logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Cats
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-26 21:23
SUNSET by Erin Hunter
Sunset - Erin Hunter
Ending of series 2 in the Warriors series.  Some of the story lines are ended but others open up here.  The clans are adjusting to their new homes with the usual fights over borders and Two Legs interfering with the clans' lands.  Leafpaw is getting many visions.  Which are true?  Which are hers?  The prophecy comes true.  But who is the traitor now?  Does Leafpaw confront some of the others or not?

I like this series.  I hope my questions get answered in series 3.  I think I know the answers to my questions but I want confirmation of those answers.  This is a good ending of series 2 and sets up series 3.  Excellent world building.
review 2018-09-02 15:25
The Day of the Dead - Nicci French
The Day of the Dead - Nicci French

Read for the Darkest London square.

Nicci French books are a counter to all those serial killer/women in peril books: there are women in peril, but the women are the protagonists, not some guy coming in to save them. More recent authors in the same vein would be Gillian Flynn and Carol Goodman. I love these sorts of books.

The Frieda Klein series is set primarily in London and one of the notable quirks  of Frieda is that she walks when she can't sleep, which is often all night. There's an interesting parallel with Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series, in that both have the rivers of London running through them as a motif. Anyway Frieda spends a lot of time traveling around London, so the category brought it to mind immediately. That, and the books have a very dark side. But I love them because they also have a great warmth to them. Frieda is a therapist who ends up helping the police with their inquiries when one of her patients is murdered and over the next decade she is involved in other cases in various ways. Anyway, Frieda is a naturally solitary and intensely private one, but she is also very kind, consequently she has a large circle of friends and relations who care deeply for her, and get all up in her business. So despite having dark and brutal crimes, there is this woman on her own in a charming and snug little house, and the varied people who exasperate her with their drama but whom she remains helpful and available for. There is a balance between the two poles of alone and attached that pleases me and soothes me.

This book was a truly satisfying conclusion to the series. There's no attempt to tie up all tje loose ends, but there's quite a bit of resolution.

Highly recommended, and good for Suspence, Terrifying Women, maybe Modern Noir, Murder Most Foul, Amateur Sleuth, and arguably Slasher Stories. The first Frieda Klein novel , Blue Monday, is also the 13th Nicci French novel.

review 2018-08-31 19:45
CATS. IN. SPACE. 2 of 2
CatStronauts: Robot Rescue - Drew Brockington

And so I picked up Robot Rescue which is the 4th book in the series and revolves around a secret mission to rescue their friend Cat-Stro-Bot after he is stranded on a planet during a mission that went horribly awry. As they are not authorized to actually be on this mission, they have to leave replacements back on earth to fool their superiors into thinking they never left...and what better solution than building lookalike robots?! For the kids (or adults with childlike wonder) that like quick, funny graphic novels and/or cats and space this is the perfect series. For myself, this is the best "book filler" I've come across in ages to help to combat my book fatigue.

What's Up Next: Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World by Jennifer Palmieri

What I'm Currently Reading: Star Trek Destiny #1: Gods of Night by David Mack

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com
review 2018-08-31 19:40
CATS. IN. SPACE. 1 of 2
CatStronauts: Space Station Situation - Drew Brockington

I started with book 3 of the CatStronauts series titled Space Station Situation which follows a team of cats in space. CATS. IN. SPACE. Is it any wonder that I started this series?! Picture a world where the entire population is made up of cats EVEN THE PRESIDENT (who is only concerned with his reelection I might add). In this installment, a meteor is headed toward earth and in order to track its progress and hopefully stop it our intrepid heroes must fix the Hubba Bubba Telescope. However, one of their crewmates has abandoned his post after a traumatizing solo flight around the earth in a spacesuit and the mission is sure to fail without him. (His name is Waffles by the way because of course all of the cats have names much like the cats we are familiar with in this reality.) The book is rife with funny puns and asides as well as excellent illustrations. I wouldn't class this as the best graphic novel I've ever read but I liked it well enough to give another book in the series a shot.

I think this is from an earlier book in the series but I don't care cause LOOK. [Source: nerdophiles]

What's Up Next: CatStronauts: Robot Rescue by Drew Brockington

What I'm Currently Reading: Star Trek Destiny #1: Gods of Night by David Mack

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com
review 2018-08-19 17:40
If Cats Disappeared from the World
If Cats Disappeared from the World - Eric Selland,Genki Kawamura

[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

An enjoyable read with an important message about the value we give to life, what we do with our lives, and what we’d be ready to sacrifice to extend them. Confronted to the prospect of dying very soon, in the next few months if not the next few days, the narrator is offered a bargain by the Devil itself, and a tempting one at that: for each thing he erases from the world, he gets to live one more day. Which quickly raises a lot of questions and conundrums, because if it’s worth earning more life time, it has to be a sacrifice… but if we sacrifice too much, is it worth keeping on living?

The chapter with the talking cat was well done, too: first because of the cat’s voice, second because he was very… feline (those bipeds never understand anything to cats, do they?), and third due to his selective memory, something that was sad, but also a reminder that we don’t know how animals think, and what we take for granted may not be what is important to them.

I did find the story too predictable, though, in that the message was obvious from the beginning, and completely expected considering the type of stories it usually goes with. There’s no real twist, nothing I didn’t see coming, and no ‘revelation’ either, if this makes sense—other novels on a similar theme already did it, and this one doesn’t go far enough with the associated tropes to rise above them all. (I also think that the Devil imposing choices about what to make disappear removed the possibility of things going awry because of the narrator: ‘he made me do it, so it’s not my fault’. I prefer when my protagonists make their own mistakes, and then atone for / learn from them.)

3.5 stars.