logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Cammie-McGovern
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-05-14 23:52
Chester and Gus - Cammie McGovern
Chester and Gus - Cammie McGovern

I am so emotional these days that just reading the blurb made me tear up. What a good dog! I liked that it was written from the dog's perspective, and that Gus was so uncommunicative.

Library copy

review 2016-03-20 20:04
Just My Luck
Just My Luck - Cammie McGovern

I really enjoyed this novel. It was a story with characters that you could relate to and a story which stole your heart. Benny is starting fourth grade and he’s was happy because he heard wonderful things about Mr. Norris, his teacher. Mr. Norris was fun and exciting and Benny needed that as he was starting the year off without a best friend. Kenneth had moved away and he needed to find a replacement.   Benny situation at home was different than his peers. His brother was autistic and his father had just suffered a brain aneurysm for which Benny was blaming himself for.  Benny found comfort at school and he was hoping Mr. Norris would help him forgot his issues at home.   The school year started out fine but soon Mr. Norris started to change.   He was not the person others projected him to be, nor was he the person the students knew from the beginning of the school year, something was different.   Benny and Olga noticed this change immediately and wondered why.

I liked Benny’s relationship with Olga. She was comfortable in her own shoes and she did her own thing. She wasn’t looking for anyone’s approval yet Benny wondered about his relationship with her. I loved Benny relationship with his brother George. George is autistic, a high functioning autistic individual who is happy most of the time. Benny is very patient with George and there is definitely love between these two brothers. Benny knows George is special and he cares for him deeply, you can see that is his mannerism and in the language that he uses with him. There are times when Benny is frustrated with George but most sibling get this way with each other. It’s the stories with his family that touched me the most: the frustration, the love, the commitment, the embarrassment, there were many emotions that were tied to these stories. His father’s recent illness how this affected Benny and his family was moving and powerful and made for a wonderful read.

review 2015-10-08 00:00
Say What You Will
Say What You Will - Cammie McGovern

FIRST OFF I WOULD LIKE TO SAY PLEASE STOP COMPARING BOOKS AND SAYING THEY'RE THE NEXT TFIOS OR ELEANOR AND PARK. MOSTLY BECAUSE I REALLY LIKED TFIOS AND DIDN'T REALLY LIKE ELEANOR AND PARK ok thank you.

This book was not what I was expecting. I, like a few of my other friends who read it, were not expecting what was happening in the third act, and the first few acts I was bored. I hate the constant comparisons to things being the new TFIOS because...it was so unique and had such a fresh perspective on YA lit. Holding this to that standard and then also being unsure considering the comparison to Eleanor and Park, I wasn't sure what to think.

"Say What You Will" follows Amy, a girl with a disability that has prevented her from walking and living what we call a "normal life" and her adventures into having a peer assistant, specifically Matthew who is dealing with his own OCD. When I first started reading this book, I wasn't all that thrilled about it. I figured it was going to be exactly what so many of these books are where two flawed people meet and it's just all perfect and then someone dies. It was like that for the first two acts to be honest, but then it changed.

The third act redeemed this whole book for me. I enjoyed watching these characters grow, although I was really concerned through the whole book that they wouldn't be addressing the real issues but McGovern seemed to do that well. It still felt lacking for me, but it wasn't terrible. Not sure if I would readily recommend it, but the third act was strong. I found myself wishing the rest of the book was just as strong.

Also, when did I stop crying at books? I think I'm going to need to reread Harry Potter just to prove to myself how emotional I still am.

review 2015-05-20 15:32
Review: Say What You Will
Say What You Will - Cammie McGovern

Since being a special needs mom myself, I thought I give this book try. I wanted to see things from another perspective and this story gave me just that.

Plot: This is about a young girl named Amy who has a disability and becomes friends with boy named Matthew. This story tells of their friendship from beginning to end. The good, the bad and the ugly. I really enjoyed how detailed the plot was. There was no painting a pretty picture but really giving a story that tells the truth.

Friendship/Love: Having a disability lots of people think that there is no possible way for love. Yet this story tells otherwise. I like that their friendship goes beyond what anyone would think. I love that their friendship goes through trials and at some points fails. They are just like everyone else, trying to be free and on their own.

Disability: One aspect of the story is the disability itself. When one had a disability there are a lot of no’s. No you can’t do this. No you can’t do that. Guess What? Amy did. She proved people wrong no matter the cost. She got things done on her own and learned. Not everything went perfect with her, but I really admired her strength to do more.

Overall, this is a really story that gives me hope. It’s raw yet real. Say What You Will is great!

review 2015-03-13 00:00
Say What You Will
Say What You Will - Cammie McGovern This book has so much to say about love. It definitely made me think.

Likes:

• Hvad den her bog ikke har at sige om forelskelse og kærlighed… Suk! Den fik virkelig tankerne igang. Vi tænker ikke meget over det til dagligt, men de fysisk handicappede drømmer jo lige så meget om kærligheden som os andre. I Amys tilfælde handler det om, at hun ikke kan snakke uden sin Voicebox. Hun kan ikke altid styre sine bevægelser og sit hoved. Alligevel drømmer hun om kærligheden på præcis samme måde som alle andre gør. Og hvorfor skulle hun ikke også det? Hendes hoved fejler jo ingenting. Det gør hendes hjerte heller ikke. Hun er jo en helt almindelig teenagepige, som bare har nogle ekstra udfordringer. Jeg er vild med, hvordan bogen virkelig fik mig til at tænke over det. For når det kommer til stykket, har vi så i virkeligheden ikke alle lidt fordomme om, at folk som Amy aldrig vil få en kæreste? Men hvorfor egentlig ikke? Fantastisk, hvordan den fik en til at reflektere over tingene.

• Der er sms’er og emails i bogen og det giver et fint afbræk i den ellers normalt opsatte bog, og det kunne jeg godt lide. Er generelt vild med sms og email i mine bøger.

• Der kommer et plottwist i den her bog, som nok er et af de vildeste, jeg nogensinde har oplevet. Det var så vildt! Jeg havde slet, slet ikke set det komme, overhovedet!

• Sarah er en fantastisk biperson. Hun er virkelig en god ven overfor Amy. Så loyal og virkelig i bogstaveligste forstand en ven i nøden. Amy og Matthew groede også på mig; Amy med hendes fysiske udfordringer og en familie, der ikke håndterede alting som de måske burde, og Matthew med hans mentale udfordringer.

• En af de ting, vi hører meget i denne bog er, at “the fear is real, the danger is not.” Det handler om, at Matthew har nogle mentale udfordringer, og Amy lærer ham, at selvom angsten er reel nok, så er faren det ikke. Det synes jeg er værd at tanke over. Det er i hvert fald noget, jeg selv vil tage med mig.

Dislikes:

• Bogen startede utrolig langsomt ud, og jeg følte ikke rigtig noget for hverken Amy eller Matthew. De var der bare og det var ok, men heller ikke mere end det.

• Der er en lille ting ved plottwistet, der irriterede mig. Ville så gerne fortælle hvad det var, men spoilers….