logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: BookLikes
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-24 09:28
Book Review for Wolf Tales 12 by Kate Douglas
  • Wolf Tale 12 Exposed by Kate Douglas
  • Kindle Edition
  • File Size: 572 KB
  • Print Length: 437 pages
  • Publisher: Beyond the Page (January 23, 2018)
  • Publication Date: January 23, 2018
  • Reviewed by Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
  • Arc copy provided from Netgallery
  • 5 stars from us
Blurb

The final thrilling installment in the groundbreaking Wolf Tales series that captivated the world of erotic romance!

Even as their numbers have grown and they’ve spread out across the country, the Chanku have remained deeply connected by their mutual need for erotic pleasure and their unique shapeshifting abilities. Content to pursue their sensual way of life in relative anonymity, they’re stunned when their extraordinary nature is unavoidably revealed to the world at large—and fearful of the dangers they face from those who fear their differentness.

Realizing that the distance between them makes them vulnerable, they answer the silent call for all Chanku to come together at their pack alpha’s home in Montana. And in that setting, as they struggle to understand their new place in the world and defend themselves against suspicious and violent adversaries, they will discover a shocking revelation about their origins and their legacy.

As the pack adapts to these new realities and reclaims their primal past, they will embark on a journey that will take them into uncharted territory and open up a spectacular, unimagined future . . .

Wow ! What an ending to a enjoyable series.The author did an amazing job ending her Wolf Tales series and we are going to miss so many of her amazing characters.

It;s been sometime since I read anything from this author but, somehow I lost track of this book series and after reading this current book I need to revisit the series and start from the beginning again and finish up the books I missed as I forgot how much I enjoyed this series.
Although, when reading the ending of this story I pretty much new most of the characters that I had loved in the previous books in the series and it was nice to get reacquainted with them.

I always pick a favorite character in a story that I rave about but, this time around it was just to hard to just pick one so I am going to tell you all about the ones I loved the most.

Anton is the pack Alpha leader and just an amazing man who is filled with a abundance of love for all,caring,kind,smart,daring,sharp minded,sexy devious, an a planner but, most of all I loved the closeness and the amazing relationship he had with his his daughter Lily and his children.He melted my heart...I loved the amazing relationship he had with his wife Keisha and longtime lover Stephan.I loved how each and every night how he seeks out his pack mates and their children to make sure they were all safe and sound.If I wasn't a bit in love with him before I was totally in love with him when he took part in the birth of Liana and Adams third child being born.I was in total awe....

Adam & Logan just blew me away with their amazing healing abilities and what they can accomplish.They save lives of their pack mates,tried to heal a women who had been in a wheelchair their whole life as well as healing injured animals .All these men are affectionate,kind,loving,protective,sexual,caring and will do anything to protect their women and children above all else.Although, they a deadly as hell when the need arises.

Lily Antons daughter stole the show this time around.I loved this little girl from the onset of the story.Lily's abilities are astounding for just a little girl of six but when she sets out on a quest to save her people all on her own traveling between dimensions she just blew me away with her braveness and determination.I was on pins and needles just like her parents awaiting her return praying she was safe a sound.How could I not love her she was so sweet and a amazing little girl.This little girl made her fall in love with her character from the very first pages and she just broke my heart when she when missing.What a brave little girl she turned out to be!

I have to mention that these men of this pack would be lost without their women and their children.Their mates are their whole world.They make them the amazing men they are.Their women are strong,protective and as deadly as their men.I love these men and women and the love they had for everyone in their pack as it was so amazing to see as you actually feel the love they have for one another.You know in your heart they would give their life to protect and save one another.

We have to mention Sunny a new member to the pack who was lost to them and now saved.Sunny amazed me at every turn first for everything she had to overcome and accepted and grew in just a short amount of time adapting to her new life and surroundings.Overall though we loved all the characters with all of what they all have had to overcome as well as the capacity to love with their whole hearts and how each of them had some sort of amazing ability making them unique.And lets not forget the mind sharing which is totally awesome.

To sum up everything this story was an amazing read from cover to cover and once I started I could not put it down until I was finished with it.I loved how the author tied up any lose ends that we might of had on how the Chanku evolved over the years and how they originated and came to be.The story line was interesting and it had so many new things coming to light about their members and their children and as a race as a whole that just kept you glued to the pages to see what was going to happen next.

