logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Chars-Horror-Corner
Load new posts () and activity
Like Reblog Comment
review 2019-07-25 16:42
SKIN by Kathy Koja, narrated by Suzanne T. Fortin
Skin - Crossroad Press,Suzanne Fortin,Kathe Koja

SKIN was way out of my comfort zone, but I'm so glad I gave it a shot. It was amazing!

This is the story of two women, Tess and Bibi. Artists. Body Art. Performance Art. Body Horror. Body modifications. Cutting. Lesbians. Bisexuals. Heart. Sculpture. Welding. Feeling. Cult Mentality. Hangers-on. Groupies. Darkness. Death. Wish you were dead. Wish I was dead. And finally? Love. I love you.

Written in a prose that was sharp, stabbing, and staccato-like, SKIN takes some getting used to. I took a stab at it above, (get it? HA!), and it's much harder than it looks. (Or in this case, harder than it sounds, since I listened to this on audio.) I was amazed at how much the author was able to get across in so few words. Seriously, I was and still am astonished by it all.

I don't want to go into the plot too much, because it should unfold as the author intended. However, I did feel for these characters, I felt their pain and their need to be heard and loved. Though at other times I wanted to punch them both in the face. Either way, this book reached out to me and made me FEEL. Also, I feel like I accomplished something by surviving the experience, because this book was brutal at times.

At first I didn't care for the narration at all, but then I realized it was the prose that bothered me. As I said above, it takes some getting used to. Once I was more familiar with the writing style, the narration settled right into my head and this became more of a visual experience than a literary one. I'm not sure I'm making sense here, but looking at the other reviews, I don't think I'm the only one having trouble describing this book.

It's gory, heartbreaking, thrilling, cringe-inducing stuff. SKIN makes you think, it makes you face your fears, even as the characters attempt to face theirs. This tale isn't going to work for everyone, but it certainly worked for me!

Highly recommended!

*I was provided an Audible Audio code for this book by the narrator, in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it!*

Like Reblog Comment
review 2016-10-20 15:33
The Only Living Boy #3, Once Upon A Time
The Only Living Boy #3: Once Upon a Time - David Gallaher,Steve Ellis

Young Erik Farrell is once again mixed up with Doctor Once in the most visually stunning issue yet!

Finding himself the subject of Doctor Once's experiments, Erik struggles not to give up and continues to fight to regain his memory. As Doctor Once tries to figure out the secret of Erik's strength, a few bits and pieces of Erik's past come to life and what a dark story it is.

The Only Living Boy series is beautifully illustrated and delivers some important messages about life, death and not giving up.

Recommended for young graphic novel lovers looking for adventure!

You can get your copy here: The Only Living Boy 3: Once Upon a Time

*I was given an advance PDF of this issue by the author to honestly review.*