logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: BookLikes
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-29 17:25

Release Date: June 25, 2018
Cover Design: Cassy Roop at Pink Ink Designs
Reviewed by Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
5 stars

Hayden was created by a man named after the devil himself. She is a survivor. A girl who has seen more of hell than any one person ever should.

A new life was handed to her, when the Notorious Devils saved her.

Crooner had a family of blood once. Orphaned, his life seemed to fall apart, until he met the Notorious Devils.

He had all the family he thought he needed. That is, until a teenage single mother in need of protecting is thrown into his path.

He knows he’s no good for her. She’s too tempting to resist. Their road will be rough—their journey is not for the weak.

*Recommended for readers 18+ due to Violence, Language and Sexual Content

Let's start off by saying that Hayley is one of my favorite author's as she always creates wonderful character's for us to love and cry over each and every-time.

Crooner & Hayden made one hot super couple.the sparks and chemistry and the love they had for one another made it so easy to love and read about them and their amazing love story.

Hayden and Crooner have had past history albeit not a intimate one as Crooner took part in saving her from a hellish life that was filled with abuse and sexual slavery but, from the moment they meet each other they forged a bond with one another that would last a lifetime. The connection and trust between them was so strong that it was easy for Hayden to start trusting someone again and begin the healing process and Crooner was a big part of that.We fell in love with Crooner for the patience and kindness he showed her and her child.From the very beginning of their meeting each other Crooner started falling in love even though he fought it every step of the way.
Omg ! his constant push and pull antic's became priceless'''
lol

I loved how they deeply cared for one another even when they were apart and that their intense friendship developed into so much more.

" I loved how it all unfolded once Crooner decided to take what had always been his!"

I always pick a favorite character and my choice this time around is going to be Crooner as I just loved him from the start.I loved that he was trying to be selfless along with being protective,caring,kind, and dangerous to those who tried to hurt the ones he loved.I found his personality to be larger than life even along with having that dark and dangerous side to him to that we love as well.What I loved most about him was the way he was with baby Easton and how he stepped right into father mode without even realizing it it was something that just came so naturally to him.

I love the lit bit of a cat and mouse game this couple had going on as Crooner was obsessing over Hayden and protecting her from himself  and yet fighting the inevitable .He reminded me of a caged tiger more than once.

"It was like whiplash sometimes lol."I understood Crooners reasonings but, I even saw from the beginning it was a doomed cause as he lost his heart to Easton and Hayden from the very beginning of their acquaintance.I think it was love at first sight for him for them both of them.

I have to mention that it amazed me at the strength and determination Hayden had. I loved the way she loved Easton with her whole heart considering that he came into this world because something was taken from her that was not freely given just makes her more amazing to me.Selfless love......

I have to say that I really loved the story from beginning to end as the story line dabbled into subject content that is a growing concern for women today and that if you are strong enough you can rise above the ashes.I loved  how something positive came out of a very bad situation and that meeting someone and other someones gave a beautiful soul a second chance at a new life.The story became very emotional at times as both Crooner and Hayden's demons kept creeping up and interfering in their new found relationship but, I loved how they just had to find their way together to overcome those obstacles.

Just made their love stronger....

I will say that as much as I loved see this couple happy and the love grow between them I knew that their happily ever after was going to be a rocky one and it broke my heart for the trials that they would have to incur but, knew one filled  with patience ,kindness and understanding would help them to achieve their kind of happiness they both deserved.

Another amazing hot and scorching read that was filled with a great cast of characters that made you laugh as well a want to cry.

Hot ! Hot! Hot!

I loved when you connect with the characters you read about and I was able to do that as both the main characters Hayden and Crooner and Easton were just so easy to love from the onset of the story.

Recommended read to all! Be sure to check out the first book in the Cash Bar series as that story was just as amazing!

I was born and raised in California. My husband and I met when I was just 16. We were married a few years later, moving to Oregon while he was in the US Coast Guard. Texas is now where we call home, where our boots rest, and where we're raising our two little boys and a chocolate lab named Optimus Prime.

review 2018-06-15 16:00
BLOG TOUR REVIEW: 'Dive Smack' by Demetra Brodsky
Dive Smack - Demetra Brodsky

I'm so excited for the release of this book, and I'm thrilled to be on the blog tour because of how amazing the book is. This was an easy 5-star read for me; as soon as I put the book down when I was finished, I was engulfed with strong (all good!) feelings for it; I’ll share more in my review!

