logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Cats
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-09-11 22:07
MIDNIGHT by Erin Hunter
Midnight by Hunter, Erin [HarperCollins, 2005] Hardcover [Hardcover] - Hunter

A new series in the Warriors series has Brambleclaw receiving a dream from Star Clan.  He along with 3 other cats have received the dream.  What does it mean?  Why are the medicine cats not receiving the dreams?

I liked this story.  It starts off about a year after the first series ends.  We are now just about on the second generation since Firestar has become the leader of Thunder Clan.  Brambleclaw has to determine what his dream means and how the other cats fit in.  They must work together and travel to Midnight.  I like this group of cats.  We still have Firestar and his generation as well as a few elders but this next generation looks like it might change things up in the status quo.  I liked the Yoda-like character that appears.  I am anxiously waiting to see me niece to get the second book in this series.

review 2017-09-06 21:26
Book 56/100: Pete the Cat - the Wheels on the Bus by James Dean
Pete the Cat: The Wheels on the Bus - James Dean

This is my first Pete the Cat book, and I know it's not representative since it's an adaptation of the Wheels on the Bus song rather than an original story. Still, it's tons of fun! The Wheels on the Bus is one of my favorite songs from childhood, and the rhythm it provides makes this a really fun readaloud (even if my month-old baby did start crying halfway through -- I'll force this book on him again when he's older.) Also, you can't really go wrong with these droll illustrations, which serve as a fun counterpoint to the actions you can do with your child at different points in the song. The illustrations seem to tell a subversive story all their own that is completely disregarded in the text -- like, why is there a lone dog riding this bus full of cats? Is he a dog on the outside but a cat on the inside? I look forward to exploring more Pete the Cat!

review 2017-09-02 12:09

Year Read:  2008

Publisher: Holiday House

Source:  Library

Three

“Three Samurai Cats” is an ancient Japanese folktale about how three samurai cats come to the Daimyo’s castle to defeat a savage rat with the last samurai cat giving the rat a taste of his own medicine. Eric A. Kimmel’s hilarious retelling and Mordicai Gerstein’s colorful drawings combine greatly to make a great and funny story from ancient Japan.

Eric A. Kimmel’s humorous storytelling of an ancient Japanese folktale is extremely inventive and witty as the last samurai cat uses a nonviolent stragety to defeat the rat at the end of the book. I found the part where the rat kicks the fierce samurai cat across the room to be extremely funny since the samurai cat looked funny when he crashed to the ground. Mordicai Gerstein’s illustrations are colorful yet scratchy, giving the story a humourous edge. One of the illustrations that really stood out the most for me was the image of Neko Roshi giving an intense look after he had just woken up when the rat yelled out “help!” when he was stuck in the rice ball. Neko Roshi’s eyes look huge like when a cat sees something that terrifies it and his hair also stood on its end.

Three

“Three Samurai Cats” is an excellent story about how violence does not always solve the problem and how clear thinking can always win the battle if you allow the right moment to come. I would recommend this book to children ages five and up since the younger children might not understand the Japanese vocabulary, such as daimyo and docho.

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Banner

review 2017-08-26 22:52
How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you...
How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You - Matthew Inman,The Oatmeal

I do not regret this impulse buy.

It's not hysterical, but it is funny. I think I'll be leaving it out so that my friends can laugh at me (and it) when they come over.

Hmm...perhaps  I should be wary of reading portions of it out loud in front of my cat...

There isn't anything about sneezing, so I guess sneezes just mean that your cat is sick in some way and not actively trying to kill you. He'll wait till he's feeling better.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a few of the panels that particularly amused me.

This one was part of the sequence "cat vs internet":

review 2017-08-13 03:20
FARFEL AND BOB'S SUMMER BROMANCE by Kendra Carmichael
Farfel and Bob's Summer Bromance (Bromance Cats Book 1) - Kendra Carmichael

Creative story of how Bob, a cat, spends his time while his human, Marcia, is out of town.  His neighbor, Farfel, brings offers over and puts them on the front doorstep.  Marcia is not pleased.  Then she discovers what is happening.

I enjoyed this story.  Told with words and drawings it is imaginative.  Marcia's thought processes are interesting.  Wrong, but interesting.  I would read more of Bob and Farfel.