loving giving,brave,kind ,caring,strong and determined and found her to be one of the sweetest people  all around.I loved her relationship with her Grandma and how the Grandmother never gave up on her as many times as she fell down and got up back again.That unconditional love gave her the strength to fight for her life.I love grandmas!My own was my best friend so I am so glad Zoe had someone to lean on.I love how she constantly fought her attraction for Levi all the wild knowing the were meant to be together and her attempts to keep him at arms lengths  gave me more than a few chuckles. She was such a spit- fire.

Omg ! I think I am in love with Levi .What a hunk and total bada** who was filled with so much love kindness and sweetness.An overall all super niece guy who wasn't loaded down with a tragic past but , came from a loving family.I loved how instantly he became protective of Zoe even without knowing her but for some strange reason has a huge amount of feelings for even with evening knowing her but, feeling like she his another half.Strange ,confusing and totally weird but he feels it and it scares him.I just loved him from the onset and my heart broke for him not only losing the love of his life but his father as well.The tears justed started welling up here and continued to tug at my heart strings from the beginning and until the end of the story.

I loved the story from cover to cover .The story had so many twists and turns and ups and downs it just kept you turning the pages right up to the point it was finished and I did just that even if I nodded off a few times before getting to the end.(Grins)I loved the chemistry and the sparks and the hotness that Zoe and Levi created in reality and in their dreams .The story was definitely steamy just how we like it.

I love a story that has you thinking about the story even hours after you have finished it.This story did that for me as it has you thinking is there life after death?Is there such thing as divine intervention?Are Angels Real ?Is there such a thing as reincarnation ?Can Souls transfer to one another?Even though the story is fictional in life we have seen individuals  with some amazing gifts as well a miracles and after this story is said and done it has you thinking is someone or something shaping out own fate?

A recommended read to all and this one goes into to the keep pile to be read again and again.

PS:If you like MC Romance reads that aren't overly dark, gritty and not to violent this is a series to give a try .We enjoy the other books in this series as well and they have a great cast of characters that keep gracing all the current  books still giving us a sneak peek of our favorites we have come to love.

5 stars from us

Our other Reviews in this Series!

Yet Another great read in this ongoing MC series.So far I am thinking this one is my top favorites.

I love it when the men in the story always protest so much about what they want and what they need.As always they think they just want sex and nothing more but, there is always that one that isn't so easily forgotten and when that happens I love seeing these Dark Dangerous Dominate men fall....

Zack's current women he lusts after has a complication as she has a baby and her ex is a current abusive biker from hell from a rival club and still thinks she's his old lady.What man wants all that complication?Zack that is who!He's been in deep since the minute he rescued her.

I loved this story so much from the onset and cover to cover.This story was filled with so much emotion.Some if it happy,scared,hopeful,fearful,love,regret and longing.

I always pick a favorite character in a story and mine is going to be Zack.I just loved him from the onset.Yes ,he wanted sex from from her but, it was so much more and more about protecting herself and child from harm.He always put her needs first.We saw him grow emotionally himself.He let those walls he had built around himself come down long enough to put his trust in someone he loved and cared about.I though he was smart,sexy,kind protective,loving and caring and an all around super guy.I loved how protective her was of Nicole  and her child from the start.I found myself falling in love with him myself. I loved as we saw him fall in love with the child as well as Nicole.I loved all the things a dad does for their child and Zack never realized that he was playing that part throughout their courtship .Smiles...

Nicole on the other hand I found to be determined,loving,caring,fearful and had a bit of a backbone.Nicole was determined to make a life for herself and that of her child.I will say that she annoyed me at times as she was just so stubborn and disregarded her safety even knowing her ex would keep trying to harm her.I hated how her stubbornness made It so hard for them to protect her.I just wanted to smack her so many times for being so stupid knowing all the time what her ex Spider was already capable of.

I loved the chemistry,the passion and the emotion that this couples sexual situations wrought.They made a really cute couple and the perfect family this is something Zack secretly longed for.I so wanted to to finally find some peace and happiness and someone to love him and I am glad he did I was rooting for him.

My heart broke for Zack and the up bringing he had.I have to say that I detested his mother from the onset of their meeting.I felt relieved that justice was served when It came to her.I so wanted to smack that bitch every-time she opened her mouth and I am so not a violent person. LOL

I loved it.Loved the plot the characters and the twists and turns the story took.We even got the chance to have some of our other favorite MC members grace our pages in this current story and I loved seeing them again with all the quirky personalities their love and loyalty toward one another.

Well Done!

Recommend read to all and of course the rest of this series we are loving it!

