logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Cats
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-14 22:58
Herding Cats - Sarah Andersen

Ehhhh... io AMO e voglio sposare questa donna! OMG! Le sue vignette sono come al solito spassosissime e rappresentano in pieno la mia vita (a parte quelle dedicate all'arte e alla vita degli artisti ovviamente... io a malapena so disegnare un cerchio!). Incredibile vedere come nonostante gli anni Sarah stia riuscendo a portare avanti questo "progetto" senza renderlo per forza banale... le sue vignette continuano ad essere geniali e nonostante tra tutti mi sia piaciuto forse un filino in meno... mi sento di consigliarlo ugualmente a..... TUTTI! Sono sicura che troverete un pizzico di Sarah in ognuno di voi LMAO!

review 2019-01-04 20:15
Herding Cats - Sarah Andersen
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

This is the first Sarah's Scribbles book I have read. I have seen her work on various social media platforms and found them always good for a laugh so when I saw this book at the library, I picked it up for a quick read.

It was amazing. Very funny, as I excepted. But the reason I gave it 5 stars as opposed to 4 stars is that there were enough serious comics to balance out the funny. I especially liked the one about the bullied becoming the bully. Yes, this collection is fun and relateable, but it also makes you think about the world.

At the end of the book, there is an illustrated essay about life as an artist. It is very motivational and inspiring. Great way to end the book.

This was a wonderful read and I have already requested Andersen's first two collections from the library. I can't wait to read more.
review 2019-01-01 02:10
They All Saw a Cat - Brendan Wenzel
They All Saw a Cat - Brendan Wenzel

Cool book. Nice use of art to show different perspectives juxtaposed with a repetitive, rhythmic text. The sort of book that can make repeated re-reads a delight. It lends itself to open speculation on the nature of seeing and the nature of depiction. It also makes me want to set loose a whole classroom in the art supplies to see how many different styles of cat they can come up with.. I'm going to follow this cat into a metaphysical/artistic  rabbit hole: don't wait up for me.

Library copy

review 2018-12-27 17:44
All Cats have Asperger Syndrome, Kathy Hoopmann
All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome - Kathy Hoopmann

Here's a delightful book explaining the traits of Asperger's Syndrome, with short, simple text over illustrative and cute pics of kittens and cats. It's obviously aimed at children but it wouldn't be a bad first place to start learning as an adult and it only takes a few minutes to read cover to cover. The idea probably came from the quote "Cats are autistic dogs," which is quite apt...

Quibbles:
1. The convention is "Asperger's Syndrome," not "Asperger Syndrome."
2. A small number of the traits mentioned do not apply to all but the phrasing suggests they do.
3. The gendered language, "His..." throughout is frustrating because Aspergirls exist and this could give the impression that they don't. It's avoidable just by rephrasing to refer to plural Aspies.

review 2018-11-27 02:14
Six Cats a Slaying
Six Cats a Slayin' (Cat in the Stacks Mystery) - Miranda James

Charlie goes out and finds a box of five kittens on his porch with a note asking him to take care of the kittens, because "he" said he is going to drown them. Charlie brings in the kittens and starts caring for them with the help of his cat, Diesel. While this is happening a mysterious woman moves into the house across the street from him. She is very flirtatious and seems to be looking for a wealthy man to take care of her, but also is a realtor who wants to "sell" the houses of her neighbors. She has a party and during the party, she dies. This is where Charlie starts using his skills for research to find out more about the woman and learns more than he thought that helps Keisha Berry find out who murdered the woman. He also tries to find out who the child is that left the kittens on his doorstep, as "she" seems to be keeping track of the kittens and leaving money to help care for the kittens.

This was such a great story. It looks at how a new mom can need help and how children can overhear a conversation and not understand all that is happening. This would fit under my holiday listing.