I have to say that we will be sorry to see these characters go but, that is what is so great about reading about them in books as you can revisit them anytime you want.We loved it !

I will be revisiting this series soon enough and catching up on a few stories we missed in this series.

Recommended real to all but , I would suggest you read the series in order though.

Series order here !

Some people just seem to know they are meant to write, but it can still take a while to figure out exactly what their career will entail. Kate Douglas started out writing radio copy for a country western radio station in 1972, wrote and illustrated an educational cartoon strip for the American Mosquito Control Association for a number of years, was a newspaper reporter for a small town weekly where she covered everything from high school sports to drug busts, and then, in the mid-1980s, decided to write her first romance.

Many submissions and rejections followed.

In 1998, she sold to a small ebook publisher before anyone knew what an ebook was, but it wasn't until 2005, a full twenty years after finishing that first romance, that she signed with a New York publisher.

In January 2006, Kensington Publishing launched their Aphrodisia imprint of erotic romance with Kate's Wolf Tales, a sexy paranormal series about a lost race of shapeshifters. She went on to write 21 novels and novellas in that series, then wrote three other series for Kensington before moving to St. Martin's Press.

She has two series with SMP--The Intimate Relations series complete with three novels and one novella of romantic suspense set in California's wine country, and an erotic paranormal series, Feral Passions, set in California's Trinity Alps.

She is also continuing her Spirit Wild series, the sequel to Wolf Tales, independently.

Kate and her husband of over forty-five years have two adult children and six grandchildren. They live in the small town of Healdsburg, California, in the heart of the beautiful Sonoma County wine country.

www.katedouglas.com and www.katedouglas.com/eroticromance for full chapter excerpts of all of Kate's books.

You can find Kate on Facebook at www.facebook.com/katedouglas.authorpage or on Twitter @wolftales

review 2018-02-24 06:22

• Language: English
  • ASIN: B079SVZ762
Arc copy provided for Honest Review

Blurb

From the second you are born, the shaping begins.
Who you are.
Who you’ll become.
Where your life will lead.
What kind of heart you’ll have.
If you’ll be good, or bad.
From your very first breath, those around you influence everything about you.
I was influenced by the worst. By a monster. A cold hearted, soulless man.
But I got away.
I started fresh.
I reshaped myself.
Only now, my past is catching up with me.
My demons have returned.
And they’re back with a vengeance.
The only protection I have is a Motorcycle Club.
I helped them. Now they’re helping me.
With a large hit on my head, I’m hustled into the mountains with one very broody, very angry, very gorgeous biker.
He has a mission. A secret bigger than even mine.
And he wants the blood of the monster after me.
He’s been assigned to protect me.
He gets on every nerve I have left.
The tension between us is high.
And we’re stuck alone.
In the middle of the wilderness.
Things are about to get...interesting.

Purchase Links

AMAZON US / UK / CA / AU
Available at other retailers soon
Another great read for us I have to say we are loving this authors books.I will say that this story is not for the faint of heart as the story contains strong violence,abuse and rape as long as murder and is very graphic with the details of those things making the book more gripping and having you glued to the pages as I wanted revenge for all these misdeeds right along with Koda and Charlie.

The story was heart wrenching as both Koda and Charlie have been left broken because of this man's evil deeds they both know him as Shanks who also turned out to be Charlie's father .As I kept reading and learned all that Charlie suffered and had gone through it was enough to leave your heart aching for her.I honestly don't know how she survived such brutally but ,though it all as bad as it was it just made her a survivor.

I need to go back to the beginning and read how Charlie actually got hooked up with this MC but , I get the gist that she did a good deed and now she has their protection at her back.Oh man these men are bunch of hot bad-asse's. They all are just so yummy...

I always pick a favorite character in the story I am reading and this time around mine is going to be Charlie.I loved Charlie from the onset this women was a bad-ass in her own right.Charlie was a loner with a tortured soul but, she had the capacity to love with one wholes heart whether with the friendships she forged or the man she desired.Charlie surprised me the most as I was amazed that her brutal life did not rob her of the capacity to love her childhood did not break her after all.I loved the camaraderie she had with the women in the MC as it was the only time she let herself go and enjoy life and that we got to see to her laugh and be happy even if they were stolen moments in time.
I loved that she was strong,loving,smart,feisty,had a smart mouth,had a sense of humor and was sexy and a backbone made of steel.I loved the chemistry her and Koda created even though he fought it most of the time. Koda & Charlie had a love hate relationship but, my thought from the onset of their attraction to one another is that they were just to alike and lived in constant pain and regrets. Koda and Charlie definitely had heat and sparks between them and then throw Mason into the mix and things were even hotter.