Thanks again to the amazing Fantastic Flying Book Club for having me on this blog tour; I’m especially grateful to have been on this one!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: DEMETRA BRODSKY (she's amazing, by the way)

Demetra Brodsky is an award-winning graphic designer & art director turned writer. She has a B.F.A from the Massachusetts College of Art and Design and lives in Southern California with her family of four and two lovable rescue dogs. Dive Smack, her debut novel, is dedicated to Pumpkin, the monarch butterfly she once saved from the brink of death. Once you read the book, you’ll understand why. She is a first generation Greek-American and a member of International Thriller Writers. Dive Smack is a 2018 Junior Library Guild Selection.

CONNECT & BUY THE BOOK!

***You can find all her links to connect with her *HERE* and EVERY single link to PREORDER and BUY her book (via Amazon, B&N, Target, Powells, iBooks, EVERYWHERE, ie, you have NO excuse). There are some great preorder incentives (yes, I've already got my order in!).

There is also an audiobook sample, a book excerpt, and even a Dive Smack Spotify playlist!

You can find her on Twitter as demetrabrodsky!

SO...THE BOOK!

DIVE SMACK by Demetra Brodsky

Category: Young Adult, Contemporary
Release Date: June 19th, 2018; Tor Teen

SYNOPSIS:

Theo Mackey only remembers one thing for certain about the fire that destroyed his home: he lit the match.

Sure, it was an accident. But the blaze killed his mom and set his dad on a path to self-destruction. Everything else about that fateful night is full of gaping holes in Theo’s mind, for good reason. Maybe it’s better that way. As captain of the Ellis Hollow Diving Team, with straight A’s and solid friends, he’s only one semester away from securing a scholarship, and leaving his past behind.

But when a family history project gets assigned at school, new memories come rushing to the surface, memories that make him question what he really knows about his family, the night of the fire, and if he can trust anyone—including himself.

MY REVIEW:

So it was quite easy to give this twisty and exciting psychological YA thriller a 5-star review. It has been harder to put into words every single thing as to why, because I was so taken by surprise by Demetra’s brilliant debut novel. It seems as though from the moment I laid eyes on the beautiful cover for ‘Dive Smack’ (the flames above a young man plunging into the water), I needed to read it. And then I was immediately lost inside this book from the opening two quotes, particularly this one from Carl Jung,

"Your vision will become clear when you look inside your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens."

What a way to start the book!

If you read the synopsis of the book above, you'll know by now that it’s about Theo Mackey, a high school springboard diver who has had both of his parents pass away tragically, and then he starts to question the memories he has of the fire that killed his mom, particularly as new ones surface as he researches a family project for school. Theo luckily has some great friends he can count on, but he lives with his alcoholic grandfather (GP), and he's starting to find his home life and new stressors are affecting his usually perfect diving, something he can’t afford to screw up, being the captain of Team Monarch. And the big school family project is what really starts to mess with Theo’s understanding of the fire, his family, and this makes him question what’s going on in his head. It seems he’s gradually losing his grip. That’s really what leads him to get more help from Dr. Maddox, a family friend and psychiatrist.

*Note: I’m leaving a LOT of story/plot out, so there are no spoilers.

Now that’s a very basic overview of what you are getting yourself into with this, but it goes from being a book about this likable guy on the diving team at a high school (and I now know so much more about springboard diving beyond my watching the Olympics every four years), to being a very clever, psychological thriller with details and twists I never expected. Demetra has employed some very clever writing devices that make this a standout: I love the way she begins each chapter with a diving term that correlates to the part of the story that it contains (note that Dive Smack is pretty painful), which is absolute genius. Her writing is also very fluid, and weaving interludes with the past and other ‘voices’ are done seamlessly. Also, since this is a thriller, the pacing builds up steadily to an eventual crescendo, within an ending where all the tense energy flows throughout the end chapters.

Theo is such a well-fleshed out character (as are Chip, Iris, Amy, and others), that you really get a feel for who this guy is; Demetra has created so many endearing things about about him, that you can’t help but root for him the whole way through: we know he has two moles on his face, his car is called Bumblebee after the Transformer, he likes classic rock, and of course, he's an orphan. And he likes to use puns.

But the real treat in this book is how it ropes you in (it gets better and better the deeper you dive in: pun intended), how it becomes way more than a book about a few high schoolers; it becomes about a sensitive young man uncovering his past and the deception that is swirling around him. Then the massive and very dark twist at the end takes the reader, and Theo, by surprise, making this precisely what earns this book its top marks. It left me tearful, it made me laugh, AND gasp. I can’t wait to see what comes from Demetra next, especially if it’s another thriller as riveting and original as this one.

*And just so you know - Dive Smack: When a diver under or over rotates or twists on a dive, hitting the water with enough force to cause pain or physical injury.

