logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Chars-Horror-Corner
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-18 15:18
The Memory of Running, Written and Narrated By Ron McClarty
The Memory of Running - Recorded Books LLC,Ron McLarty,Ron McLarty

This was so damn good! That is all.

review 2017-06-18 15:09
The Boy on the Bridge by M.R. Carey
The Boy on the Bridge - M.R. Carey

The Boy on the Bridge is the, (at least for me), eagerly awaited prequel to The Girl With All the Gifts. This book tells the story of how the abandoned tank/lab they found in TGWAtG, the Rosalind Franklin, got to be where she was and what happened to her crew.

It also tells the story of a special boy on board, (who was possibly autistic?), along with the crew consisting of both military and civilian/scientific contingents. They are ordered out to reconnoiter and to collect lab samples. That's all I'll say about the plot.

In a way, this book is like TGWAtG, except instead of a special girl, we have a special boy. There is also the fact that we know the ending from the get-go, and I think that took away from the suspense a little bit. Lastly, I'm not sure all the science-y bits actually made sense, but even if they did I wasn't much interested in that aspect of the story. I'm more interested in the characters and whether or not they survive. Perhaps some sort of explanation was required, but I think it slowed the story down. I wanted to know more about Stephen and if what he had was actually autism or something else entirely.

The ending here scored BIG with me, though, and it made up for the times I thought the story was slow. Overall, I did enjoy the heck out of this story and I'm wondering if there will be another? If there is, sign me up now!

You can get your copy here: The Boy on the Bridge

*Thanks to NetGalley and Orbit for the e-ARC in exchange for my honest review. This is it!*

review 2017-06-13 18:45
The Fever by Megan Abbott
The Fever - Kirby Keyborne,Caitlin Davies,Megan Abbott

The Fever features more messed up girls from Megan Abbotts' dark, dark high school world.

I liked how it all worked out in the end, and I wondered if the "fever" ended up referencing the parents and other town officials, rather than the illness itself? When people's children are possibly in danger, there's no telling what parents will do to protect them.

As with most of Ms. Abbott's books that I've read so far though, it's the teenage girls that are the scariest of all-BY FAR. I could see parts of myself and parts of other girls I knew in high school in these characters.

I found The Fever to be slightly repetitive and I disliked the narrator of Deenie's father. The other two narrators were great and contributed a lot to my overall enjoyment of this book.

I look forward to reading more from Megan Abbott.

review 2017-06-12 18:45
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger-The Man in Black
Dark Tower: The Gunslinger: The Man in Black - Robin Furth,Alex Maleev,Stephen King,Peter David

"Go then. There are other worlds than these."

And I might just do that after the next graphic novel in the series, which finishes off this story arc.

This installment completely changed what happened in the books, and I'm okay with that, I guess. However, that combined with the artwork, which I still don't feel is on par with the earlier graphic novels, may be enough for me to quit the series entirely. That goes against my completist nature, but life is too short and I want to read ALL the books. Choices must be made and I'm not sure the rest of this series will make the cut.

review 2017-06-11 14:42
Mapping the Interior by Stephen Graham Jones
Mapping the Interior - Stephen Graham Jones

Mapping the Interior touched me in a way that's hard to define.

A young man, missing and thinking of the father who died before he could really be known, believes he saw his father coming through a doorway. From there, we learn more about this young man, his family, Native American culture, and superstitions.

In a way, this could be interpreted as a ghost story. In another interpretation it could be thought of a coming of age story-with perhaps a little psychological horror on the side. However it's interpreted, whatever genre it's labeled, the fact remains that it moves the reader. It's a powerful piece of work.

I'm not going to go further into the plot, because I think the reader should discover it for themselves. I know that it brought me back to certain points in my childhood and how I felt about things, but I can't seem to adequately explain how it made me feel. Mapping the Interior resonated deeply with me and I'll have to leave it at that.

I give it my highest recommendation.

You can order a copy here: Mapping the Interior

*Thanks to Tor and to NetGalley for the e-ARC of this novella, in exchange for my honest review. This is it.*