Koda, Omg! loved this bruting broken man from the onset of the story.You felt the pain this man lived in and his constant regrets at not being able to save his twin brother.It hurts even more when that brother is your own twin and your connected to them in ways others can't understand.The more I read about him the only thing I wanted to do is just go up and hug this man and console and inconsolable man.On the other hand I wanted to smack him more than once for his treatment toward Charlie especially knowing somewhat of what she suffered at the hands at that monster they call her father.I just wanted more than once to tell him to wake up before its to late Charlie can heal you and you her.

We loved it from cover to cover.The story had you engrossed  from the first few pages as the story was dark with danger lurking at every corner and held a great cast of characters for you to love.I love a story when two broken souls find one another and by loving each other put you on a path of healing and letting go of old ghosts and letting go of all those horrible things that kept you in the dark for so long and giving you a chance for happiness.

I am so looking forward to this series as it continues and will be reading the others in this series I missed.

5 stars from us

Personal note: Be sure to check out this authors other MC series if you liked them dark and dangerous, gritty,with hot men with sexual appetites that are hard and foul mouthed but, hotter then hell!

Also Available

Author Bio

Bella Jewel is a self published, USA Today bestselling author. She’s been publishing since 2013. Her first release was a contemporary romance, Hell’s Knights which topped the charts upon release. Since that time, she has published over five novels, gaining a bestseller status on numerous platforms. She lives in North Queensland and is currently studying editing and proofreading to further expand her career. Bella has been writing since she was just shy of fifteen years old. In Summer 2013 she was offered an ebook deal through Montlake Romance for her bestselling modern day pirate series, Enslaved By The Ocean. She plans to expand her writing career, planning many new releases for the future.

Author Links

review 2018-02-04 23:54
Review: Annihilation, by Jeff Vandermeer
Annihilation - Jeff VanderMeer
Annihilation is a beautiful mindfuck of a book. Told in evocative, meticulous prose, it describes an expedition into an uncharted and sinister terrain. Four women, referred to only by their titles - biologist, psychologist, anthropologist, surveyor - are recruited by the Southern Reach, a shadowy government agency, to venture into a region of south Florida known as Area X. Once a lightly-populated coastal wilderness adjoining a military base, an incomprehensible Event some thirty years ago transformed the landscape into an ominous grotesque, a deadly but ineffable biological menace. Like a cancer, the tainted biosphere seems to have arisen from its own rotted DNA. And, like a cancer, Area X is growing.

Theirs is the twelfth expedition. During their training, the members were not told much about the fate of their predecessors - only that the first expedition reported nothing unusual, "just pristine, empty wilderness". But the second expedition ended in mass suicide, and the third slaughtered each other. The Southern Reach no longer permits expedition members to bring weapons.

The biologist, our narrator, has a more personal connection to the program than her compatriots do: Her husband had been a member of the eleventh expedition. He returned, or his body did, but he had been reduced to some kind of shell or facsimile. He evinced a blank and dreamlike demeanor, and spoke seldom. Within six months of his return, he died from an aggressive, mysterious cancer. The seven other members of his expedition, she later learned, had all met the same fate.

The biologist's expertise in transitional environments qualifies her for the expedition, but her motives for joining are personal. It's not so much that she aches to learn what really happened to her husband, but that she covets the serenity he had apparently found on his journey: "At the time, I was seeking oblivion, and I sought in those blank, anonymous faces, even the most painfully familiar, a kind of benign escape. A death that would not mean being dead."

In this book, Vandermeer juxtaposes those heartbreakingly human desires against the unknowable, alien intelligence of Area X - this sinister, inexorable force that reads, remakes, infects, transforms. The region teems with tortured beings: turgid monsters with human eyes, crumbling villages full of strangely anthropoid vegetation, a distant moaning at twilight. And a tower buried in the ground, with walls that seem to sweat, and breathe, inscribed with ominous words made of insects and mold.

