logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Breathless
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-28 20:50
Historical women shout-outs
Breathless - Beverly Jenkins

The heat now glittering in his eyes touched her like a hand. “You are going to be in so much trouble, Miss Bookkeeper.”

I was really enjoying this one, more so than the first one because I thought the hero and heroine had better back and forth (I still had moments where I thought the dialogue was a bit stop and go), but the last 40% or so was pretty full of dropped in and random threads.
There was some awesome shout-outs to historical women figures and Jenkins does a great job of setting the scene, made you feel the West. There's not a lot of angst between our couple but I enjoyed their chemistry, not scorching but playful.
I just don't understand how the last half ending wasn't cleaned up more, it left you feeling as if alternate endings were dropped in together and messily meshed together.
Going to read the third because Regan was a character that grabbed my attention and Jenkins gives good historical feel and context (There's a tiny Geronimo and Lozen guest appearance here!).

review 2018-06-14 01:35
history meets the present, and love is found in more places than one.
Breathless - Celeste Bradley

This was a fun read, a mixing of past and present with a link between the two. Brenna is drawn to the history of "the Swan", a courtesan. Fitch is drawn to "the Siren" paintings. He finds them for his client. The two bump heads but find love while figure the history out. I loved the mingling of past and present. I tried to guess where the story was going but was not correct. Despite that, I enjoyed this story.

I received a copy of this story through Netgalley, and this is my unsolicited review.

review 2017-11-25 16:36
Telling more than showing
The Breathless - Tara Goedjen

Big, gloomy house - check. A family going back generations - check. Secrets - check. A bit of the supernatural - check. If I were ticking off a list of elements for the making of a Gothic mystery, The Breathless certainly fits the bill. The author sets a scene that is haunting and dark as the story moves back and forth between present day and almost one hundred fifty years ago to the beginnings of Blue Gate and the Cole family. In present day, we have a group of teenagers struggling to deal with the loss of one gone way too soon, a father who has checked out on life, and a grandfather who knows far more than he is able to tell. In the past, we have the story of a young Grady Cole, delving into things better left alone to save those he loves. This spooky tale had the potential to be something unforgettable with mystery and the dark aspect of the supernatural. As our main character, Mae, digs into things best left buried, family secrets are revealed bit by bit. The uncovering of those secrets should’ve leant an air of suspense to the story, but it was a bit too easy to see where it was going. The biggest drawback for this reader was that the story quickly became repetitive and seemed to wander almost aimlessly at times, particularly in the modern day chapters. I also found some of the characters to be more nuisance than any benefit to the tale. For example, Mae’s sister, Elle, was irritating at best and while I kept expecting her to play some role in the storyline, I found no reason for her presence. The question of whether or not Mae’s actions would prove fruitful did keep me reading, but I found the story of Grady Cole and his forbidden love that started it all to be the most interesting parts of this tale and quickly began to look forward to those chapters. In the end, the author’s writing style of telling more than showing and the continual going over and over of the same information made this one a little too easy to set aside for later.

review 2017-08-01 04:54
Reviewed By:  Arlena Dean
Rating: Five
Review:

"Breathless 5: Loving Jacob" by Shani Greene-Dowdell

My Thoughts.... Wow, this was quite a journey of how everything comes together and in the end was worth waiting for... finally getting a HEA!  From this whole Breathless series as in this one the reader will get very well developed and portrayed characters that were for the most part believable and less not forget the hot steamy love scenes as this author knows so well how to keep our interest.

Author:  Shani Greene-Dowdell
Publisher:  Nayberry Publications
Series:  Breathless # 5
Reviewed By:  Arlena Dean
Rating: Five
Review:

"Breathless 5: Loving Jacob" by Shani Greene-Dowdell

My Thoughts....

Wow, this was quite a journey of how everything comes together and in the end was worth waiting for... finally getting a HEA!   From this whole Breathless series as in this one the reader will get very well developed and portrayed characters that were for the most part believable and less not forget the hot steamy love scenes as this author knows so well how to keep our interest.

review 2017-03-19 00:00
Breathless
Breathless - Beverly Jenkins I love that she always throws in great history so that if you are a history buff it makes you want to dig into some non-fiction. Very timely with suffragettes being brought up, especially in how woman of color were treated by their white counterparts in the push for woman's rights to vote and our current political climate with gerrymandering effecting people of color and woman of color being underrepresented in most levels of the political sphere.