GIVEAWAY:

Hardcover copy of DIVE SMACK by Demetra Brodsky & Prize pack of necklace, bracelet, signed bookmark, & signed book plate! US only, ends 6/26.

Click *HERE* to enter the giveaway. Good luck!!

To continue following the tour, this will take you to the DIVE SMACK BLOG TOUR SCHEDULE.

That was a long one, I hope you read it all! If you go back to the first post on the tour you can read a great interview with Demetra (surprisingly she is NOT a diver, and I was so stoked to find out she also loves Teen Wolf).

I hope you add this to your TBR, and buy this book! Happy reading!

x Katherine

PS. #TeamMonarch

review 2018-06-15 04:15
'Jolie' (who has an underbite) is such a heartfelt and funny book; all the right high-school bookish tropes are there and they're PERFECT
Things Jolie Needs to Do Before She Bites It - Kerry Winfrey

I read this book just about at the perfect time; after reading seven dark thrillers, mysteries, and moody fantasies, I needed something to cleanse my literary palette and get me back to 'bookish square zero'.

This really was a delightful read, taking me to all the right places that I hoped a book like this would. It revolves around Jolie Peterson, who is sixteen, in high school, and has an underbite, which is medical termed as 'mandibular prognathism' (I didn't even know that, and my dog has the most severe underbite; he was my motivator for requesting an early copy of this book - yes, really). Jolie has spent her entire life NOT wanting the spotlight before of her teeth, but also preparing for surgery to 'fix her face' so that she can end the headaches, chew properly, and stop feeling like she's different from everyone else. She wrestles with the questions of what makes someone beautiful, just like a lot of young people do, whether they have a misaligned jaw or not, and it takes her a long time to realize that many people worry if they're good enough, smart enough, pretty enough.

While she prepares for this long-awaited surgery, so many things come up for Jolie, and it may seem like you're reading a book with all the high-school literary tropes crammed into it. But it's DONE SO WELL. She is dreading the surgery and creates a list of things she must do in case she dies under anesthesia, and these naturally include doing things like finally kissing a boy. But she also dares to try out for the school musical, and guess what, she is amazing when she auditions and she gets the lead. She also has the best of friends since kindergarten and one that happens to be a guy, Derek, and she's just now realizing he's hot. This always presents a massive problem.

You may think you have read this before but the author, Kerry Winfrey, writes ALL these scenarios and these characters with so much sincerity and originality, that they are not ones that I'd met before. The male high school boys are ones with honest concern for their female counterparts. The female high schoolers are smart, and Winfrey didn't see it necessary to play the 'mean girl' card, or have Jolie really bash herself into the ground to come to her final conclusions about self-esteem and beauty (although she does a lot of natural questioning and normal comparisons). Characters acknowledge their mistakes in ways that make sense, without being preachy, and I love the tone of the writing throughout the novel because of this. I also totally enjoyed the TV obsessions of the family, and the 'Terrible Movie Night' Jolie and Derek share.

This is a light and funny book, with some bigger issues like self-esteem, and dealing with grief and changing friendships within it, but it's ultimately about Jolie's chance to shine, to change, to grow. Her voice is charming and heartfelt, and the book left me in such a great place, feeling like I knew all these great people!

Source: www.goodreads.com/book/show/35795890-things-jolie-needs-to-do-before-she-bites-it
review 2018-06-13 01:34
Ruth Ware has done it again with this gothic mystery; Agatha Christie would be proud!
The Death of Mrs. Westaway - Ruth Ware

Ruth Ware has done it again! 'The Death of Mrs. Westaway' is even better than her last book, 'The Lying Game', and for me, that's saying quite a bit. I completely fell for Ware's writing and storytelling with that book (bonus points were given for taking me back to my boarding school days in Sussex), and I knew I had found my new favorite mystery author.

'The Death of Mrs. Westaway' takes the reader to Sussex again, this time to 'sunny' Brighton, where Hal - Harriet Westaway - has a job as a tarot card reader on the pier, which is what her mother used to do before she was killed suddenly by a car, leaving her alone and scraping by. As the bills are piling up and the dodgy 'bill-collector' keeps popping up, so does a letter saying that she has inherited a large sum of money by a mysterious and very old Mrs. Westaway. Although Hal realizes there is some mistake with the connection to her and her mother, she decides to go to the funeral at the Trespassen House out by Penzance. She wants a chance at just a bit of that money, and to figure out some family secrets that she feels her mum left behind.

Now that's a very rough, short synopsis. Since I'm from England, I have the fortune of reading Ruth Ware's books and imagining the English countryside, the Brighton pier, the foggy desolation around the abandoned mansion that is Trespassen House. But what is so glorious about Ware's writing is that she is able to create such atmosphere and mood, that she can conjure up imagery (I'm pretty sure) so effectively that it envelopes the story entirely, without having had to have been over there. In 'Westaway', the mansion and the grounds basically become a character of their own, and the gothic and dark images of Trespassen House are so well-written they come alive.