It is the tower that dominates the narrative from the very beginning. Annihilation has one of the best opening paragraphs I have ever read, which perfectly sets the tone:
The tower, which was not supposed to be there, plunges into the earth in a place just before the black pine forest begins to give way to swamp and then the reeds and wind-gnarled trees of the marsh flats. Beyond the marsh flats and the natural canals lies the ocean and, a little farther down the coast, a derelict lighthouse. All of this part of the country had been abandoned for decades, for reasons that are not easy to relate. Our expedition was the first to enter Area X for more than two years, and much of our predecessors' equipment had rusted, their tents and sheds little more than husks. Looking out over that untroubled landscape, I do not believe any of us could yet see the threat.
As the biologist descends into the tower, the words that spiral down its walls begin to infect her frame of mind. Formed of living mold, she inhales their spores, and she starts to grasp their terrible meaning: "Where lies the strangling fruit that came from the hand of the sinner I shall bring forth the seeds of the dead..."

Contaminated by the tissue and the mind of Area X, the biologist's consciousness starts to mutate and the boundaries between herself and the landscape begin to blur. Exploring further into the wilderness, toward the foreboding lighthouse at its center, the unraveling expedition strays farther and farther from its ostensible purpose, as one by one its members succumb to the terrifying reality warping the heart of Area X.

In some ways, this book is pure horror. In others, an exquisitely described biological dreamscape. It works as both hard science fiction and as philosophical fantasy. But what particularly fascinates and disturbs me about this incredible novel is how the biologist's transformation, though harrowing and unfathomable, is an utterly natural progression, a plausible, even inevitable evolution. We are all creatures of our environment, after all.
review 2018-01-20 17:25
Review of "No One Lives Twice No One Lives Twice" (Lexi Carmichael #1) - Julie Moffett
No One Lives Twice No One Lives Twice - Julie Moffett

This reader's personal opinion, ©2018, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by goodreads, Google Play, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*

Well, this stayed unexpectedly action-packed start to finish so was fun (particularly when turning to the James Bond international espionage drawing in MI-6, CIA, FBI, NSA...).

I enjoyed the read.

Not sure it's what I'd consider Young Adult.  Lots of romantic possibilities with yummy men (not what I'd consider a love triangle, thank goodness -- but definitely a PG or less explicitness so maybe that accounts for the "YA"?  Lexi is an independent adult with degree, steady job, own home, not a teenager, not a 18-24 college student or new adult, not in any academy type of setting -- pretty much not seeing where this is YA.

Which is a good thing; YA is a love/hate for me with many great books but far more angst-y, clueless, high school-ish, and loveg ringlets.

Read for the booklikes' YA Book Club; I think it may have been just me unless someone has yet to join in or post.

*©2018.  All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher (except Penumbra Publishing) to reprint/quote in whole or in part. I may also have cross-posted on The Reading Room, Libib, LibraryThing, and other sites including retailers like kobo and Barnes and Noble. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties or indicate release of copyright.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept reading in hopes would improve.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)

review 2018-01-10 07:25
Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life
Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life - Helen Czerski

2018:  I re-read this book as part of the Flat Book Society's group read.  I don't want to review it twice, so I'm re-posting my original review.  My feelings about this book stand, and moreover, it holds up on re-reading very well.

-----

2017:  A pretty excellent book for anyone who gets a bit giddy about science and the everyday ways that science is part of everyone's life.

Czerski has a very accessible voice and a very clear way of explaining what are at times complex topics, and she covers the gamut:  electromagnetism, water tension, viscosity, plate tectonics, and Newton's laws of motion (I'm old-school) among them.  I learned so much about so many things and those that I had a basic understanding of, she elucidated in ways that really brought the concepts to life in better detail.  I had no idea that an electromagnet was what held down the tray in my toaster - did y'all know that?  That's why the tray doesn't stay down when the toaster is unplugged.

So much of this book got read out loud to MT, who is not a lover of science, but even he found the bits I shared fascinating (he was equally surprised about the toaster), and there were so many suggestions throughout the book that can easily be done at home; I plan to do several of them with my nieces when next they are here - including building our own trebuchet.

Honestly, anyone interested in science but might feel intimidated by the often tedious or complex explanations, or anyone who just thinks the science involved in the every day fascinating will get a lot out of this book.  Czerski often gets auto-biographical with her narrative, but she is a physicist, so why wouldn't she use her own experiences to illustrate her points?  (For the record, MT and I both think she and her friends got totally screwed on the whole trebuchet debacle.)

Overall, a lot of fun.

PS:  oh, yes, the trebuchet will happen!

Source: www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/mini-trebuchet-science