5 stars from us

Cody was a new character that we finally got to know after hearing so much about him.Cody has been connected to the MC through Dax but is not an actual member more like Dax's adopted son.Cody has not gotten over the girl he has left behind since going to prison .With him not being able to let go of the past and move on himself he gets caught up in a love triangle that is not going to end well as it is going to cause problems among the MC.Their is actually more then one love triangle he has involved himself in.Theirs Jimmy,himself and Macy and then their is him,Harley and Kyle.

Cody's former flame is now with his best friend who has now become a full pledged member of the club and Macy is his old lady.This definitely stirs things up between him and his former girlfriend now that they are in close proximity of one another.
(All those unresolved feelings and all that)

I really felt horrible for Cody for losing the one person who kept him going during his stint in prison  .He has lost the love of his life as she had moved on.Even though you can't blame her for moving on it's hard for him to let go the one person you always thought was  your very own soul mate.He will be dealt an even bigger blow once he learns her secret. We just wanted to hug him for the sadness that surrounds him.

I normally pick a favorite character in a story and mine is going to be Harley this time around,That chick was a breath of fresh air among all the chaos.I found Harley to be fun,daring smart,sexy and a bit of a free spirit. Harley was sunshine and was always upbeat and she seemed happy all of the time.How could you not love her as she was intoxicating .I loved how she lived in the moment and be damed the consequences.You could not help but love her feisty personality.

I loved no matter how many bad decisions Cody kept making his brothers always had his back supporting him as well as forgiving him and still willing to help avenge his brother death.Support,love Loyalty!

What a complicated story this turned out to be.There was so much going on in this story that kept you so engrossed. Omg! Cody's life was really a train wreck.Everything and anything just kept happening to him whether it was his own making or just fate.First he finds out the girl he loves ended up with his best friend and feels betrayed by both of them then he rekindles a friendship from his past who is involved with another man and has her acting on her own feelings that she has always carried for you involving you in yet another love triangle.(Not that he wasn't a willing participant but he is suppose to be getting his act together and moving on with his life in a positive direction ).All this while you are carrying a torch for your ex that you are currently perusing.Sounds like a soap opera right?Can you say complicated ? Then you keep making one misstep after another that could land you dead or in prison again.What's next ?

I normally pick a favorite character in a story and mine is going to be Harley this time around,That chick was a breath of fresh air among all the chaos.I found Harley to be fun,daring smart,sexy and a bit of a free spirit. Harley was sunshine and always upbeat and she seemed happy all of the time.How could you not love her she was intoxicating .I loved how she lived in the moment and be damed the consequences.You could not help but love her feisty personality.

The story was filled with so many surprises as wells as twists and turns which dealt with death,revenge,love,laughter,secrets coming to light. Its also about letting go of ones past and forgiving one another .A real page turner from beginning to end with  a bunch of love-able and engrossing cast of characters as well as a very complicated plot.

This book goes into the keeper pile and another fantastic tale in this continuing series.

5 stars from us

First lets start off by saying this is a new author for us and we loved our first read by them.For some reason I have been reading a lot of MC romance of late as it has all the elements I love in those kinds of books and is becoming one of my favorite genes to read and this author did not disappoint.

I loved Angel and Dax from the onset.Angel was the sweet and kind,smart,sexy witty,and found herself having a thing for bad boys. Dax well he was swoon worthy,had a Dominate personality,had a dangerous aura about him but most of all he seemed to be a totally different person around Angel.Angel made him feel things which you saw him struggle with on how he was handling those feelings.Most of all I loved seeing him happy as you had some idea that his life and not full joy or happiness.

I loved the chemistry this couple had between them as it made for some really hot sexual encounters and their we many of them.Holy hotness!

I really enjoyed the plot as you were on edge the entire story waiting for the axe to fall.This wasn't the kind of love story that had you thinking about happily ever afters.The story really was a page turner from beginning to end and had you engrossed the entire time.

My heart went out to Angel as you felt all of the things she was experiencing emotionally with the conflict of her doing her job and her love for Dax. Once the secret is exposed my heart broke for Dax for one he completely opened himself up to Angel let her in and trusted her completely and two after the childhood he had he actually opened his heart to care about someone and when he fell for her he fell hard.The devastation he felt at her betrayal was heart breaking .I think my eyes starting tearing up as it was the most emotional scene in the entire story.

I loved when you can connect with the characters that you read about and I was able to do that with this couple.I loved them from the start and when that happens I know that I am going to love the story from cover to cover.

Other than saying wow and that don't know what else there is left to say.This story was action packed ,had drama,surprises,secrets coming to life and one really big OMG moment that I did not see coming.I have to say I loved the ending as well as that was another OMG moment. I never saw it coming but, I loved how everything had turned out in the long run.

Well done loved it and we recommend this read to all.Can't wait for the next installment in this series.

5 stars form us

Final thoughts: I love when a story is unpredictable and this was definitely one of those stories.