What also makes this novel so successful are the other family members make for a great ensemble, the secrets that swirl around slowly reveal themselves throughout the novel at the perfect pace, and Ware shows the reader what happened in the past without seeming contrived. It all fit so perfectly. And I never saw that ending coming! My biggest complaint was that I read it too quickly because once I picked the book up, I couldn't put it down.

It’s no coincidence that the current ‘Mistress Of Mystery’ has been so heavily influenced by Agatha Christie (and Daphne du Maurier) because Ware feels like the Christie of today.

review 2018-05-31 16:41
Book Review for Maybe Don't Wanna by Lani Lynn Vale

Title: Maybe Don't Wanna
Series: The Simple Man Series #2
Author: Lani Lynn Vale
Genre: Romance Suspense
Release Date: May 4, 2018

Peter Parker Penn.

Unlike the superhero his mother named him after, Parker is no good guy.

In fact, if there’s a picture in the dictionary under anti-hero, it’s his.

Parker’s spent his life trying to get back on the right side of the tracks, but each step he takes forward, he takes two more steps back.

To save one, he hurts others. To make this good, he turns that bad.

For appearances’ sake, he plays the part. He does what people expect him to do—mostly. And at the end of each day, he goes back to his lonely apartment and wishes he was a different person. One who could fix the things he’s broken.

Then Kayla Nash forces her way into his life, and the world as he knows it is irrevocably changed.

Everything he thinks he has right is wrong. And everything he thinks is wrong is oh, so right.

One thing leads to another, and suddenly he’s growing a conscience, and trying to prove to her that he’s as bad as everybody says he is.

Yet she won’t listen.

She’s convinced that she can save him.

Little does she know, Parker isn’t worth saving, and never will be.

Let's start off by saying that I just love this author's books as each and every-time I read something of hers she just wow's me.

Right from the beginning of this story Kayla and Janie had me laughing up a storm and out loud more than once and I continued just that to the very end of the story.I loved the story from the beginning to the very end and everything in between.

What I loved most about this story was the amazing cast of character's that it had.I also loved Kayla's and Janie's  friendship as these two together where just a hoot as they made you laugh and cry and the bond and love between them was just heart warming. Omg! and their
childhood pack that Janie and Kayla made when they were children were still to be honored between them even in adulthood so says Janie.An example of that was Kayla had two years to have a child so that their children could be best friends just like them.

One of the funniest moments for me in this story was when Kayla totally straight faced and serious looked to Janie and spoke "So does that mean your husband is going to be the sperm donor?"

(referring to their pack promises)

Just a priceless moment and oh so funny!

I also have to say that the bewilderment on Rafe face when said question was asked is priceless as well not really realizing all that was going on around him and his shocked expressions followed by giggles.You have to know Jake's character beforehand to realized just hope priceless this moment really was.

(lol and grins)

I always pick a favorite character and mine this time around is going to be Kayla Omg! Kayla's character made me laugh the entire story and I just loved her from the onset of the story.I found her to be funny,witty and had a sense of humor,love-able and she also had and an amazing personality and highly protective of those she loved.

I loved the story itself and although it made me laugh quite a bit the story itself was filled with tons of heart wrenching moments.Both character's Kayla and Parker lost almost all their loved ones and dealing with their losses took a toll on both of these characters.Parker's heartache was more pronounced as his choices in life lead to him being parted from some of those family members.I loved that Parker changed his life for the better and made a difference the best way he could.I loved how he was with Kayla as it was the first time in a really long time did he started to feel again and opened up to one he learned to trust to speak about his regrets and past.Loved that he felt happiness not darkness.I loved how he opened up to Kayla and showed her just who he believed himself to be the good and the bad.

I loved how the romance developed between Kayla and Parker and how a beautiful friendship between them turned into so much more.Kayla and Parker were perfect for one another and just what the other needed age difference be damned.

The bottom-line is "I loved the super sweet love story and how the author created the perfect ending to a amazing story that had me bawling my eyes out."

I love when you can connect with the characters you read about and I did just that as I loved Kayla and Parker right from the onset of the story.Overall the whole book had a cast of amazing characters that made us laugh and well as cry creating the perfect mix.

A recommend read to all!

5 stars from us

I’m a married mother of three. My kids are all under 9, so I can assure you that they are a handful. I’ve been with my paramedic husband now for ten years, and we’ve produced three offspring that are nothing like us. I live in the greatest state in the world, Texas.